• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS launches June 16

atr0cious

I don't think anyone has here has posted "no games = auto seller."

What I am suggesting is that ARMS, with it's particular circumstances, could see a boost in sales associated with being a big fish in a little pond - like you suggested.

In November, it may not stand out against the oft rumoured Smash. Or the bigger library of Nintendo ever green titles that will be one the market for holiday buyers.

Smash is still its own thing, and has button inputs which is still a little more "core" than the casuals are used to, as in, I can't play smash with friends like I can NintendoLand. ARMS breaks down that barrier with a very accessible control method. Besides that, Smash is about celebrating the history of video games, which is inherently for the more core audience, where as ARMS is an entirely brand new IP, which allows everyone to come in with no attachments and no prior knowledge other than publicly available videos and articles. ARMS isn't gonna be hurt by a XC2 or Mario Oddyssey release.

Personally hoping Smash is announced as a sequel like Splatoon 2, and it comes out Q1 of 2018, would give ARMS a little room to breath among the core, allowing them more time to focus on it and build its brand before Smash tries to take all the air out of the room, via headlines.

Salvadora

Smash is still its own thing, and has button inputs which is still a little more "core" than the casuals are used to, as in, I can't play smash with friends like I can NintendoLand. ARMS breaks down that barrier with a very accessible control method. Besides that, Smash is about celebrating the history of video games, which is inherently for the more core audience, where as ARMS is an entirely brand new IP, which allows everyone to come in with no attachments and no prior knowledge other than publicly available videos and articles. ARMS isn't gonna be hurt by a XC2 or Mario Oddyssey release.

Personally hoping Smash is announced as a sequel like Splatoon 2, and it comes out Q1 of 2018, would give ARMS a little room to breath among the core, allowing them more time to focus on it and build its brand before Smash tries to take all the air out of the room, via headlines.
Smash sold > 15m on Wii U & 3DS.

We don't even need to go down the rabbit hole of button inputs when it's bringing those sales figures.

Anyway, the larger point was that ARMS is releasing during a lull of releases which could benefit it.

Whether it will benefit or not is something that remains to be seen.

spekkeh

Banned
Yep. ARMS can become popular with casuals and women because of the 'be a boxer' and the fitness aspect, and if it does, it has the ability to transcend traditional fighting games. Transcend much more actually, and become like Mario Kart. But that's a tall order naturally.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
2sr7i.jpg

New best alt

atr0cious

Smash sold > 15m on Wii U & 3DS.

We don't even need to go down the rabbit hole of button inputs when it's bringing those sales figures. .
Considering most of that is from the 3ds, which is arguably more for the hardcore, especially when it comes to the control of smash3ds versus smash for wii u, inputs do matter.
Yep. ARMS can become popular with casuals and women because of the 'be a boxer' and the fitness aspect, and if it does, it has the ability to transcend traditional fighting games. Transcend much more actually, and become like Mario Kart. But that's a tall order naturally.
Of course, new IP and all, but I'd argue Splatoon was a taller order, with a completely different type of default control scheme than the standard shooter. ARMS is just punching the air and tilting, should be easy enough to pick up that even video game newcomers don't even look for a control scheme with buttons.
New best alt
Nice to see the new Nintendo tradition of creating Jeanne surrogates pop up. Bet the dark skin character has a Bayo alt.

Macka

I got a chance to play this yesterday. Could only try it with motion controls, and they worked surprisingly well, but I'd still prefer to use standard controls tbh.

30 minutes with the game was all I needed to confirm that it's not for me at all, though. That's not meant to be a criticism of the game - it's more about just knowing my own tastes. There's just very few fighting games I enjoy (Smash and Dissida are the main two exceptions), and this definitely isn't one of them. It feels far more like a traditional fighter tbh, and was getting a bit repetitive after only 15-20 rounds. I know there's more characters, gloves and elements to try, but I can't see that changing my opinion.

@MUWANdo

Banned
W101 had truly awful marketing, in part because Platinum was still making drastic changes to the game less than six month before final master which made it very hard to promote. I wouldn't at all compare it to ARMS.

ksamedi

W101 just isnt that good of a game. The core concept was not polished enough even though it sounded good on paper. It was a hard game to sell.

ARMS is much more marketable.

W101 just isnt that good of a game. The core concept was not polished enough even though it sounded good on paper. It was a hard game to sell.

It's not that TW101 isn't a good game. It's simply a very niche title that has limited appeal.

It also had the pleasure of launching two days before Grand Theft Auto V.

Aldric

ARMS can also count on Nintendo's ability to create instantly recognizable, visually striking characters. Their artists are among the best in the industry, Minmin or Helix are already pretty damn memorable. In comparison TW101 had these super deformed, generic characters no one cared about. Fat green guy? Pink girl? lt was a very hard sell from the start.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The Wonderful 101 is a strong contender for the best game on the Wii U. It's one of the most inventive and original character action games ever, and a bizarrely unpredictable yet sensible evolution of Kamiya and Platinum's design tropes across the genre. It's really absolutely marvellous how it subtly buries so many learned game systems underneath an original metagame of crowd control.

But it's also hugely obtuse for those reasons. It's so unusual and bizarre with a steep learning curve, along with general play time, before the depth of the combat system becomes apparent.

I mean, it's an exceedingly original, unique game with legitimate gameplay depth, backed by considerably impressive production values and content scope, yet presented in an unorthadox perspective and design that has a steep learning curve. It's like the best/worst scenario for a video game.

I'm not sure where ARMS will fall in the grand scheme of things. It looks much more accessible and inviting, which is a huge plus, but I'm not completely convinced the mass market will be receptive of an oddball fighting game.

Jintor

W101 is an incredible game, but it was very, very difficult to market. It's essentially a character action game with like a shittonne of tweaks that looks like Pikmin. No way in hell you were going to be able to sell that to anyone who didn't already know who Platinum was.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Why the comparisons to W101? Two completely different genres, and this one is competitive with a casual touch (motion controls hearkening back to Wii), which W101 had none.

Why the comparisons to W101? Two completely different genres, and this one is competitive with a casual touch (motion controls hearkening back to Wii), which W101 had none.

Not to mention that ARMS comes from EPD/EAD who is responsible for tons of series that have resonated with the general audience such as Super Mario, Legend of Zelda, Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, Wii _____, etc. Platinum? Not so much.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Not to mention that ARMS comes from EPD/EAD who is responsible for tons of series that have resonated with the general audience such as Super Mario, Legend of Zelda, Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, Wii _____, etc. Platinum? Not so much.
Hey! Most and rising are a success granted their not there own IP's but still

black070

I think ARMS will be a surprise success ala Splatoon, maybe not to the same magnitude but definitely not something to scoff at.

the flop impact of the Wonderful 101 is the new standard for a Nintendo flop in terms of a video game success, or lack of. so whenever Nintendo pushes out a new IP it will always be compared/measured to the W101 unfortunately,

jdstorm

Banned
The Wonderful 101 is a strong contender for the best game on the Wii U. It's one of the most inventive and original character action games ever, and a bizarrely unpredictable yet sensible evolution of Kamiya and Platinum's design tropes across the genre. It's really absolutely marvellous how it subtly buries so many learned game systems underneath an original metagame of crowd control.

But it's also hugely obtuse for those reasons. It's so unusual and bizarre with a steep learning curve, along with general play time, before the depth of the combat system becomes apparent.

I mean, it's an exceedingly original, unique game with legitimate gameplay depth, backed by considerably impressive production values and content scope, yet presented in an unorthadox perspective and design that has a steep learning curve. It's like the best/worst scenario for a video game.

I'm not sure where ARMS will fall in the grand scheme of things. It looks much more accessible and inviting, which is a huge plus, but I'm not completely convinced the mass market will be receptive of an oddball fighting game.

I think ARMS has 3 main things in its favor over the Wonderful 101.

1. Its Boxing. Thats a concept most are hugely familiar with.
2. Its a multiplayer game that seemingly has simple enough controls that it should be viable as a party game in ways that most fighters arent. For instance playing Street Fighter requires learning combos ect. Arms you just waggle and its still fun.
3. The Wonderful 101 was too overtly sexual for the family audience, while having an artstyle that alienated most adults. Arms doesnt seem to have that problem.

I'm not making any predictions of how well ARMS will or wont do. However if it is a misstep it will likely be for much different reasons then what derailed The Wonderful 101.

i disagree. it was the freshest take on the character action genre in a while. it had moments where it was better than games like bayonetta 2 or DMC4

2. Its a multiplayer game that seemingly has simple enough controls that it should be viable as a party game in ways that most fighters arent. For instance playing Street Fighter requires learning combos ect. Arms you just waggle and its still fun.
3. The Wonderful 101 was too overtly sexual for the family audience, while having an artstyle that alienated most adults. Arms doesnt seem to have that problem.

I'm not making any predictions of how well ARMS will or wont do. However if it is a misstep it will likely be for much different reasons then what derailed The Wonderful 101.

4. it was on wiiu and many people just didnt care about wiiu. ARMS is on switch which is hot shit on the market at the moment

Kudo

i disagree. it was the freshest take on the character action genre in a while. it had moments where it was better than games like bayonetta 2 or DMC4

4. it was on wiiu and many people just didnt care about wiiu. ARMS is on switch which is hot shit on the market at the moment

Wii U didn't stop Splatoon from becoming one of the biggest new IPs last gen, though I'm sure it did hamper it a bit, off-topic but really curious to see how well Splatoon 2 will do now that the game is on much more appealing hardware.

Wii U didn't stop Splatoon from becoming one of the biggest new IPs last gen, though I'm sure it did hamper it a bit, off-topic but really curious to see how well Splatoon 2 will do now that the game is on much more appealing hardware.

Splatoon performed well in the west and was huge in Japan.

Splatoon 2 is going to huge everywhere.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者

The two biggest advantages are that's it's a multiplayer game and developed by in-house elites at Nintendo. I mean Nintendo bats like .999 with those circumstances.

jdstorm

Banned
The two biggest advantages are that's it's a multiplayer game and developed by in-house elites at Nintendo. I mean Nintendo bats like .999 with those circumstances.

I personally like ARMS a lot and hope that it does very well. In that specific post i was just trying to address how i felt ARMS had avoided many of the missteps that led to The Wonderful 101's lackluster commercial reception.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
first Zelda, then Min Min. I approve of Nintendo girls appearing thiccc all of a sudden

also, is this game going to have online? Not sure I ever heard anything about it

Cerium

first Zelda, then Min Min. I approve of Nintendo girls appearing thiccc all of a sudden

also, is this game going to have online? Not sure I ever heard anything about it

Yes, it has online.

It seems obvious to me that Mario Kart, ARMS, and Splatoon are meant to be pillars of the online service.

Smash and Pokemon too, obviously, whenever those drop.

True but i think splatoon underperformed compared to its potential and can explode on a more popular platform (we will see)

Also marketing was bad for w101

kunonabi

W101 was easily the best game of the generation and the concept was polished just fine. Only mgsv and xenoblade were in the conversation.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Yes, it has online.

It seems obvious to me that Mario Kart, ARMS, and Splatoon are meant to be pillars of the online service.

Smash and Pokemon too, obviously, whenever those drop.

yeah I just wanted a confirmation, I have a feeling this will be even funnier than MK online

Doorman

So it randomly occurred to me a short while ago, after watching the tournament this past weekend and thus seeing the Japanese version of the ARMS part of the most recent Nintendo direct, that the voice calling out the start of each battle round ("take up....ARMS!") sounds like it's actually Cobutter. I wonder what the odds are if we get any English-specific voice track if we get round introductions from Biff?

Either way, between that and the character's appearance in the Arms-Getter minigame it's definitely apparent to me now that Biff/Cobutter is a central character to the setting in the same way Callie and Marie wound up being in Splatoon. With that in mind...I really hope they explain some time just what the hell he is, since the whole hand-on-head thing kinda freaks me out.

Top Bottom