• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap OT | What is The Secret of Your Power?

Neff

That's more like speedrunner than experienced player lol.

True, I've played through it millions of times but I've never gotten anywhere close to that.

I'd love to play the new Wonderboy, but really can't get behind the art direction.

Same, it's really at odds with the way the original (and games from that time generally) looks. Fortunately though it can be turned off and played with the 8-bit visuals.

Unless you mean Monster Boy, in which case I think we're stuck with the hand-drawn style.

Crayon

Same, it's really at odds with the way the original (and games from that time generally) looks. Fortunately though it can be turned off and played with the 8-bit visuals.

Unless you mean Monster Boy, in which case I think we're stuck with the hand-drawn style.

I thought ti looked out of place at first, but it really grew on me. It looks like art from the manuals of old games.

Fbh

LOL, I've had that OT name in my head ever since I heard about this game.

Anyway, looks good. I really like the Art Style

I see. I didn't really see that info. That is good to know. Actually I'm going to pick it up now. Thanks.

I'll give this a shot at some point, but I'm honestly a lot more excited for Monster Boy. I'd rather play a new game in the Monster World style than a 1:1 graphics-only remake of an old one.

bock

Could liquidtmd do a favor to OCD people like me and spell the game title correctly? =)

Wonderboy > Wonder Boy
Dragons > Dragon's

Current title: "Wonderboy: The Dragons Trap"
Correct title: "Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap"

Thanks =)

And if you want to go extra-mile with sexing-up the artworks this is the font that the game uses:
https://fonts.google.com/specimen/Josefin+Sans

Game still looks incredible...what a fantastic art direction!

Unfortunately(?) swamped with titles to play at the moment so I'll probably hold off on the game off for a couple months (fingers crossed we'll hear about a physical release before then), but I'm looking forward to playing it after all the positive impressions I've read of the original.

Neff

I see. I didn't really see that info. That is good to know. Actually I'm going to pick it up now. Thanks.

It's kind of glossed over in the OP but it's a fairly big point, at least it is to me. I dislike the new art style and theme arranges so much that I wasn't prepared to buy, even though I consider the game a masterpiece, but now I'm happily pre-ordering.

Ashtar

It's a shame we can't preorder on us psn and get the discount, I love the art style but i guess I'll wait for reviews and maybe a discount

Felensis

Banned
Although I know the game from various magazine articles from back in the days I've never played the original, but when I saw these gorgeous art style, backgrounds and animations from Lizardcube I instantly fell in love. Day 1 on Switch.

WITHE1982

Preordered earlier this week but it's been on my radar since it was first announced. The original 1989 game is responsible for more amazing memories from my childhood than any other. Me and my father played through this more than a dozen times. If he was still alive we'd be playing this at midnight. As it is I'll be waiting til Wednesday to enjoy it with my daughter.

I've still got my MS copy and the back is full of hand written password codes. I'm looking forward to trying them out after my first vanilla play through.

I'm seriously tempted to go through in 8 bit with original sound on my first run.

So so so excited! :D :D :D

One of my most fav games of all time, remade! And one I never thought would happen.

I remember when the Monster World collection came out a few years ago I was salty as my fav one (Dragon's Trap) wasn't included. And we never even got the GG version on 3DS VC. >_> Why does my fav one get treated so poorly I thought to myself?? Well not anymore! :D Whooo! :D

I'm seriously possibly triple dipping this one, Switch is my main on day 1 ASAP, then I'll grab it on Xbox One at some point for the Achievements and hopefully later on a physical release (on Switch maybe? *fingers crossed*).

I can hear the music in my head already! So happy.

liquidtmd

Banned
Could liquidtmd do a favor to OCD people like me and spell the game title correctly? =)

Wonderboy > Wonder Boy
Dragons > Dragon's

Thanks =)

And if you want to go extra-mile with sexing-up the artworks this is the font that the game uses:

You bet, will get on touching the OT up between now and mid-day tomorrow. I'm out and about now, I was scrambling earlier as was just previewing the unfinished thread but clicked post too soon!

More screenshots, the slight name change and font changes will be sorted between now and release. I was fuming at myself earlier, I wanted this to be perfect - this is truly the game of my childhood.

Cerium

You bet, will get on touching the OT up between now and mid-day tomorrow. I'm out and about now, I was scrambling earlier as was just previewing the unfinished thread but clicked post too soon!

More screenshots, the slight name change and font changes will be sorted between now and release. I was fuming at myself earlier, I wanted this to be perfect - this is truly the game of my childhood.

When I preview my OTs I always do it in the community section to minimize the risk in case I fuck up.

LordKano

Wonderboy > Wonder Boy
Dragons > Dragon's

Thanks =)

...I wish I asked you this before spending an hour looking for the most ressembling font.

Day 1 on Switch. I haven't played a single game in this series before, but I heard it inspired the Shantae games, which I'm fond of, plus it looks phenomenal so I'll give it a shot.

Unless reports come out saying that it runs terribly on the Switch, which I seriously doubt will happen.

Same here. Gonna wait to hear how the Switch version runs before I buy. Best to play it safe since some other games have had issues. PS4 for sure if Switch version isn't good.

BTA

Mhmm, there's a lot out at the moment that I'm already busy with, but I'd like to play something non-Zelda on my Switch and Dragon's Curse was actually one of the first Wii VC games I ever bought, on a whim, so... it'd be fitting to play it on that.

liquidtmd

Banned
When I preview my OTs I always do it in the community section to minimize the risk in case I fuck up.

Lessons learned for that one, ha definitely! I rarely make OTs but for Wonderboy I made the time.

All hyperlinks fixed, just need a mod to tweak the title to the change made to it and waiting now for the reviews to drop hoping it lives up to my hype

jzc9UkS.gif

Piccoro

Pre-load is up on the EU PlayStation 4. I downloaded it last night.
It unlocks tonight at midnight.

I'm really looking forward to playing this, the Master System games were great!

Tsunamo

I wonder if it'll drop at the usual update time (11pm the night before it releases in Aus) or if i'll have to wait till the day after. Not getting my hopes up but it'd be nice if it was the former.
Pre-load is up on the EU PlayStation 4. I downloaded it last night.
It unlocks tonight at midnight.

I'm really looking forward to playing this, the Master System games were great!
Guess it might pop up tonight afterall then if that's when the pre-load has it for.

Top Bottom