• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Huge Nintendo Switch exploit (potential hack) found on firmware 3.0.0

I haven't turned on my switch since,
since beginning on July - and I actually turned it off ( not sleep)

Does the switch automatically install updates or does it ask if I want to update?
What's the default option?

Vena

Not to mention the physical fuse thing.

That is effectively along the same lines. Since you cannot downgrade, you have to spoof future firmware.

But 3.0.1 changed all the system level keys and recompiled everything. So 3.0.1 has completely different, unknown keys for the entire system unlike anything 3.0.0 and under.

So in order to spoof, you'd have to upgrade (losing 3.0.0 and lower) and hack it all over again but without the 3.0.0 hole.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Not necessarily, remember that the homebrewing community is incredibly small compared to the people who actually buy and use the systems as intented. And the homebrew capabilities right now don't automatically mean instant piracy. And it's still relegated to a firmware that a lot of people already upgraded to.

Also cheaters wouldn't be able to access the online anyways.

Yeah, if it stays in those contained circles it obv. no big deal...but if it opens up for more mainstream use things will change quite fast. Especially on a system like Switch where the games are relatively small for todays standard and already supports micro sd cards.

Switch is a great system with alot of potential....hope we get at least 1-2 year for 3rds to invest in the system before piracy or something along the lines become an issue.

BigEmil

Even if they are a minority thay can stil destroy the online experience of people depending on the game.
And those very few who will do on Switch paid online hacking they will get banned like the recent 3DS banwave and this time including accounts. Ya'll over exaggerate this to push the reason for the homebrew scene not to develop

Welp, I can't believe I just did this...

Sr9ViPk.png

The timing of this news and the system being available on Amazon.com for MSRP, coupled with the fact that I haven't had this much disposable income in a very long time... the synchronicity was too strong to pass up.

I already have a Switch since launch and it's updated to the latest fw. This should be a little to no risk investment at worst, and potentially a very valuable one. I figure if I end up not needing it I can sell it without much if any loss of value.

The Jutty

I used to be really interested in homebrew on consoles during the og xbox gen. It just seems a lot easier to do this stuff on PC now. I really hope that this comes in a way that it's only homebrew. I really love the switch and don't want to see it ruined this early.

LordKano

Guys, think twice before buying a 300$ console for a potentiel exploit that has yet to show any results. It could led to absolutely nothing.

LordKano

Orrrr it could lead to major homebrew which you won't have access to if you don't buy it now.

Hence why I said "could". But for now, there's nothing, and that kind of false positive wouldn't be the first case in history of exploits. I'm just warning people.

Guys, think twice before buying a 300$ console for a potentiel exploit that has yet to show any results. It could led to absolutely nothing.

Console is in very high demand and out of stock in most places (and expected to get even more scarce as end of year approaches), so shouldn't be hard at all to sell it without loss if need be.

An extra dock and an extra pair of Joy-Cons aren't cheap on their own. There are some benefits to getting a second system even if no homebrew exploit is ever developed.

Comet

I haven't turned on my switch since,
since beginning on July - and I actually turned it off ( not sleep)

Does the switch automatically install updates or does it ask if I want to update?
What's the default option?

I forget the options for the Switch. At worse it might automatically download the update but you'd still have to consent to its upgrade.

Oh come on. People will continue to move the goalpost to whereever they need it to justify their need for homebrew. There has always been "some I need this because nintendo doesn't allow it"
It's crap. If excuses make you feel better about the fact that your precious homebrew leads to shitty online thanks to cheaters and to a possible software drought thanks to scared 3rd parties please go on, but don't pretend it's something that NEEDS to happen.
("you" is refering to the general you)

I disagree and anecdotally would use myself as proof. I used to jailbreak all my iPhones and hack my consoles, but that was always done to add functionality that should be there. My 3g was hacked to add a video camera. The functionality was there, Apple just didn't unlock it. I don't jailbreak my phones anymore because all of the features I cared about that I could get from a jailbreak are now baked into iOS.

I don't have much of a use for hacked consoles since companies are getting better about letting me play other games on my consoles from previous generations. For example, the new 3ds lets us play SNES games on the go so I don't really need a hacked one anymore. If the vita had more psp games on it I wouldn't have a hacked version of that system either.

I know a lot of people use homebrew for piracy, I don't, I've always used homebrew/jailbreaking to add functionality that should have been there in the first place. We have such powerful pieces of hardware out there that can do a lot of cool shit, so it's frustrating when something like the Switch doesn't even have Nintendo VC games on it. Homebrew just to add that would be AMAZING, and people will clamor for that until Nintendo actually delivers that functionality.

Comet

I disagree and anecdotally would use myself as proof. I used to jailbreak all my iPhones and hack my consoles, but that was always done to add functionality that should be there. My 3g was hacked to add a video camera. The functionality was there, Apple just didn't unlock it. I don't jailbreak my phones anymore because all of the features I cared about that I could get from a jailbreak are now baked into iOS.

I don't have much of a use for hacked consoles since companies are getting better about letting me play other games on my consoles from previous generations. For example, the new 3ds lets us play SNES games on the go so I don't really need a hacked one anymore. If the vita had more psp games on it I wouldn't have a hacked version of that system either.

I know a lot of people use homebrew for piracy, I don't, I've always used homebrew/jailbreaking to add functionality that should have been there in the first place. We have such powerful pieces of hardware out there that can do a lot of cool shit, so it's frustrating when something like the Switch doesn't even have Nintendo VC games on it. Homebrew just to add that would be AMAZING, and people will clamor for that until Nintendo actually delivers that functionality.

It's really frustrating that Nintendo hasn't done much with VC yet. People say it's a new console so delays are expected. Of course, this is all valid. But it is also an example of them not caring to implement it sooner rather than later. If they wanted to they could like they did with the Wii in 2006 and have VC right there. They made it a priority. People want VC. My and a co-worker keep fantasizing about a Metroid Prime trilogy collection on the Switch. Guess what, these exploits will probably allow someone to do this, more so when Nintendo doesn't offer what its fans clearly want. Ditto for things like Mother 3 translation roms.

Uh...have you ever had an exploited/hacked console?

"Only homebrew" can go quite a ways.

eh i thought this was straight up piracy which is why i was worried since the system is only 5 months old. the only thing this can do right now is patches, english translations(MHXX menu translator soon!), romhacks, and save edits.

They dont even have emulation for older systems working and apparently it would be a lot more work to get it working so we wont have early an Virtual Console either

Vena

eh i thought this was straight up piracy which is why i was worried since the system is only 5 years old. the only thing this can do right now is patches, english translations(MHXX menu translator soon!), romhacks, and save edits.

They dont even have emulation for older systems working and apparently it would be a lot more work to get it working so we wont have early an Virtual Console either

This is a sys exploit. It doesn't itself generate anything other than that, and this has been the major exploit since 1.0.0, but it gives people access to the system's basic functions just shy of controlling the kernel. Its a big deal (for those who didn't patch).

Developing anything after that takes time, people, and interest. It can still take over a year if not longer for anything to come of this, and it could be forever stuck on 3.0.0 and under.

Emulation sure, but I really don't want this to be case of piracy downloading full games and putting them on a SD card and inserting.

I would love to see the switch lasting a few years without any form of way to play illegal copies

malfcn

Online and new games require new updates right. So can only emulate launch games and homebrew?

Everyone gets excited about this type of news but I don't understand all the nuances that separate it from piracy.

Don't you have to own and rip your own games?
If the games you want to rip have to be modified, it's that still okay?

I'm not trying to drag the news or discussion. I'm just not educated in this area of gaming.

Regiruler

Considering how garbage VC usually is, you're better off with homebrew, so it's not really a "flimsy" excuse at all.

I'm struggling to think of how outside of the color problem for N64 games, and the NES fuzzing.

I just bought Galaxy Blade yesterday and I'm having a blast.

bibs

Ultimately, isn't too much to be worried about the narrowness of this exploit only working on certain firmware will mean it won't spread that much. I have no interest in hacking my Switch, but I have no problems towards people who do as ultimately, if Nintendo are that stupid to not ensure there system is completely locked down and secured, they deserve to have the Switch hacked. I'm assuming they pay people good money to develop and maintain the security systems of the Switch, and so if the are beaten by some volunteer hackers, they clearly are bad at their jobs.

Vena

For anyone curious on just how big of an update was had in 3.0.1, here are some choice tweets on the subject:

https://twitter.com/daeken/status/896159472204226561

https://twitter.com/daeken/status/898135382541312000

and,

https://twitter.com/sirocyl/status/898104937628008448

The scene's going to stay on 3.0.0 for a long time, so I recommend not waiting on exploits post that because it will be a long time.

If this is true then I'm in.

Its true. Been true for a while.

When people say "Save Edits" does that mean I have to be worried about Splatoon 2 and Mario Kart 8D online being ruined? I need to know before I get too sad over it the online scene dying so quickly.

Blam

Welp, I can't believe I just did this...

Sr9ViPk.png

The timing of this news and the system being available on Amazon.com for MSRP, coupled with the fact that I haven't had this much disposable income in a very long time... the synchronicity was too strong to pass up.

I already have a Switch since launch and it's updated to the latest fw. This should be a little to no risk investment at worst, and potentially a very valuable one. I figure if I end up not needing it I can sell it without much if any loss of value.

wew.

wetalo

I mean, is this like "They can't go online YET" or "Nothing will come of this EVER because nothing here can advance to newer firmwares"?

For that you'll have to wait and see. Could be they never go online, could be they find a way to bypass the security checks tomorrow. Usually console online tends to be safe nowadays. There are exceptions though, the Wii especially was bad, but I like to think Nintendo's stepped up since then.

Im on 3.0.0 and i will hack my switch as soon as possible to back up my zelda save file. I absolutely do not want to risk losing my 150 hour save file on the off chance that nintendo finally has a change of heart.
I also want plex, hackers plz.

Top Bottom