• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quake Champions: $30 for paid version, Doom Slayer added, 6 new heroes by end of 2018

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Had a lot of fun with the beta, but I'm not so sure the content they're offering for $30 is worth it, versus the ftp version.

Mechazawa

Bethesda.net IS malware

q9YTzwO.png

This trend of games being announced as free-to-play and then releasing in 'early-access' for money with promises that the game will actually be free later is fucking bizarre, is nobody else noticing this? The publishers are now getting the beta testers to pay them while promising that the actual customers of the stable game will be getting it for free "later". How absurdly backwards is this?
If they stick to what they've said, I'm all for paying a reasonable one-time fee for the "complete experience" with receiving all current and future characters and content updates, instead of paying ala carte or needing to buy/farm some bullshit in-game currency whose only purpose is to obfuscate the true costs associated with said content.

I am leery of the loot box situation, though, and am hoping the business model is far more "Quake" than it is hero shooter, if you catch my meaning.

Patrick S.

Banned
I've been looking for a cool multiplayer FPS game for ages. Overwatch is super attractive, but I can't honestly say that I enjoy it very much. In CoD games or CSGO I get quicksniped and insulted by little kids, which makes me lose the will to play immediately.

I've been playing the Quake Champions beta, and between this and LawBreakers, I'm going to be a VERY happy gamer.

Man, after all these years I get to play new Doom, Quake, and CliffyB games. Fricking awesome! And in these games, I'm the one who knocks!

renzolama

If they stick to what they've said, I'm all for paying a reasonable one-time fee for the "complete experience" with receiving all current and future characters and content updates, instead of paying ala carte or needing to buy/farm some bullshit in-game currency whose only purpose is to obfuscate the true costs associated with said content.

I am leery of the loot box situation, though, and am hoping the business model is far more "Quake" than it is hero shooter, if you catch my meaning.

I don't have a problem paying for the game, I'm just pointing out that the fact that the ONLY way to play it in early access is to pay for it (yes, I know you can use the bethesda beta launcher if you had access) while saying that it will be free at release later is bizarre.

And it's a growing trend for a long time now, it's not just Quake. It's just another new dimension of how fucked the early-access / free-to-play world is becoming.

I don't have a problem paying for the game, I'm just pointing out that the fact that the ONLY way to play it in early access is to pay for it (yes, I know you can use the bethesda beta launcher if you had access) while saying that it will be free at release later is bizarre.

And it's a growing trend for a long time now, it's not just Quake. It's just another new dimension of how fucked the early-access / free-to-play world is becoming.
That's understandable. I'm not a fan of these practices myself, though I do understand why they would feel the need to offer a f2p option, seeing as it's probably the best way for their user population to stay competitive with so many other options available these days.

iddqd

I've been playing since it went into beta and it grew on me.
I still go between Quake Live and this so i've not made the full switch yet... but this coming to steam will make a big difference.

Totally fine with paying 30bucks as well and Doom Marine's double jump will be great for someone who sucks at circle strafing to get to places.

This could grow into something if the intro is done right and if the tutorial works.

And if they add Clanarena.

This trend of games being announced as free-to-play and then releasing in 'early-access' for money with promises that the game will actually be free later is fucking bizarre, is nobody else noticing this? The publishers are now getting the beta testers to pay them while promising that the actual customers of the stable game will be getting it for free "later". How absurdly backwards is this?

It might seem a little silly at first glance, but I feel it actually makes a fair bit of sense. Somebody who is willing to spend money on your game early on is inherently going to be more forgiving of the usual early development bugs and issues. The purchase itself can help guarantee that -- they've already invested money, so they'll be more willing to wait any problems out. While with any potential buyers (the F2P folks) you want things to be nice and solid, give them a great first impression.

In the case of Quake Champions (which is incidentally a fun game) they might also be worried about maxing out whatever servers they have available. Avoiding the unpredictable hordes of F2Pers guarantees paying customers will be able to get a server spot.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
It's weird how they advertise 120hz as a feature when 144hz monitors are so common now.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Needs more waifus tbh lad tbh.

But hopefully this boosts the player count.

When are they going to add my boy Orbb?

They would also add Crash to have more female characters.

It was actually 4 female characters to 5 male characters prior to adding BJ and Doom Slayer, which I assume they hurried along to get early access sales from cross-over promotions.

I wouldn't be surprised if the next two characters were female.

Synth

Orbb is great, he's a giant eyeball with legs.

Better than green Keel anyway.

Being better than Keel isn't an accomplishment. Nobody actually plays as Keel, he's just what you want to shoot at.

Orbb is the Eddy Gordo of Quake characters. Green Keel probably came to be as a response to people picking Orbb.

Adnor

Banned
Being better than Keel isn't an accomplishment. Nobody actually plays as Keel, he's just what you want to shoot at.

Orbb is the Eddy Gordo of Quake characters. Green Keel probably came to be as a response to people picking Orbb.

I know, I know, I never picked Orbb, I was more of a Doom guy ;)

boinx

Hmmm, to play this or lawbreakers?

Lawbreakers is more contemporary in the sense that there are no weapon pick ups or power ups. It's more a class based shooter than QC which more or less sticks to its roots. While I definitely prefer QC, Lawbreakers isn't a bad choice at all and along with the unfortunately underappreciated Drawn To Death, they are the most interesting shooters around right now for me at least.

Keinning

goddammit bethesda you might have changed Fallout lore to your liking, but you're never changing doomguy's name to DOOM slayer

I'm assuming they're having some sort of issue getting up and running because they tweeted this about 3 hours ago: "The maintenance for Early Access is ongoing but we'll provide an update and ETA shortly. Stay tuned, Champions! #Quake" and nothing since then. So that might be why it is not fully up on Steam yet.

Top Bottom