• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Six Flags Over Texas takes down their six flags over Texas

besada

Banned
I'm sure the founders of the parks (whom all had the same rights we share as Americans) would be happy to know that their freedoms and their history were denounced in the year 2017.

Well, the founder of the park was Angus Wynne, Jr. who is dead, so I don't imagine he cares overmuch. Beyond that, he mostly did the flags thing as a gimmick, and wasn't a Confederate loving yahoo racist, so, again, I don't think he'd care much. As for his rights, he sold the company before he died, so even if this were some sort of rights issue -- and it isn't -- he'd have already turned those rights over to the new owners, who made this decision.

Geist-

The name "Six Flags" refers to the flags of the six different nations that have governed Texas: Spain, France, Mexico, the Republic of Texas, the United States, and the Confederate States of America.
If the confederate flag wasn't so politically relevant right now as a symbol for Nazis and racism, this would have been really cool as a history easter egg. Maybe they could replace the confederate flag with one of the major Texas-based Native American tribes instead?

besada

Banned
If the confederate flag wasn't so politically relevant right now as a symbol for Nazis and racism, this would have been really cool as a history easter egg. Maybe they could replace the confederate flag with one of the major Texas-based Native American tribes instead?

Given what Texans did to the Hasinai, I'm not sure that would be particularly welcome.

If nothing else, people will finally realize the battle flag (the racist one) wasn't the Confederate flag and isn't part of "Confederate Heritage" whatever that means...

Well, the founder of the park was Angus Wynne, Jr. who is dead, so I don't imagine he cares overmuch. Beyond that, he mostly did the flags thing as a gimmick, and wasn't a Confederate loving yahoo racist, so, again, I don't think he'd care much. As for his rights, he sold the company before he died, so even if this were some sort of rights issue -- and it isn't -- he'd have already turned those rights over to the new owners, who made this decision.

Perfect response to that foolishness.

Given the historical context, I am ok in this instance of all six flags flying. It's a clearly logical reason for the name of the park and the history of the state. It does make sense.

It is also not the inflammatory battle flag trash. I'd wager that most people who fly the battle flag couldn't identify the actual CSA flag.

I won't cry over the situation of them potentially coming down, but I don't think this particular situation is a good one to point to as glorification of what the CSA stood for. Like many statues built over the years.

Although I guess historical places in Germany do not fly the Nazi flag in any circumstance no matter the context. Which is fair.

Given the historical context, I am ok in this instance of all six flags flying. It's a clearly logical reason for the name of the park and the history of the state. It does make sense.

It is also not the inflammatory battle flag trash. I'd wager that most people who fly the battle flag couldn't identify the actual CSA flag.

I won't cry over the situation of them potentially coming down, but I don't think this particular situation is a good one to point to as glorification of what the CSA stood for. Like many statues built over the years.

Although I guess historical places in Germany do not fly the Nazi flag in any circumstance no matter the context. Which is fair.

Yeah I had no idea there were multiple confederate flag styles. I'm used to the one we see in the media. The flag Six Flags uses looks closer to the original Betsy Ross flag with the circle of stars

Lkr

Six Flags: Great America in Illinois, to my knowledge, has always just flown six American Flags:

oE8MflL.jpg

iirc magic mountain was like this too when i was a kid. these are the only two six flags locations i've been to (both are awesome)

the funny thing about this whole thing is that i don't think anyone was offended by the flags they were flying in texas based on most responses here as it seems no one had any idea there was a confederate flag that wasn't the one we're used to seeing bobby down the road flying in the back of his pickup truck. it actually seems to me there was a legit reasoning given the theming of this park (6 flags recognizing 6 different texas governments) but i'm not going to cry about it being taken down. i am puzzled that the rest were taken down though, but i assume they will just become like the rest of the six flags parks and fly 6 american flags

Yeah I had no idea there were multiple confederate flag styles. I'm used to the one we see in the media. The flag Six Flags uses looks closer to the original Betsy Ross flag with the circle of stars

I feel like the difference here is like that between the Nazi flag and the Axis flag. The Swastika is reprehensible if seen in public, but I do believe there is an attraction in Europa Park in Germany that has the Axis flag somewhere.

Did they really have to take down all the flags? Why not replace the confederate one?

Because the park hasn't been organized around the flags for decades. There used to be a themed land for every flag, but now it's themed around a Batman Land and a Looney Toons Land and random shit. Even beyond the links to the Confederacy, it just doesn't make sense anymore.

That's why you see most posters coming in here and saying that they had no idea what the Six Flags name originally meant. It hasn't been a part of the park for a long time.

Dishwalla

Banned
Because the park hasn't been organized around the flags for decades. There used to be a themed land for every flag, but now it's themed around a Batman Land and a Looney Toons Land and random shit. Even beyond the links to the Confederacy, it just doesn't make sense anymore.

That's why you see most posters coming in here and saying that they had no idea what the Six Flags name originally meant. It hasn't been a part of the park for a long time.

Well that and because the Six Flags name has spread all across North America and beyond without having the context of the original Texas park.

https://youtu.be/ULBCuHIpNgU

Video covers all the Confederate flag, what they were. Iirc, the flag everyone knows is a modified version of the Confederate battle flag (which was adopted because of the similarity of the two official flags causing friendly fire)

Fun fact: The racist flag was never an official Confederate Flag. It was the Confederate Navy Jack(rectangular) and the Army of Northern Virginia's battle flag(square).
although other armies did adopt variatiants of it

It was however, added to the official flag near the end of the war, but only as a square in the upper left of the flag (where the stars are on the American flag.) These versions of the flag never really saw wide distribution though, so the one that was over six Flags was still the Confederate Flag as far as reality was concerned. (The first version looked too much like a white surrender flag, the second never actually going into full production.)

TheYanger

IM not a native Texan but have been here since I was 6. When I tell friends and family from other parts of the country that students in Texas are required to take a semester in junior high of Texas state history they are shocked. Dont know if it is still required now but it was when I went to school

That's a little weird to me. Certainly don't know anywhere else in the US that does that, though I will amdit that here in California we would have longer segments on stuff like the gold rush during standard history, I think there's something to be said for history being taught that a student can more directly relate to, probably helps with actually paying attention (We'd go panning for gold and stuff for example).

gdt

I've never seen the confederate flag in the Six Flags in NJ. I had no clue it was being used in Texas lmao

I've never seen the confederate flag in the Six Flags in NJ. I had no clue it was being used in Texas lmao

Six Flags bought Great Adventure after the fact. For GA it was always just a corporate name.

Also, NJ was part of the Union so it'd have made no sense.

Dishwalla

Banned
That's a little weird to me. Certainly don't know anywhere else in the US that does that, though I will amdit that here in California we would have longer segments on stuff like the gold rush during standard history, I think there's something to be said for history being taught that a student can more directly relate to, probably helps with actually paying attention (We'd go panning for gold and stuff for example).

We had Idaho history in like 4th grade, which basically taught us about all the Native American tribes that were here. Also learned about Sacajawea and her aid on the Lewis and Clark Expedition. Any other kids who were in school in Idaho in the 90s help me out here.

slit

acknowledging that it exists isn't promoting it or glorifying it.

as has been stated it was 6 flags because of the 6 governments texas has belonged to.

do you think the mexican flag or french flag are glorifying those countries, while inside the USA?

Yeah? Did I say differently? I was responding to someone who said the park founder's history was denounced. Those other flags don't have the same stigma attached to them in the U.S. that the Confederate flag does, so what is your point?

Can't say I ever remember seeing that flag fly here in NJ at Great Adventure, but then again someone else in the thread pointed out it's been six American flags for a while now anyway.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Yeah? Did I say differently? I was responding to someone who said the park founder's history was denounced. Those other flags don't have the same stigma attached to them in the U.S. that the Confederate flag does, so what is your point?
I thought my point was pretty clear. It's not glorifying Confederates to have that flag up with all the other flags.

The stigma your referring to is really related to the Confederate battle flag. As evidence by this very thread multiple people had to look up the flag to even know.

Take em down I don't really care one way of the other. I just don't think acknowledging that Texas has been a part of 6 different countries is all that terrible.

ReAxion

file me under not knowing, either. replace the confederate one with a surrender flag.

i don't recall seeing any flags other than the logo at Magic Mountain.

RyanW

Always knew about the story but never thought of it in anyways because the flag everyone associates the confederacy with wasn't the one being flown.

Flying a flag that recognizes indigenous people right next to the flags of the nations that exterminated them wouldn't be an improvement

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
They should just put up 6 American flags and call it a day

Like the flag of Mississippi?

How about replacing the Confederate flag with a native American one?

It'd be a modern creation, because there were none back then.

In an attempt to avoid looking bad for flying the Confederate flag, they remove the Spanish flag less than 24 hours after the country suffered a terror attack?
Their PR team are A grade.

If they were being historically accurate, it'd probably be the Cross of Burgundy:

Not the modern Spanish flag like you're thinking...

Im not surprised people had no idea that was a confederate flag. I mean very few people batted an eye when Georgia changed their state flag to this. Its only the battle flag that everyone seems to know.

GeorgiaStateFlag.jpg

dark_chris

Gold Member
Great America was originally owned by Marriott

And the Whizzer is the only remaining ride from the original Marriott park.
Fun trivia - my father went when it was Marriott Great America and always made a fuss about how ridiculous the price has changed from then to now lol

MIMIC

Banned
The name "Six Flags" refers to the flags of the six different nations that have governed Texas: Spain, France, Mexico, the Republic of Texas, the United States, and the Confederate States of America.

Oh wow. Did not know that. Considering the controversy, I'd still change it. Not everyone is gonna automatically know this. And even then, it's bad PR in this climate.

woodchuck

I have no problem with them flying the Confederate flag. They aren't idolizing the confederacy like a statue. They aren't showing the battle flag. In the context with the other 5 flags, I don't see the problem.

Top Bottom