• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMO's on Switch.A great fit?

FFXIV and WoW are ill suited. It's a bad idea for both Switch and fro PC gamers. It fucking sucks for PC gamers having to be held back because every patch, fix or update have to take the console into account. FFXIV has been held back by PS3, and it's being cheered that they are dropping support for it now. Same with FFXI on PS2.
Also, as hot key tabtargeting MMORPGs, these games were made for keyboards and mouse controls. Yes, you can keybind many buttons, but that doesn't mean its fun or accesible to do it like that with pressing buttons or sub menu navigating to various skills.

A Better fit for Switch would be a MMO with a more limited set of skill commands. Many of the newer action MMOs have twitch skill based skills and spells, that puts more emphasis on movement, navigating, dodging and manuvearing in 3D space, while using fewer skills- Tera, bnS, BDO, Skyforge, GW2, and so on.

embermane_combat_screenshots_dauntless.jpg

Dauntless is one of the most anticipated MMORPGs coming to PC soon. It's described as a Monster Hunter MMO. Co-Op Monster Slaying.

Crowfall is another potential interesting fir for Switch as it combines world building and sandbox elements. It has a stylized look that would do better on Switch than some of the other modern games. Like other on-going community driven online games, it makes sense to have the mobility of a handheld to continually develop your lands and transform your castles and keeps. The interface is also naturally suited for controllers.

Or Worlds Adrift which is a Crafting based games, where you are a skypirate trying to make flying ships and navigate the skies. It's still early and looks rough, but it has potential. Again its a game with a simple interface and more modest visuals. Would be easier for this, Crowfall and Dauntless to achieve a fluid 60 FPS than many other games, even with many players.

As far as shooters goes, I think The Division and Destiny 2 could be good fits as well. Lego Worlds too!

How weak do you think the Switch is? Seriously lol.

It's not a matter of power, it's more what I would expect to happen. The way YoshiP talks in interviews would imply that giving the team yet another version of FFXIV to support would be too much, especially while they're working on an expansion. That said, I wouldn't say it's out of the realm of possibility, down the line.

I specified the mobile version of FFXI because that is, assumedly, still a thing that is in development between Square and Nexon. I can't really imagine that Square would bother digging up the PC or 360 versions for a port to Switch if that's available.

With how they're doing Stormblood, I don't see a Switch port happening. I'd love to, but I just don't know.

That FFXI reboot on the other hand (the one they're doing for mobile but haven't heard much from)... would be a killer app.

Malyse

Ctrl+F
"Phantasy Star Online"
*no hits*
Ctrl+F
"PSO"
Not an mmo, but Pso would seriously rock on switch.

Not PSO but I was hoping for PSO2 and that the Switch would've been a bit better spec wise. At this point I wonder how it would compare to the Vita and PS4 versions.
Ah, good. My people are here.

If PSO2 can run on Vita, it damn well can run on Switch. I'll import the physical version *again* if I need to. Just get the game on there.

Eolz

It's not a matter of power, it's more what I would expect to happen. The way YoshiP talks in interviews would imply that giving the team yet another version of FFXIV to support would be too much, especially while they're working on an expansion. That said, I wouldn't say it's out of the realm of possibility, down the line.

I specified the mobile version of FFXI because that is, assumedly, still a thing that is in development between Square and Nexon. I can't really imagine that Square would bother digging up the PC or 360 versions for a port to Switch if that's available.

Ok I see what you mean about FFXI now, sorry, I didn't know the state of it. Would make sense instead of the 360 version for sure, but for PC, it would probably depend on what Nexon is actually doing with the mobile version, and what their goal is with it.

For XIV, obviously they couldn't start the dev while close to releasing a new expansion, but who knows after that. Like I was saying for the PS3 version, as any dev would say, PS3 is a pain to develop for and support (even more after this many years and with this hardware), but any relatively modern platform that makes sense for the publisher (strategy/audience/profit) would be fine and would get the resources for it.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
A Phantasy Star Online would work very well I think.

Winning Putt as well. I know people are talking about MMORPGs, but casual pick up and go golf might reach that older adult audience.

Doesn't sound like a great fit to me, if I'm gonna play a mmo I'd wanna do it on a PC. When I think of great fits on Switch I don't think of always online games where my play sessions for the game have to be long or they don't feel worth it.

ShdwDrake

Banned
Considering that the official website and the new benchmark has different requirements, this really looks more like recommended requirements (despite what the top of the pic says).
The Switch is more powerful than the PS3 (even in handheld mode), I really doubt it couldn't run there. "Holding the game back" has always been a pretty bullshit argument considering the kind of game it is (it's an MMO that is not pushing much technically) and how other crossgen games didn't really hold games back. It's a matter of wanting to spend time and money on supporting a port or not, the only issue would be how limited the Switch port is in the end.

They are bringing up Stormblood because it drops PS3 support. So the switch being more powerful than the PS3 means nothing. How close is the switch to the PS4.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Doesn't sound like a great fit to me, if I'm gonna play a mmo I'd wanna do it on a PC. When I think of great fits on Switch I don't think of always online games where my play sessions for the game have to be long or they don't feel worth it.
And long play sessions on Switch are not possible because of ? You know the system launched with BotW and pretty much every Switch owner bought the game as well.

WIFI is garbage... and If you want Ethernet port you have to buy a dongle... What type of backward shit is that? You couldn't add in an additional port in that overpriced dock?

And long play sessions on Switch are not possible because of ? You know the system launched with BotW and pretty much every Switch owner bought the game as well.

I never said it wasn't possible but long play sessions on the Switch have no advantage for me compared to long play sessions on other systems.

Sarcasm

BoTW is a bad example for this.

Single player game that you can pause anytime.

Think of pausing in the middle of a party in a dungeon lol..

Yeah sure wait till done.

Screw that I am playing on portable I want to pause when I want to. Like when I have to wipe B-)

Luminaire

I...don't think always-online MMOs really support the portability aspect of the switch. You can't just suspend, pop it in sleep mode and go connect to another wifi location with ease. You'd be logging in an out, re-authenticating after waking it up, and relying on wifi on the go which you typically have no control over.

Yes, it'd be nice to fish and gather and such, but I'd see a handful of issues with games like FFXIV on switch. It's not to say it couldn't be done, I just don't really see it meshing up as well as a game like Monster Hunter does.

spekkeh

Banned
Personally I think games where you can jump in and out of, work better for my Switch playstyle. For an MMO you need to reserve serious sit down time, so you might as well play it on a stationary computer. Then again it may be useful for those 'catch 20 rats' grindy missions. Do MMOs still have lots of those?

A more interesting question is What game wouldnt be great on the Switch

Because in general games are great on game consoles since they are made to play games so having games is always good.

FinalAres

With how they're doing Stormblood, I don't see a Switch port happening. I'd love to, but I just don't know.

That FFXI reboot on the other hand (the one they're doing for mobile but haven't heard much from)... would be a killer app.
Final Fantasy XI Reboot was basically not being worked on for ages, it was being massively Versus XIII'd. But at the beginning of the year Nexon hired people specifically for development of the game so I expect it's heavily delayed but definitely happening. Expect it next year :)

ksamedi

A more interesting question is What game wouldnt be great on the Switch

Because in general games are great on game consoles since they are made to play games so having games is always good.

I guess you get to play lots of MMOs on game consoles. Please let me know which ones those are.

The point is that MMOs could find a good market on the Switch.

Ninja Dom

How about MOBA's like League of Legends, Heroes of the Storm or DOTA 2?

Are there any really good MOBA games on iOS or Android that would also fit the Switch well?

Top Bottom