• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Boy Micro <3 Thread

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
i bought a sealed silver micro on ebay for $39 shipped. can't wait!

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
I wonder how many Micros this thread has sold? :lol

Anyway, I got one yesterday brand new for $45 and ordered a black faceplate from Nintendo. I've been playing Disney's Magical Quest and Game & Watch Gallery 4 on it. I love it, it's so cute and tech-sexy. My only gripe is that the screen has worse viewing angles than the DS and when the screen is all or mostly black, it looks horribly blotchy. Other than that the screen looks delicious!

I'm still banging my head trying to get a pink one from the UK.

dock

I just picked up Polarium Advance (loved the DS version) and my GBM is getting a lot of new love because of it.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
I also grabbed Activision Anthology and Dragon Ball Z II (<3 Trunks).

It was very sad getting my first GBA games without boxes and manuals, but what choice do I have at this point?

I think I might start a new character on Shining Soul II (aka Diablo II Animu Version), one of my absolute favorite GBA games and one that DESPERATELY needs DS iteration with WFC Online Play. Actually, that might be dangerous for my time and backlog now that I think about it.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
dock UK said:
I just picked up Polarium Advance (loved the DS version) and my GBM is getting a lot of new love because of it.
Polarium Advance is super-keen. One of my favorites for quick play sessions.

Vlad

Princess Skittles said:
I wonder how many Micros this thread has sold? :lol

<raises hand>

I've never really been all that into portable gaming, either. The only system I ever owned was a Lynx way back when it came out. Still, the Micro is just so damn snazzy looking that I couldn't resist hunting down a used one (couldn't find them new anywhere around here.

I figured that since the GBA is long dead, I could find all sorts of good deals on older games, but that doesn't seem to be the case, at least in the retail places. The games they have are all either stuff I'm not interested in (what the hell is Yugioh and why are there so many different games about it?), or stuff I'd want that's just WAY too expensive (it'd be nice to have a portable LttP, but not for $20).

Arturo

Princess Skittles said:
Those are freaking AMAZING pictures.

Could you take a picture of the pink GBM with the black faceplate and vice versa?

Here they are, Princess Skittles. It looks like the Gameboy Micro SG Edition… ;) I really like the pink one with the black faceplate.

Sorry for all the dust in the photos :(

p1010339zc3.jpg

p1010340fw0.jpg

p1010341yq5.jpg

p1010342la9.jpg

p1010343gp7.jpg

Cheers :)

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Yes, Nintendo sells the Black, Silver and Famicom faceplates on their site, $5 a pop, $5 shipping. It helps if you have something else you can add to the order so shipping doesn't match the whole cost of the the item (I grabbed 10 empty GameCube cases to replace gunky ones I've gotten from GameStop).

I think Game & Watch Gallery 4 might be the perfect game for this mini-wonder.

Pojo

Banned
I already have a micro, but this thread made me seek out and acquire a copy of Wario Land 4 and a black faceplate. Yay.

Just wanted to let people here know that the GS coupon of the week is an extra 20% off on GBA/DS/PSP games.

It stacks with the edge card (30% off total), so today I picked up:
Klonoa Empire of Dreams 4.19
Advance Wars 6.99
Castlevania Double Pack 11.89
Mega Man Battle Network 3 White 3.49
F-Zero Maximum Velocity 4.19

:D :D :D All of them look amazing on the Micro, specially Klonoa its awesome!!

(coupon can be found at CAG)

Princess Skittles said:
You have to be kidding me? I just bought FOUR games on Wednesday. :lol

Oh well, it was still under $20 or so.

If you got them used at GS, you can return/rebuy they have a 7 day return policy on used games

I ordered a Famicom version Micro from Play-Asia yesterday, it's gonna be awesome!

Any game recommendations? Right now I'm looking to pick up:

Zelda: Link to the Past (already got it)
Gradius Galaxies (found it for $5 at GS)
FF VI
Mario Advance (Mario 2)
Gunstar Super Heroes

You guys made me bust out my silver micro (using the blue wavy face plate). God, I love this thing.

Since I was late to the GBA party though, I don't have that many games (FFIV, FFTA, Advance Wars 2, maybe some lesser games). So, any suggestions for some seriously hardcore GBA games? FFVI looks good, and I've never played it. Any others?

And how is that Endless List of Masterful GBA Games Pleasuring Your Pocket thread coming? WANT!

GMB

Banned
Revengeance said:
You guys made me bust out my silver micro (using the blue wavy face plate). God, I love this thing.

Since I was late to the GBA party though, I don't have that many games (FFIV, FFTA, Advance Wars 2, maybe some lesser games). So, any suggestions for some seriously hardcore GBA games? FFVI looks good, and I've never played it. Any others?

And how is that Endless List of Masterful GBA Games Pleasuring Your Pocket thread coming? WANT!
I was wondering about this too. :D
I will probably get my micros home during the next week, need to be prepared with some awesome-o games. :)

Cuu

Revengeance said:

My list, I posted it in another thread before:
Advance Guardian Heroes
Advance Wars Series (2)***
Astro Boy: Omega Factor***
Boktai Series (2)
Car Battler Joe
Castlevania Series (3)
Classic NES Series (?)
CT Special Forces Series***
Donkey Kong Country Series (3)
Drill Dozer
Final Fantasy Series (4?)
Fire Emblem Series (2)***
Gekido Advance: Kintaro's Revenge
Golden Sun Series (2)***
Gunstar Super Heroes***
Klonoa Series (2)***

Konami Krazy Racers
KuruKuru series
Lady Sia
Legend of Zelda games(2)***
Lord of the Rings - The Two Towers (seriously, do not dismiss this game until you play it.)***

Mario Golf
Mario tennis***
Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
Mario vs. Donkey Kong
Megaman Battle Networks
Megaman Zero (2)
Metroid games (2)
Ninja 5-0***
Pokemon games(2)
River City Ransom EX
Riviera: The Promised Land
Rock 'n Roll Racing
Shining Soul II
Sonic Advance (2)
Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts
Super Mario Advance Series (3)***
Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo
Super Robot Taisen: Original Generation
Sword of Mana
Tactics Ogre: The Knights of Lodis
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater (probably not, but it's good if you like TH)
Wario Land
WarioWare games(2)***

The bolded star ones I definitely recommend. I'm sure I'm missing some, but I love these games.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Here's my sort of top five non-ports:

1. Metroid Zero Mission
2. Astro Boy: Omega Factor
3. Shining Soul II
4. Riviera: The Promised Land
5. Mario Golf Advance Tour

Arturo

Revengeance said:

We're working on it :) Just looking for good 1:1 screenshots of the games takes a lot of time :D Just give us a couple of days more, it will worth the wait ;)

Haruspex said:
These threads are why I joined GAF... enthusiasm!
If you haven't already you people should check out the bit Generations series of games, they are the perfect partner for a GB Micro, only on import though but I got the whole series pretty cheap on playasia.com a while ago. The boxes alone are small and sleek!
http://www.n-sider.com/newsview.php?type=story&storyid=2264

I love the bit Generations series, too. Take a look at the Bit Generations Official Homepage to see screenshots, music (grrrrrrreat music that's even better when using headphones) and gameplay movies. My favorites are dotstream and dialhex.

Here are some photographs of the really sleek packaging :p

bitgenerations03kk0.jpg

bitgenerations01yn5.jpg

bitgenerations02xx6.jpg

dotstream05lv7.jpg

dotstream08ik8.jpg

dotstream07es1.jpg

dotstream06jf3.jpg

dialhex03xn0.jpg

dialhex01iw9.jpg

boundish02cu2.jpg

boundish01gx5.jpg

coloris01gh9.jpg

coloris03uj2.jpg

digidrive03ve2.jpg

digidrive01ha3.jpg

orbital03hn6.jpg

orbital02or5.jpg

soundvoyager01fe4.jpg

soundvoyager03tw5.jpg

I had a 3 hour drive today (I wasn't driving) and my micro was there to save the day. It had the help of Ninja 5-0 and Drill Dozer to keep me happy. Truly the best portable system there is.

Burgundy

I actually ordered a spare blue micro from Play-Asia because of this thread since they are having a sale right now. Obligatory, "You Bastards." This will be my third micro because I'm paranoid about not having one available.

The Bit Generation games are very good. I have a bunch of them. Colouris is very good and I found Orbital to be oddly appealing to me. Dotstream is a very solid game overall as well.

The micro is by far the most perfect portable system I've ever owned. Long battery life, crisp screen, amazing game collection and non clicky button to allow for silent play when in a bathroom stall at work. ;) Shut up... you know you all do it.

Do I love my PSP and DS? Sure. But the micro has been my dream config for a portable since I started my portable addiction with the Atari Lynx. The ultra portability of the micro is just perfection... simple as that.

<3 bitGeneration love here.

Orbital is actually very addictive, and I swear, had more depth than any of the other games.

As a fun reference: The Wiki page never had picture, so I uploaded my collection of that set onto Wiki:
800px-Bit_Generations_Series.JPG

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Arturo said:
ok, i bought a micro and i'm ready to buy a couple of these.......but which two are the best ones to get? i know one of them will probably be dotstream, but are the puzzle games really substantial?

Oh man, I hate you guys every time I read this thread I want one. I can't decide over the all silver, all black, famicon or green with army faceplate... or if I need one at all !!! They need to make a next gen gameboy, something small like this but with more power. Shame the DS prints too much money for it to happen.

edit: in case I do buy one, does it have built in batteries? If so how do you charge (similar to SP or DS/DSlite cable)?

mattiewheels said:
ok, i bought a micro and i'm ready to buy a couple of these.......but which two are the best ones to get? i know one of them will probably be dotstream, but are the puzzle games really substantial?
I agree that Dialhex is probably the most entertaining (gameplay feels close to something like Lumines), whereas Dotstream is a really challenging Racing game that feels harder than F-Zero.

Personally I really enjoyed Orbital, and it's gravity based gameplay was very fun.

The three mentioned, are definitely worth their asking price.

Boundish, however, has to be the lamest one (varients of Pong is not fun)

I got them fairly cheap in Japan. So I had no problem getting all of the games. Should you import all? Hard to say.

nbcjr

Princess Skittles said:
OH MY GOD. I HYPERVENTILATE.

This is way too sexy for its own good. My desire for the Pink Micro just went into desperation mode. eBay UK, here I come. >_<

By the way, SG Edition?

i live in europe and I can send you one to the us. tell me what you think.

Banned
I don't need one of these AT ALL.

But i'm holding my credit card & sweating...

DAMN YOU GAF! Is there a homebrew scene on the GBA still or is it all DS now?

666 said:
I don't need one of these AT ALL.

But i'm holding my credit card & sweating...

DAMN YOU GAF! Is there a homebrew scene on the GBA still or is it all DS now?

It's probably all migrated to the DS by now. But playing GBA games on the DS sucks.

Flock

666 said:
So this is a better GBA player? How so?

Obviously its just so great for portability, i mean it really easily fits in your pocket. Then right there at any time you desire you have a god of 2D gaming.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
joelseph said:
Does every micro come with three faceplates? And if so, are they always the same color?
In North America, the newer units only come with one black/silver faceplate. The older packages came with three faceplates, but still only one primary color (the other two were colorful, patterned, and kind of ugly).

If you try to find a new/sealed Micro on eBay, for example, you're probably only going to find the newer units with one faceplate.

Ainaurdur

Mine came last week, but I was at the beach. So it wasn't until today that I had some time to play and admire.

2dalg28.jpg

The boost I need to get back to WarioLand 4, FFV, C:HoD and then C:AoS. Also trying to track down decently priced copies of Fire Emblem and FE:TSS.

JoeMartin

Is Play-Asia the only place I can get bit Generations games? I'm really interested in picking them up, but they only have Boundish in-stock.

Baconbitz said:
Convince me on why I should buy one.

I have a DS and a GBA SP for older games and GBA games. So why should I buy a micro?

You can keep it in your pocket without it looking like you have a boner.

Damn you all. Had to buy. And for some reason felt compelled to buy two of 'em. And now I feel stupid cause I just ordered two silver ones and you would think if I bought two I would at least get different colors. For some reason I thought it wasn't region-free either. I never think when I buy stuff. :(

Edit: Also, Drill Dozer is $8.99 at Amazon. You have no excuse. Go buy this.

Top Bottom