• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thread of Independent, Limited and Region Specific Retail Releases

Moofers

I think we should talk about Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 for PS4 and Xbox One in here. It's GameStop exclusive and a Capcom employee said it is only getting the first printing. I googled how many GameStop stores there are and it said about 6,000. I figure if each store gets a few copies for each platform and you add another 1,000 per platform for Ecom sales, you'll end up around 40,000 copies split between the two platforms. Maybe add another 10,000 copies just for margin of error and we are at 50,000.

That's pretty limited for AAA releases.

Clive

Play-Asia is currently doing a promo with some Asian-exclusive English prints in it. The offer is 2 for $29.99 for PS4 and includes inFamous: First Light (also in Europe), Shadow of the Beast and Alienation and the Vita promo is 2 for $19.99 and includes Dokuro and Airship Q (patch required for English in the latter). Not sure if anyone is interested but I doubt they will get cheaper. If buying for over $20, I think, then you can use the coupon code "gematsu" for $3 more off.

We also got a release date for World to the West yesterday. May 5th worldwide but only PS4 is confirmed at the moment for NTSC territories (PAL has PS4 and XB1). Usually SOEDESCO games on XB1 (if released on the platform at all) will skip North America but it looks like there's now a chance of it releasing here this time.

Play-Asia is currently doing a promo with some Asian-exclusive English prints in it. The offer is 2 for $29.99 for PS4 and includes inFamous: First Light (also in Europe), Shadow of the Beast and Alienation and the Vita promo is 2 for $19.99 and includes Dokuro and Airship Q (patch required for English in the latter). Not sure if anyone is interested but I doubt they will get cheaper. If buying for over $20, I think, then you can use the coupon code "gematsu" for $3 more off.

Thanks for the heads up. Already picked up Shadow of the Beast last year but have had my eye on Infamous and Alienation for a while now.

Nice deal. Interested in FL, but not sure what else to get, lol.

Nice deal. Interested in FL, but not sure what else to get, lol.

If you have any reverence for games like the original Prince of Persia I'd recommend Shadow of the Beast. Game has a couple rough spots like a weak final boss but the rhythmic combat, great soundtrack and art-design more than make up for it.

i-Jest

I think we should talk about Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 for PS4 and Xbox One in here. It's GameStop exclusive and a Capcom employee said it is only getting the first printing. I googled how many GameStop stores there are and it said about 6,000. I figure if each store gets a few copies for each platform and you add another 1,000 per platform for Ecom sales, you'll end up around 40,000 copies split between the two platforms. Maybe add another 10,000 copies just for margin of error and we are at 50,000.

I fully expect stock to dry up here in Canada within the year.

Semoreh

If you have any reverence for games like the original Prince of Persia I'd recommend Shadow of the Beast. Game has a couple rough spots like a weak final boss but the rhythmic combat, great soundtrack and art-design more than make up for it.

I LOVED this Shadow of the beast, and I didn't even know the original. Gorgeous graphics, savage gameplay, good learning curve, a lot of replayability (thanks to feasible and interesting trophies),...
A very underrated game !

I think we should talk about Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 for PS4 and Xbox One in here. It's GameStop exclusive and a Capcom employee said it is only getting the first printing.

I'm concerned about that to, unfortunately Gamestop is not import friendly at all and I don't know how to get it for cheap :(

Dwayne

I'm concerned about that to, unfortunately Gamestop is not import friendly at all and I don't know how to get it for cheap :(

Play-Asia have the Japanese version at least (edit: I see it's pending now, they did have it at least because they shipped my pre-order).

Getting it for cheap is always an issue with Marvel games, I think. But if you really want it and don't have any American friends who could get you a GameStop copy, you should be able to import it from Canada (VGP) most likely.

Semoreh

Getting it for cheap is always an issue with Marvel games, I think. But if you really want it and don't have any American friends who could get you a GameStop copy, you should be able to import it from Canada (VGP) most likely.

Thanks for the piece of advice! Unfortunately as far as I know it's a GS exclusive so I won't find it on VGP...
I'll keep an eye on eBay ;)

In the meantime : bluerider tomorrow

Play-Asia have the Japanese version at least (edit: I see it's pending now, they did have it at least because they shipped my pre-order).

I'd rather find the US version but that's good to know :)

Play-Asia is currently doing a promo with some Asian-exclusive English prints in it.

Airship Q not available anymore. But Shadow of the Beast + Alienation for 30$ is a bargain. I just placed an order even though I already own SotB (I figured I'd trade it or sell it).

Play-Asia have preorders up for English subtitled "Summer Lesson"
http://www.play-asia.com/summer-lesson-miyamoto-hikari-edition-english-subs/13/70ayih
Can't imagine this is going to make it any further west.

Thanks!

Thanks for the piece of advice! Unfortunately as far as I know it's a GS exclusive so I won't find it on VGP...
I'll keep an eye on eBay ;)

Whereabouts are you located? I don't mind forwarding you a Canadian copy (english/french packaging text) if you prefer.

Semoreh

Bluerider is live !
The "gematsu" coupon works as usual.

Whereabouts are you located? I don't mind forwarding you a Canadian copy (english/french packaging text) if you prefer.
I'm French. That would be so nice of you, thanks ! :D
I'll send you a PM. Of course I'd be glad to forward you european games as well if needed :)

It seems like Signature Edition Games will be doing Count Lucanor physical on Vita:

I've no idea if this is confirmation, but Mergegames' shill account on reddit (I assume this is actually them) posted a topic recently:

https://www.reddit.com/r/LimitedPri...count_lucanor_physical_retail_coming_to_vita/

The Count Lucanor - physical retail coming to Vita later this year.

I wouldn't take it as confirmation, but it's looking likely this one is getting the Signature Vita treatment too. Which is cool.

Special Reserve Games getting into the physical PS4 business.

I know they've teased Vita releases, so I wonder if we'll get anything other than Hotline Miami (since that just seems too obvious at this point).

Wasn't it because they'd have to create a splash screen for a dual release which the Japanese publisher didn't cough up for? At least, that's what I read.

Yeah it's a requirement from Sony that multi-game carts/discs have a front-end that you can use to select between the games. It's the reason why the Dead Island Remaster had Riptide as a download code on PS4 instead of on the disc like the XB1 version (MS has no such requirement).

mr lurtle

Yeah it's a requirement from Sony that multi-game carts/discs have a front-end that you can use to select between the games. It's the reason why the Dead Island Remaster had Riptide as a download code on PS4 instead of on the disc like the XB1 version (MS has no such requirement).
Speaking of Dead Island, the Austrian/PEGI PS4 version actually comes with Riptide on disc.

One thing that I find to be a bit of a bummer about Special Reserve Games is how the releases seem more akin to IndieBox than something more "traditional" that other publishers like LRG puts out. Would prefer the option to just get the game without any extra goodies tossed in.

A sneak peek of just one of the collectible goodies in the upcoming STRAFE box -- watch this space for dates and to feast your eyes on the whole glorious array!
17201208_241626679640803_2580331680816357512_n.jpg

Clive

One thing that I find to be a bit of a bummer about Special Reserve Games is how the releases seem more akin to IndieBox than something more "traditional" that other publishers like LRG puts out. Would prefer the option to just get the game without any extra goodies tossed in.

That's how I feel too. It's awesome with optional goodies and collectibles but I don't want LEs for games that I don't feel completely sure about. A case, a disc/cart and if possible, a manual. That's it. Feels like everything else inflates the cost of the item and shipping and the space on my shelves is limited.

That's how I feel too. It's awesome with optional goodies and collectibles but I don't want LEs for games that I don't feel completely sure about. A case, a disc/cart and if possible, a manual. That's it. Feels like everything else inflates the cost of the item and shipping and the space on my shelves is limited.

Didn't think of the increased shipping cost.

I was disappointed when it was revealed that Little Nightmares was going to get released in North America only as the "Six Edition" rather than have the option to buy the game standalone like in PAL territories, but all-in-all it being released at traditional retailers make the game about the same price as importing a LRG release to Canada. If that Six Edition had a decently large shipping cost on-top of it I doubt I would have picked it up.

Interviewed the Shovel Knight devs and they still want to bring the game to the Xbox One on disc, and there's interest around a Switch physical release as well.

”We had some snafus with Microsoft that prevented us from releasing physical on that platform, but we would still love to put out a physical version of the game on Xbox One," Velasco says. Velasco also tells us that there has been interest in a physical version for the Switch. He says the studio would also love to see this, though it doesn't have anything to announce as of now.

Source: http://gadgets.ndtv.com/games/featu...miibo-and-the-lack-of-an-xbox-one-phy-1670268

Is it gone though ? I just added it to my cart no problem.
It isn't. Wasn't either yesterday. I checked.

Eastasiasoft also tweeted about it a couple of hours ago, encouraging you to reserve a copy at P-A: https://twitter.com/eastasiasoft/status/842545188442583041
To be fair to that poster, it was when he posted it -- as I checked after seeing his post.

EDIT: It was also a few hours later. So they were probably gone for a while.

mr lurtle

I also checked shortly after the post and never saw it to be sold out. Kinda surprised actually as it seems to be a pretty low run.

I also checked shortly after the post and never saw it to be sold out. Kinda surprised actually as it seems to be a pretty low run.
I like these kinds of games, so I'm hoping it will play better than how it looks.

There is a demo on PSN from what I have read.

EDIT: lmao, played the demo. Wow. This game is mechanically absurd. A twin-stick shooter with slow inputs with its floaty mechanics? lol. Keeping this one in its shrink wrap. Incredible.

Semoreh

I like these kinds of games, so I'm hoping it will play better than how it looks.

There is a demo on PSN from what I have read.

EDIT: lmao, played the demo. Wow. This game is mechanically absurd. A twin-stick shooter with slow inputs with its floaty mechanics? lol. Keeping this one in its shrink wrap. Incredible.

I purchased it because I thought it could be interesting, but if it turns out bad like you say, I will probably stop completely from preordering games that have yet to prove themselves just because they're limited (looking at you Fallen Legion, as well as all the LRG Kickstarted games).

But that's just me ^^

I'll download the demo right away

I purchased it because I thought it could be interesting, but if it turns out bad like you say, I will probably stop completely from preordering games that have yet to prove themselves just because they're limited (looking at you Fallen Legion, as well as all the LRG Kickstarted games).

But that's just me ^^

I'll download the demo right away
I get the purpose. The game wants you to time actions in advance rather than in the moment. I really abhor that sort of thing.

It kind of reminds me of Furi. Every single action in that game was incredibly responsive except for the dodge.

Top Bottom