• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Buying a 4K TV for PS4K thread!

georly

Impossible, you can't get 65 inch for that price. Unless it was some Black Friday sale where you had to cut someone's arm off to get one.

I don't expect it to reach 1k, of course. Just as CLOSE to 1k as possible (even if that's 1800). If i can strip out the fluff (the 'smart' features, etc) to reduce the price, I'd love to. My price range is between 1k and 2k, and I'm giving myself 6~ months or so to get a good deal on one.

Also, is OLED *that* much better for the price difference? LED seems fine, no?

kinggroin

Banned
On the real, I have a Plasma TV that'll outperform most similar priced 4K sets.

I'm not jumping off 1080p until I can replace my projector with an affordable short throw model

julrik

I have a Kuro now, but will buy the new LG B6 OLED when it releases this spring/summer. Will buy the new PS4 on day one too.

FinKL

A 4K set without hdr is worthless.

There are good budget 4k sets, even at good sizes.

But they miss a lot of features (that make 4k shine).

All these TV threads got me in the research mood and I stumbled upon this
http://www.cnet.com/news/dolby-vision-vs-hdr10-how-to-survive-the-hdr-tv-format-war/
Pretty much, if you are getting a 4k, make sure it's HDR compatible. What's even more confusing is that there is a HDR war going on now with Dolby Vision (Closed standard, Vizio/LG) vs HDR10 (Open standard. Samsung,Sony,LG,Vizio).

The TLDR is that all TVs that have HDR will be HDR10 compatible, but only a few manufacturers will do both Dolby Vision and HDR10 (LG & Vizio right now). Dolby Vision is the "better" spec as it can calibrate color range scene by scene whereas HDR10 will have 1 set of color data calibrated by the movie itself. At least this is what I interpreted, and I don't know much about this stuff.

brawly

Why buy it now? I get that you're excited but this is the definition of impulse buying. Just sit back and wait for this thing to actually come out, then see what 4k content there is and what TVs that there are.

Chances are that by that time you might get a 55" tv for the price of one of those listed up there. Patience.

shandy706

PC gaming cant even do 4K reliably with the beefiest rig available.

Uh...yes it can.

I've played games at 4k at 120fps....and nearly any new game at 30-60fps depending on the game.

Edit* That is on an old build with a new GPU too, so It's not like I'm using a $1500 2015/16 build. I built this PC back in 2008. It's an i7 920 @ 3.1ghz and a GTX 980Ti with 12GB Ram.

I don't expect it to reach 1k, of course. Just as CLOSE to 1k as possible (even if that's 1800). If i can strip out the fluff (the 'smart' features, etc) to reduce the price, I'd love to. My price range is between 1k and 2k, and I'm giving myself 6~ months or so to get a good deal on one.

Also, is OLED *that* much better for the price difference? LED seems fine, no?

You may want to look into the TV having HDR too.

In relations to LED and OLED..

LED TVs will give you an HDR image with better peak brightness but less deep blacks, whiled OLED TVs will give you an HDR image with lower peak brightness but deeper blacks.

I'm hoping Sharp will release a 70" UHD with HDR soon. However, we're talking $2500-$3500 minimum probably.

Make sure it has HDR. Better Call Saul looks absolutely incredible in 4K even at the Netflix bitrate. The cinematography of that show stands out.

All these TV threads got me in the research mood and I stumbled upon this
http://www.cnet.com/news/dolby-vision-vs-hdr10-how-to-survive-the-hdr-tv-format-war/
Pretty much, if you are getting a 4k, make sure it's HDR compatible. What's even more confusing is that there is a HDR war going on now with Dolby Vision (Closed standard, Vizio/LG) vs HDR10 (Open standard. Samsung,Sony,LG,Vizio).

The TLDR is that all TVs that have HDR will be HDR10 compatible, but only a few manufacturers will do both Dolby Vision and HDR10 (LG & Vizio right now)

This is why I say it's premature right now to buy one. You want one that is UHD Premium rated or at least compliant to that standard. Those will be a dime a dozen in 2017, but most won't start showing up until the end of this year.

georly

You may want to look into the TV having HDR too.

In relations to LED and OLED..

LED TVs will give you an HDR image with better peak brightness but less deep blacks, whiled OLED TVs will give you an HDR image with lower peak brightness but deeper blacks.

OK will do. I'm new to the whole tv thing. The one time I bought myself a tv, I just got a random moderately priced old 40" LCD and it's been ok. I haven't looked into all the details for an expensive tv yet.

Z3M0G

choofed.gif

Do people actually think this thing will get near 4K with games?

Games like Uncharted, no.

Games like Dead Star, yes. And it would be glorious.

ViciousDS

Banned
Impossible, you can't get 65 inch for that price. Unless it was some Black Friday sale where you had to cut someone's arm off to get one.

and it will probably be a subpar set......I would wait for 4k Premium sets to become the standard and to drop in price. Everything right now isn't really worth it

Nev

Banned
I hope nobody is actually expecting the PS4K to run games at 4K haha. Maybe Spelunky.

The meltdowns will be glorious.

Vuze

Back in the day? I believe these oxygen thiefs were spouting this shite in 2013

3o85xH8F9aaPCFrOes.gif
Yikes...

On topic, I think it's premature to buy a 4K TV set right now just in anticipation of the PS4 refresh. Unless you're in the market for a new TV anyway, then sure. Can't say I have watched any native 4K content except for trailers on our set yet lol

I'll be looking for a new 65~ 4k by the end of the year. Saving up now. What makes the vizio p so special? Primary use will be video games and blu-rays, but I'd like to future-proof it a little so I'm not rebuying a new tv in 3 years for nexxxxt gen. So, 65, 4k, good for games (low latency, I assume, is what i'd be looking for). As close to $1,000 as possible (I can wait for sales, budget caps out at 2k, but, i'd love to get as close to 1k as possible). Bestbuy has the 65 visio p at 2k right now, I assume it can go down a little by the end of the year or on sale or with some other promo or at some other retailer.

1k is a bit low, but if you're willing to push for 1.5/1.8k you'll easily find a good set.

Future proof? Better wait for specs to stabilize once UHDBR are out and the dust has settled.

Cleve

JebaćBiedę;201469222 said:
Does 1080p on 4k look as bad as 720p on 1080p?

My 4k Samsung 7100 looks gorgeous with 1080p content. the 2x scaling seems a lot easier to get right than the 720-1080 upscaling.

duhmetree

I play consoles on a monitor... Is a 27" 4K monitor worth it? I feel as if I'd need a 4K tv to get the grand experience.. any 4K tv's have 'monitor type' of input lag?

Cleve

I play consoles on a monitor... Is a 27" 4K monitor worth it? I feel as if I'd need a 4K tv to get the grand experience.. any 4K tv's have 'monitor type' of input lag?

That depends how close you are to your monitor. I can definitely appreciate 4k on a monitor on my desk, but I think 1440p w/ high refresh is a better gaming choice if you use a pc.

There's a handful of 4k displays with good input lag. Check out www.rtings.com and look at the size you are interested in.

brawly

Do you watch movies there? Play PC games? If no to both then don't bother.

Vire

One other thing worth noting is that OLEDs at this point in time can still experience significant burn in.

Which kind of sucks for gaming considering games have HUDs in the same position.

Onemic

Uh...yes it can.

I've played games at 4k at 120fps....and nearly any new game at 30-60fps depending on the game.

Edit* That is on an old build with a new GPU too, so It's not like I'm using a $1500 2015/16 build. I built this PC back in 2008. It's an i7 920 @ 3.1ghz and a GTX 980Ti with 12GB Ram.

That's why I said reliably. It's highly dependent on the game. It's also the reason why Nvidia/AMD keep talking about getting 1440p at 60fps reliably with pascal/polaris and arent even discussing 4K performance.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
One other thing worth noting is that OLEDs at this point in time can still experience significant burn in.

Which kind of sucks for gaming considering games have HUDs in the same position.

I don't think the premium that is charged for OLEDs is worth it, at least right now anyway, I'd much rather a high-end LCD.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I didn't want to blame only Sony here as I imagined that Android tv itself was full of problems. For example, I didn't only here about a sluggish interface but also a limited Playstore where for whatever reason you can't install a lot of apps and even if they are sideloaded, they won't appear in the launcher.
IIRC Philips also puts Android tv on their devices and people say the same things.
It shouldn't matter that much for a tv but for me it would be a huge plus if I would be able to put Retroarch on a tv ☺
Edit: can you tell me which hardware this is running on? I would love to here about CPU, gpu and RAM on an Android tv!

Yes, it is more limited than your tablet of phone (as to be expected), but not too much more than any other Smart TV suite out there. Would I like more apps, sure, but that is also up to the app makers themselves to support it as well. They added Playstation Now and Playstation Video as well as their Ultra 4K service last fall, so hoping Vue drops at the same time they drop it to other Android hardware. But for all the basic ones on there from Netflix to YouTube, etc., everything performs and looks remarkable. Those 4K 60fps videos on YouTube are mesmerizing. They look better than real life, lol.

I have not noticed any sluggishness, but then again, not being 'super snappy' may bother some, it is a hair 'softer' in response than the PS4 interface, so it does not seem to bother me. Also you can pin apps to your launcher, and organize them in different orders/types, so maybe people have not gone into the settings to make sure they are pinning it to where they want? I have not downloaded any apps yet, still using the just YouTube and Netflix.

This is the custom Sony X1 chip they use... which I have not been able to find spec on (have not thoroughly dug hard enough admittedly). But when I search, it seems to be 'clouded in mystery' like most TV makers spec. Some think it is ARM based, but everything is all on one chip, that much so far I know. It does have 10GB of storage, well about 8GB effective.

Withnail

I've got a 4K Bravia which I really enjoy but if you want something that's future proof for a few years I would hold off on a purchase for now. As noted by others the specs are only just finalised and I don't believe any current set fully supports all the features of UHD without compromises. UHD is not just 4K resolution, it's also HDR and Rec.2020 (an expanded colour space) and together these represent a generational change in display tech. Going to be pretty sweet when it matures but we're not quite there yet.

c0de

Yes, it is more limited than your tablet of phone (as to be expected), but not too much more than any other Smart TV suite out there. Would I like more apps, sure, but that is also up to the app makers themselves to support it as well. They added Playstation Now and Playstation Video as well as their Ultra 4K service last fall, so hoping Vue drops at the same time they drop it to other Android hardware. But for all the basic ones on there from Netflix to YouTube, etc., everything performs and looks remarkable. Those 4K 60fps videos on YouTube are mesmerizing. They look better than real life, lol.

I have not noticed any sluggishness, but then again, not being 'super snappy' may bother some, it is a hair 'softer' in response than the PS4 interface, so it does not seem to bother me. Also you can pin apps to your launcher, and organize them in different orders/types, so maybe people have not gone into the settings to make sure they are pinning it to where they want? I have not downloaded any apps yet, still using the just YouTube and Netflix.

This is the custom Sony X1 chip they use... which I have not been able to find spec on (have not thoroughly dug hard enough admittedly). But when I search, it seems to be 'clouded in mystery' like most TV makers spec. Some think it is ARM based, but everything is all on one chip, that much so far I know. It does have 10GB of storage, well about 8GB effective.

Thanks for all the information! I think it's too much to let you install an app that shows the hardware information. I am interested in the performance of the hardware used, because of (like I said) Retroarch and perhaps even Kodi which would require good decoder chips and good performance for the interface.

Pif

Banned
What about internet connection needed for 4k streaming?

How much would that be?

Edit: I currently have no devices capable of streaming more than 2k, hence the question. Can't test it myself.

I don't know if Samsung TV like the JU6400 can support the PS4 Neo since it doesn't support 60 hz in 4k resolution, which means no good 4K gaming. It doesn'talso support HDR (if the PS4 Neo supports it).

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
What about internet connection needed for 4k streaming?

How much would that be?

Edit: I currently have no devices capable of streaming more than 2k, hence the question. Can't test it myself.

Most recommend at least 20Mbit for 4K streaming. That goes for all streaming services.

Hawk269

I just picked up the Sony 940d 75" 4k Set that also has HDR and it is fantastic.

Until we know 100% that the PS4k (Neo) has a UHD Blu Ray player and that it will support HDR (which it should if it does UHD), I would wait on a 4k Set until you hear about details some more.

If you don't care about UHD Blu Ray, but still want a 4k set, just do your homework. There are a lot of 4k sets available and some are obvious better than others. If you have any intent on using a PC for PC gaming at 4k, you want to make sure that the 4k set you are buying has HDMI 2.0 and that the set is capable of doing 4k/60fps at 4:4:4 Chroma, not a lot of sets do this, so you will need to research that aspect.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask, I have had a 4k set since they first came out with a Sony 900a and have had 3 Panasonic 4k's (still have one of them), so I am pretty knowledgeable and been using them for a while.

Speaking of 4k, 4k WITH HDR is AMAZING. While the jump in resolution is great looking and I can easily see the difference, HDR is what really takes it to the next level.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Thanks for all the information! I think it's too much to let you install an app that shows the hardware information. I am interested in the performance of the hardware used, because of (like I said) Retroarch and perhaps even Kodi which would require good decoder chips and good performance for the interface.

Yeah, lol. For some reason, TV makers are hush hush on their chip designs. I will say though, it is the best scaler you will get in a TV hands down. 1080p content looks native like watching it on a 1080p set. PS4 gaming is just as crisp as my 1080p monitor was.

But there is a definite increase of detail in 4K video content.

I just picked up the Sony 940d 75" 4k Set that also has HDR and it is fantastic.

Until we know 100% that the PS4k (Neo) has a UHD Blu Ray player and that it will support HDR (which it should if it does UHD), I would wait on a 4k Set until you hear about details some more.

If you don't care about UHD Blu Ray, but still want a 4k set, just do your homework. There are a lot of 4k sets available and some are obvious better than others. If you have any intent on using a PC for PC gaming at 4k, you want to make sure that the 4k set you are buying has HDMI 2.0 and that the set is capable of doing 4k/60fps at 4:4:4 Chroma, not a lot of sets do this, so you will need to research that aspect.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask, I have had a 4k set since they first came out with a Sony 900a and have had 3 Panasonic 4k's (still have one of them), so I am pretty knowledgeable and been using them for a while.

Speaking of 4k, 4k WITH HDR is AMAZING. While the jump in resolution is great looking and I can easily see the difference, HDR is what really takes it to the next level.

Yep, good info here. I am glad Sony pretty much includes 4K/60 4:4:4 and HDMI 2.0 on all their 4K sets since the 2015 models (even the 'entry' 4K XBR's). Made the decision, and great price deal on mine that much easier to jump in. And their dejudder, etc., is always up there in top quality in all their sets as well. Something other assets seem to be hit or miss on.

Oh the Samsung JU 6400 can't do 4k/60fps at 4:4:4 Chroma and no HDR too. So it won't be good for PS4 Neo right?

It will still be good for the Neo. Do not expect many games, if any, in 4K/60fps (other than maybe some indie, or less graphically intensive games)... and HDR was not mentioned in the Neo yet... but that was also a dev unit with no UHD drive, if the retail has a UHD drive like most speculate, I would expect them to patch in HDR like Sony did with some 2015 sets this year.

Oh the Samsung JU 6400 can't do 4k/60fps at 4:4:4 Chroma and no HDR too. So it won't be good for PS4 Neo right?

spwolf

maybe it will make more sense by the time PS4 Neo releases... right now I can not get any content with 4K so I see no reason to get 4K TV, yet.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
choofed.gif

Do people actually think this thing will get near 4K with games?
1140p, which it will certainly be able to render at the same or better performance than the current PS4 renders 1080p, upscaled to 4K will look much better than 1080p looks upscaled to 4K. No need for condescension.

KiraXD

everyone is different... i personally think 50" and up is great... everyone saying you cant even tell on anything less than 55-60" are straight lying.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I can only comment on what I have with Android TV on a Sony. Mine is a 2015 model (made in January 2016), with the Lolipop 5.1.1 Android. It has been patched since the launch reviews, and runs very good with little to no issues. It's feature set of being able to have infinite picture settings (for every little mode, video/picture viewing/apps/OS level/etc.) is a huge plus for me as well a lot of other sets seem to lack. I also prefer using it for Netflix and the like over turning on the PS4, and I can't not wait for them to patch Vue into it.

So to me, I did not see any of the issues the complaints have had, but also, I adopted it well after patches and revisions.

Have to ask, since you have a 2015 Sony, is yours excessively dark during 3D playback? I have a 65'' X850C.

Top Bottom