• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider OT | Feat. 20% more tombs and 75% more chastising OP's title

Squire

Banned
That thread title is fucking trolling and probably gonna ruin a great OT. But i will admit i laughed, cause its true.

Also,WTF, where did all these characters come from!? Literally none of them besides Jonah were even mentioned a single time in the promotional materials!

The preview coverage this past week made it clear they really wanna keep the story under wraps.

Hedge

I don't understand why people have so much against tomb exploration. Isn't that what the game is about? D:

Regardless, I hope it gets good reviews. Loved watching my bf play the other game!

Lulubop

The OT title is a joke folks cmon.

You guys are way to easy offended.

Oh please, like we haven't heard enough regarding this and it just fuels console war nonsense.

The point of the ot is for people interested in the game to discuss it, not a meme wankfest.

maximrace

I don't really think the title is good for an OT. OT's should discuss the game, not the stuff around it.

Anyway game is great. If you liked the reboot, buy this for sure

As a long Tomb Raider fan... Hated the reboot. Too much copycat of Uncharted without what makes Uncharted great.
BUT i hope it sells well enough for a sequel.
Reviews are great so far.

RedRum

Banned
I don't understand why people have so much against tomb exploration. Isn't that what the game is about? D:

Regardless, I hope it gets good reviews. Loved watching my bf play the other game!

Where did you see people against tomb exploration? The majority of TR threads I've been too, people were saying there was way too much of it. Did not mind the first reboot in any way and I'm pretty sure I won't mind this one either!

Basketball

I don't really think the title is good for an OT. OT's should discuss the game, not the stuff around it.

Anyway game if great. If you liked the reboot, buy this for sure

For Sure

Liked 2013 = Get this game

I liked the last game but had problems with the lack of replayability and extra stuff in the game along with the lack of real tombs and platforming from the classic titles

but I understand and hope for the best in the franchise ... the extra challenge modes sound pretty cool.

bigmac996

Almost done the game and can confirm, it's incredible. A huge step up from the first. There are still things like forced walking sequences and some somewhat uninteresting skills you can unlock, but overall the game feels great and looks great. Really very polished. Haven't seen as many of those brutal Lara deaths as in the first game too.

Only thing is there's a treasure box later in the game that bugged out for me and is now floating in the sky so I can't access it. Luckily I'm not going for a 100% completion or I might be a bit miffed.

If anyone has any questions, let me know!

Anyway game is great. If you liked the reboot, buy this for sure

Jokes in the OT title about a game's circumstances don't dictate the thread. Assuming the title wasn't changed it would've been forgotten by noon today at the very latest and the discussion about the game would go on.

On the other hand, the new title will be understood by nearly no one since the original was only given like 10 minutes to breath.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
They were on the game's official Instagram.

EDIT: https://instagram.com/tombraider_bios/

I don't even know what instagram is fellow, but thanks for clarifying.

I really hope there's a lot of combat in this game.

I actually found 2013 did that better than any of the Uncharted games did combat, complete with upgrading the weapons and shooting shrapnel grenades out of light machine guns just by crafting.

Without the original burn in the Thread title I'd rather they change it entirely. Now, it's just boring and most people won't know the previous title it's referencing anyway.

Harmen

Please be good and do well enough in sales. Inbetween all those massive AAA open world games, I could use more AAA games with the premise of TR and the likes.

Looking forward to the reactions of One/360 owners!

RedRum

Banned
Almost done the game and can confirm, it's incredible. A huge step up from the first. There are still things like forced walking sequences and some somewhat uninteresting skills you can unlock, but overall the game feels great and looks great. Really very polished. Haven't seen as many of those brutal Lara deaths as in the first game too.

Only thing is there's a treasure box later in the game that bugged out for me and is now floating in the sky so I can't access it. Luckily I'm not going for a 100% completion or I might be a bit miffed.

Thanks for that. It's good to get that kind of reassurance!

This sounds great . Thanks for the impressions. My only question is do we get less of wounded Lara moaning and holding her gut ? That was my only major problem with the reboot , though I understand why it was needed there .

bigmac996

This sounds great . Thanks for the impressions. My only question is do we get less of wounded Lara moaning and holding her gut ? That was my only major problem with the reboot , though I understand why it was needed there .

DEFINITELY less wounded and limping Lara. She does get tossed around a bit, but the effects don't always show on her. Really seems like they listened to a lot of feedback. Although she really does feel like a supersoldier here haha.

How is the combat and how much of it is there? Is it enough for those of us who liked the 2013 combat to be satisfied?

The combat plays pretty much like the first game. So far, there's been a decent amount. There are lulls in the game where it allows you to explore as much as you want before heading to the next objective, so if you're not totally following the critical path then combat encounters would feel quite spaced out. You do fight animals in this, but those fights are way less interesting than the human opponents. There are different opponent types thrown in to mix it up a bit, and you can still go stealthy or guns blazing. Not a huge variety of weapons, especially in the beginning, but they all feel good.

Tizoc

Far as I can recall the first game had less of that and more of the shooty bang and arrow headshots :X

Squire

Banned

I actually found 2013 did that better than any of the Uncharted games did combat, complete with upgrading the weapons and shooting shrapnel grenades out of light machine guns just by crafting.

Same. Thought the encounter design in that game was great.

Harlequin

Yea, hopefully they give OP the chance to come up with a new one.

I'd be grateful for any suggestions. The only alternative I could think of was: The Legend of the Rise of the Dawn of the Planet of the Dark Knight's Revenge Begins

To poke fun at the game's awkward title but that seemed a little weak :p.

I'd be grateful for any suggestions. The only alternative I could think of was: The Legend of the Rise of the Dawn of the Planet of the Dark Knight's Revenge Begins

To poke fun at the game's awkward title but that seemed a little weak :p.

We few, we happy few! (who get to play it early) :p

dex3108

Same. Thought the encounter design in that game was great.

What's wrong with you guys/girls? :(

Top Bottom