• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Really long levels

muteki

Xenogears:

2-emeralda11.jpg

Saven

Banned
Kislev from Xenogears.

Waaaaaay too long (it's about 1/8th of the whole game), very tedious and dull area complete with one of the worst dungeons in any jrpg, the sewers.

Sonic Heroes became a marathon. Other than the 3 characters thing it was honestly the length of those levels as a Sonic level on why I didn't like it.

Plum

Every one of the licensed Lego games.

It's gotten worse with later entries. The length of some of the levels in The Force Awakens is why I just dropped that game, it's not great gameplay and feels like you need a partner to really enjoy things.

Reedirect

The
ship
palace in Persona 5 is completely ridiculous. The hook of it isn't very good, which also doesn't help.

Keinning

Kanji's sauna in P4

Other levels were probably bigger but damn if the sauna didnt felt like a massive slog

Some of the victory roads (or victory road equivalent) in pokemon are also ridiculously massive if you go for all the items

pandemonium in FF2 (or was it the crystal tower in FFIII?) was too long for its own good too

El Odio

Banned
Damn, op took what was gonna be my answer. I guess I'll also add in Planet Wisp from generations. It takes like 10 minutes to get through both of them.

Never beat the dungeon. Just gave up on the game at that point.

It's a nice little ending gift. But damn is it hard to get through without getting 100% game over infection.

Also, .hack GU's Forest of Pain in Vol. 3 would be fitting as well. 100 floors with bosses mixed in.

Wiped89

Some Yoshi's Island levels took the best part of an hour when I was stuck in a boss castle.

Yoshi's Woolly World levels are also pretty long. Sometimes I only do two in an hour.

Relative to the rest of the game, Metal Slug 3 and 6's final levels are about half of their respective games length.

For a really long level though, I'd have to mention the Tower level from Phantasy Star Zero. It's so long, you have to lower your brightness and start from a full charge if you plan on beating on the go. Oh and it has to be done all in one go.

Toxi

Banned
Beating Dalamadur solo in Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate. You get 50 minutes, and you'll need those 50 minutes if you don't know exactly what you're doing.

3cjs9fh.png

I didn't even attempt Gogmazios solo. Dude is just way too tanky and I can't even imagine the thought of running out of time and wasting 50 minutes of my life.

These might not be as long as some levels in this thread, but they're boss fights. Boss fights clearly meant for a group of players, not just one.

gfxtwin

The Island chapters of RE4 slogged on and felt like they were padded with tons of filler. Aside from a fight with Krauser and that one boss that looked like something out of The Thing, it was pretty uninteresting until you get to the lab.

EDIT: and the vehicle sections of Half-Life 2

Every level in Sonic Heroes, they never fucking end and it's all padding. To this day I'm still angry about one of the last levels on some airships, after like 15-20 mins of misery it decides what you need to round things off is a series of tiny floating platforms that each have a huge armoured hammer enemy whose swing radius is larger than the platform. Why?

Superkewl

Gold Member
I am playing the Dragonborn DLC for Skyrim at the moment and I hate it. It reminds me of the Fade in Dragon Age: Origins. I just want it to fucking end.

Kouriozan

I always thought W101 stages were a bit too long, I like the faster paced Bayonetta.
de Blob stages were awfully too long and end up being boring.

vypek

It's a nice little ending gift. But damn is it hard to get through without getting 100% game over infection.

Also, .hack GU's Forest of Pain in Vol. 3 would be fitting as well. 100 floors with bosses mixed in.

I've yet to play GU but I'm curious about it.

I always got the infection game over and really wanted to see the ending. I guess at this point u can look it up. It was too tough for me. Almost want to give it another shot though

gstaff

Chapter 10 of The Evil Within. Laura's return is brutal. I actually took longer to beat the game the 2nd time because this level still challenged the hell out of me.

I've yet to play GU but I'm curious about it.

I always got the infection game over and really wanted to see the ending. I guess at this point u can look it up. It was too tough for me. Almost want to give it another shot though

Edit: Actually I think that fight was a one time thing. You might actually have to DD everything. So it's luck with infection, plus some monsters weren't Data bugs (so magic gate luck on monster spawns)

I am playing the Dragonborn DLC for Skyrim at the moment and I hate it. It reminds me of the Fade in Dragon Age: Origins. I just want it to fucking end.

I thought this on my first playthrough but on later ones, it's much shorter. I mean
the last quest involves nothing but reading a Black Book and flying to the final boss. It's over in no time.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Maybe it doesn't count exactly but level 13 in ffxv took way longer than I wanted to and I hated every minute of it

Came here to post this, it's one of the worst and longest/drawn out things I've ever done in gaming.

Turned me from a massive fan of the game into a complete hater over the course of one horrible level; so long....so bad.

Glowsquid

The "Endurance" level in Star Wars Rogue Leader was aptly named. the required time to get a Gold medal is 3 hours and most speedruns of it are one hour and a half.

Thud

Chapter 17 'Day Breaks' in Path of Radiance. It contains 4 parts, playing through it takes an hour at least, maybe even two lol.

The stakes get higher in each part, it's really neat. Reward is also nice.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
Forbidden Woods in Bloodborne feels significantly longer than any other area in the game except maybe Nightmare of Mensis. Regularly takes me two hours or more per playthrough (I like to kill every enemy and pick up every item), and I love almost every minute of it.

Top Bottom