• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread |OT2| All Riffs, No Gifs

Very well stated. How about Motorhead then?

I played bass for many years, so I totally dig their sound. Lots of crunchy, distorted bass lines.

The lead singer's voice meshes so well with their sound. He's definitely not a good technical singer, not in the slightest. But I really dig his voice since it's unique. If one of their tracks came on the radio I would recognize him instantly.

Animal as leaders breaking top 25 on the billboard, pretty impressive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8saKHKt1A5Q

That's a killer track. Love it. Do they do vocals or is it all instrumental?

friday

Where will you be seeing them?

I'll be seeing them in SF in a couple weeks I think. Been waiting for over a year since they had to reschedule last year.

NYC - Irving Plaza

There is a solid week of good shows too. The day after is Gorguts and Carcass and then the following Friday Behemoth is playing. Still havent decided if I want to go see Behemoth or not. They are playing with 1349 and Goatwhore.

kingslunk

It might have been more in the context of me listening to several albums back to back. Basically, I went into an exclusive Iron Maiden mode for a few nights while playing Diablo and his voice started wearing thin on me after awhile. I'm not positive I was listening to their best stuff (although, literally, one of the albums was a "Best Of" compilation, haha).

It's very subjective, I suppose, but I think the combination of the higher range notes combined with the excess vibrato doesn't work for me. I know every genre ends up having a rough prototype for vocal styles (I grew up listening to and playing punk, after all), but that particular belting strikes me as a bit silly and forced. It reminds me a bit of the hair rock or glam rock vocal styles of the 70s and 80s, which aren't my cup of tea.

The Iron Maiden guitar work, I will say, is top notch. I like their drum work. It's solely the vocals that don't work for me.

I would say he is unique in his sound, not empirically bad. I haven't listened to later Ozzy, but the early stuff is edgy and very original in its sound. I would concede that he is not a technically brilliant singer, but I've always been drawn to different sounding voices. Some of my favorite singers aren't all that great from a purely objective standpoint, but they mesh perfectly with their style of music.

No band really tops Maiden live.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJL-ELn3Jwc

Bruce's voice is fucking awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSLPwCG3shs
I'm an old fart compared to some of you guys and I'd hate to say it, but they just don't make 'em like they used to.
Metal GAF, what are your thoughts about this track?

Beneath The Remains crushes Arise. I feel most of Arise is a lazy and dry sounding album. Beneath The Remains is for when you want to get fucked by riffs.

NYC - Irving Plaza

There is a solid week of good shows too. The day after is Gorguts and Carcass and then the following Friday Behemoth is playing. Still havent decided if I want to go see Behemoth or not. They are playing with 1349 and Goatwhore.

OM will be playing the same week as Godflesh in SF. Last couple of weeks was Sleep and Carcass/Gorguts. Pretty relentless schedule of shows for me so far.

ShaneB

It might have been more in the context of me listening to several albums back to back. Basically, I went into an exclusive Iron Maiden mode for a few nights while playing Diablo and his voice started wearing thin on me after awhile. I'm not positive I was listening to their best stuff (although, literally, one of the albums was a "Best Of" compilation, haha).

Well the first track I showed you was Hallowed be thy Name, a metal masterpiece and certainly an optimal introduction track, and you seemed to like that, so maybe it's a matter of wrong track selection, but who knows. I'd like to chat about more in depth, can't believe you don't like Bruce Dickinson (Heck, maybe the albums you listened to were The X Factor and Virtual XI! :p but I do like those actually, just not exactly what should be first listens) :( But, taste is taste. We'll chat about more sometime, no worries.

Kaladin

Goddamn! Nice crushing riffs. I've never heard of these guys.

The band features members of Obscura, Dark Fortress and Tryptykon. Everything I have listened to so far is awesome. From all I can tell, this is their first release that will be widely available and their second album overall.

fallout

I went through this phase in high school where Maiden eventually lead to me listening to stuff like Dream Theater, Blind Guardian, Iced Earth, Symphony X, etc. I don't listen to much of it anymore, but I think it allowed me to build up a tolerance for high, operatic vocals.

Also, "old farts" better not be 30, because I just turned 30 the other day. :|

Man, I know it will never happen but, if Necrophagist would ever put out another album I'd be the happiest dude alive. I was listening to some of my "older" death metal and Epitaph is a brilliant technical death metal album. It's a shame it won't get a sequel.

If you're interested:

The Stillborn One
Stabwound

Also, I consider myself an old fart and I'm in my early 30s.

SOME-MIST

Man, I know it will never happen but, if Necrophagist would ever put out another album I'd be the happiest dude alive. I was listening to some of my "older" death metal and Epitaph is a brilliant technical death metal album. It's a shame it won't get a sequel.

If you're interested:

The Stillborn One
Stabwound

Also, I consider myself an old fart and I'm in my early 30s.
I started to lose hope in Metal GAF because barely anyone discusses progressive/tech.

did ya check out Christian Muenzner's solo work that I posted on the last page? He's was a studio guitarist on Necrophagist - Epitaph, Spawn of Possession - Incurso, and Defeated Sanity - Talk Evolution/The Parasite. I think you'll like it... especially if you like melodic tech metal.

What's even more impressive is that he has a neurological disorder that can often times disable his left hand pinky finger.

Christian also solo's on Hannes Grossmann's solo album (The Radial Covenant) whom was the drummer on necrophagist - epitaph, obscura's 3 albums, terrestrial exiled with Ron Jarzombek, and blotted science.

That was actually posted in the old thread ... which garnered no attention which is crazy. At least people are starting to find out about noneuclid on this page lol
the guest solos/appearances on The Radial Covenant are awesome:
jeff loomis from nevermore
per nilsson from scar symmetry
christian muenzner from all of the above
danny tunker from aborted
ron jarzombek from spastic ink/watchtower
morean from dark fortress and noneuclid
v.santura from triptykon and dark fortress
linus kalusenitzer from noneuclid and obscura

Oh, sweet. I'm going to check that out. Thanks.

EDIT: I was able to pick up The Radial Covenant (MP3) off of Amazon for just under $5 after credits I had.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSLPwCG3shs
I'm an old fart compared to some of you guys and I'd hate to say it, but they just don't make 'em like they used to.
Metal GAF, what are your thoughts about this track?

It's not my favorite on the album, but Arise is Sepultura's best for sure. A turning point, a catalyst for the evolution of metal. There were very few albums at the time this released that was in this class.

SOME-MIST

Oh, sweet. I'm going to check that out. Thanks.

EDIT: I was able to pick up The Radial Covenant (MP3) off of Amazon for just under $5 after credits I had.

awesome! Ron Jarzombek's solo work on The Voyager is my favorite - tho I think my favorite song is probably The Sorcerer.

awesome! Ron Jarzombek's solo work on The Voyager is my favorite - tho I think my favorite song is probably The Sorcerer.

Agreed on The Sorcerer; it's going to make it's way on to my metal playlists for sure. There is a ton of killer guitar work, it's hard to pick out a favorite. Thanks for the rec, it's a solid technical death metal album.

SOME-MIST

no prob - saw your necro post and got way too excited about another tech death fan :)

I wish I knew about The Radial Covenant while it was being crowdfunded cause I definitely would've contributed

Tarkus

Also, "old farts" better not be 30, because I just turned 30 the other day. :|
> 30 on a video game forum = old fart. Welcome to the club :-/

I love Necrophagist. If I have to give someone an example of tech death, I play Fermented Offal Discharge, which their best track IMO. Muhammed Suiçmez is in my top 5 favorite guitarists. That sweeping is so fluid. At one point he played a BC Rich Stealth like Chuck did, gotta like him just for that homage. Suiçmez is Necrophagist much like Trent Reznor is Nine Inch Nails. Keep your fingers crossed for a new album...doubtful though.

I like the Muezner stuff. It's refreshing to hear. Going to look for some Ron Jarzombek tracks tonight.

SOME-MIST

Ron Jarzombek guest work/solos? or main projects?

he does an insanely awesome solo on Odious Mortem - Cryptic Imposion on the track Collapse of Recreation

and if you haven't listened to it... his most recent project Blotted Science is by far my favorite Ron Jarzombek project. The first release was with Alex Webster of Cannibal Corpse and Charlie Zeleny of Behold... the Arctopus, and the 2nd release is the same with the exception of Hannes Grossmann instead of Charlie.

The cool concept of the 2nd cd is that Ron Jarzombek scored the entire album along with horror/bug-related movies on paper before playing the actual content on guitar i.e. Cretaceous Chasm.
such a perfect sync :)

SOME-MIST

awesome! all his main projects are worth checking out (I know that sounds lame, but it's true)

Watchtower (1980s thrash/progressive)
Spastic Ink (1990s progressive)
Gordian Knot (progressive jazz - another one of my personal favorites featuring Sean Malone, Paul Masvidal, Sean Reinert from Cynic, John Myung from Dream theater, Trey Gunn from King Crimson, etc..)
His solo projects - Solitarily Speaking of Theoretical Confinement and phhhp! (progressive)
Blotted Science (tech death/progressive)
Terrestrial Exiled (a one song project)

plus, how can you beat this album art?
20443.jpg

he's a metal scientist (or metal alchemist :p) ffs!

SOME-MIST

Moreso of a fan of Discordance Axis, but I love Jon's bullet hell shmup references such as Ketsui (incredible CAVE shooting game).

Man, tough call... so, I like them all equally, even Hayaino Daisuki. Oh, thanks for the song title reference. I knew it looked familiar.

Ron Jarzombek guest work/solos? or main projects?

Definitely Watchtower - Control & Resistance and Spastic Ink. Quirky motherfucker.

First post! Anyway, I have been listening to Gridlink's new one on serious repeat.

mbDkXTMxruR74c4nh2XqVSg.jpg

Anyone else a fan?

Haven't heard the new Gridlink yet, but I love all Discordance Axis and the first Gridlink album. Cant get into Hayaino Daisuki much.

Gridlink even made a cameo on the tv show Homeland: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csFSMw-_Owc

ShaneB

Will be 32 next month. An old fart to some, still a young buck to some. *shrug*

Listening to Metal since my early teens.

That is terrible news about Takafumi. There was an article on Gridlink in last month's Decibel, and Jon said he lost the use of his hand for a few weeks after recording the album; it seems related.

Top Bottom