• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Golf Story |OT| Return to Camelot

Duuke

I'm missing the middle Galf game in the inventory. Not sure where to find it. Completed everything else though, great game!

Thank you! So this footage for example is not representative? (Because it seems to judder all the time here...)

Oh wow it doesn't look anything at all like that. Whoever captured that footage used a terrible capture method.

I recall it stuttering maybe once or twice in my playthrough during a shot, and while it was annoying it happened so rarely that it really didn't affect my enjoyment at all.

BTA

I'm missing the middle Galf game in the inventory. Not sure where to find it. Completed everything else though, great game!

Weird question: have you tried talking to the Galf guy again?

I got it at some point without realizing it and it doesn’t show in the Story screen until you give it to him and he gives you the manual, so I only realized I had it after I gave him Nights and then talked to him again.

ghibli99

This seems like a lot of overthinking for the stats. A 1 or 2 degree draw isn't going to affect your shots much, nor -2 or 3% accuracy, control, etc. I just put points primarily into power and nudged the others back to center every few levels. You'd have to be pretty shit at lining up dots to need a ton of extra accuracy points.
Pretty much my approach to it as well. Put 3 points into power, and bump up whatever looks deficient at the bottom. Doesn't seem to make much (if any) difference in-game.

9 hours in, and the game's kinda losing me a little bit. I think I was expecting a little more out of the story. It just hasn't been very good in that respect, especially when I compare it to Stardew Valley, which isn't deep, but at least the subject matter and issues it touches on really connected with me at times. This is almost all comedic.

Oh wow it doesn't look anything at all like that. Whoever captured that footage used a terrible capture method.

I recall it stuttering maybe once or twice in my playthrough during a shot, and while it was annoying it happened so rarely that it really didn't affect my enjoyment at all.
That's a relief! Well, I'm sold. :)

Duuke

Weird question: have you tried talking to the Galf guy again?

I got it at some point without realizing it and it doesn’t show in the Story screen until you give it to him and he gives you the manual, so I only realized I had it after I gave him Nights and then talked to him again.

I'll try this thanks!

Griss

Really enjoying it, just got to the third course.

I am surprised, though, that the actual golf is pretty poor. I've been a golf gamer ever since 'Golf' on the NES, so I care about that part of the game maybe more than most, but I can't help but be disappointed by it.

The major issues:
-Putting is simply terrible. NES Open nailed this about three decades ago, so what happened here? Lacking any kind of slope indicators is a crime - the slope arrow they give you is a joke. On top of that the cup 'physics' just don't feel right - hitting the cup too hard or lipping out feels like you hit a solid obstacle rather than reacting to the cup.

-Chipping in is far too easy. It's easy to hit the pin and that will often get the ball into the cup. Precision mode also makes it too easy to land the ball just before the hole and roll it in. I feel like precision mode shouldn't have been allowed for short chips.

-You can't zoom out or see beyond where your drive will land, meaning you can often end up in bad spots after your roll. So many times I've ended up in a hazard I just couldn't see before I hit the ball. You have to watch the short flythrough of the hole just to see where the best landing spot is rather than studying the hole and picking your spot, and you never feel like you can see enough of the hole at one time.

-Drawing and fading the ball is a chore using the mechanics and the very difficult to read ball flight arc line.

Tee to green it's fine, it's okay. But putting is crucial to golf and it's trash. I've only played for about 3 hours or so, but already I'm making sure NOT to land on the green so I can just easily chip the ball in. Since I've done that it's like -9 a round no problem.

Ultimately this is a charming and well written 16-bit style RPG with mediocre golf mechanics in place of a battle system - and that's perfectly alright. As an RPG it's more than enough. I was just hoping that it would also hold its own as a golf game, but maybe that was expecting too much. It's still an outstanding game. Actual golf rounds are less than 10 percent of it, after all.

Greedings

I need to take a break. I was seeing the golf swing meter in my dreams last night.

Really great game though, I never thought I'd enjoy a golf game, but the cute story wrapper makes it palatable to me.

Dubz

Need some help.
I'm at second course and just dug up the idol. Now they want me to do something with the turtle but I can't figure it out. There's a bunch of yellow circles that I can search in, but nothing really happens. What do I need to do?

Mik3F

Need some help.
I'm at second course and just dug up the idol. Now they want me to do something with the turtle but I can't figure it out. There's a bunch of yellow circles that I can search in, but nothing really happens. What do I need to do?

Look around for the baby turtles, once you find them go to the yellow circles

Just finished the game, it's pretty cute. Ended the final tournament with a -5 score, even though I had a rough start. I honestly never managed to be able to read the wind efficiently and putting in general is really terribly implemented, so I'm glad the game as a whole is rather easy. Could have been an unpleasant experience with a harder difficulty.

Liked the humor a lot, but since the game never takes the protag's accomplishments seriously from start to finish, the story ends up being a bit unsatisfying. All in all a fun game though.

mrk8885

Banned
Just finished the game, it's pretty cute. Ended the final tournament with a -5 score, even though I had a rough start. I honestly never managed to be able to read the wind efficiently and putting in general is really terribly implemented, so I'm glad the game as a whole is rather easy. Could have been an unpleasant experience with a harder difficulty.

Liked the humor a lot, but since the game never takes the protag's accomplishments seriously from start to finish, the story ends up being a bit unsatisfying. All in all a fun game though.

I also just beat it. Would have been nice if they gave a little “I guess we were wrong about you all along” comment at the end. But I guess it’s a game and who cares lol.

Bate

I have finished the second world today. It is still not really grabbing me. The missions and rpg elements are (too) simple, the humor is really broad and to me it lacks personality. It is moderately entertaining and all around decent, but I am not exited like most other people are. Does it get better or should I move on to another game?

mrk8885

Banned
I have finished the second world today. It is still not really grabbing me. The missions and rpg elements are (too) simple, the humor is really broad and to me it lacks personality. It is moderately entertaining and all around decent, but I am not exited like most other people are. Does it get better or should I move on to another game?

If anything, I was enjoying it more toward the beginning and near the end really felt like a slog to me. I nearly gave it up but powered through. So maybe you should move on.

But I’m just one man and his opinion. Plus with my new baby at home I have much less gaming time, and am feeling like I can’t play everything I want and have a lowered tolerance for a game going on too long. So who knows.

Of the above I would say it definitely has personality, and it really shows itself when you get to Tidy Park. The second half is better than the first. I wasn’t really feeling it in the beginning either but I ended up solidly enjoying it overall.

They also don’t give you a lot of golf mechanics to work with at first, nor explain them very well.

It doesn’t EXPLODE into something incredible though, so if you’re still iffy around seven or eight hours maybe it just doesn’t grab you. It’s an entertaining and original sleeper but GOTY talk is crazy.

mindatlarge

If it's not grabbing you by now, it just might not be for you. Nothing wrong with that. I will say, I got kinda burnt out in the middle, then around 75% complete I got hooked again and wanted to see the thing through. I did love the first several hours the most though.

Bate

But I’m just one man and his opinion. Plus with my new baby at home I have much less gaming time, and am feeling like I can’t play everything I want and have a lowered tolerance for a game going on too long. So who knows.

Thats definitely a factor for me as well. My time is limited and there are so many games to play. Therefore i tend to prefer shorter experiences or games that value my time. I cannot really stand to slog through a game anymore.

Of the above I would say it definitely has personality, and it really shows itself when you get to Tidy Park. The second half is better than the first. I wasn’t really feeling it in the beginning either but I ended up solidly enjoying it overall.

They also don’t give you a lot of golf mechanics to work with at first, nor explain them very well.

It doesn’t EXPLODE into something incredible though, so if you’re still iffy around seven or eight hours maybe it just doesn’t grab you. It’s an entertaining and original sleeper but GOTY talk is crazy.

Which map is Tidy Park?

You're right. The golf mechanics are not blowing me away either. They are simplistic but some of the intricacies (like hit point mode) are not really well explained. Or I find it hard to read wind or slope. In a game called Golf Story I should be really looking forward to play the final 9 holes on each map, but its more like I want to put it behind me because it is not exactly thrilling.

BTA

Thats definitely a factor for me as well. My time is limited and there are so many games to play. Therefore i tend to prefer shorter experiences or games that value my time. I cannot really stand to slog through a game anymore.

Which map is Tidy Park?

You're right. The golf mechanics are not blowing me away either. They are simplistic but some of the intricacies (like hit point mode) are not really well explained. Or I find it hard to read wind or slope. In a game called Golf Story I should be really looking forward to play the final 9 holes on each map, but its more like I want to put it behind me because it is not exactly thrilling.

Tidy is the 5th course. But I wouldn’t say it’s distinctly better than the prior courses, though there are some events there that are interesting.

I think I more or less had a similar opinion to you and maintained it throughout the game. I’ve done, I think, 100% of the game barring the final tournament I’m stuck on now, but I did basically of it while watching a stream or listening to a podcast. If I was focusing on the game I think I would have gotten bored much faster.

purbeast

While I do agree the putting was pretty hard and almost seemed a bit lazy, I am glad that the game isn't TOO easy. I'm glad it's not easy to read wind and putting. Most people are used to playing Tiger Woods where -27 is a common score for 18 holes of golf. I personally don't like golf games like that. I want it to be at least SOMEWHAT realistic as far as scoring goes.

I typically finished 9 hole stroke play with like -4 or -5, which still is a bit unrealistic, but it's a lot more fun to me than finishing -12 after 9 holes like you do in a lot of other golf games.

Griss

I have to say, Lara is an absolutely fantastic rival.

The things she (and others) say after a shot just make me crack up because they're so true to life. I'll never forget my brother hitting one out of bounds and saying 'Damn, I hit that too pure. It was actually too good to stay in bounds..." and he was dead serious.

Or when I smack one 270 into the middle of the fairway in a tournament and the guy I'm playing against goes 'Barely...'

This game really gets it.

BizzyBum

Beat it after around 20 hours or so.

Pretty great and the courses got challenging by the end. I would play other sports games in this fashion if people made them.

I wonder what the max level is? I was at 36 I think.

BTA

Something clicked and I managed to get -4 on the tournament after a few more bad starts that I quit out of within the first few holes. In my final attempt I only went over par on a single hole, with a bogey on the 9th. So that's everything done in a little under 20 hours.

It was... decent? I think I soured on parts of it faster than I’d like, particularly as the challenges just got annoying by the end. It worked well as a stream/podcast game though, and I did laugh occasionally. I’m sorry to be a downer but I just never found it to be sincerely charming or very funny overall.

I’d play the team’s next game but I’d hope they’d polish it more (at least learn to do camera transitions instead of jarring cuts that sometimes are buggy, please) and that it doesn’t become super repetitive by the end.

Beat it after around 20 hours or so.

Pretty great and the courses got challenging by the end. I would play other sports games in this fashion if people made them.

I wonder what the max level is? I was at 36 I think.

I think 36 is it? Pretty sure I’m that and did everything.

Took a bit to get in the swing of things and despite stats not really mattering and the game being relatively easy, its an enjoyable experience. Its no Mario golf (I was kinda hoping it was).

dLMN8R

I'm around 12 hours into the game, and am absolutely loving it. Just got to the
snowy
area.

My wife was watching me play during the
rap battle
. I never expected this game to be so hilariously endearing!

Burning Justice

the superior princess
Finished the game 100% earlier today.
I found the game's ending to be a little anticlimactic, honestly. I was hoping the main character would get at least SOME recognition by the end of it, but it still seemed like not many people cared.

I enjoyed the game a lot, though. Definitely fills the void the lack of new Mario Golf RPGs had left, and then some.

fuck do i take a second shot in the first world if I don't get a hole in one? my ball is sitting there and i can't initiate another shot unless it's between those two squares

daviyoung

Banned
fuck do i take a second shot in the first world if I don't get a hole in one? my ball is sitting there and i can't initiate another shot unless it's between those two squares

Huh? If you're in a course your ball setting is done automatically. If you're out of the course you can drop as many balls as you want with Y

Really hoping that patch comes in soon. I picked it up again, apprehensively. Slowly messing around in the second world, passing the time between Dishonored and Mario.

Kegien

Neo Member
I've hit quite a few bugs, but nothing game breaking.

So far everything about Tidy Park is brilliant. Just got to
therapbattle
. Brilliant stuff. Surprise GOTY contender?

The
Rap Battle
was incredible... It just kept going! Love this game - Charming, fun gameplay, and good pacing.

Stat!

Finished it 100%. The only technical issue I had was with GALF.

Otherwise, what an amazing game! Easily one of my top 10 games of all time. The writing is incredible. Wish it was slightly harder but overall a ton of fun and I hope we get Golf Story 2.

Griss

Because you're walking around the course that you'll play a round on later in the game. Just press on and don't worry

I've got to be honest - I don't get this either. The course that you end up playing on is clearly separate from the stuff you see in the actual RPG mode where you're running around doing stuff. So what's the relation between the two areas?

mindatlarge

I've got to be honest - I don't get this either. The course that you end up playing on is clearly separate from the stuff you see in the actual RPG mode where you're running around doing stuff. So what's the relation between the two areas?
The holes you see around the different locations/towns are for
side quests
and some
main quests
. Without them, the game just wouldn't contain as much golfing.

Would definitely be instantly down for a sequel to this...also think Tennis would work really well with this kind of game in pretty much the exact same style. Think I want a Golf Story 2 more than anything, though. Just make the stats/leveling up and gear more meaningful (plus more gear), improve putting, and make chip shots more difficult. Would also be cool to have a character creator.

Having fun on my second playthrough currently, but man does it go by super fast compared to that first one. I'm surprised to be saying this, but it's honestly my GOTY so far. Clicked with me in so many ways.

duckroll

There's probably no way this game gets any DLC, right?

Given how it's a tiny indie team, before they work on more content they should probably work on making sure everyone can enjoy the game for what it is without running into annoying bugs first. So maybe in 2046?

BTA

Your guess is as good as mine. 50/50

I mean, given how messy the game is overall I sorta doubt they designed the game with adding DLC onto it in mind. I’m guessing how easy it is to actually add that infrastructure (and then the DLC itself) to the existing game will decide whether or not they do make any.

There’s a couple different sequel hooks and one of them could easily be DLC instead, so there’s that at least.

Sidebar apparently sent the patch to Nintendo 10 days ago. Really hoping it's made available to users soon, so my broken save can be made whole again.

Top Bottom