• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Day-1 Hello World, the PS Vita already hacked? (EDIT: not exactly)

It is a hack that allows homebrew to run on Vita. Regardless of it being contained in an emulator wrapper, its still homebrew code running on the system.

How in the name of God's bollocks, by any sane interpretation, is actual homebrew code and hacks running PS Vita "not even close" to homebrew code and hacks running on PS Vita.

The paradox of logic is making me reach for the paracetamol.

uh, because VITA has not been hacked... It's a PSP hack... ANYTHING that runs a PSP emulator would be subject to this hack. You think that if I run a PSP emulator on my computer, and this hack works, my computer has been hacked? No, of course not... VITA itself (the hardware, firmware, OS, etc.) hasn't been hacked AT ALL. So, why don't you take your paracetamol and dwell on that until it sinks in...

Durante

Of course, given the homebrew guys have achieved this on day one, and as a company Sony pretty much painted themselves as hacking target number one, this could simply be the first step to blowing the whole system open.

I'd prefer they focussed on the 3DS personally as it needs to be region-free'd one way or another. But nonetheless I am very impressed with this.
It truly is a monumental achievement to take an existing binary and run it on a new, compatible, hardware platform.

Ok, so it can't run the N64 emulator since that needs access to the GPU.

But this means that it CAN run basic homebrews like Doom, Quake, Streets of Rage and the Super Nintendo, Sega Genesis and Gameboy Advance emulators, right?

If so, day one. And a brilliant bit of unintended protection against hacks to the Vita kernal itself actually.

The PS3 wasn't hacked until after Sony took out the Linux compatibility that hackers were using to run their Snes Emulators and Homebrew using.

I would venture to guess that many hackers are more interested in running their homebrew and the novelty of playing Super Mario on Sony hardware than they are in ripping off Vita games.

If Sony was smart, they would leave the PSP emulator hacks alone since it gives hackers what they want, to be able to run basic homebrew and play old school games on their Vita, without enabling piracy of Vita games. If Sony left OtherOS well enough alone in the PS3, the major hackers wouldn't have bothered to crack the system wide open to reenable their homebrew apps.

iceatcs

lol that would be funny. A 3DS emulator on the Vita. I guess you could hold it sideways to emulate the two screens? :p

Is there a 3DS game using double screen yet? (Not I mean 2D menu on the bottom while game on the top.
Hope it won't be lock down on Euro launch. I willing go to try to port all the Nintendo emulators. A portfolio for me.

LeleSocho

Banned
Fuck yessssssssss
Snes emulator that's all I want then for all i care they can stop all the hacking on the console
An handled who can run PSV, PSP, PS1 and SNES games... seriously why should I need more?

-KRS-

But this means that it CAN run basic homebrews like Doom, Quake, Streets of Rage and the Super Nintendo, Sega Genesis and Gameboy Advance emulators, right?

If so, day one. And a brilliant bit of unintended protection against hacks to the Vita kernal itself actually.

The PS3 wasn't hacked until after Sony took out the Linux compatibility that hackers were using to run their Snes Emulators and Homebrew using.

I would venture to guess that many hackers are more interested in running their homebrew and the novelty of playing Super Mario on Sony hardware than they are in ripping off Vita games.

If Sony was smart, they would leave the PSP emulator hacks alone since it gives hackers what they want, to be able to run basic homebrew and play old school games on their Vita, without enabling piracy of Vita games. If Sony left OtherOS well enough alone in the PS3, the major hackers wouldn't have bothered to crack the system wide open to reenable their homebrew apps.

I'm not too sure about this. Sure, for most homebrew the PSP level hardware would be fine. But for example people in the demoscene always want better hardware to run their homebrew demos on to have access to more advanced shaders and effects, so they would have the incentive to hack the PSV anyway. Though the demoscene doesn't do much hacking these days, so maybe Sony are safe for now. But someone will eventually want more power than a PSP to emulate other systems more efficiently. I think that's the strongest motivator for most of the homebrew scene to have better hardware; more power for emulators. At least when it comes to homebrew on game systems. There's just something about being able to say: "Yeah I'm totally running a Dreamcast emulator on my PSV."

2San

Just this is amazing it means we can play the games that are UMD only and aren't supported by the whole passport thing.

thcsquad

It is a hack that allows homebrew to run on Vita. Regardless of it being contained in an emulator wrapper, its still homebrew code running on the system.

How in the name of God's bollocks, by any sane interpretation, is actual homebrew code and hacks running PS Vita "not even close" to homebrew code and hacks running on PS Vita.

While this does allow homebrew PSP code on Vita (you'll have to define the term 'hacks' before I'll address it), it doesn't allow any more than what was allowed day 1 on PS3 through Linux. While 'homebrew on Vita' is indeed true, it's non-news because it was inevitable from the day they announced PSP backwards compatibility on Vita.

There's a world of difference between recreating PSP homebrew in a PSP emulator (something likely accepted by Sony in the earliest stages of design) and gaining access to Vita hardware, which, when and if it happens, will be the newsworthy event and problem for Sony.

This sounds great for people who don't want to use the shitty UMD transfer program. Would this give access to the PS1 emulator even though the Vita OS doesn't support it yet?

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Once again, how the code delivered is important. I mean I doubt its that simple to get an executable of any sort onto Vita?

test_account

XP-39C²

I guess that it can be defined like this, but i agree that the Vita isnt hacked before someone actually gets access to the Vita features itself. Personally i dont concider the 3DS hacked because DS homebrew work on it. I also didnt concider the PS3 hacked because PS2 homebrew worked on it (PS2 HD Loader works on the PS2 backward compability PS3s (or at least it worked before) without doing any modiciation to the PS3 code).

Limanima

That's so obvious that I doubt that Sony wouldn't be expecting this. The Vita was not hacked. Yet anyway... And I hope it doesn't get hacked. 3rd parties would run from it like the plague.

Being that most of us knew this was going to happen, just as we knew the DS cards were gonna be up and running on the 3DS in less than 24 hours, I think it's safe to say Sony knew it was going to happen as well.

The protections seem to be in place for Vita specific stuff. I don't see a feasible way for them to do PSP emulation without leaving a gaping hole for PSP exploits, and it seems they didn't either, but felt it was worth having as part of the package.

I would be surprised if Sony is 'shocked' by this and pulls the feature. But, then again, sony keeps finding ways to surprise people.

test_account

XP-39C²
While i agree to this, i dont think there is much help to it. It still wont remove the "hey, i got to run Linux on the Vita" reason. It also wont remove the reason of prestige of being the first to hack the system (this is probably one of the biggest reasons for hacks in the first place, and i feel that "running Linux" is somewhat of an excuse for this).

obonicus

You really should check what you reply to. He even bolded the claim 'PS Vita already hacked'. He even explained what he meant by saying it's confined to an emulator. It's far too early to say that the Vita has been hacked unless you want to stick to a pedantic definition of 'hacked'.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Also, you've got to think that by the time Vita gets released outside of Japan, they'll have updated the firmware to only accept PSP software packages signed with a new key - which shouldn't be an issue as they are the only official distribution source is PSN.

Interesting. If

1) This somehow allows me to run my umd-only PSP games and PSP emus on Vita

and

2) Sony does not instantly ban people for doing it

Then this would make Vita a day-1 for me since I'd be able to sell my PSP. Hopefully, Sony planned for this and feels like the PSP mode is sufficiently sandboxed and just takes a laissez-faire attitude to the whole thing. I don't care if the Vita itself is ever hacked if the PSP mode stuff works. In fact, this approach might make that less of a priority for the hackers.

This reminds me of the time I hacked my friends Facebook account. Can you believe he just left the computer logged in and I was like "HACKED BITCHES"

LOL FRIEND. LOL SONY

M3d10n

Because the homebrew is not running on the Vita, it's running inside a PSP emulator that is running in the Vita. Do you consider the 3DS "hacked" already just because you can run DS homebrew on it?

x3sphere

The thing is, they will have to find another way in to actually make this hack viable.

If the affected game was made public Sony could easily update it on the PS Store, before most people would even get a chance to download it.

Cruzader

Banned
Wow, 1st day hack.

So much for Sony learning their lesson with geohot's PS3 attack.

Also, Sony must be blind to let such trivial thing (unprotected PSP emulator) through.
Well it comes with PSP BC. Nothing Sony could do about it .

Anyways it was good having PSP BC. If this will go anywhere, it will get blocked off by Sony. Then we should lynch the hackers for screwing regular users again.

Cruzader

Banned

You could run emulators on the OtherOS already. But hackers are hackers and they want to run more than old ass games, sadly so they fucked that up and got it removed for everyone.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
So basically, I don't need my PSP anymore

I doubt opening up the Vita itself will prove to be that easy

dallow_bg

nods at old men
If these leads to me being able to play all my ripped UMD games, I'd be a very happy man.

Don't care if the Vita itself is hacked but would love access to my PSP games. Dat screen etc etc.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
So it isn't exactly hacked, but allows me to run CWCheat for my PSP1->PSP2 needs. That's... okay...?

But hackers are hackers and they want to run more than old ass games, sadly so they fucked that up and got it removed for everyone.

Punishing the whole class for one person's behavior is a bad way to behave as a teacher and an equally bad way to behave as a platform-holder. 100% of the feature removals on PS3 are the direct moral responsibility of Sony, not anyone else.

Luckily, I doubt this is going to go anywhere really threatening to Vita's security and I doubt very much Sony will engage in the sort of knee-jerk reaction they did last time around.

So you could run emulators through the emulator? Yo dawg...

12395842.jpg

You could run emulators on the OtherOS already. But hackers are hackers and they want to run more than old ass games, sadly so they fucked that up and got it removed for everyone.

Hackers that I know simply hack stuff for the challenge. Not for piracy, not for homebrew but simply to reverse engineer stuff. Once the challenge is done they move on to something else.

Punishing the whole class for one person's behavior is a bad way to behave as a teacher and an equally bad way to behave as a platform-holder. 100% of the feature removals on PS3 are the direct moral responsibility of Sony, not anyone else.

Luckily, I doubt this is going to go anywhere really threatening to Vita's security and I doubt very much Sony will engage in the sort of knee-jerk reaction they did last time around.

I still doubt it was knee jerk. They most likely say how people didn't use it much, polls and questionnaires indicated that most consumers didn't even know, then decided the feature itself wasn't worth saving because the exploit relied on the feed back of the Other operating system that was installed and Sony explicitly didn't support that. Probably as a backdoor. The PS3 wasn't their first console to run another OS. And it protecting interests is a totally different reasoning than the concept of punishing.

People forget that hacking to run homebrew can be good for you i.e. YouTube, screenshot application, Opera Mini etc. on the PSP. All great stuff that has 0% to do with piracy and emulation (piracy) of old games.

Takao

Banned
People forget that hacking to run homebrew can be good for you i.e. YouTube, screenshot application, Opera Mini etc. on the PSP. All great stuff that has 0% to do with piracy and emulation (piracy) of old games.

Okay, but the fact is that homebrew and custom firmware opens the door to piracy, which negatively affects those who bought the hardware for the reason it was advertised - to play games. I don't care about running an alternative internet browser on PSP if it means less games got made, or localized.

Okay, but the fact is that homebrew and custom firmware opens the door to piracy, which negatively affects those who bought the hardware for the reason it was advertised - to play games. I don't care about running an alternative internet browser on PSP if it means less games got made, or localized.

I care(d) cause the stock one is uber shit.

So I will have a better browser and all the UMD games I can buy while you will have the stock, shit browser and all the UMD games you can buy.

Guess who has it better?

Takao

Banned
I care(d) cause the stock one is uber shit.

So I will have a better browser and all the UMD games I can buy while you will have the stock, shit browser and all the UMD games you can buy.

Guess who has it better?

I didn't buy a PSP to go on the internet. I bought a PSP to play games, but thanks to piracy, legitimate consumers are being hurt as less and less gets made, or brought over from Japan due to non-existent software sales here.

Guess who loses in the end? All of us who decided to buy the platform to you know, play games.

angelfly

I didn't buy a PSP to go on the internet. I bought a PSP to play games, but thanks to piracy, legitimate consumers are being hurt as less and less gets made, or brought over from Japan due to non-existent software sales here.

Guess who loses in the end? All of us who decided to buy the platform to you know, play games.

There's piracy on all current gen consoles but that hasn't stopped games from being made. PSP still got plenty of exclusives despite widespread piracy and the same goes for DS.

Takao

Banned
There's piracy on all current gen consoles but that hasn't stopped games from being made. PSP still got plenty of exclusives despite widespread piracy and the same goes for DS.

But piracy was there on PSP within its first year, and required very little in terms of investment. Yes, a lot of PSP games were made, but how come there are some many great looking Japanese PSP games that won't get localized? Because PSP software doesn't sell. There's a variety of reasons for that, but one of them is piracy.

We've all seen the news stories where publishers and developers bad mouth the platform as a pirate's haven. Heck, I've seen the stories where people have compared a game's sales vs. a game's downloads and how often times one number dwarfs the other. In this thread I've mentioned how it's impossible to Google a PSP game, and not have "game xyz iso" show up as a suggested search term. If piracy existed in a much less widespread problem like it does on consoles, I don't doubt there would be more PSP games, both made, and localized. I'd much rather not have to go through this all over again on Vita.

Top Bottom