• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Most underwhelming final bosses (Spoilers)

Uncharted series? Naughty Dog need to stop doing boss fights. TLOU doesn't have one and it's great.

Are you forgetting
David
? Not a final boss but still a boss. I agree with Uncharted though... Lazaravic is definitely up there with worst final bosses ever.

rekameohs

Banned
in my opinion, the games with the most underwhelming final bosses are the games that don't even have final bosses so mass effect 3, uncharted 3, and uncharted 4

whatever each of those games had at the end, i don't consider fucking any of them to be final bosses
I’d rather have Uncharted 3 and 4’s final bosses than Uncharted 2’s terrible one.

Uncharted 2's final boss > 3 and 4. In 2, at least you're actually jumping around, shooting, climbing, and you know, actually doing the things that the game is based around as a final test of your skill. It wasn't fantastic, but it's automatically better in my book better than not even trying. Uncharted 4 is not about swinging a sword around, do not make that the last thing I do in your game. If your final boss includes a tutorial, you're on a bad path.

Vanadium

The Joker.

Arkham Asylum. You basically just fight Bane over and over and over again in that game. I know people didn't like some of Arkham City, but there was just a lot more variety.

latest

Yeahhhhh. Too much hype.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
He isn't, the Soul of Cinder is.

People expect the DLC to be an expansion of the storyline - it isn't. Dark Souls 3 ended when you killed the Soul of Cinder, that's when you can start NG+, that's when you get one of three ending cutscenes. The DLC is able to be started from the Cathedral of the Deep for a reason.

Just as Manus is not the final boss of Dark Souls (Gwyn is), or Ivory King/Fume Knight/Sinh are not the final bosses of Dark Souls 2 (Nashandra is), Gael is not the final boss in DS3, nor is he the final boss of the Dark Souls franchise.

Thank you, not sure why Gael is being brought up so much.

To answer the thread, I would say King Allant in Demon's Souls (though that fight is intentionally underwhelming, designed so for story purposes) and Nashandra in Dark Souls II (an utterly mediocre boss).

Steroyd

Whatever the fuck happened at the end of Shadow of Mordor.

I don't know what pissed me off more the "stealth" section the "war" section or the actual "final battle" which was a QTE of one button press... You know what fuck it, it was the whole damn series of events from beginning to end and it retroactively soured my whole playthrough of the game as a waste of time (and I spend my free time playing video games all day eliciting that feeling out of me, holy fucking shit!) , I'm glad that the sequel is riddled with Microtransactions because it makes it beyond a shadow of a doubt that I won't go through that ride again.

Linkark07

Banned
Persona 4 true final boss. Magatsu Inaba boss and the new boss in Golden were way more interesting and had a better track than Izanami.

So far, from the modern Persona games, none of the final bosses have gotten a great track like Nyx.

Bastos

I absolutely LOVED Persona 5 but I have agree with you on that. Especially compare to SMTIV:A final boss. I beat Persona 5 final boss on my first try on hard difficulty.

the secret boss against
Caroline and Justine
was much more epic and interesting.
Loved it too, it’s my GOTY.

But I really wish that boss was at least more challenging :(

My Yoshitsune with Hassou Tobi wrecked it.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
The cheek of Uncharted 2's final boss still annoys me to this day. I can't believe they played that, put it next to the rest of the game and were like "yep, that's shippable".

So I was playing Fable 2 and I beat this flying rock thing and finally encounter what I assume is the end boss. He starts talking, blah blah blah, and so I wonder what happens if I shoot him in the dick. So I did, and that was the end.

Toxi

Banned
Bioshock Infinite's final encounter is a boring slog that tries to make up for it with a gimmick you never really get to make much use of.
The worst part is the game sets up a clear final boss who... You never get to actually fight.

c1d

+1 for Yu Yevon, which is strange considering you think they would have learned after Necron

For me, it's rare to find an epic final boss. Most are disappointing compared to the rest of the game.
What are you playing?

Link1110

The boss of celceta was very underwhelming too, but the final sequence before that was cool I guess
That boss felt like a troll

Of, you didn't like
having to use everybody
in ys seven? Ok, now you can
use only adol

Though the fight wound up feeling like that disk fight against sephiroth after a while game of epic full party boss fights

Supast4r

Seth in Street Fighter 4. We went from a super jacked tiger man in 1, to a drug baron with magic powers in 2 and Alpha, to fucking Jesus in 3, to... A mannequin that has no unique special moves? So disappointing.
Seth is a Bison clone....

exemp30

I would like to say
Ridley
in Metroid: Samus returns. This boss was way easier than the one you fight right before it, at least to me it was.

Ahasverus

Asylum's final boss is trash and you can't even come up with a defense for it. Though iirc, you never have arguments to back up your bad Arkham opinions.
I'm not defending Asylum lol, but at least it had a climax, unlike the trash that was Knight. That game is like somebody ate a Batman cake, digested it, vomited it out, and then built another cake with the vomit and black printer ink.

I'm not defending Asylum lol, but at least it had a climax, unlike the trash that was Knight. That game is like somebody ate a Batman cake, digested it, vomited it out, and then built another cake with the vomit and black printer ink.
You're defending Asylum in this post. If you stop having an aneurysm over Knight, we can maybe discuss the terrible finale of Asylum.

sn00zer

Time_Eater_after_losing_two_arms.png

This boss in Sonic Generations did not feel finished. At all.

Also for those who’ve played this far in the game:

“That looks like a homing shot”

This is a good one.... had quite literally no idea what the fuck was going on or what I was doing and then the game ended.

Ahasverus

You're defending Asylum in this post. If you stop having an aneurysm over Knight, we can maybe discuss the terrible finale of Asylum.
Asylum had a terrible final boss. Hell, the whole finale was horrible, the cutscene is not even 1 minute long if I recall correctly. Still, a very solid game that hasn't aged a day, and a love letter to the Batman mythos. Which can't be said about Knight, which was ashamed of being a Batman game.

Destiny 2's final boss is a total joke if u are playing in a fireteam

specially when u expect Gary to have a second form and the traveler just vaporizes him

SoulUnison

Banned
maxresdefault.jpg

Coming off of the first game's amazing final boss, Bayonetta 2's final boss was pretty underwhelming. He was adequate, but not particularly interesting or even hard to dodge.

Plus, that design...
They were going for otherworldly and esoteric-mystical, but they just landed in Dumb Town.

It was especially disappointing coming off of Wonderful 101. I heard that the devs were trying to one up each other with how over the top it gets, but W101 had much better bosses and a sense of escalation than Bayo 2.

I was pumped the entire game to see how they'd possibly trump the ridiculous final sections of Bayonetta 1, and... They didn't.
It's all thoroughly underwhelming and capped off by a sequence that's ripped directly from Bayo 1's climax, but on a far lesser and less satisfying scale.

Glad to see BOTW get mentioned a lot.

Played Master Mode for my 1st playthrough and was having a blast... but that final boss.

It was so bland and empty, I felt I must've missed something.

Hyrule Castle should've made it tougher and more interesting to get to Ganon. Calamity Ganon's health should've never been cut in half. (The powers you get from liberating the Divine Beasts are good enough.) And the Beast Ganon fight needed to be completely reworked.
I think they were just going for spectacle for the big pig after you fought spider mechanical Ganon or whatever it was.

Dark Souls 2. Very boring, easy and underwhelming compared to other bosses in the franchise. Even just compared to the other final bosses of ds1, 3, and BB. Beat it on the first try and was just like, "oh....."
Yeah nashandra was cool but no challenge. I think they intended for you to fight the watchers and nashandra in a row but even then it isn't that hard. She really needed a distance closing attack or two that forced you to deal with her more.

Top Bottom