• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just got beat up badly: How do you guys fight? (if at all...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
that type of attitude is frowned upon here (and with good reason I suppose, we look like a bunch of chimps if we're just fighting over such...non important things)

but I am definitely tempted to bring some friends out next time. But that's only if I see him again (and if he's by himself etc. etc.).....

Panzon

Damn OP sorry to hear this but maybe you should look into joining a martial arts gym if you have the funds. At least you can learn basic defense and whatnot

NomarTyme

that type of attitude is frowned upon here (and with good reason I suppose, we look like a bunch of chimps if we're just fighting over such...non important things)

but I am definitely tempted to bring some friends out next time. But that's only if I see him again (and if he's by himself etc. etc.).....

Honestly you got to bring a weapon of sorts, a deadly weapon! Makes thing whole lot easier.

Damn OP sorry to hear this but maybe you should look into joining a martial arts gym if you have the funds. At least you can learn basic defense and whatnot

Pretty sure fetal position is the best defense against a group of people.

LuchaShaq

Banned
There is no getting used to getting hit. Take it from a person who used to spar with people twice his size twice weekly. There is no getting used to getting hit.

h.

Can't disagree with you more. Even before I sparred in fights getting hit in the head was usually soft compared to a football collision so it was no biggie unless it hit me in/near the eye (then i'm a big crybaby). Now after sparring for a couple years? Getting hit went from not a big deal to unnoticeable unless I get clipped.

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
The simple answer is don't fight. Not unless you absolutely have to.

I don't know if there ever really was a time when two guys with beef could duke it out like gentlemen without serious injury or outside interference and become bros in mutual respect after the fact but it damn sure isn't likely today. Today people will not only fight for stupid reasons, they'll maim and kill for them. Outnumbered? Tough luck, because however many friends the other guy has will tell you the number of boots that will be coming down on your skull. And that's assuming you're lucky and one of them doesn't have a gun or knife and an ego they'd literally kill to protect. It's just not worth it these days.

vaelic

Banned
Okay...well this happened a few hours ago. I suppose I should start the story off before I start asking for advice and stuff but....damn I got beat up pretty freaking badly.

So I'm friends with this girl (lol friendzoned etc. etc., nah it aint like that. I've been really tight with her for about 6 years. There is sexual tension once in a while which is inevitable but I just attempt to get with her friends cause I'd never wanna fuck this up oh man I'm going off on a tangent my bad back to the story)

background history
Well anyways a couple weeks ago I went out with some friends including her, and her muthafucking ex-boyfriend shows up. This would be cool if he was cool and shit but apparently this was that abusive badboy aj from backstreet boys muthafucka. So I kinda relax, I don't want to start any shit. I'm friendly as fuck with everyone.

A couple days later she tells me that her ex was all jealous and shit (yeah I wasn't doing anything, just talking to her like I always do though) and he was calling her a skank and saying racial slurs about me in these text messages.

She goes to the bathroom. I get my drizzy drake on and check her phone to see what this muthafucka said, and God-damn it pissed me off a lot. I should have let it slide but he was definitely going overboard with some of the comments.

Today
Small-town, I run into him and a couple of his friends (this is where I get fucked up) today outside a mall. I was swaggered up listening to that LiveLoveASAP so for some reason my confidence is at the point where I'm willing to provoke him in front of some of his friends.

First thing this guy does is try to act all cool and stuff with me, like a snake. Mr. Iago from Othello being like "oh how you been?" and shit like that. Well I mention the messages I read and there was definitely a change in tone of his voice.

We were doing the whole face-to-face Monday Night Raw thing and then it escalated to shoving and the like. I was handling myself fairly well with the dude but it got really fucking ugly very soon. His friends jumped in and got me on the ground and started booting the shit out of me. I did that "fetal position" thing with emphasis on covering my head most of all.

Now I've got welts all over my torso and I'm sore as fucking hell. I also got one of those silly looking bruises on the bridge of my nose and it's gonna be a bitch to go to school and explain these. I'm probably just gonna say I fell down the stairs if anybody asks.

I need your advice
I've been in a few fights here and there (mostly when I was a lot younger though, like junior year of high school and junior high and shit like that).

HOW DO YOU DEAL WITH GETTING HIT? I've heard the old saying that you get 'used to the pain' but dear God it fucking hurt (tears in my eyes fam! but no time to cry when you've got to cover your shit). It was bad enough with the one dude but when the other 2 jumped in it was pretty excruciating.

Has anybody ever had to deal with more than one person before? I'm sure there are people capable of it, but personally I think only Batman can juggle this shit. I probably would have been fine if it was just the one dude, I was doing alright and I gave as well as received but once again the hits all hurt pretty bad. When THEY jumped in, I knew I was done for.

TL:DR - My face hurts, my body hurts. I was stupid as fuck and should have approached him at a more appropriate time if at all

Sorry for the long-winded explanation. I just assumed I should be as descriptive as possible with a thread like this.
here's a tip, dont fight. be civil

KingK

How old are you? If you're not in High School, I would probably press charges. I've been in two "fights" in my life. Once in Jr. High and once in my Freshman year of high school. I'm a super skinny guy (6 feet tall, 145 pounds), plus I think fighting is stupid, so I never actually even bothered fighting back.

In Jr. High, I got beat the fuck up by about 6 guys because I decided I would be stubborn and not let them take the basketball my friends and I were using during recess. I was on the ground in the fetal position getting kicked and punched by 6 guys, lol. It was dumb, they got a detention, and most of us were chill a couple years later.

Freshman year of high school, in Gym class, some dudebro decided to yell at me for losing the game for our team in dodgeball or some shit. I then started insulting him pretty hardcore, iirc, saying shit like "In ten years, when you're working a minimum wage job as a high school drop out and I'm making 80K a year, nobody's gonna give a fuck that you were better than me at dodgeball in 9th grade." Dude got pissed and hit me in the face. I have a pretty high pain tolerance, so I just laughed in his face and asked him if that's the best he could do. He hit me a few more times in the gut and I just kept laughing at him and pissing him off until the teacher came over and stopped it. A year later we actually became decent friends and smoked pot together a few times, lol.

royalan

First off, never ever get into a fight over a girl. Especially a girl you aren't fucking. Yeah the ex is a tool, but he's still HER problem. Playing the white knight is never a good look. Never.

Also, never initiate violence against a group when you're solo. Hell, never initiate violence, period. But, if you find yourself in a confrontation against multiple people...

1) Stay focused. This is where it comes apart for most people. All they see is multiple people rushing them at once and their brain freezes. Bam, fight's over before you can even think of throwing a punch. Breathe. Be prepared. Unless you're completely naive you can't tell me you didn't expect his friends to help him. Size them up (any exposed necks or groins? Which one's closest, which one looks most likely to attack you first, etc). Basically, the entire time you should have been mentally preparing yourself for all of them attacking you.

2) Be mindful of them all, but focus on one. Someone above suggested attacking all at once. Wrong. Unless you're Bruce Lee and can hit several men with a single jump kick you'll just end up flailing like an idiot. Focus on the most immediate threat and keep him between you and the others until he is disabled. As soon as he's disabled, focus on the next threat and repeat. Keep in mind this has to be quick or you'll still be overwhelmed. This is where having some actual fighting ability comes in handy.

3) Avoid letting anyone get behind you at all costs. Self explanatory, really. The best way to keep from being surrounded is to stay moving. Stay on your toes and keep your movements unpredictable. They can't surround you if you're not in the same spot for longer than a split second.

4) Always be looking for an escape route.

5) If you get knocked down, get one of them down on the ground with you. Doesn't matter how you get it done, just get it done. Latch on to a leg or something. Mobs are stupid; get one of their pals down on the ground and they're less likely to go all out with the kicking if it means accidentally hitting their friend. It's not guaranteed, but there are ways of forcing 1on1. Keep #4 in mind, too.

I could tell you more, but then you'd really need self-defense training to get it. In the meantime, just don't be stupid and avoid these kinds of scenarios. Even people who have the training avoid this shit.

Panzon

Yea but if he knew how to defend himself the proper way he could've knocked the other guy out or slammed him before it got as far as it did and his friends would've thought twice about jumping him. Anything could've happened

If anything this ordeal was kind of the final push to convince me to go join muay thai. Not for retaliation or to start fights or dumb stuff like that. But it would be nice to know something aside from the usual 'flail until somebody gets knocked out' thing, and my friend joined about a year ago and it's gotten him much more fit (he was a skinny dude prior to joining).

I've always been half-assed about working out and shit but I'm definitely gonna have to change that mindset.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
You were stupid, immature and did a really dumb thing. You got beat up so bad you can't even spell motherfucker right.

Im a Brazilian Jiu jitsu instructor.....I fight using that, and kickboxing which I've trained for a long time.....

If your're short on time and don't have years to learn, watch bas ruttens bar fight tutorial on youtube....

Mr.Swag

Banned
If anything this ordeal was kind of the final push to convince me to go join muay thai. Not for retaliation or to start fights or dumb stuff like that. But it would be nice to know something aside from the usual 'flail until somebody gets knocked out' thing, and my friend joined about a year ago and it's gotten him much more fit (he was a skinny dude prior to joining).

I've always been half-assed about working out and shit but I'm definitely gonna have to change that mindset.
I did muay Thai for a year, the only problem was I hated jui juitsu, and most gyms ( at least in my area) are muay Thai and jui juitsui. I hate ground fights and wrestling and that led to me stopping going to the gym.
But the little muay thai I did was probably the best confidence booster ever. My elbows and knees would surely win me a fight.

Panzon

Best decision you can make followed up by basic jiu jitsu sometime in the future

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
..you're complaining that his friends helped when you randomly walk up and start shit? What is wrong with you?
Stomping's overboard, but all this "I was spying on your girl, and got pissed at something you said in that I found while spying... NOW I HUNT!"

Yeah, don't do that or pick a fight with three guys. That's stupid lined with dumb. I can't see anything in the OP's story that wouldn't red flag him with the girl even if he'd managed to beat off three guys at once.

Multiple people, your only shot is to keep moving so only one can get at you at a time until you can score something that'll slow one of them down like a nut shot and disengage.

royalan

Honestly, for someone like you I would suggest Kenpo Karate. Muy Thai is great and I've trained in it a bit. But it's a very specific and mostly tournament-based style (especially the way most people teach it these days, cashing in on UFC hype).

For someone who just wants to learn the basic principles of defending themselves in a wide variety of scenarios, Kenpo is a much more well-rounded martial art to learn.

highrider

Banned
i'm 44 and a veteran of many fights as a younger man. in my experience fighters are born not made. someone that has the heart of a fighter would never initiate contact in the first place. a fighter would never submit to a beating. i knew guys in the army that were the most chill people, but they were true gladiators in a physical fight.

it's important in life to recognise our limitations. you could train and become an mma dude, but that would just be attempting to alter your natural self. there was a guy named kevin turner in the town i grew up in. he weighed about 150, maybe 5'9. most devistating street fighter i've ever seen. he could literally destroy peoples faces. nicest guy, stoner, but was just a natural fighter. people would start shit with him all the time because he was known throughout the area. i've seen many a blackbelt get slaughtered by him. he could fight like pete sampras played tennis, effortless.

avoid fights, and if you have to fight do it for the right reasons.

Fighting is idiotic. Here's a protip: don't fight with people, unless you're an uneducated preening douche with something to prove.

Yup. NEVER get into a fight. Even if you know what you are doing, fighting should be the last option.

Sorry to hear about the injuries though.

besada

Banned
lol, this is an almost non-existant opinion on gaf but just cause she's a girl doesn't mean she can't be my bro. I would go into the fiery depths of mordor for her, we've got a close friendship.

Such a good friend you invaded her privacy by going through her phone? And how good a friend will you be when she finds out you did it, after the guy who kicked your ass tells her you read her texts?

I'd worry less about how I was going to tell my classmates than how I was going to tell her that read her private texts and inserted my dumb ass into her relationship with her ex.

(._.)

Banned
the guys a fucking punk ass bytch. his friends went in on you so it isn't like you got a fair one or anything. even if he let you get up and get one in you're still at a disadvantage.

my advice would be to not pick fights unless you got some boys behind you cause shit like this will happen. apart from that you just need to toughen up. idk maybe read up and train on basic self defense. maybe go to the ymca for some women's self defense training (aha)

You stooped to that ape's level. Are you an ape? Second mistake, taking him on when he had his friends there? Most people can't throw or take a punch so I don't know if you need to learn how to fight. Fighting is stupid and very risky so don't ever do it again.

Fusebox

Banned
You walk up and say "Hey man, just wanted to talk to you about" BAM! headbutt the bridge of his nose and then unload lefty and righty all over his face.

HiResDes

You walk up and say "Hey man, just wanted to talk to you about" BAM! headbutt the bridge of his nose and then unload lefty and righty all over his face.

I know you're kidding, but that's just about the only chance you've got, and then after he goes down, run...LOL

eastmen

Banned
IF you really want to start shit against 4 people or more you better have some sort of weapon or be really fast / strong. You'd have a chance if you were able to take two guys out quickly , but really your just going to get your ass kicked unless you know how to fight and they don't .

in terms of fighting one on one , you can't be scared to fight , if he hits you then its on and you have to shut him down as quickly as possible, i would sugest a quick punch to the chest plate where the neck meets it. Its hurts like hell and wont cause much lasting damage (if any at all) after that hit just keep punching him till he goes down and then back off

Can't disagree with you more. Even before I sparred in fights getting hit in the head was usually soft compared to a football collision so it was no biggie unless it hit me in/near the eye (then i'm a big crybaby). Now after sparring for a couple years? Getting hit went from not a big deal to unnoticeable unless I get clipped.

Hahahaha. My instructor used to always say, "Only fools stand around and get hit. You should never get used to getting hit. You should be the one hitting. If you're building up a tolerance you're slow in more ways than one."
That's a direct quote too, he was a 3rd Dan in TKD.

Jonm1010

Banned
As someone who bartneded and bounced for most of college, there are a few general rules I try to stick to:

generally fighting is stupid and should be a last course of action.

Fights tend to end up with you either in the hospital, jail, a courtroom or being tracked down by the persons friends to fight you(or worse) at a latter date.

If the confrontation is happening at a bar or club and you are one of those types that doesnt want to look like a pussy in front of your date or something. The best way to avoid a fight and not look like an idiot is to keep a mild distance, get loud to draw attention of bartenders/bouncers - letting them get in the middle of it - and then let yourself get separated and then either come to a mutual understanding to drop aggressions or let them kick you out and go somewhere else. Most of the time the staff will make a judgement call and keep one party in the club while sending the other party to their vehicle and ordered to leave the premises. In order to make sure neither party starts a fight in the parking lot. Your best bet is to be the one to get sent out. Eliminates the chance of the other party waiting in the parking lot til close.

if somehow you end up feeling that fighting must happen, some things to remember:

1.) Numbers usually win. Some of the bars I worked at didnt have the biggest staff(including me, my peak size when heavily working out was 6 foot 200lbs) but most bars, especially college bars and large clubs, have a lot of staff. 4 or 5 guys causing a ruckus is no match for 10-15 bouncers. likewise one guy starting shit 99 times out of 100 isnt going to win when hes up against 4 or 5 other guys. Probably not when its even one vs two or three.

2.)Give the first punch, and make it count! The first punch tends to either end the fight or put the assaulter in a strong position of advantage. Yeah, by legal standards you become in the wrong, but frankly, if its come down to having to fight, your gonna want to win. Dont push or stare down, quickly think of the best way to land a crippling blow and dont hesitate to take it.

3.)Keep swinging until the other person is down and unless highly trained, try to avoid taking the fight to the ground. - goes without saying though, you started a fight, so finish it fast. No sense in throwing one punch and letting the person get orientated again. As for taking the fight to the ground. If you have no skill you put yourself at a disadvantage because wrestling and such is much different than swinging. Plus, ive seen a guy, in desperation bite deep into another persons cheek. Another tried to gouge the eyes of the other person. The fights can get dirty fast on the ground.

Cheerilee

- Never fight against superior numbers, not even if you know how to fight, because if even one person knows as much as you, you're screwed.

- Assuming it's one-on-one and neither one of you knows how to fight, flail around wildly and inflict pain and damage until your opponent has suffered too much pain and injury to continue, before the same thing happens to you. There is no trick to withstanding pain and injury. The trick is in inflicting more of it.

- Never fight someone who will continue to hurt you after the fight is over. Even if you think you stand a good chance of winning, the risks are too high.

MqHZd.gif

Quoting because I kinda miss animated avatars, and this one is the reason why.

OP you got jumped over a girl you ain't even getting some from lol, sorry but that's kinda funny...oh wait it is funny, and you decided to fight him with his friends around lol.....

Ra1den

Times have changed, bro. It doesn't matter how tough you are anymore, some clown pulls a gun on you and its game over.

If there's no other option but fighting a group, quickly disabling one person severely might make the others pause. Otherwise, I'd be sure to goad a person to fighting one on one by questioning his manhood and calling him a pussy or whatnot for needing a bunch of guys to handle one person.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football

Best advice is not to start shit with a group of guys when you are solo. This chick is his friend, she is communicating with her ex, the OP doesn't like it and starts shit? WTF? I don't get that at all. Why provoke something like that?

in hindsight it is extremely silly as shit I know. It wasn't even my problem to deal with. reading your post it makes much less sense than it did at the time.

King Dork

Someone mentioned this, but numbers usually win. Oh well, you lost a fight, no biggie. Word will get around, girl will ask what happened, say he was talking crap about her, so you got in a fight, blah blah, you and her are closer friends, loser ex is out. Go play some videogames.

Cheerilee

If there's no other option but fighting a group, quickly disabling one person severely might make the others pause. Otherwise, I'd be sure to goad a person to fighting one on one by questioning his manhood and calling him a pussy or whatnot for needing a bunch of guys to handle one person.
If you do that, you can't be seen to fight dirty at all, otherwise they'll jump you. Even winning the fight may trigger a false cry of "He cheated, get him!" Edit: It might be a good way into a "safe lose", where you fight clean, and lose the fight, but only take a mild beating.

However, if you provoke a one-on-one, and then fight really dirty and fuck the other guy up fast, the other guys might be afraid to jump you.

bwahhhhh

Nah, have you ever seen what happens to a person when a professional fighter hits them without a glove on?

The average person throws looping "wind up" punches that you can see coming from a mile away.

sure, if they're doing a 3-on-1 boxing match like in the movies, where one guy at a time goes after the pro. but most likely the three of them would just try to tackle the lone guy, if they're smart, then two of them hold him down while the third works him over. but the pro might get lucky and knock one of them out with the first shot, then only have two to deal with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom