• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption - 360 & PS3 comparison (Bish-approved!)

Forsete

So thats it huh? Reading the official thread I thought the difference would be much bigger.
This will do until the ultimate version is released.

Launch

Banned
PS3 version according to GAF:

reddead_031804_005.jpg

Struct09

Ben Sones said:
I'm no expert in these matters, but doesn't the image get scaled for the target output by the console? So you'll end up with a 720p image no matter what resolution the renderer is using, yes?

You are correct. 640p isn't a resolution that a TV could accept, so the image will always be scaled and output to 720p/1080i/1080p (720p in this case).

BurritoBushido said:
Is there a conclusion yet I am tired and I don't want to read this thread.
The simple conclusion is if you have both get the 360 unless you have some other compelling reason to get the PS3 version. If you just have a PS3 or 360, get it, love it, and don't ever read this thread again.

GreekWolf

Went out in a blaze of glory, didn't he?

I'm still convinced we're dealing with a mentally handicapped individual. No one can be that stupid.

Pooya

it was on DF twitter that they will get the game on Friday, so if you're waiting for any comparison it's not coming this week unless LoT guys do it.

goonergaz

Abnormalia said:
1. yeap silent. 1 got now 1 80 GB MGS4 edition, 1 brand new slim, and 1 jasper xbox.

even at night both 3 are perform produce same level of noise.

2. I just checked some old disks. few are 2 year old. where should I look for those scratches ?

3. I and my kid have 1 account and 2.8$ month NP at all.

1) so is it "same level of noise" or silent? make your mind up - all I said was that it wasn't silent

2) I never said your disks are scratched, someone else brought that up - you said installing would mean the disks wouldn't be needed - I just corrected you

3) so, how do you seperate the friends lists? BTW, in the UK the price is around double $2.80 and I would likre 5 live acounts like on my PS3 - all with seperate friends and games saves...if there is a way to do this I'd love to know.

Dabanton

goonergaz said:
1) so is it "same level of noise" or silent? make your mind up - all I said was that it wasn't silent

2) I never said your disks are scratched, someone else brought that up - you said installing would mean the disks wouldn't be needed - I just corrected you

3) so, how do you seperate the friends lists? BTW, in the UK the price is around double $2.80 and I would likre 5 live acounts like on my PS3 - all with seperate friends and games saves...if there is a way to do this I'd love to know.

Are you still at it? :lol

FrankT

Ben Sones said:
I'm no expert in these matters, but doesn't the image get scaled for the target output by the console? So you'll end up with a 720p image no matter what resolution the renderer is using, yes?

I'm really more concerned with framerate discrepancies between the two versions. Does anyone have more info on that?

This about the only real discussion as far as comparison has gone on that end so far;

Magnus said:
A number of people have PM'd me, asking me to post my impressions having played both for a number of hours each.

Honestly, all the information from official sources of coverage by now will render most of my comments from the last few days useless, but in general, despite being a ridiculous PS3 fanboy, I'm deciding on the 360 version, purely for two reasons: the undebatably improved framerate (which I'm particularly anal about) and the undebatably faster loading times (literally half the length of loads on the PS3 version, and often far shorter than even that -- referring to both the startup first load, and the loads/saves before/after each mission).

One addendum -- I have it installed to the 360 HD, which may have a lot to do with the improved frames/loads, etc.

Both versions are super awesome, and as most have said, if you're not sensitive to either qualm, the main considerations should be your system's reliability (RROD), controller preference (people really seem to hate L2/R2 aiming on the PS3, which I thought was just fine), and if you're into multiplayer, your friends list and the cost of Live. I don't have experience with the apparently horrendous Gamespy to comment on how that would hinder the PS3 MP experience.

Love you all long time.

Magnus said:
The 360 version goes below 30 during hectic moments too. But anyone with eyes will notice a difference between the two, just swinging the camera around in a quiet settlement early in the game, nevermind while actually on missions.

But seriously -- they're both so playable and fine. This thread isn't even necessary.

heavy framerate drops in the PS3 version (Cynamite)
- small framerate dips in the 360 version (Cynamite)

You'll have to wait for further analysis from DF or LoT if you want more.

butts

Jesus christ reading this thread would make me believe that console noise is the biggest issue in some people's lives.

goonergaz

@butts - TBH it's more distracting to me than playing a game at 640p...if I wanted a reliable buzz while I played I could get the mrs a jumbo vibro

Takuan

Reported frame-rate drops for the Triple make me wanna wait for the inevitable PC release... or a bombaton price drop. I really didn't like the sluggishness of GTAIV, so I'll avoid RDR.

goonergaz said:

1. same level and all are silent. As I mentioned my 80 YLOD-ed 2 weeks ago. before fix it was getting quite loud after I was turning it in in 30 min or so. I fixed it, cleared dust inside and on fan and now it's quite as well.

2. Ok got it :)

3. We have same 90% friends so np here as well. We also have 1 acc on PS3.

btw. how PSN vs XBLA speed are for you ? demos and updates takes forever for me on PSN for some reason. UPnP is on and NAT Type is 2 as well. XBLA works way faster.

goonergaz

Abnormalia said:
1. same level and all are silent. As I mentioned my 80 YLOD-ed 2 weeks ago. before fix it was getting quite loud after I was turning it in in 30 min or so. I fixed it, cleared dust inside and on fan and now it's quite as well.

2. Ok got it :)

3. We have same 90% friends so np here as well. We also have 1 acc on PS3.

ah OK, all cleared up - I'm sure you understand with 2 acounts it's not so bad but I have 2 teenage kids and last thing I need is some young girlie wanting to play with me...actually...:lol

Jtones

Banned
The resolution is 1280x720 so it must be 720p! See, all that time that people said gta 4 was sub-hd was for nothing! Haha, suckers

Ainigma said:
There are very few TV's that support Full RGB, Sony's X Range (in the Uk at least) Support this, and when used increase colour ranges without effecting brightness, as FULL RGB doesn't when tv's aren't compatible, but gives what appears to be a better contrast.

I prefer FULL RGB set to on though for most games with my TV's Brightness increased slightly.

Yep. In the end it is all about whatever makes you happiest. I did like the look of having Full RGB on. When I found out that it wasn't made for (most) TV's, including mine, I thought about it for a while and decided I would be happiest knowing I was looking at the truest possible version of the signal coming from the system.

For those that like it dark on their sets, I would suggest setting it to Limited RGB and adjusting the in game brightness to give the effect. At least that way you give yourself the possibility of having a dark game with the darker shades being somewhat indistinguishable. If you had set it to Full RBG and default settings, those "shades" would all be one block of black.

LQX

Valru said:
http://media.rockstargames.com/socialclub/mcla/hollywood_auto_garage/c33.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa148/SIPYEKNOD/gnx2.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://frogmedia.org/images/mcla1.jpg/IMG][/QUOTE]
What level do you get those on?

Althoran

So is the PS3 version better than GTA 4 (not the episodes)? Because I played GTA 4 on my PS3 and thought it looks great.

MercuryLS

Banned
So I ended up opting for the PS3 version. Looks great but jaggies are very noticeable, especially in the cutscenes. In gameplay it's not that noticeable.

I'm happy with the way it looks and runs.

Loudninja

dralla

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2010/05/read-dead-redemption-360-vs-ps3-our-thoughts.ars

This is non-scientific, but after playing an hour of both games, and switching back and forth between the two systems on our display, it's clear that the 360 version has quite the graphical advantage. It's sharper, with much less aliasing. The faces of the characters were clearer in the opening section. Gameplay sections likewise looked better, with smoother graphics across the board. The PlayStation 3 version looked impressive, but there was a noticeable jump in quality while playing on the 360.

edit. beaten

coopolon

Based on this thread and the Ars article I cancelled my PS3 pre-order and got it on the 360. Sucks for Sony that they couldn't work with R* to get this shit taken care of after GTAIV.

BurritoBushido said:
Is there a conclusion yet I am tired and I don't want to read this thread.

Get the version where your friends are playing so you can posse up. If you are playing alone and you have both consoles, get the 360 version.

LuigiLogik

Neo Member
Well I've made my choice , I'm going with the 360 version.. because it looks better, because it runs better, but mostly because i don't have PS3 yet.

wizword said:
There is no need for this topic.
for us multi-owners there is

Bayonetta thread helped me allot

help me again, GAF!

*i like GTA4 better on PS3 because the fences and rails were not blurred out like the 360's were

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
gutter_trash said:
for us multi-owners there is

Bayonetta thread helped me allot

help me again, GAF!

*i like GTA4 better on PS3 because the fences and rails were not blurred out like the 360's were

The 360 version didn't really have an issue with blurring, it was the dithering effect that some people didn't like including myself, I preferred the PS3's blurrovision because it helped makes things look smoother in the background and because of GTAIV environment being heavy on geometries it was the one game where I preferred the Vaseline effect over the dithering.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
I bought the PS3 version and cut myself on the jaggiez walking out the store

heading home to drink beer and play this game with bandaged hands :(

Top Bottom