• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

Gabyskra

Banned
It took me a while, and a period of owning the device itself, but I do like the looks and design of the GN a lot. The solid black, buttonless and curved face looks pretty in press shots but is gorgeous in action. I liked the consistent look of the Nexus S a lot, too.

Still, I can't help but backslide a bit to the original Nexus-ers... The Nexus One still might be my favorite smartphone design of all time, and I wish HTC would return to make a Nexus one day. (Hey, with five of them supposedly hitting this year, chances are good!)

In comparison, the Nexus one is too thick and the screen too small.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Obviously, some things would have to be adjusted if it were released today, but looking at a phone since then has not given me the same "wow, that's beautiful" reaction at first glance. It usually takes me a while.

I will say the One series design, while it does have hardware buttons, reassures me that HTC still has some great designers.

Futureman

Just picked up a Verizon G-Nex!!!!!

weeeeeeeee.

Gonna wait to see what happens with Verizon updating to Jellybean. Might just keep it on stock and not mess with custom ROMs if we get it fairly soon.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
The GN is beautiful to look at just because the front looks so simplistic. And the hidden colored LED is brilliant. My second favorite hardware design, after the iPhone 4. I can't get over the glass and metal.

I wish more apps would make use of the colors, though. I'm hesitant to trust Light Flow with accessibility settings, and don't really feel like having another app run all the time (does it affect battery noticeably?).

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I wish more apps would make use of the colors, though. I'm hesitant to trust Light Flow with accessibility settings, and don't really feel like having another app run all the time (does it affect battery noticeably?).
Not that I noticed.

Light flow is awesome and according to the battery stats it barely uses anything. Man up about the accessibility settings and install it. The dev has earned our trust and it works like a charm :)

Fox318

Exchanged in my Nexus because of a cracked screen.

What should I do with the new phone?

Should I root and unlock it now or wait till after IO.

zedge

Camera seems a bit better on 4.0.4, it actually has time to focus before taking a shot.. what a concept.

Launcher is a bit smoother now too.

Just got an email from the android team..welcome to your nexus heh. Guess they send this out to people with proper Google nexus device.

th3dude

Been a while since this was asked....so...

Best ROM currently?

I'm running AOKP 39 and wondering if I should go to 40 or if there is another ROM worth checking out?

Woot! Finally took the plunge and updated from yakjuxx to yakju. Fuck you Samsung, I will now get my updates from google thank you. Rocking 4.04. now.

Used this guide and ODIN.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1586807

Had to flash the full version though as the non wipe update version gave me issues with the OTA I received afterwards.

Cool, this setup actually seems legible to me thanks.

Is there any difference between IMM76D and IMM76I?

reKon

Banned
Finally took the leap to build 40 after staying on 35 for a long time. Everything is perfect now. I set long pressing the menu button to bring up the Google music widget. I also love how you could be playing a full screen game and pop this up to change your song.

Woot! Finally took the plunge and updated from yakjuxx to yakju. Fuck you Samsung, I will now get my updates from google thank you. Rocking 4.04. now.

Used this guide and ODIN.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1586807

Had to flash the full version though as the non wipe update version gave me issues with the OTA I received afterwards.

I tried but ran into a problem when I connect my phone in ODIN mode to my PC. It said failed to install drivers so its not recognizing my phone.

On a related note, how well does Google Wallet work? Does it work in NYC taxis?

Edit: A quick google search answered my second question.

kehs

Banned
I mostly just want to mess around with an Android phone and it never hurts to have a backup phone, especially one that's unlocked.

The GN is a great value, and if you want to mess around with android, definitely do it with a Nexus. If you don't mind an older phone you can probably find a Nexus S for about $200 on craiglists and you get just about everything from the GN except the bigger screen.

The GN is a great value, and if you want to mess around with android, definitely do it with a Nexus. If you don't mind an older phone you can probably find a Nexus S for about $200 on craiglists and you get just about everything from the GN except the bigger screen.

For the extra $200 or so I think I'd rather go with the Galaxy Nexus.

On a related note, how well does Google Wallet work? Does it work in NYC taxis?

Edit: A quick google search answered my second question.

G-nex is definetly the best unlocked phone for the price.

As for Google Wallet, you can only use it at places with the special pay pass station. Downside is you have to add funds yourself if you don't have Citi. Also most places don't have the pay pass stations so it's really not "woops I forgot my wallet, but who cares because I can use my phone!". Maybe in a few years it will be standard but for now it's just a cool extra thing to have.

G-nex is definetly the best unlocked phone for the price.

As for Google Wallet, you can only use it at places with the special pay pass station. Downside is you have to add funds yourself if you don't have Citi. Also most places don't have the pay pass stations. Maybe in a few years it will be standard but for now it's just a cool extra thing to have.

Does it not work in places that already have those devices that let me tap my credit card on them like McDonalds and I believe walgreens?

Nice, that means it should work at quite a few places here in NYC although as mentioned it's probably not ready to completely replace my wallet.

Bboy AJ

Nice, that means it should work at quite a few places here in NYC although as mentioned it's probably not ready to completely replace my wallet.
Works plenty of places in NYC.

gutshot

Has any one been able to get Google Wallet onto their Verizon Nexus? I'm trying to move the apk I got from XDA into my /system/app folder... but I don't see a /system folder. Is there something I'm missing?

kehs

Banned
Has any one been able to get Google Wallet onto their Verizon Nexus? I'm trying to move the apk I got from XDA into my /system/app folder... but I don't see a /system folder. Is there something I'm missing?

I'm assuming you're rooted.

Go up one or two levels further, you're probably still inside of mnt/sdcard/.

gutshot

I'm assuming you're rooted.

Go up one or two levels further, you're probably still inside of mnt/sdcard/.

Not rooted. According to the XDA thread, you don't need to be rooted to install this, which is why I was willing to give it a try as I don't necessarily want to root.

kehs

Banned
Without root you're not getting anything into the system folder. Can't you just open the .apk file, it should ask you if you want to install.

kehs

Banned
I can try. Which folder should I place it in to and how would I open the .apk file once it's on the phone?

Anyhwere on the internal storage should work, just navigate to it with any file browser on the phoen itself and tap it.

If you put it in the /download/ folder you can open it through the downloads app.

Make sure you turn on sideloading. system settings > security > Unknown Sources.

gutshot

Anyhwere on the internal storage should work, just navigate to it with any file browser on the phoen itself and tap it.

If you put it in the /download/ folder you can open it through the downloads app.

Make sure you turn on sideloading. system settings > security > Unknown Sources.

Couldn't get it to come up using the downloads app, but I downloaded Astro and was able to find it and install it. It looks like it is working, I got my free $10 from Google! Will try it out next time I'm at McDonald's or Wawa. Thanks for your help!

Im looking at selling my Verizon Galaxy Nexus. Im considering getting the SGIII.

What I've got...

1 Month old Galaxy Nexus
2 standard batteries and 1 extended(3 total batteries)
External battery charger
New screen protector

Gaf, whats a good price to sell this at?

I installed 76D and then got an ota update to 76I after.

Try installing the drivers manually. Think that thread had a link to them.

I eventually got odin to recognize my phone, I had to delete some old drivers and install some I found on the net. Now I went through the steps and it shows this on Odin:
<ID:0/003> Added!!
<ID:0/003> Odin v.3 engine (ID:3)..
<ID:0/003> File analysis..
<ID:0/003> SetupConnection..

Its been like that for 5 minutes, how long should this take?

Ed: I've tried three times, it seems to freeze at the first (bootloader) section :( balls. Its probably a drivers issue, I only deleted the driver in odin mode, not the others.

Im looking at selling my Verizon Galaxy Nexus. Im considering getting the SGIII.

What I've got...

1 Month old Galaxy Nexus
2 standard batteries and 1 extended(3 total batteries)
External battery charger
New screen protector

Gaf, whats a good price to sell this at?

Can easily get 350-400 for that. Hit up Swappa.com vs Ebay though.

zedge

I eventually got odin to recognize my phone, I had to delete some old drivers and install some I found on the net. Now I went through the steps and it shows this on Odin:
<ID:0/003> Added!!
<ID:0/003> Odin v.3 engine (ID:3)..
<ID:0/003> File analysis..
<ID:0/003> SetupConnection..

Its been like that for 5 minutes, how long should this take?

Ed: I've tried three times, it seems to freeze at the first (bootloader) section :( balls. Its probably a drivers issue, I only deleted the driver in odin mode, not the others.

Try here maybe.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=20058157&postcount=1

Top Bottom