• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Salt and Sanctuary |OT| Salt for the Soul

Tyrus

Banned
So when the hell does this go up in Australia? Preorder has been down since this morning but can't buy it, at least not through the web store.

I wasn't going to bite but I'm thinking of giving it a go.

It's already live. Don't try and access it through the pre-order section, go to new releases.

Does anyone know if Salt and Sanctuary devs will add online co-op later on down the road? Or is that something just never really gonna happen?

Edit: I found one of the Ska Studios developers say this over on the U.S. PlayStation Blog:

"No co-op trophies! Honestly, that never occurred to me. I like to think there’s a distant possibility of some sort of expansion or megapatch or something that would introduce online multiplayer, but we’re just focusing on all the local stuff for now."

OmegaDL50

All games have bugs, doesn't mean they weren't properly tested or had poor QA. No need to make dickish comments about the devs.

I think your taking the statement out of context as a slight against the developers.

The point is 2 Devs only have four eyes to assess any problems, but a private beta comprised of like 20 people will likely find potentially more issues in much quicker.

Of course I don't think the Devs handled their own QA and had some people test the game, it's just the point the more people involved to find problems, the better the chances in finding an example like the above and getting it fixed before the release and public makes a fuss about it.

This way the Silva's can concentrate on more important things. Of course having reliable people properly report issues for QA is another matter entirely.

ramyeon

It's already live. Don't try and access it through the pre-order section, go to new releases.

Does anyone know if Salt and Sanctuary devs will add online co-op later on down the road? Or is that something just never really gonna happen?
That's weird. The listing on their webstore isn't purchasable. Maybe I'll have to do it through the store on the PS4.

RPGam3r

I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing with the Skill Tree. I'm feeling so confused right now.

Just hover around a bit and pick you play style. There are specialization sections, like going up and to the right is more knight/warrior.

Kind of reminds me of a sphere grid. A lot of differences obviously, multi level spots (need 2+ to unlock some), multi tier spots (spend 3 points in some), and travel the board at any time. Maybe the look is the only resemblance.

ramyeon

Hearing about hit box issues is really putting me off... guess I may wait a few days to pull the trigger on this after all.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Just hover around a bit and pick you play style. There are specialization sections, like going up and to the right is more knight/warrior.

Kind of reminds me of a sphere grid. A lot of differences obviously, multi level spots (need 2+ to unlock some), multi tier spots (spend 3 points in some), and travel the board at any time. Maybe the look is the only resemblance.

Yeah but apparently you can repurchase stats? Hopefully I don't waste too much points doing that. Already lost a few lol.

Khezu

Watching ATP stream it, looks really fun.

Tempted to buy it, but I have enough games to play right now, and I kinda rather play it on PC.

rybrad

How small Woof? My eyes are pretty bad.
If you have bad vision I think it might be tough for you to read the text on item and skill descriptions fairly regularly. I have excellent eyesight and have found it uncomfortable in a couple spots.

Yooooo, didn't know there'd be a combo system. I assumed just light and heavy attack based on souls but, square->triangle and square->square->square->triangle gives me access to attacks with the Arming Sword that I can't otherwise use.

square->triangle is a launcher, and following up with another triangle is a pretty good combo, though that 2nd triangle is just the sword's regular aerial triangle (a helm splitter type attack)

and square->square->square->triangle leads to a badass looking uppercut strike that is probably also a launcher but doesn't send you up in the air with the enemy.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I just realized that the hanged bodies at the entrance of the Banquet area are the bodies of dead players. Cool goddamn detail. Love shit like that.

I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing with the Skill Tree. I'm feeling so confused right now.

Just try experimenting for now.

When you find grey pearls they would allow you to respecc your skill tree

But in general assume it didn't change- the left side is for magic, the upper left is strength, the upper right is dex, the right side is prayers.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Just try experimenting for now.

When you find grey pearls they would allow you to respecc your skill tree

But in general assume it didn't change- the left side is for magic, the upper left is strength, the upper right is dex, the right side is prayers.

Perfect. Respeccing makes me way less nervous. Also, I ended up in the cleric covenant...Kind of doesn't suit me. I can change later right?

Perfect. Respeccing makes me way less nervous. Also, I ended up in the cleric covenant...Kind of doesn't suit me. I can change later right?

I believe so, I saw a stream where an npc of another Creed offered you a chance to change your Creed to his own.

But I get a feeling it means you can't use the stone npcs which you brought in to your original sanctuary

Zetta

I believe so, I saw a stream where an npc of another Creed offered you a chance to change your Creed to his own.

But I get a feeling it means you can't use the stone npcs which you brought in to your original sanctuary

You can use the npcs but I don't think you can change back or get w/e item you could get from it.

I'm liking the game so far, but man, they really dropped the ball with the UI. So much wasted screen space, they should have made the inventory UI much bigger and shown more information all together. You can't even see an items stats until you click on it, then press square, and the 3 tabs on the left could have all easily been showing at the same time in one window.

Also, yeah the decorations in each corner of the screen still look bad.

That aside, the gameplay is pretty fun, and the world seems really complex and detailed, I'm liking it. Stamina seems to be a bitch to manage though, at least early on.

Definitely going to be putting a lot more time into this, wonder if it'll keep me busy until Dark Souls 3...

Jobbs

Banned
Are a lot of people having trouble on Sodden Knight?

I had him down to one hit on my first attempt, then on my second attempt I destroyed him handily. I'm not a very good gamer really, I just know that this is trying to be a Souls game, so I know to keep my distance and watch what enemies do before committing to things. I also haven't noticed the bad hitboxes some are reporting.

I really like the game so far. I like the way the talent tree is set up and there's a nice variety of gear and spells. I'm playing cleric. :)

Parry and riposting is pretty satisfying. Had my doubts about how satisfying it could feel in a 2D game but nope, the way it zooms in and the subsequent animation, along with the sound is pretty great.

moonbeam

Is it possible to use R1 and R2 for attack and strong attack?

(A disability means I can't be constantly pressing the face buttons without causing problems for myself.)

Is it possible to use R1 and R2 for attack and strong attack?

If you set it system wide via the ps4's system menu, then yeah. You'd have to remember to switch it back though. No way to do it in-game as far as I've seen, though I'm personally fine with the button layout as is.

2.5 hours in I'm loving it. Honestly I was pretty doubtful if a 2D Souls-like could hold my attention, but I feel like they really nailed it. I'm doing a light armor 2h polearm build. Infantry Pollaxe moveset is fun as hell. Exploration is rewarding and there are lots of little hidden nooks and crannies to find. I've found tons of weapons, armor, rings, and items so far. I have a feeling the replay value is high due to good build/equipment options.

My only complaints are the UI (small font size and those dumb decorations in the corners) and that it feels a bit too easy overall.

Certainly feels a lot like the Souls series, so I think a lot of people are going to be very happy. I've read that some critics are saying the game doesn't have its own spirit because it borrows so much from other series, but I'd argue that the game is taking a lot of ideas from a 3D game and making it actually work in a 2D world. So I think that is really cool and helps make this game its own.

Didn't get far tonight because I'm really tired. Will play it more tomorrow.

Added: One of the developers is responding to questions right now on reddit's PS4 page. Some good news is that the devs are already listening to what players want to be added in the future, such as different text size options. He also said he has an unfinished PS4 theme that he might finish.

Sodden Knight down. I rerolled multiple times since I wasn't sure what starting position on the sphere grid I wanted, but I think I'm finally happy.

SeanTSC

Whoops, there went 3 hours. I'm having a blast so far. 2H weapons are extremely satisfying. I started with a Hunter and beat the first boss, but wasn't really sold on it due to the janky rolling. Then I rolled a Knight and I have been concentrating on going right down the Heavy Armor tree and the Sword tree and it's been waaaaay better for me, especially once I found a 2H sword. Absolutely wrecked the second boss I found with my 2H sword + Holy oil applied.

Note: Illusory walls require circle presses. Or at least the one I just found did. Maybe hitting it would've done too, but I hit circle first.

Awesome game, beat the first boss after many tries. Didn't knew I had to offer some items at the sanctuary in order to get a shop set up. After that I upgraded my weapon and shield. Pretty fantastic overall! Just what I expected.

Ceravic

So far so good. Beat the first boss, but then got wrecked by the
Queen of Smiles
. I'm wondering if I'm a bit underleveled for
her
. That, plus I'm still getting a little hung up on the control scheme not being Souls (ie hitting R1 still and wasting healing items). So far so good though. It's a wonderful transition of Souls to 2D.

eloxx

i've been waiting for this for a looong time. looks so damn cool. going to try it tonight. after reading all of the positive reactions in this thread im even more hyped.

Can anyone explain what the downside is to putting multiple pearls into a single stat node other than not being able to move further along the tree? Like, it's letting me keep putting pearls into the same stat node over and over.

IbukiLordSA

What an awesome game, loving it at the moment, skill tree is amazing, so many damn options and I already have more weapons than my entire play through in Bloodborne lol. Went with the Hunter class as it started with a Crossbow and Whip, 2 weapons I have never really touched, took out the first boss on the first go and opened a bunch of shortcuts. Really loving it, can't wait to delve deeper into the game.

My fight against Sodden Knight, can't wait for the upcoming bosses:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xpCh3iYH-c

ManeKast

Been playing a few hours up to the second boss; its such a fun game and mind blowing its made by two people (?). Great atmosphere, nails the souls feel and is scratching that itch for DS3 and then some. Totally worth it at the price just for the novelty alone for Souls fans.

Obviously not that far in but I'm loving it so far.

Majin Boo

4 bosses down. I'm having a hard time dodging their attacks, especially since most of them go into some kind of rage mode when their health gets low, maybe I sould use a shield after all.

2nd(?) boss:
Queen of Smiles
down. Sloppy fight. Got sooooooo greedy at the end when the boss was literally one hit from death.

Played it for a bit last night. Now I'm at work waiting for the day to pass so I can dive back into it. First impression was very good.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
About an hour in and having a good time. Wondering though, where does homage become straight up ripping off.

Audioboxer

Is it actually possible to kill the boss on the ship the first time? Like a Souls tutorial boss or is he always meant for ng+ later in ng? Just wondering.

Going to play properly today, was too tired last night. Would have been good to have the devs on GAF. I'm sure they'll get lots of feedback online and the game will see some patches and tweaks.

Ellite25

So I played about 45 minutes and I'm really into it so far. I love Souls games and this is basically that in 2D form. Definitely going to enjoy my time with this one.

Any word on how long it is?

Is it actually possible to kill the boss on the ship the first time? Like a Souls tutorial boss or is he always meant for ng+ later in ng? Just wondering.

Nothing huge, but just in case...
There's a trophy for killing that boss and you do not fight it in NG+

So I played about 45 minutes and I'm really into it so far. I love Souls games and this is basically that in 2D form. Definitely going to enjoy my time with this one.

Any word on how long it is?

It took me around 15-20 hours my first playthrough.

Top Bottom