• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you eat food from gas stations?

eXistor

Gas stations in the Netherlands certainly don't look like run-down horror-shows, they're usually pretty nice (the ones I've been to anyway); like small supermarkets.

I mean I don't go for a full meal over there, but the sandwiches are usually fine.

Nope. I bought a sandwich from a petrol station on the way up to York a few years ago, didn't open it up till we were back in the cat. God almighty, never smelt anything that putrid before. It was in date like. Made me feel sick.

rickyson1

depends how shady it looks I guess

like those pictures of that Bucees place sure

but most places? I wouldn't touch anything not prepackaged

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
Nope, never, I prefer to stop at a normal grocery store (with normal prices) or a supermarket if it's a longer trip and I've run out of food.

I treat my body like a landfill-themed amusement park, so hell yes I eat Gas Station food. I also grew up fairly poor so I'm pretty adapted to low quality/basic food.

TBiddy

Sausage rolls, bread rolls or stuff like that are something I occasionally buy, when I'm on the road. Or a burger, after a night of drinking.

nolips

Gas stations in the Netherlands certainly don't look like run-down horror-shows, they're usually pretty nice (the ones I've been to anyway); like small supermarkets.

I mean I don't go for a full meal over there, but the sandwiches are usually fine.

Same in Norway. You can't buy anything for your car anymore ( window wipers, oil, spark plugs etc.) but you sure can buy a variety of tasty food.

brothersfoodmart.JPG

Brother's Fried Chicken here in LA is legit.

holy shit...i thought it's los pollos hermanos for a sec.

molotrok

I only eat food from Wawa. No way would I eat anything from most gas station, specially not from a place like that.

This story reminds me of the time I went to use the bathroom at the Gas station near my work. This gas station sells fried chicken, and pizza BTW. So the bathroom is located next to the kitchen in a hall behind the main area of the store. I get to the bathroom but its in use, so while im waiting I nosily open the door with a " employees only" sign, immediately I smell rotting meat. I couldn't see anything because the light was off and the owner of the store had just stepped out of the bathroom and started berating me.Im basically run out of the store by the owner.

HariKari

Is this a gas station? In Norway this would be the size of a huge mall.

They are usually on highways between major cities. "Travel Stops" or whatever you want to call them, where they have very large stations, often fuel/facilities for commercial vehicles, fast food places built into them. It's a byproduct of the large distances you can cover in the U.S. travelling and also a bit of 'murica. The one quoted is in Texas... so yeah. Lots of space.

If you drove six hours in continental Europe, where would you end up? For me in the states, I'd hit the next nearest major city and that's it (PHX to LA). So these sorts of places are a nice break from driving.

The last thing I ate from a gas station, nacho chili and cheese funnily enough, I felt sick. Never again. Glad I didn't get fucking botulism.

Of course but in the UK they're not anywhere near whatever the hell that place in the OP was. It's pretty self explanatory not to eat at a place that looks as clean as the back of a radiator.

They are usually on highways between major cities. "Travel Stops" or whatever you want to call them, where they have very large stations, often fuel/facilities for commercial vehicles, fast food places built into them. It's a byproduct of the large distances you can cover in the U.S. travelling and also a bit of 'murica. The one quoted is in Texas... so yeah. Lots of space.

If you drove six hours in continental Europe, where would you end up? For me in the states, I'd hit the next nearest major city and that's it (PHX to LA). So these sorts of places are a nice break from driving.

Yeah, they sound like a nice break from driving! We have the same sort of concept here in Norway too near some of the highways, but usually just a small cafeteria type of thing connected to a gas station. Usually you pass through a lot of small town areas within only a couple of hours of driving, and you can just use the shops there. I guess it's just the scale of distances and the much larger population in America that makes pictures like this seem huge compared to where I'm from!

Camwi

I eat the roller hot dogs or whatever hot items they have under the warmers all the time at the Holiday gas stations around here. Cheap and yummy.

Up in Michigan I've never heard of any of these places people are citing (Sheetz, etc).

About those closest I've seen is Flying Js on the major freeways, but they often have a Wendy's attached which is better.

I've driven across the country too, but probably didn't stop at one of these crazy stations.

Generally around here there is a gas station, there's a McDonalds, which I am not a fan of at all. But it is better than gas station food, and probably safer.

Even my hometown (population 859) has a McD's attached to the gas station right off the freeway.

appaws

Banned
I eat those little taquito things that roll around on the little roller grills.

They are so fucking good, especially the breakfast ones.

Machine

There's a gas station a few blocks from work that I will buy chips and packaged sandwiches from. It's my only option if I forget to pack my lunch and want something for less than $5. Everything else near work is damn expensive.

YoungOne

Bucees, yes there grilled chicken burritos legit. And there is a local reataurant attached to a chevron that I went to on breaks, cooks your hamvurger right in front of you when you order.

Fbh

Yes.

I wouldn't in a place that looks like the one that appears in the article. But in one of those big gas stations with a big, modern, clean looking store/restaurant I absolutely do and I've never gotten sick.

Back in the say I did so frequently since it was the only place near my job that sold food. They had amazing fried chicken and since the guys there knew me and my co-workers they allways gave us like 3x more french fries than normal.

KHlover

Banned
Only from gas stations with integrated restaurants. You find those every 50 to 100 km on major highways in Germany. Stuff like gas station nachos or sushi though...hell naw.

QT has the best selection of fresh condiments and sausages/hot dogs. You can make a pretty perfect hot dog there with all the toppings you like. AND they are 2 for $2.49. Yes, I do eat there.

I eat Sheetz all day erry day

20100930-sheetz-500.jpg

I miss living a in a state with Sheetzes. In high school, I'd get a sub from there almost every day.

A couple of gas stations around here have touch-screen ordering, but their options aren't very appealing and I've literally never seen anyone buying food from them. So, no, I don't eat food from gas stations anymore.

phanphare

Banned
yeah but it's different in the south I think. some of the best fried chicken I've ever eaten has been from gas stations. you gotta know where to go though.

besada

Banned
We have a local Mom & Pop gas station that has a kitchen area where they make Biryani. It is literally the only Indian food in my city, so I occasionally get a chicken biryani there.

daveo42

Banned
Only pre-packaged foods or hot coffee. Anything else and you risk your life and your bowels. The only exception I have is a small BP about 1.5hrs outside of Chicago where they sell milkshakes and ice cream made fresh at a large dairy farm right behind it.

Top Bottom