• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torment: Tides of Numenera |OT| What Can Change The Nature of a Man?

sWJ1Zgr.jpg

Torment: Tides of Numenera is the thematic successor to Planescape: Torment, one of the most critically acclaimed role-playing games of all time. Immerse yourself in a single-player, isometric, story-driven RPG set in Monte Cook's Numenera universe. What does one life matter? Find your answer.

DEVELOPER: inXile Entertainment
PUBLISHER: Techland Publishing
PLATFORMS: PC & MAC & LINUX & PS4 & XBONE
RELEASE DATE: February. 28th, 2017
AUDIO: English
SUBTITLES: English, French, German, Polish, Russian, Spanish

Explore Earth one billion years in the future in the science-fantasy setting of Numenera. Discover the Ninth World built on the bones of extinct, hyper-advanced civilizations and leave your own mark on it. Make thousands of essential choices, face the consequences, and meet death incarnated as you seek the answer to the ultimate question: What does one life matter?

zFYsBKn.png

The protagonist of the story, known as the Last Castoff, is the final vessel for the consciousness of an ancient man, who managed to find a way to leave his physical body and be reborn in a new one, thus achieving a kind of immortality by means of the relics. Unknown to him, however, every time he abandoned – or "cast off" – these host bodies, they awoke with a consciousness of their own, having no memory of their former master or his deeds. The actions of this man, known as the Changing God to some, attracted the enmity of "The Sorrow" (renamed from "The Angel of Entropy" to reduce the potential to imply a religious role), who now seeks to destroy him and his creations. The Last Castoff, being one such "creation", is also targeted by the Sorrow, and must find their master before both are undone. To do so, the protagonist must explore the Ninth World, discovering other castoffs, making friends and enemies along the way. One means of such exploration are the "Meres" – artifacts that let their user gain control over the lives of other castoffs, and experience different worlds or dimensions through them. Through these travels the Last Castoff will leave their mark on the world – their Legacy – and will find an answer to the fundamental question of the story: What does one life matter?

aJ5REzj.png

The Ninth World is Earth, one billion years in the future. Many great and powerful civilizations have arisen and disappeared in that time, not all of them human. The powers of these civilizations beggar description. Among them were civilizations that mastered space and time, people who could halt the death of the sun or shape the continents as they wished, or beings who could shape life itself to suit their needs and whims. Their abilities are far beyond ours; even if our civilization were to survive another 10,000 years, we would barely have begun to accumulate the strength and knowledge that could place us in the histories of what Ninth Worlders call the ”prior worlds".

The prior worlds are gone now; they died out, transcended, or otherwise moved on. The present world is called the Ninth World, not because there were eight worlds before it, but just because that is what they have called themselves. The Ninth World is exceedingly young—not even 1,000 years in recorded history.

There are no records of the prior worlds, who they were, or what happened to them. All that remains is the detritus they left behind in vast profusion: crumbling ruins, floating monoliths, the descendants of their engineered or imported creatures. Abandoned clouds of nanites wander the scrublands, horrifically twisting whatever they come across according to some warped, unknowable design. Automaton soldiers march across desolated fields, fighting a war that no one remembers or could even understand. The Earth itself is surrounded by the datasphere: an invisible network that constantly transmits information across the globe to some unknown purpose, but that the very clever (or very lucky) can sometimes tap into for their own purposes.

The people of the Ninth World call all these things, collectively, the numenera. Some Ninth Worlders scavenge the ruins of the prior worlds, seeking ancient artifacts and relics to sell or use. Others harness power from invisible energies left in the very air and soil. The numenera are equally a source of aid and horror, ineffable and inexplicable.

uMn5HWo.png

Certain scholars of the Ninth World have studied the pull of forces they call The Tides; unseen powers that have profound and lasting effects for those attuned to their motions. Like gravity or magnetism, the Tides are invisible, powerful, and, with the right tools, perhaps even controllable. Those who manipulate them can have a strong influence on society, the numenera, and the mysterious creatures of the world. Does everyone know of the Tides? Not at all. In fact, knowledge of the Tides is generally limited to a select few.

The understanding of these forces is incomplete and difficult to grasp; the Tides represent concepts that are not entirely definable by language. Those who acknowledge them have given them symbolic colors based on how they appear to correspond with emotional and psychological reactions. The colors are important because a word like justice (for example) is too simplistic. The Indigo Tide represents justice and fairness, but it might also mean a desire for the greater good or an end justifies the means mentality. The Gold Tide can represent false philanthropy as well as martyrdom. It's the actions that matter, not the motivations.

In the game, the Tides serve as a kind of alignment system; but a more nuanced system, and one that does not judge actions based on whether they're good or evil. You'll learn more about the Tides as you explore Torment. And the Tides will gradually change based on your actions and decisions, ultimately determining your Legacy.

QevbvmL.png

Set in a far, far distant future, the Numenera RPG puts a new spin on traditional fantasy, creating something unique to reinvigorate the imagination of gamers everywhere. Player characters explore a world of mystery and danger to find leftover artifacts of the past: bits of nanotechnology, the datasphere threaded among still-orbiting satellites, bio-engineered creatures, and myriad strange and wondrous devices that defy understanding. Numenera is about discovering the wonders of the worlds that came before, not for their own sake, but as the means to improve the present and build a future.

jHVyH7J.png

Edge -
Others coming soon!
2Y7jZQQ.png

COMING SOON!

drPbzfE.png

Official Website
inXile Entertainment
Metacritic
Torment: Tides of Numenera on Steam

Special Thanks to:
- Inxile for making the special thread banner for GAF.
- Mister_Bubbles for various banners and headers.

Menome

Have the Early Access version on Steam ready and waiting to be upgraded, so I can head back in and start over without making the same mistakes.

I'm definitely going for a Nano with strong Persuasion/Deception skills.

Disclaimer: English doesn't seem like his native language and apparently got the game early on Friday in whatever country he lives in.

https://forums.inxile-entertainment.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=17167#p181301

https://forums.inxile-entertainment.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=17175#p181311

InXile Forum User *Grimskarson* writes:

"I just beat the games in 40 hours good storyline

But lack of environnement 2 big city and 2 or 3 dungeon of 1 or 2 maps
Maybe i miss content i LL see that on m'y second run

The end arrive too fast many big revelation in one time

10 combat and eventualy 4 or 5 that they are part of main story

And there are only the three choice on the screen

I'm on Xbox one and the day one patch IS 7.8 giga

I really likes it was the same effect that m'y first run on planescape

Just the end who arrive too soon"

"Oh yes not perfect but great Replay value just the end with picture of consequence of choice maybe à little oldies....

I surely miss a lot of thing but I didn't rush i made a lot of side quest

Protip impossible to return backward when you finish a zone so finish all of the quest before"

**Also seems like there is major stuttering in console versions and cut areas never seen in the game, but seen in the physical game map that came with the game.**

Edit:

Another update from the guy:

https://forums.inxile-entertainment.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&p=181336#p181336

"you can't join faction in the same way than planescape torment

I did not feel i rush but there is a lot of thing to do i know that but you have to make choice you can't do everything in the first run
the game is awesome it s just that it lack of different environement when you see the trailer you see almost all the map of the game"

https://forums.inxile-entertainment.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=17087&start=60#p181313

"Sorry but I have the game just 3 foci to choose but when you create your character you have 20 more or less description like intelligent charming

When you choose the foci your name change like intelligent persuasive nano"

https://forums.inxile-entertainment.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&p=181340#p181340

"You maybe right they end the story but in the last zone i have the impression that they put a lot of important NPC in the same place and when you see the paper map with the game there is a lot of place that you ll never see"

"Nop no world map when you finish a zone you can't return backward"

Budi

Popping in to show my support for the game! Picking it up at a later date. I know I should play Planescape Torment anyways, but is anything lost to me if I don't do it before playing this?

Mivey

40 hours seems longer than I expected honestly. His description is rather hard to follow, though I guess he liked it for the most part, lacking a bit in environmental variety?
Popping in to show my support for the game! Picking it up at a later date. I know I should play Planescape Torment anyways, but is anything lost to me if I don't do it before playing this?
This is a spiritual successor, so no.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...

There is no real reason not to play Torment right away and wait with Tides. I suppose Tides is gonna have some interesting throwbacks. And there is little to no chance they'll top Torment anyway.

Bluth54

Have the Early Access version on Steam ready and waiting to be upgraded, so I can head back in and start over without making the same mistakes.

I haven't played the beta but I see Nano is the mage like class, which is usually play for this kind of game. Would you say Nano with strong Persuasion and Deception skills is a good way to go for that class?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
It's almost here.

Also shouldn't the OT title be "What does one life matter?"

We already know what can change the nature of man.

Pizza

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
Planescape: Torment is still my second-favourite game of all time, so I backed this game at a pretty high tier. I really hope it turns out as well as its writing team would make me expect.

I tried out the old backer beta version and was actually pretty heartened by what I played--enough that I stopped playing immediately to avoid spoiling myself for the full game.

Raybunny

Backed this project on kickstarter 4 years ago and forgot about it. Will surely give it a look after Horizon , Nier and Yakuza0

Raytow

The fact that all the companions are humans is bumming me, otherwise I'm seriously enjoying the beta. Since the saves games are compatible with the final release, I stopped before leaving the city, as per Inxile recommendation.

Serra

Im waiting for impressions. The kickstarter campaign and beta impressions havent been too confidence building.

RexNovis

Banned
How is the UI and control scheme via controller? Awkward controls and unintuitive UI for console was my only major gripe with Divinity Original Sin. Is it similar to that?

Arkanius

I started playing the Early Access version but I just stopped and decided to not spoil myself.
Can't wait for tomorrow.

Is the early access version going to be automatically upgraded/patched to final version?

just give me a good story with solid writing and choice & consequence and I will be one happy person

come on inXile I believe in you

Menome

I haven't played the beta but I see Nano is the mage like class, which is usually play for this kind of game. Would you say Nano with strong Persuasion and Deception skills is a good way to go for that class?

Even in the very early stages of the game, Speech skills have the ability to get you out of a combat encounter entirely.

As for Nano, that's just a personal preference on my part. I've had a run of Rogue-ish characters in other games recently, so I'll be happy to get back to some spellcasting. :)

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Though I still haven't finished Planescape (not that it matters), I'm very much looking forward to this.

Probably gonna go the con-man / Jack route for awesome dialogue shenanigans!

Menome

We can only hope the story and characters are great!

Can't speak for the overall story, but from what I played in Early Access: There's a good selection of weird and wonderful people just in the opening hub. If they keep it up elsewhere, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

That's the plan as far as I'm aware. Save games are supposed to carry over, but I'm not going to risk it.
Thanks. I'm not going to start it before it releases anyways, just wanted to see if I can start the download of early access version now, and later find it automatically morphed into the final version :D

So, is there an update/patch coming tomorrow, and thus it'd be dumb for me to start a new game now on the beta version?

Or is the beta fully patched, but just not "complete" until tomorrow?

Remmy2112

So, is there an update/patch coming tomorrow, and thus it'd be dumb for me to start a new game now on the beta version?

Or is the beta fully patched, but just not "complete" until tomorrow?

Their pre-release FAQ claims all save games in the beta/early access version post-December update should carry over to the full launch.

I pledged for the physical PC copy. Should I expect to be shipped on the 28th? I never heard anything from inXile unless I missed it.

Grym

Can't wait to really dig into this title tomorrow!

I pledged for the physical PC copy. Should I expect to be shipped on the 28th? I never heard anything from inXile unless I missed it.

Same. I pledged for physical stuff (game and novellas) and haven't heard anything about shipping yet. Happy to have the digital key as well so I can play tomorrow.

Ushay

Really nervous about my pre order, there is basically no noise about this title. Plus, where are the reviews??

Really nervous about my pre order, there is basically no noise about this title. Plus, where are the reviews??

The review embargo lifts in 19 hours, which is why you still haven't read any reviews. I've been on a media blackout for this game since the very first alpha they released, but everything I've heard (which isn't much) has been very positive.

Top Bottom