• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon 2 Squid Research Lab (news updates on the game)

I hope it's at least available when you're waiting to join a friend's match, like how Mario Kart works. Splatoon 1 just had a countdown screen and basically nothing else. Although it should probably be locked only to the person you joined on, so you can't use it to ghost/cheat with your friend.

Dystify

GIF from their tweet.

A6lZ3D8.gif

If I didn't play Splatoon, but was always intrigued by it, is it worth picking it up on Wii U to get into it before Splatoon 2 do you guys think? I kind of want to get into it, but on the other hand if I get used to the Wii U version now with the Gamepad second screen, it might just mess me up and I'd be better off jumping into the single-screen version directly…

No idea. I have no inkling on how the transition will be, and the lack of being able to see the map at all times is the only thing that I'm worried about Splatoon 2.

ryechu

No idea. I have no inkling on how the transition will be, and the lack of being able to see the map at all times is the only thing that I'm worried about Splatoon 2.

I don't think itll be that bad. It seems like something you would just get used to after a day or so. Pressing the x button doesnt sound unintuitive at all, and i didnt really like looking down. Mostly because I play at my desk and my gamepad gets partiall covered by my desk when im leaning forward.

Jintor

the camera transitions between switches is interesting

seems like it's pretty clearly for offline tournie purposes

ryechu

the camera transitions between switches is interesting

seems like it's pretty clearly for offline tournie purposes

They are definitely aware of online tourneys though. The devs signed a thing for that battlefy tournament. I doubt this wont work online.

Geg

we esports now

Based on the description in the tweets it looks like this was made completely with esports in mind. It talks about how the two specators will be able to use it to provide live commentary and show different perspectives simultaneously

Geg

Basically it's up to 8 players for local wireless, while LAN can have an extra two people for spectator mode. LAN needs to be on the TV mode and does not require an internet connection.

Also you can hook up 9th and 10th switches for wired LAN for spectator mode for streams or even to just record stuff offline to upload later. And no, you don't need the internet for wired LAN anymore, which is why it's a hidden function.

EDIT: GODDAMMIT GEG

Another tweet!

Basically they confirmed that 8 Nintendo Switches with Splatoon 2 can be used for local battles. This does not require an internet connection. There's also a hidden function that allows private match via wired LAN. Also a 9th and 10th Switch can be used for Spectator mode locally.

Quite a bit of news for a port no...?
lol

That's a lot of Switches. EIGHT? I don't think I've got eight friends who want to get a Switch.

For real, though: that's good news.

Hmm...there's one concern I'm starting to have for the Switch...will we not be able to use additional controllers for local multi-player? Like say 4 Pro Controllers for Mario Kart or Splatoon? Would hate for all of my friends to need Switch's to play local with me

Remember when the Battle Dojo was our only option for local multiplayer?

We've certainly come a long way since then.
But this is just a Splatoon port I was told. 😎

Hmm...there's one concern I'm starting to have for the Switch...will we not be able to use additional controllers for local multi-player? Like say 4 Pro Controllers for Mario Kart or Splatoon? Would hate for all of my friends to need Switch's to play local with me
In the trailer they showed people using a Pro Controller to play Splatoon on the go.

J@hranimo

Banned
Hmm...there's one concern I'm starting to have for the Switch...will we not be able to use additional controllers for local multi-player? Like say 4 Pro Controllers for Mario Kart or Splatoon?

I'm gonna bet we can play the game with the Pro Controller while the Switch is in Tabletop mode. They showed it in the First Look trailer for the Switch, so it seems like a possibility.

edit: Dammit Dark Cloud! lol

I'm gonna bet we can play the game with the Pro Controller while the Switch is in Tabletop mode. They showed it in the First Look trailer for the Switch, so it seems like a possibility
That's definitely the case when you're playing alone from what I saw in the trailers. I was just wondering if we could just use multiple controllers (4+) on one Switch

Rather funny when there just a discussion(if you wanna call it that) about how Splatoon 2 is really just a port.

Splatoon for switch is perfect for me. I like it, but i hated playing with the gamepad

Geg

I doubt there's going to be splitscreen or anything so most likely everyone would need their own switch

I doubt there's going to be splitscreen or anything so most likely everyone would need their own switch
...if this is the case, that would really suck. One of the things I've always loved about their systems was that I only needed one of them to play with my friends. Most of them don't really buy gaming systems or aren't into Nintendo enough to buy their systems so this would pretty much ruin multi-player on Nintendo systems for me

You can definitely play Mario Kart with 4 controllers and 1 Switch in tabletop or TV mode, this was demonstrated on Treehouse Live. As for Splatoon, it's not currently confirmed; depends on whether or not they add a splitscreeen mode. Maybe they will now that gyro controls are standard, maybe something else is holding them back. Remains to be seen.

If you're asking about some combination of the two (i.e. 4 pro controllers spread across 2 Switches), I don't see why not but that hasn't been confirmed (even for Mario Kart) either.

Kicko

Selfish wish but I hope Nintendo makes a LE sku of Splatoon 2 with the soundtrack included.

This would be nice, but if Nintendo handles the release of content in the manner that they did with the first Splatoon, you can be certain that new in-game bands will pop up later on down the line. The special edition soundtrack could be rendered 'incomplete' in short time.

You can definitely play Mario Kart with 4 controllers and 1 Switch in tabletop or TV mode, this was demonstrated on Treehouse Live. As for Splatoon, it's not currently confirmed; depends on whether or not they add a splitscreeen mode. Maybe they will now that gyro controls are standard, maybe something else is holding them back. Remains to be seen.

If you're asking about some combination of the two (i.e. 4 pro controllers spread across 2 Switches), I don't see why not but that hasn't been confirmed (even for Mario Kart) either.
Oh okay, that's a relief. It's just that I didn't really see that in the trailers or announcements from Nintendo so I was getting kind of worried. Nice to know I'll be fine for Smash and Kart then. Just hope Splatoon 2 offers the same

AKC12

Knew about spectator mode when some observers noticed it during the Switch event, but still great to get that confirmation

This would be nice, but if Nintendo handles the release of content in the manner that they did with the first Splatoon, you can be certain that new in-game bands will pop up later on down the line. The special edition soundtrack could be rendered 'incomplete' in short time.

I hope Octavio gets some more music this time around.

J@hranimo

Banned
Is it just me, or has the lighting, textures, and AA really improved? Game looks noticeably better to me. Can't wait.

Nah that's the same build from a month ago. The direct feed gameplay just makes everything look so much better, which I like.

might as well post it here too

from splatoon us tumblr

Eureka! We’ve just discovered a breakthrough in squid-observation technology! In Splatoon 2, a new feature called Private Battle Spectator View will allow up to two non-players to spectate a Private Battle. These two people act as camera operators in order capture all the action. This is, of course, in addition to the 8 players who fight in the Private Battle. Outstanding!

http://splatoonus.tumblr.com/post/157089886124/eureka-weve-just-discovered-a-breakthrough-in#notes

Previously, we’ve reported that Splatoon 2 will allow up to eight Nintendo Switch systems to connect via local wireless to play Private Battles. In addition to this, a new feature called LAN Play will enable players to connect eight docked systems using a wired LAN setup. This feature allows players to create local Private Battle tournaments without the need for an Internet connection.

If you’re willing to put in the work to set up LAN Play, you can also use the Private Battle Spectator View feature by hooking up two additional Nintendo Switch systems. Local wireless play is perfect for your regular gaming get-togethers, but LAN Play is where it’s at when you want to organize a serious tournament event with your fellow players.

http://splatoonus.tumblr.com/post/157089940714/previously-weve-reported-that-splatoon-2-will

DKL

Local wireless play is perfect for your regular gaming get-togethers, but LAN Play is where it’s at when you want to organize a serious tournament event with your fellow players.

This is possibly the most important piece of news for this game.

INK SPORTS.

Another tweet! https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/830274846303019009

Basically they confirmed that 8 Nintendo Switches with Splatoon 2 can be used for local battles. This does not require an internet connection. There's also a hidden function that allows private match via wired LAN. Also a 9th and 10th Switch can be used for Spectator mode locally.

Quite a bit of news for a port no...?
lol
so basically esports mode

Top Bottom