• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SFV - Abigail Reveal Trailer

CO_Andy

Oh trust me, I would trade abigail for maki in like... 2 seconds as far as new Final fight characters to SF ( barring alpha 3 max) goes.
Design wise Abigail's too close to Hugo. That's like if they chose Roxy instead of bringing back Poison.

My first choice would have been Belgar if they needed a new FF character.

In case anyone was wondering, he's actually based on a real-life wrestler: the Road Warrior Animal.

Road-Warrior-Animal.jpg

Also his mohawk looks like a maple leaf, which is appropriate considering he's SF's first Canadian rep.

Gren

Bleh, not sure what I was expecting given the source material they had to work with. His proportions are too exaggerated (even for SF), but I still prefer his simple design over some over-complicated mess (lol at Gigas).

Best thing about this reveal is that it lends credence to Menat being next; she'll be my fave new character aesthetically.

EDIT: As far as remaining FF villains, Damnd, Jay, El Gado are a bunch of memorable designs they've yet to bring on, despite them all being the weakest of jobbers.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
In case anyone was wondering, he's actually based on a real-life wrestler: the Road Warrior Animal.

Also his mohawk looks like a maple leaf, which is appropriate considering he's SF's first Canadian rep.

Nice Catch. I didn't even notice that. Here is the image if anyone want to check it out.

IGh9Ueb.png

Hyun Sai

Hmm... Is it me or the animation feels bad compared to the other SFV characters ? I mean if I remember correctly, even Hugo felt way smoother than that.

Village

Who asked for this lol

Maki coulda been cool.

People who made the game weren't thinking about what people were asking for, but what would be interesting for them to make and to play with. Sometimes that works, sometimes it backfires and no one likes it

You sure haven't kept up with the leaks.
His points don't even make sense. The reason Ed and Kolin were NPCs in the first place was to introduce them into the plot before making them playable.

Glgas is cool tho
He's quite honestly one of the worst designs in Tekken period. He's one of the clearest examples of everything wrong with TK character designs after T5 (both aesthetically and plotwise).

Almost as bad as Rufus, almost every new character in SF4&5 have been absolutely terrible
SFV's newcomers are pretty solid, wym?

Lulubop

His points don't even make sense. The reason Dc and Kolin were NPCs in the first place was to introduce them into the plot before making them playable.

He's quite honestly one of the worst designs in Tekken period. He's one of the clearest examples of everything wrong with TK character designs after T5 (both aesthetically and plotwise).

SFV's newcomers are pretty solid, wym?

your avatar cracks me up everytime

He's... okay, personally. Bottom 15 in the franchise visually, but his "lol abby smash" playstyle is interesting to me. I'll give him a shot before giving a final opinion.

your avatar cracks me up everytime
I just laughed out loud looking at it again now that you reminded me. I was just thinking of changing it, but you changed my mind.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag

I read he was based on Danish rocker King Diamond, who also released a 1987 album called "Abigail". Certainly fits with the theme of enemies in Final Fight having names connected with music.

NRS Animation...
Lol what? The animation is the best aspect to him. He's so full of life with every blow. I love both of his throws, and that shrug after slamming his foe down is so charming.

Is he bigger than Zangief?
He's the single biggest character in franchise history. I think the 4th biggest non-boss character Capcom's ever designed in a fighter (after the giants in TvC and Juggernaut).

I read he was based on Danish rocker King Diamond, who also released a 1987 album called "Abigail". Certainly fits with the theme of enemies in Final Fight having names connected with music.

I'm sure that's the basis for his name, but his facial tattoo, mohawk and physique are almost certainly an homage to Road Warrior Animal, especially since the latter was apparently very popular in Japan in the 80s.

tribal24

Banned
Lol what? The animation is the best aspect to him. He's so full of life with every blow. I love both of his throws, and that shrug after slamming his foe down is so charming.

He's the single biggest character in franchise history. I think the 4th biggest non-boss character Capcom's ever designed in a fighter (after the giants in TvC and Juggernaut).

agreed lol and ill go ahead and argue he has better animations then the entire injustice 2 cast. Come at me Gaf!

Moaradin

I understand someone not liking his design, but his animations are absolutely not shit. Worse than NRS animation? You gotta be kidding me...

Say what you want about the character himself, but you're straight up trolling if you think there's no quality and personality behind the animations here.

Teepo671

It's a combination of things.

He's grotesque. SF has had a lot of grotesque designs in the past but this one just seems lazy and grotesque, his personality appears to boil down to 'top heavy asshole bully,' which simply doesn't appeal on any level.

His moveset doesn't excite me. Command grab that tosses them in the air and just lets them land on the ground. Haggar punches copied and pasted without any real changes. Armor moves that we've seen on two characters already. His default costume is basically hugo's, replacing chains with tires. Maybe his alt costumes will look better, but there's no reason for his default to be that uninspired. When they gave us a greaser biker type in Birdie, they gave us a rotund idiot, but they incorporated food into his moveset and kept his classic moveset from the Alpha games.

Abigal just seems half baked, unfinished, deformed, not a part of something more interesting.

Yeah, maybe they should have switched his default costume for one of his alternates. I liked the trailer, though. His weird car intro plus his super make him look like a goofy character and I've always enjoyed the silly characters in Street Fighter. I'm not excited for him myself but I think he at least looks like a fun addition.

Ushay

Holy shit, awful design. Makes me a little glad I skipped this game altogether, how have the developers fallen so far? SF4 was incredible..

Also, isn't Abigail a female name??

joe2187

Banned
Nah, Ed's birthplace is listed as "Unknown/Shadaloo" and he was either made in a lab or kidnapped by Shadaloo at a very young age so it's not like he would even know for himself.

I believe he's just another Blonde Haired Blue Eyed White clone of Bison again like Cammy is Bisons clone....which just raises further questions.

Top Bottom