• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sequels that you feel just rolled off a production line

120v

People dismissing NSMB 2 probably missed that playing for coins in the other modes (or the normal mode) is a complete game changer in terms of how you progress and how the levels are built and offer challenge. I thought the game was way too safe until I started playing the other modes, then I saw what's really good about NSMB 2. It is a hard sell though.

People dissing the whole New series are just cray cray and can't see beyond art style. From multiplayer and massive improvements in level design as the series went on to the challenge mode and accessibility features like the bubble and super guide, these games always brought something important to the table and evolved the series.

NSMB2 had some of the best platforming i've played this gen.

i think the issue was it was more of a remix of NSMB Wii than a real sequel. which isn't a bad thing per se but not really expected with a "2" in the title

The Boat

NSMB2 had some of the best platforming i've played this gen.

i think the issue was it was more of a remix of NSMB Wii than a real sequel. which isn't a bad thing per se but not really expected with a "2" in the title
That and NSMB U came out soon after. I understand the feeling, even if I wouldn't say it's a remix as the levels are completely different. But the game shines the brightest when you're after coins with a timer, which is optional, so I get it.

I felt this way with Dishonored 2.
Didn't even make it really far into it, sadly, because I couldn't get over how soulless it felt.

Yeah, same here. I ended up finishing it though. Don't get me wrong - I thought Dishonored 2 was a good game, no question. However... it didn't quite live up to the first for me. Moreover, I thought some of the new things they tried (e.g., Clockwork Mansion in particular) just were not very good. It was missing the uniqueness of the settings from Dishonored 1. I miss the experience of skulking around Lady Boyle's party and traversing the mansion. The locations in Dishonored 2 just couldn't compare, IMO.

I feel like a lot of the 90+ ratings likely came from critics who didn't play the first one. I must've replayed the first one no fewer than four times, but I barely made it through one play through of the second.

NSMB2 was an awesome score attack type game that kept me coming back to see how many coins I could get.

NSMBU was a fantastic multiplayer romp with my wife, one of my most fav game experiences of all time, pure platforming fun.

Will never understand the hate, really wish they had just slapped a yarn or whatever filter on the games so people like that could appreciate them properly.

The gameplay was 2D Mario aces.

Wait, New Super Mario Bros. 2 is a score attack game with high scores per stages and time trials(?)

I might pick it up then, while I always thought NSMB Wii and U brought valid improvements and twists to the table that their predecessors lacked, 2 always seemed to me like a lazy retread of the first game by a less talented team of level designers. U was by the "main" team. It didn't help that they revealed in Iwata Asks that it was originally going to be named New Super Mario Bros. Gold.

I was under the impression that the coin stuff was just collecting coins to reach a running total of 1 million (I think), which held no appeal to me at all. Can someone elaborate?

TheMoon

NSMB2 was an awesome score attack type game that kept me coming back to see how many coins I could get.

NSMBU was a fantastic multiplayer romp with my wife, one of my most fav game experiences of all time, pure platforming fun.

Will never understand the hate, really wish they had just slapped a yarn or whatever filter on the games so people like that could appreciate them properly.

The gameplay was 2D Mario aces.

Would this be a good excuse to talk about how fantastic Super Mario Maker 3DS is as a regular ass 2D Mario platformer campaign? Because holy cow, hold on to your butts!

Wait, New Super Mario Bros. 2 is a score attack game with high scores per stages and time trials(?)

I might pick it up then, while I always thought NSMB Wii and U brought valid improvements and twists to the table that their predecessors lacked, 2 always seemed to me like a lazy retread of the first game by a less talented team of level designers. U was by the "main" team. It didn't help that they revealed in Iwata Asks that it was originally going to be named New Super Mario Bros. Gold.

I was under the impression that the coin stuff was just collecting coins to reach a running total of 1 million (I think), which held no appeal to me at all. Can someone elaborate?

Seems like you got fooled by the internet narrative around it.

Coin Rush mode, also the first Mario DLC ever, is where Real Marios are made.

The comment about how Nintendo should have stuck a yarn filter or something on later NSMB games is on point. I think people would have been more receptive to NSMB U's charms and great level design had that been the case.

While that game did have gorgeous dynamic backgrounds it still looked and felt too similar to the previous 3 games at a glance, even though all its levels wouldn't have been possible on a small screen.

Would this be a good excuse to talk about how fantastic Super Mario Maker 3DS is as a regular ass 2D Mario platformer campaign? Because holy cow, hold on to your butts!

This. The single player 100 levels mode made me not even think about considering the game for this thread.

eerik9000

Gears 4.

Uninspired in every sense of the word.

Too safe, too sterile and feels like it was designed by committee.

Also garbage robot enemies that were unsatisfying to fight.

I remember reading/hearing (probably from Giant Bomb) that Black Tusk/Coalition was considering different directions for the franchise but decided to continue the same old way. I guess they also were on a tight schedule to get it out by the end of 2016, which gave them little over two and a half years for development.

Doom II: It's a glorified map pack with one new weapon.

Mass Effect 3: Felt like a Mass Effect 2 expansion pack. It didn't fix the gameplay flaws introduced in its predecessor (like the near-complete lack of RPG systems), and didn't really add anything new in terms of gameplay or story.

Assassin's Creed: Rogue: A short remix of Black Flag with some Unity tie-ins. I enjoyed it, but this deserved expandalone pricing, not full game.

Zukkoyaki

Excuse me???
Am I wrong?

The games are excellent but their massive re-use of assets, animations and near lack of any meaningful gameplay changes along with ok at best visuals feel assembly line-ish, at least to me. It isn't dismissive of them, just that the entries are all very, very similar (especially NSMB).

Modern Warfare 2. Shit wad basically paint by numbers and a soulless retread of cod 4 in Single player, and a misdirected clusterfuck that threw everything and the kitchen sink in ending up a colossal mess that couldn't hold a candle to the simple but brilliant Mp in cod4.

2013 wasn't a direct sequel to any one game but it was a sequel in a long-running franchise. As for games adding new features, that's not necessarily what I understood the description in the OP to mean. I'll have to go and re-read it but I think I understood it more as "does this game feel like it was made off a checklist" or "does this game feel like it was cobbled together just to have something to release".

FAKE EDIT: Here, this is the description from the OP:

It's obviously not just asking for games that didn't innovate on their predecessors' feature sets.

TR2013 had a long, troubled development cycle.

Nothing about it feel like it came from an assembly line.

pagrab

For me its Nintendo games - the thread. As many pointed out NSMB games feel like that, but I could add the same about Smash or Zelda (up to Breath of the Wild).

TheMoon

For me its Nintendo games - the thread. As many pointed out NSMB games feel like that, but I could add the same about Smash or Zelda (up to Breath of the Wild).

How does that fit with Zelda when they're all so wildly different from one another. With the type of mechanics they introduce, how they changed up art styles completely...

There are many things that can be said about No More Heroes 2 compared to the first game. But worse pacing? No More Heroes 1 is loaded with blatant padding that I absolutely did not miss in NMH2.

Desperate Struggle lacks the soul of the first game, but is by far the better game from a strictly game design standpoint.

Yes, worse pacing. Some of those levels go on forever. Playing as Shinobu is a chore. The 10+ minute fight outside the supermarket. Making your way to Alice takes forever.

F-Zero GPL and Climax for Game Boy Advance.

thse 2 only exist to complement the anime that came out around the same time. they feel like they were only clearing checkboxes to fill a quota since the games do nothing to push forward the series (especially GPL. Climax at least has some interesting ideas)

What? GPL had a good story mode and the Zero Test mode. I played GX after it and was actually disappointed that it had rather poor mode variety compared to it, it's either Grand Prix or spending way too much time on clearing a single story mode chapter. Anime tie-in or not it's better modes are definitely a noteworthy addition to the series as they break the monotony of just doing Grand Prix. I guess F-Zero was kind of oversaturated during this time (as funny as it sounds now) but it's still not even close to feel as "rolled off a production line" than many other Nintendo series such as NSMB/3D series, Mario Party on GameCube, Kirby, Fire Emblem currently, etc

Also no one mentioned SFV yet? A lot of fighting games too tbh

Doom II: It's a glorified map pack with one new weapon.

Mass Effect 3: Felt like a Mass Effect 2 expansion pack. It didn't fix the gameplay flaws introduced in its predecessor (like the near-complete lack of RPG systems), and didn't really add anything new in terms of gameplay or story.

Assassin's Creed: Rogue: A short remix of Black Flag with some Unity tie-ins. I enjoyed it, but this deserved expandalone pricing, not full game.

Doom II actually completely changes the dynamic of how maps and encounters are designed. The official maps are bland and get tiresome, but the new enemies and super shotgun have mad a huge difference in custom levels.

Mass Effect 3 did add back some RPG systems to the leveling and reworked the power cooldown system, but it had a variety of its own problems completely unrelated to the story. Bland missions especially. I never want to play that awful Ravager mission with Grunt again.

TheMoon

What? GPL had a good story mode and the Zero Test mode. I played GX after it and was actually disappointed that it had rather poor mode variety compared to it, it's either Grand Prix or spending way too much time on clearing a single story mode chapter. Anime tie-in or not it's better modes are definitely a noteworthy addition to the series as they break the monotony of just doing Grand Prix. I guess F-Zero was kind of oversaturated during this time (as funny as it sounds now) but it's still not even close to feel as "rolled off a production line" than many other Nintendo series such as NSMB/3D series, Mario Party on GameCube, Kirby, Fire Emblem currently, etc

Yea GP Legend is awesomesauce.

I thought AA6 was decent, but the whole series would be far better if they didn't do a complete U-turn on everything Apollo Justice set up. Phoenix doesn't need to be a lawyer anymore.

Dude was only a lawyer for a 4 years. And he's in his mid-30s. The hell is he supposed to do with his life? I love Apollo the character, but that game was a misstep.

They kept several plot points going, but they really needed to redeem Phoenix who was pretty unlikable there. His initial twist was cool, but afterwards ... ugh.

In future games, it would be nice to keep him in a supporting role.

pagrab

How does that fit with Zelda when they're all so wildly different from one another. With the type of mechanics they introduce, how they changed up art styles completely...

Well, I don't think that Ocarina of Time, Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword are that much different.

Gulz1992

Crash Bandicoot: The Wrath of Cortex

A carbon copy of Crash 1 - 3. Nothing about it feels like an original idea from the developers. It all feels extremely workman-like.

Yeah, like most in this thread, I feel the same about the NSMB games and I'd personally add in the likes of Assassin's Creed, the various Musou games, and Little Big Planet as well

Well, I don't think that Ocarina of Time, Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword are that much different.
I can see the case for OoT and TP but SS is very different from either of them. It's partially the reason as to why it's not seen as positively as other Zelda titles, with motion controls and backtracking galore. Even with OoT and TP, you can at least argue they're as different from each other as most sequels are

Ambient80

The upcoming call of duty ww2
This game was approved and made within one year after activision saw the success of battlefield 1 and felt pressure to hurry and release a game set in ww2 before EA.

Everything they showed of this fame points to it being a bad game.

This is just simply a false statement. Game development doesn’t work like that at all.

Jaleel

vandal-hearts-ii-usa-v1-1.jpg

Vandal Hearts is one of my favorite turn-based strategy games and arguably one of the greatest to come out of the PS1 era (notable mentions to Brigandine: Legend of Forsena and Final Fantasy Tactics). The word visceral in recent times has become a buzz word to describe any and everything but it so accurately represents the first Vandal Hearts.

I was so excited to get my hands on Vandal Hearts II only to be disappointed at the utter lack of charm and bizarre game play adjustments. It just seemed so uninspired compared to the original.

and don't even get me started on Vandal Hearts III...

TheMoon

I can see the case for OoT and TP but SS is very different from either of them. It's partially the reason as to why it's not seen as positively as other Zelda titles, with motion controls and backtracking galore. Even with OoT and TP, you can at least argue they're as different from each other as most sequels are

Yea this.

Even between OoT and TP, the whole Wolf Link thing throws enough of a twist in this whole thing to make this not really applicable for me.

Is Dual Destinies that disappointing?
It's just a game that kind of goes through the motions. It's still a good game, just not particularly something very new or different. I'd rank it above the likes of Apollo Justice and Justice for All at the very least, maybe even the first Ace Attorney

With the exception of NSMB2, each new entry in this franchise was expertly crafted and improved upon the previous game is massive and creative ways.

I swear people just don't look past the artstyle when it comes to these games.
To be fair, you can't quite blame them for that. Prior 2D Mario games had vast changes in art style and improvements in the formula that it just makes the NSMB games come across as very stale, even though they're mostly well designed. Granted, they also made some improvements as well but they're relatively smaller and more minor, with a lot of game mechanics often re-used

etrain911

Mario and Luigi: Paper Jam definitely felt like a rushed, "factory-line" created entry of the series to fill in the software gaps Nintendo was having on both their systems at the time. It's the most recent entry in the series, and the most recent one I played, yet it's the one I remember least about.

This is a great post. The remake of SuperStar Saga's artstyle makes me feel like it is headed down the same road.

xrnzaaas

Fallout 4. For me felt a lot like a big expansion for Fallout 3 and managing settlements was the only brand new feature I can remember (plus it sucked). Also it had a bland world and boring quests, it's like Bethesda didn't care to look how much other big RPG's have improved and evolved in the meantime and just produced more of the same.

120v

This deep in the thread and no mention of Hotline Miami 2. I've never been so disappointed with a sequel.

it was a letdown but it went well out of its way not to be Hotline Miami Redux. definitely not a +1 they just cranked out real quick

BTA

AA6 is included in this. I don't know how people can think these games are amazing. I preferred the direction that AA4 took, and they completely took a dump on it.

I thought AA5 was decent at best (the DLC case was good), but I enjoyed AA6 a lot. I definitely had some issues with what they dedicated time to at some points, among other things, but it felt like they were making more of an effort to actually do something interesting beyond their bizarre attempt to bring Pheonix back as the main character. The focus actually moved back to Appollo when it came to the overall plot and I enjoyed the characters more; I mean, even Blackquill was good this time instead of being the ridiculous "WHAT IF THE LAWYER WAS... A CRIMINAL" idea taken too seriously. And Maya returning may have been "safe" but at the same time it was pretty effective and nice to have her back!
Fuck off with not telling your kids about their parents STILL until it's just barely hinted you will in the ending though, holy shit Wright. "By the way, you two are half-siblings and I've known for years. Also I've known the identity and location of your mom, who's alive, for years. I haven't told you this for some reason!" Yeah, that's gonna go down real swell dude!

I really do wish we could have headed in the direction AA4 set up, though. At least we got Athena as a result? I really wonder where AA7 will end up going.

And as always I wish we could get DGS because AAvPL showed Takumi's still got it.

I mean, you're skipping a LOT of games there (MM, WW, PH, ST, ALBW), also as far as sequels go OoT TP and SS are all far more different from each other than your ordinary sequel, and while I can see the OoT to TP comparison as I've always thought TP was just them trying to recreate a grittier OoT, SS is vastly different than either, heck, I'd say Wind Waker is more like Ocarina than Skyward Sword is.

On-topic, the New Super Mario Bros series obviously, Fallout 4, every yearly sports title, I'd also say Mario Kart Wii, compared to every other entry in the franchise there is so little exciting about it, it basically feels like a stock Mario Kart game.

Top Bottom