• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DevilDog

It's literally the best Mass Effect thread I've ever seen on GAF.

It's made me all warm and fuzzy inside to be quite honest.....finally.

It felt good to see that RPG character screen with all these stats.

I don't even like RPG stat management in general. I'm a walking contradiction right now.

Tovarisc

49zYinm.png

https://twitter.com/tibermoon/status/833117518600531969

Ansel to rescue for those full no-HUD screenies.

With Andromeda getting closer and closer, I've been getting back into ME3MP and man did I forget how annoying phantoms are. I was trying to solo cerberus on gold and got sync killed by one of them on wave 10. Not only are phantoms really tough to hit, their hand lasers can bring down my shields in a single shot making them dangerous at any distance. I really hope that in Andromeda they make it so that you're not locked into sync-kills anymore and that they're clearly telegraphed because holy shit it's frustrating here.

DevilDog

With Andromeda getting closer and closer, I've been getting back into ME3MP and man did I forget how annoying phantoms are. I was trying to solo cerberus on gold and got sync killed by one of them on wave 10. Not only are phantoms really tough to hit, their hand lasers can bring down my shields in a single shot making them dangerous at any distance. I really hope that in Andromeda they make it so that you're not locked into sync-kills anymore and that they're clearly telegraphed because holy shit it's frustrating here.

Sync kills are in the SP.

prag16

Banned
Have we seen if the time dilation sniping is still in? Yesterday's video didn't seem to have it.

Also damn. Sara Ryder derangement syndrome is strong and if anything became even stronger with the 1 second clip in the latest video.

Tovarisc

Have we seen if the time dilation sniping is still in? Yesterday's video didn't seem to have it.

Also damn. Sara Ryder derangement syndrome is strong and if anything became even stronger with the 1 second clip in the latest video.

Kinda surprising all that menu action didn't counter that. Yeah that smile is still goofy as hell, but in that menu she looked actually good.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Knight-enchanter on Tumblr went and compiled recent info out of dev twitter feeds. I noticed this thanks to Reddit thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/masseffect/comments/5upwqv/compilation_of_recent_tweets_from_mea_designers/
  • “Narrative” is purely the lowest difficulty setting, not comparable to ME3′s action mode which removed dialogue choice in favor of pre-scripted cutscenes
  • PC gamers are probably able to adjust their FOV
  • Mechanically, power cells work like grenade ammo did in ME3
  • We’ll see a mix of old, new, and revised powers. Pull, for instance, incorporates elements of Lift
  • Generally speaking there are counterbalances built into the crafting system to prevent you making super OP weapons
  • There’s aim assist, and you can disable it if you wish, on all platforms
  • You can keep playing the game after finishing the main story - the majority of content including loyalty missions remains available
  • Digital copies of the game will definitely have pre-load. Exact date currently uncertain but it will be close to launch
  • We still need to strip away barriers and shields before the “fun” part of using biotics on enemies begins
  • SMGs are still in the game, filed under the “pistols” category along with hand cannon pistols for the sake of simplicity
  • If you want to you can keep leveling up til you max out every skill, but we’ll likely need to start NG+ at least once to pull that off (Ian later tweeted that it might be possible to do it in one run, but he doubts it, and added that you’ll likely need more than one run to pull it off ). You can do more than one NG+ with the same character
  • More info to come on modding and crafting
  • There’s definitely no first person view
  • Drack was described as “grizzled” and someone who loves to blow things up
  • Supposedly nobody knows how long krogan can live as they do not tend to die of old age
  • vfx and colors for abilities are set, we don’t select those
  • Dpad and left analogue stick both work when navigating through menus
  • Cora and Drack are a fun combination in combat, especially if you spec him for fire priming and her for charges that detonate combos
  • If I’m interpreting the tweets right, the meeting Drack scene was one of a cinematic designer’s favorite scenes to work on . Tom Taylorson commented that it was one of the easiest scenes to voiceact for (just ‘obvious’ how to perform due to the awesomeness of the writing)
  • There’s no crouch button, you automatically crouch when you take cover against something low
  • We can switch profiles in the field. They’ll be showing more about the Favorites feature in the next gameplay vid
  • The game is SLi friendly (edit: I think this means SLi compatible, it’s a specs thing, see here/here)
  • Jason Eldred (gameplay designer) is the person to thank for Ryder being able to hold and control Pulls. Apparently he’s done some really cool stuff with the powers
  • In multiplayer there are only drops, not a crafting system like in DA:I. You can apply mods to weapons, but it is not crafting exactly
  • When you start NG+, your level carries over, along with most of your non-narrative progression
  • Some weapons and armor are only craftable for narrative reasons, but most drop as loot
  • Squad commands will be covered in the next gameplay vid
  • Adjectives which most describe Cora in Andromeda, per her writer: “ Professional, supportive, fearless.”
  • Seems the game’s ESRB rating has been updated a bit. “Partial nudity” now reads just “nudity”
  • In multiplayer you can reach max level and then start again from level 1 if you want. Q. “But will this promotion give u any benefits (like ME3MP N7 rating or DAIMP stats; maybe achievements)?” -> A. “No, we'd call this "resetting." We don't do promotions, but we have another mechanic that serves that role”
  • You can’t really get stuck in cover as it is now not magnetic but all very fluid and smooth. To enter cover all you have to do is approach with your gun drawn - “Your body animation and an icon in the HUD help msg that you're in cover.”
  • Peebee’s writer (who wrote the Sith Warrior storyline in SW:TOR) says that there are some similarities between Vette (SW companion) and Peebee but that Peebee is a very different character
  • Peebee’s writer wrote another character in the game too
  • You can swap camera shoulder whenever you want for optimal visibility
  • Characters pop in and out of the Nomad as opposed to an exit/enter animation. There used to be such an animation in development but it was removed as they found it annoying
  • Using the Nomad with 4 or 6 wheel changes the way it feels and handles, especially on steep inclines
  • There’s an answer to why the N7 Piranha, a weapon that was designed for the Reaper War, appears in the game
  • Q. “Through crafting, can you use resources to upgrade your gun to higher levels? ie level up a Mattock I to a Mattock IV?” -> A. “ Yes and no. You don't "upgrade" a gun from III to IV, per se, but you can outright craft a IV.”
  • Ryder holds the foregrip of SMGs properly (in contrast to the original trilogy); the animation team did some extra magic for SMGs
  • Q. “So what are the chances Cerberus will be in the ME:A timeline?” -> A. “Low.”
  • Aaryn Flynn re-emphasized that there are relationships that do not culminate in sex
  • High impact sniper rifles are definitely in the game
  • Loot/crates in multiplayer is ME3-style. They say they’ve made improvements to the rng (for drop rates etc)
  • Keep an eye on IGN for upcoming Andromeda coverage

Awesome, thank you.

Nodnol

Watched the gameplay trailer after trying to resist.

Looks so fluid. And the skill tree...my word. The combinations...the possibilities. We're really going to be able to play this however we want. Definitely a welcome change.

Can't fricking wait.

Killzig

It seems that time dilation is out. I noticed adrenaline rush was gone too. I'm guessing they are following the same philosophy as Bungie does with Destiny in that they want the single player (pve) and multiplayer (crucible) to play identically as far as combat mechanics go.

Mindlog

I used to know all the tricks to manage their postures. Melee vs Cerberus was fun because everyone thought you were crazy. Smashing them with a Krogan Warlord or popping heads with a Batarian was very satisfying. The two tricky things to look out for were teammates that activated the first melee strike allowing Phantoms to immediately sync you and Phantoms could also melee strike mid-charge or cloak-charge (Shadow) and then they sync killed you as soon as you were in range.

The insta-kills did a great job raising the skill ceiling even though P2P lag introduced a measure of inconsistency.

If all else fails- Acolyte. Acolyte ruins Phantoms.

Reading the Wiki to see if it has the tips I can't quite remember. Can't see them, but so many other memories :]

Scorpion Geth Infiltrator was nuts.
Falcon can counter Phantoms and similarly another weapon most people forget about
ADAS
Javelin Infiltrator popping heads all day.

Anyone else remember the Alpha, Demo and early release period when an Asari with Stasis was basically required to deal with Phantoms? Good times.

Smash Vanguard...
Geth Juggernaut melee...
ME3 MP has such a wonderful variety of playstyles.

Sou Da

It seems that time dilation is out. I noticed adrenaline rush was gone too. I'm guessing they are following the same philosophy as Bungie does with Destiny in that they want the single player (pve) and multiplayer (crucible) to play identically as far as combat mechanics go.

I still personally think adrenaline rush is in as profile bonus.

prag16

Banned
That would be a bummer. Made the headshots that much more brutal and satisfying.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Turbocharge seems the closest combat skill related to adrenaline rush, though it doesn't appeal to dilate time, unless that's a late tree unlock.

1ddrf2.jpg

From the screens Tovarisc was kind enough to post for us, profiles just look like buffs to those skills, not new skills and abilities.

Profiles can definitely include passive ability buffs. Active soldiers get bonuses to chained kills, and engineers get a drone.

2fuosn.jpg
3dtox7.jpg

Killzig

Turbocharge seems the closest combat skill related to adrenaline rush, though it doesn't appeal to dilate time, unless that's a late tree unlock.

Profiles can definitely include passive ability buffs. Active soldiers get bonuses to chained kills, and engineers get a drone.

That's good news, thanks EatChildren.

EatChildren

Also, as noted in the other thread, biotic backlash can be timed melee counter.

untitled-1aukal.jpg

EDIT: Even though we cant see what the perk actually is, based on the profile description relative to the known soldier and engineer profiles, it sounds like active infiltrators will have enemies highlighted and tagged.

Fruitster

Sara's looking great, can't say I ever had any issues with how she looked mind. Its damn exciting to think this game is just over a month or so away now. :)

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Honestly, (at least to me), it's just the size of the jawbone in connection to the rest of the face. I know the actress is similar, but something about Sara's face makes it stick out more, probably related to the plastick-y/latex look of Frostbyte/bioware skin.

If you want to you can keep leveling up til you max out every skill, but we’ll likely need to start NG+ at least once to pull that off (Ian later tweeted that it might be possible to do it in one run, but he doubts it, and added that you’ll likely need more than one run to pull it off ). You can do more than one NG+ with the same character

A part of me hopes (albeit it being admittedly unlikely) to see the return of ME1 bonuses for achievements, and the like. I still think that was one of the cooler ways to get people to try alternate shepards.

They both look much better! I wasn't one of the people going nuts about it, but I did find Sara's face a bit weird at times.

I really hope that we are able to modify the default faces. Scott is almost perfect, though I'd make a few tweaks and change his hair color. I think Sara would look a lot more like her face model if she were wearing makeup.

Tovarisc

Ryder's character kit was updated with a newer image. Scott's as well. Still think she looks perfectly fine.

C4_-FTRUMAAzH7M

I think this picture is return on not-so-good model, but again most likely to do with lack of lightning.

I don't get it.

In first reveal she looked really good, then string of iffy showings, then Combat trailer where she again looks good in menus and now this pic where she looks iffy again. Those dead eyes and rubbery skin :/

AyzOn

Neo Member
I think my biggest issue with how she looked was just that it seemed like there was no specular light on her skin/eyes at all (Maybe the PostPro Fx made it look like it wasnt there? idk). Though as seen in the recent video and in both versions of the char kit, its there so Im all good.

Tovarisc

I can't decide if I want Origin Access so I can play ME3 on PC or not. I kinda want to, but same time I know that it won't have any of DLC that can be considered mandatory for experience.

Also would need to dig up save creator to get that importable state.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
I think she looks good in that new pic, still got some Gnome like qualities, but overall OK.

I'll be doing the character creator though, want to make a Ciri-esque Ryder.

SliChillax

I can't decide if I want Origin Access so I can play ME3 on PC or not. I kinda want to, but same time I know that it won't have any of DLC that can be considered mandatory for experience.

Also would need to dig up save creator to get that importable state.

Get Origin Access, it's worth it but don't play ME3 without the dlc. You get an early 10 hour trial for Andromeda and a 10% discount.

Tovarisc

Get Origin Access, it's worth it but don't play ME3 without the dlc. You get an early 10 hour trial for Andromeda and a 10% discount.

Yeah, I doubt I will touch ME3 with 10 feet pole because I'm not about to throw out ~50€ for single playthrough on PC. That is just absurd for 5 years old game. DLC adds way too much to the game and knowing it's out there just would undermine experience.

Sai

I'm trying to finish a second run through Inquisition before Andromeda drops.

If the multiplayer test comes too soon(and I get in, of course), it'll probably halt my progress indefinitely. :x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom