• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Geometry Wars 3: Dimensions |OT| After 6 years of Pacifism, the King returns.

Oreoleo

This is definitely scratching the old GeoWars itch for me. PC port seems really solid. My jaw sorta dropped when I saw there was a PvP mode.

Happy to see basically the entirety of GeoWars2 included as well, since that sadly never came PC-side.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
This is definitely scratching the old GeoWars itch for me. PC port seems really solid. My jaw sorta dropped when I saw there was a PvP mode.

Happy to see basically the entirety of GeoWars2 included as well, since that sadly never came PC-side.

I'm just glad it's a decent port... i still think the RE port was awful

So you feel like it retains past games perfectly well?

I think I may skip waiting for any other reviews, as almost all the criticism of PAX seems to be nowhere to be seen. I wish I could remember where I read it, but people seemed to be calling this a knock off, which had me really concerned about the gameplay quality.

I had nothing to play all year on my PS4, and now I'm suddenly having to balance Rayman, Geo, and Dragon Age

Zombine

Banned
Is there any real difference between the PS4 or Xbox One versions? I'm tempted to get it Xbox just to keep the achievement list on the same platform, but I play my PS4 way more.

AwShucks

I was actually curious to see the complaints that people had from PAX. I don't see any. I was guessing many from PAX that didn't like it probably weren't good in the others in the past or were people who seem to either never played the series/never got into it.

It literally plays the exact same as past Geo Wars games and it looks better. Adventure mode is a blast as well. Those that were whining about Adventure mode seriously need to shut it because it's optional since classic mode has every mode but sequence (which played like a single level anyway). This isn't the first time the series has had an adventure mode (Galaxies) and it's just what 3 needed. People were complaining just to hear themselves because let's be honest, if Geo Wars 3 was basically Geo Wars 2.5, they would whine about no new content.

I for one do not think it looks better than GW2. To each their own. Also, you say people whining about Adventure mode need to shut it because it's optional. You're right...but that just says "if you don't want to play adventure mode then there is no point in buying this" because I own GW2 already, I play all SIX modes and why would I want to pay $15 to start with a fresh leaderboard? And as many have mentioned in other GW threads, not everyone liked Galaxies. I played it once, never touched it again.

I read the Polygon review. They gave it an 8 but the review felt more like a 6 or 7 to me. The drones idea sounds bad for a GW game especially. Bosses in a GW game also seem out of place. I dunno. I'm glad people like it, but I still don't see myself picking it up anytime soon.

DopeyFish

It both looks better and it doesn't. Sometimes it feels like it's far too hard to understand the collision box of the enemies

Here are the impressions that had me go from super excited to very cautious:

The worst thing I found in the PAX one was that there was a hitch in the controls when going around a part of the peanut.

Played a bit of this at PAX and didn't love it. 3D environment seemed to work against the frantic pace of Geometry Wars.

I think aesthetically it looks worse than 2. Colors don't pop anymore.

Yeah, it looks less neon-y and more generic.

I don't know what I just saw but it's definitely not Geometry Wars.

Played it at Indiecade with several friends and we all walked away severely disappointed. I'm huge fan of the series and it deflated all my hype.

The other thread had somebody with impressions and basically said it felt like a knockoff. I basically wrote it off myself when the 3D and adventure style levels were announced and especially when it became known that Cakebread wasn't involved. Looks like too much of a Galaxies sequel, and I only played through that once and never went back to it. Drones seem like a super odd thing for GW. I don't like the way the playing field looks in the classic modes. Plus no Audioantics music.

Personally, I don't care much about if the 3D worlds are good or not, I will buy this if the classic modes are ported properly. Seems most criticisms were a direct response to the 3D worlds, which understandably are a radical departure from the classic game. But a few complaints about visuals seem to be the only remaining complaint that would affect classic mode

I dont mind the backgrounds/tilts in classic as they seem minimally distracting. I did notice that hit detection seemed off in videos I watched, but that doesn't seem to be echoed by people who have played.

I dont know if the PAX build was different or not, but it's good to see most people in this thread have solid impressions, or at least seem to just enjoy playing classic Geo Wars again, on a modern system.

Viruz

Read the OP and the last page.
Is this version include the xbox360 version? That's all I want to play on PS4.

DopeyFish

Well... No thanks.

but retro evolved 2 is better D:

the evolved mode is the same concept as original but with more enemy types like the rockets

oh and multiplier is bound by the geoms you collect vs enemies you kill... and the multiplier isn't lost on death... and you don't get bombs/lives as easily...

and you don't get gun powerups... and the basic weapon isn't useless

Viruz

but retro evolved 2 is better D:

the evolved mode is the same concept as original but with more enemy types like the rockets

I think that the best "new" Geometry Wars is the first 360 one. Simple and fun. But that's just me, maybe there's some nostagia here.

DopeyFish

I think that the best "new" Geometry Wars is the first 360 one. Simple and fun. But that's just me, maybe there's some nostagia here.

i just can't go back to retro evolved ever since i played the second

way better in every way and far more polished... for example the awful enemy spawns in the first game... snakes spawning on top of you... thing of the past

DopeyFish

Anyone know why my monitor is 'out of range' for this at 1080p res?

it's not displaying at the right res or something... if you can set at windowed mode (no border)... do it.

for some dumb reason the game sets itself at 1920x1080 @ 24 Hz on fullscreen

Viruz

i just can't go back to retro evolved ever since i played the second

way better in every way and far more polished... for example the awful enemy spawns in the first game... snakes spawning on top of you... thing of the past
Maybe why I like it more. "thing of the past".

it's not displaying at the right res or something... if you can set at windowed mode (no border)... do it.

for some dumb reason the game sets itself at 1920x1080 @ 24 Hz on fullscreen

Would using a custom resolution (ie. 1920x1076) in graphics ccontrol panel work as a temp-fix? Saw it mentioned on steam forums.

Oreoleo

So you feel like it retains past games perfectly well?

I think I may skip waiting for any other reviews, as almost all the criticism of PAX seems to be nowhere to be seen. I wish I could remember where I read it, but people seemed to be calling this a knock off, which had me really concerned about the gameplay quality.

I had nothing to play all year on my PS4, and now I'm suddenly having to balance Rayman, Geo, and Dragon Age

The GeoWars2 modes are pretty well represented. Admittedly I haven't played GeoWars2 in a few years, but I put my time into the game enough to get 200/200 and there aren't any glaring flaws that I can see.

I can sort of see the PAX complaints in regards to the new Adventure mode, but only if you've only played the numbered entries. Adventure borrows a lot of influence from GeoWars: Galaxies on Wii which I am familiar with so there wasn't anything particularly foreign to me going into it. It's about as much of a leap forward from GeoWars2 as some of the new modes in 2 were from Retro Evolved; you're either open to the evolution of the gameplay or you aren't. It comes down to personal preference rather than the actual implementation of the mechanics. But if your only concern is how the GeoWars2 modes hold up you have nothing to worry about.

I can sort of understand the negative impressions people got from Adventure mode. If you just want the old art style or Evolved or Pacifism, and were not shown that... you'd be disappointed. But with those classic modes in this game, I would think that would remove those fears/concerns.

Can I assume there's going to be DLC for this? I'm pretty sure I'm down for more adventure mode stages and would DEFINITELY spring for the original music or an original art style makeover.

With that out of the way, this game is GREAT. I'm having to force myself away from it to do life things.... It's every bit as addictve and fun as the other 2 games.

So I got it, and man, as a heavy Super Stardust player, this game is hard lol

I immediately find that I can't "Squeeze" through two enemies like I did in Stardust.

Duallusion

Deadzone (DS4) is killing me in Pacifism mode - couldn't manage more then 12mil in about an hour. Or I just suck but, nah, that can't be:)

Bennicus

It's really good, I didn't realise how much I was missing neon worms! The quick-restart is a great feature. Adventure has a nice variety of game modes and hectic bosses. Almost all the old game modes are there in Arcade mode, and a couple of interesting little Bonus modes too. I haven't tried online yet. (PC version btw, seems like a good port, I'm playing 1920x1200 @ 60fps on a GTX 760 & using a 360 controller.)

hydruxo

Damn I loved Retro Evolved on 360. Mainly because of Pacifism mode. Too many games to play right now but I'll pick this up at some point.

DopeyFish

Just started playing it,game is great but i'm terrible at it,i can't 3 star any level.

tips:

-try to kill enemies close to you so you can collect their geoms... each geom you collect adds to your multiplier which in effect adds to your score...

-waves of enemies spawn in if you've killed the majority of the board

-when you die, enemies will spawn in less numbers, leading to less score (this applies to classic, not sure if it applies to adventure mode as well)

-gates and gravity wells are ESSENTIAL to victory. They give a separate bonus multiplier to enemies killed by the explosion of wells and gates as well as enemies killed by bullets bouncing off of gates themselves.

AwShucks

I can sort of see the PAX complaints in regards to the new Adventure mode, but only if you've only played the numbered entries. Adventure borrows a lot of influence from GeoWars: Galaxies on Wii which I am familiar with so there wasn't anything particularly foreign to me going into it. It's about as much of a leap forward from GeoWars2 as some of the new modes in 2 were from Retro Evolved; you're either open to the evolution of the gameplay or you aren't. It comes down to personal preference rather than the actual implementation of the mechanics. But if your only concern is how the GeoWars2 modes hold up you have nothing to worry about.

I can sort of understand the negative impressions people got from Adventure mode. If you just want the old art style or Evolved or Pacifism, and were not shown that... you'd be disappointed. But with those classic modes in this game, I would think that would remove those fears/concerns.

You guys both get it about Adventure mode. I've played Galaxies. I've beaten it. I never played it again. On the other hand I play the hell out of GW2 even to this day. So Adventure mode is not a selling point to me.

On the other hand you both mention the classic modes and how there shouldn't be any concerns. I can see where if you are a PC person or have ditched your 360 how that may be the case. But from my perspective I don't care about Adventure mode and I still have my 360. And I prefer the art style of GW2 over GW3. So my concern isn't how well they hold up, it's that there is no real reason for me as a fan who doesn't care for Adventure mode to buy it.

I'm more interested in the new modes that aren't Adventure. Those are what may cause me to purchase the game someday on a PSN/Live discount.

tips:

-waves of enemies spawn in if you've killed the majority of the board

-when you die, enemies will spawn in less numbers, leading to less score (this applies to classic, not sure if it applies to adventure mode as well)

Those two only necessarily apply to Deadline gametypes.

Bennicus

-gates and gravity wells are ESSENTIAL to victory. They give a separate bonus multiplier to enemies killed by the explosion of wells and gates as well as enemies killed by bullets bouncing off of gates themselves.

The gravity well vortex intensifies with each enemy it destroys, you can calm it down and keep it active for longer by shooting at it. Doing this while avoiding or murdering anything else that gets near you is fun!

CLEEK

Had to wait for my wife to finish watching something, then finally got to play an hours worth before bed. I was too drunk to be any good, and only touched Classic Pacifism. But by the time I finished and went to bed, my 19m score was 26th in the World.

The new Pacifism is legit. Newer graphics are a bit of a downgrade. Slightly less clarity, but not ruinous. Just a preference thing. Scores seem lower, but then I am very rusty and having played the original in years. It does feel weird playing with the DS4. The firmer sticks don't feel the same.

Going to play the fuck out of the rest of the game tonight. Sober.

Top Bottom