• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Carmack: Rage's mod tools coming "Real Soon Now. I hope. Sigh."

finley83

Banned
Rage is a great console game. The PC release, however, was pretty unforgivable...

...largely because they completely disabled the console in a patch. This from the studio that invented the concept of having a actually console in a PC game (Quake), single handedly created the single most modded game of all time (Doom), and was responsible for the first ever source code release from a major company. Worse than that, there's no way of undoing that patch, so we're stuck with a completely unmoddable, unconfigurable mess for the rest of time.

That is, unless the mod tools can magically fix everything, which I doubt :(

Adam J.

They should seriously just take all the Rage assets and make a $20-$30 Mutant Bash TV game that focuses on the stellar combat/weapons. Throw in some randomly generated combat scenarios, horde-like waves of baddies, and solid multiplayer and they'd have themselves a solid little FPS.

ZoddGutts

I'm not gonna say the Arma engine is amazing or anything, but I dare Id to try to do a seamless Chernarus. That was their main goal, as well as some other things, and for the stuff they focused on, Bohemia accomplished some great things.

Yeah. Arma 3 is also looking great. Bohemia knows the weaknesses that Arma 2 engine had, they're making sure that the Arma 3 engine won't have those.

DocSeuss

see, I'd be hard pressed to think of a game in the last 3 years that handled enemy encounters better than RAGE. I was constantly switching between weapons, wielding wingsticks like a mofo, flanking enemies, getting flanked in return... really having a blast. I didn't mind it having linear levels at all.

your opinions

why are they so good

you're among friends here, don't worry

I agree with everything you have said. Rage is just... it's brilliant shooting, really. Kinda crazy that another poster would think that corridor shooters have to be mazelike (FEAR and Half-Life, two of the best shooters ever, certainly weren't).

Rage's problems stem from compromises made for the consoles, particularly the PS3 (according to Carmack, trade-offs were made for both, but the PS3's were the least desirable), a bad driving/shooting ratio (needed about 80/20 shooting/driving, not 60/40 driving/shooting), a poorly-written story (the book is WORSE), and... people's expectations of what a final level should be.

I mean, come on, guys. Half-Life 2 gets credited as being one of the greatest games of all time, but its final level is worse than Rage's, its core shooting/enemy AI is worse, its vehicular pacing is worse (two extremely long driving segments)... honestly, even its plot beats are worse (find Eli, rescue Eli, rescue Eli again). The flow of combat in a Half-Life 2 encounter is nothing compared to Rage's, and Rage adds gadgets, a crafting system, and some awesome super-friendly turrets.

Rage is superb. Everyone should play it.

So, all bets on january 2013?

And how long does their Christmas break last...

id has kind of become a running joke for me. They promise thngs and never deliver basically (how about that doom4 quakecon 3 years in a row?)

I would expect these mod tools to be released come early spring

Izcarielo

Banned
What finally happened with all of this?
I just finished RAGE on Steam and i was wondering if there were some cool mods to install...

Durante

This thread being bumped makes it more understandable that JC left the company. (Yeah, I know, he's still supposed to be doing something there)

id, just rerelease a PC version of the game with the tools in there, a video/documentary on how to use them, maybe even a manual, all the game's DLC and create a member centre to share mods - charge $30. I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one who wants this.

commissar

id, just rerelease a PC version of the game with the tools in there, a video/documentary on how to use them, maybe even a manual, all the game's DLC and create a member centre to share mods - charge $30. I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one who wants this.
They have done this, it's on steam. The documentation is there. Steam community exists.

But unfortunately while I love the game, it wasn't that popular and making modern mods is hard so...

it I am slow, also it blows my mind I can play this at ~50fps on a mac mini

Grayman

What finally happened with all of this?
I just finished RAGE on Steam and i was wondering if there were some cool mods to install...

The only community working with it seemed to be on the official forums for the tools and most people seemed to be putting more work into learning how to do things than anything releasable.

I did see a video I can't find of someone running the well map with dynamic map lighting. that was sweet but I never found the mod.

No one seemed to do a make rage fun(er) mod that took out random spread on the first shot or added coops scoring to the main game.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Did they ever release that higher res megatexture pack?

Carmack ruled that out because most of the source textures were created at the quality you see in the game; the best we got was a sharpening filter, which arguably looks worse.

Edit: Beaten.

No. Apparently the source material wasn't actually of significantly higher quality.
Take that with as much salt as you need.

Given Carmack's desire for PC-inclusive cross-platform parity (an approach he has since lamented), which meant everything was beholden to the lowest denominator (in this case, the X360 and its DVD storage), I can believe it.

Top Bottom