• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS HOMEBREW Discussion Thread [exploits/carts/applications/games]

furious

Banned
Please don't speak about topics you know nothing about. Nintendo can easily transfer your licenses to a new 3DS if your current one breaks, and there have been many cases of people doing it hassle-free (1 phone call). Also, you can upgrade to a New 3DS with the built-in system transfer tool that Nintendo put on the system. You lose nothing.

1 phone call is a hassle.

FatalT

Banned
Do you have a source for this? Because I've read the exact opposite

[23:10:25] <@bunnei> smea, once hb is installed, do we need to use this game every time we want to launch?
[23:10:38] <smea> yes
[23:10:44] <smea> game essentially becomes a homebrew launcher
[23:10:53] <smea> exploit is installed to savegame
[23:11:14] <archshift> oh, that's unfortunate
[23:11:22] <archshift> but I guess it makes sense

I really don't know what to say to you if you can't make a phone call to Nintendo to get your digital games back. Argument over with that response.

LordAlu

Man, it was £7.99 on GAME's website, put it in my basket, went to checkout and then payment and it brought me to a page saying I had nothing in my basket. Went back to the listing and they'd sold out.

Damn.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I really don't know what to say to you if you can't make a phone call to Nintendo to get your digital games back. Argument over with that response.

Uh huh. I live in Indonesia, where Nintendo doesn't have an office or a representative. So who should I call if I lost my 3DS? Obama?

Unlike PSN with its account system, where I bought lots of digital games since even if I lose my Vita or PS3 or whatever I can easily redownload them again, Nintendo's stupid online system is one of the reasons that in all my years owning 3DS, I only bought 4 digital games from them.

On-topic: it's very naive to say that people will respect the NO PIRACY rule when exploits such as this is released. Unfortunate. Although I don't really fault them since Nintendo's region locking can go to hell.

Crayolan

So I'll need the game to get the Homebrew channel and need the homebrew channel to access the eventual region unlock, right? I've already reserved a copy at my home gamestop to be safe. It's quite likely I'll be going to Japan for an extended period of time next year so a region unlock would be amazingly helpful.

nibblemonkey

Neo Member
Man, it was £7.99 on GAME's website, put it in my basket, went to checkout and then payment and it brought me to a page saying I had nothing in my basket. Went back to the listing and they'd sold out.

Damn.

I found a copy elsewhere for £7.50, not that hard to find around for now

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
you realize what state you live in doesnt matter right you just call nintendo's customer service number...

I live in a different country where Nintendo doesn't have a customer service number.

Should they ask for a police report, should I book a plane from here to the US to deliver to them in person? Fact is, where I live, if you lost your 3DS, the games that are there are lost forever.

I live in a different country where Nintendo doesn't have a customer service number.

Should they ask for a police report, should I book a plane from here to the US to deliver to them in person? Fact is, where I live, if you lost your 3DS, the games that are there are lost forever.

miss read your postthats why i edited mine sorry about that . That sucks though that there isnt a customer service number for you to call.

Indonesia is a country...

miss read it as Indiana thats what ya get for not paying attention hence the very quick edit lol

baphomet

Its the same in the US as far as losing your console goes. Thank god for flash carts allowing me to get my legally purchased content back.

That's cute but I already addressed that only 18 posts before you wrote that.

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=139352263

Please don't speak about topics you know nothing about. Nintendo can easily transfer your licenses to a new 3DS if your current one breaks, and there have been many cases of people doing it hassle-free (1 phone call). Also, you can upgrade to a New 3DS with the built-in system transfer tool that Nintendo put on the system. You lose nothing.

Nice try, but there are countries without Nintendo Call Support, like the one I am in.

M3d10n

Uh huh. I live in Indonesia, where Nintendo doesn't have an office or a representative. So who should I call if I lost my 3DS? Obama?

Unlike PSN with its account system, where I bought lots of digital games since even if I lose my Vita or PS3 or whatever I can easily redownload them again, Nintendo's stupid online system is one of the reasons that in all my years owning 3DS, I only bought 4 digital games from them.

On-topic: it's very naive to say that people will respect the NO PIRACY rule when exploits such as this is released. Unfortunate. Although I don't really fault them since Nintendo's region locking can go to hell.

Is it an US 3DS? Just call NOA support. International call too expensive? Use Skype, Viber or some other internet phone calling service which allows you to call anywhere in the world for pennies a minute. Yes, it's still a hassle, but it's a one-time hassle compared to lugging around dozens of carts that are definitely certain to be lost forever alongside my 3DS gets lost/stolen while on its carrying case. A Skype call is also much cheaper than paying almost double the price for physical 3DS games in my country.

Also, the "NO PIRACY" is not a "rule". It's almost impossible due to the way this exploit works. Unlike the Wii and the DS, the 3DS apparently implements access rights, so code executed by a game doesn't have full access to the whole system and can do stuff like modifying the firmware or booting other games.

Nice try, but there are countries without Nintendo Call Support, like the one I am in.
Nice try, but you can just call whatever country your console came from. I don't have Nintendo call support on my country either and i had no problem getting them to remove the parental lock from my system when my stupid cousin created a password when I wasn't looking.

KemoSabe

Lol, dat scalpers...
A few weeks ago cubic ninja was 6€ on amazon now its at 19€...
Oh well, bought it anyways.
I need dat region free
Cant wait to play new taiko no tatsujin games...

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Amazon.it is now sold out of their 15€ shipped option, they still had 10+ copies less than 1 hour ago.
Now the cheapest I see goes for 25€ shipped. Damn.

I wonder how this will end up

Will Cubic Ninja remain at a moderate-high price since you need the game every time? Or will the hype die down and will the game go back down to $3 again lol

Majukun

Wouldn't this be patched on the first occasion by ninty?
Also,i would not worry about the game being sold out...all those buyers will probably use it one time and then put it used on the used market

Nice try, but you can just call whatever country your console came from. I don't have Nintendo call support on my country either and i had no problem getting them to remove the parental lock from my system when my stupid cousin created a password when I wasn't looking.

I had no trouble too getting a small problem that I had, like yours, done by email. A stolen console? That's a different story.

I can already say I paid too much for that game, but I really like homebrew. Back in the day I ported the Flashback and Another World interpreters (raw and REminescience) to my ipod. Recently I corrected a bug that prevented the DS port of scummVM to run correctly on the 3ds.
Everyone screaming piracy needs to understand the drive behind all this. Sure, some kid will end up pirating all the games, but that's never the point of taking control of a piece of electronics. I really hope smealum put some antipiracy measures in there just in case someone tries to turn this thing into something different.

Tenck

And kiss all your games goodbye if your 3ds ever breaks, or if you decide to upgrade to N3DS.

AntiIntelligence more like it. If you honestly believe what you typed out you're obviously a troll.

I moved everything to my Japanese New 3DS just fine.

Ogawa-san

Is it an US 3DS? Just call NOA support.
I don't live in US, I have an US 3DS and, thanks to our local eShop being utterly worthless, a Canadian eShop account (the US one doesn't accept most foreign credit cards). What do you think it'll happen if I call them and ask for assistance recovering content from that account with a false address?

It's not that MS and Sony don't care about this kind of thing, they'd probably close my account in that case too. But I'll never have to call them for something as simple as being able to download stuff I paid for on another console.

It's 2014 and Nintendo is still unable to provide me a (false) sense of digital ownership. It's why I have 70 digital games on my PS3's HDD and still can't make a $15 purchase on eShop without hesitating and assuming I'll lose it if anything happens.

CDX

Wouldn't this be patched on the first occasion by ninty?
Also,i would not worry about the game being sold out...all those buyers will probably use it one time and then put it used on the used market

You need the game to launch the homebrew channel everytime, unfortunately.

yep, with this exploit the game itself essentially becomes the homebrew launcher

so you need the game every time you want to launch homebrew.

AntiIntelligence more like it. If you honestly believe what you typed out you're obviously a troll.

I moved everything to my Japanese New 3DS just fine.

I suggest you don't talk about other people's intelligence or accuse them of being trolls when you clearly didn't read the discussion about the topic in the last few posts.

I don't live in US, I have an US 3DS and, thanks to our local eShop being utterly worthless, a Canadian eShop account (the US one doesn't accept most foreign credit cards). What do you think it'll happen if I call them and ask for assistance recovering content from that account with a false address?

It's not that MS and Sony don't care about this kind of thing, they'd probably close my account in that case too. But I'll never have to call them for something as simple as being able to download stuff I paid for on another console.

It's 2014 and Nintendo is still unable to provide me a (false) sense of digital ownership. It's why I have 70 digital games on my PS3's HDD and still can't make a $15 purchase on eShop without hesitating and assuming I'll lose it if anything happens.

It doesn't matter, you don't need a real address to do that. You only need your Nintendo ID and birthday and old system ID (write it down people! Or keep your box) and password. I have done it(without system ID even, but takes longer), so I am 100% positive. And Nintendo CS is one of best I've experienced. I still prefer a Ms/Sony's system but Nintendo is improving.

M3d10n

I had no trouble too getting a small problem that I had, like yours, done by email. A stolen console? That's a different story.

I had to call them. They took my system serial number. They don't care where you live.

Your account doesn't have a false address, there's zero personal information tied to your Nintendo account. Also, this is Neogaf, probably the biggest gaming community online. How many threads did we have about people losing all their 3DS games? Apparently you have a higher chance of dying in a plane crash. I weighted the risks and between losing my $70 3DS carts forever and having to call Nintendo over Skype to get my $30~$40 games back, I chose the latter. You're free to chose otherwise.

SegaShack

I'm probably crazy but I was gonna pass on LBP3 but just got it so I could get my free shipping on this, also a GCU member and the Day One Edition was still in stock.

Top Bottom