• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

clav

Something I noticed recently.

Outside of Nexus phones, only Samsung flagships since S6's release update monthly.

The rest like LG, Motorola, and HTC only update when a big release pushes out (OS name change). Smaller brands don't push updates at all.

Otherwise, Cyanogenmod support is the only other method of relying on monthly updates.

kharma45

Outside of Nexus phones, only Samsung flagships since S6's release update monthly.

The rest like LG, Motorola, and HTC only update when a big release pushes out (OS name change). Smaller brands don't push updates at all.

Otherwise, Cyanogenmod support is the only other method of relying on monthly updates.

Funny you say that, LG is pushing the April security update to the G4.

kharma45

Source? Last time updated says February.

I haven't seen the G5 get anything yet.
Rc8vGSS.jpg

rLCAd0T.jpg

https://www.reddit.com/r/lgg4/comments/4jaggl/anybody_got_v20e_update_or_im_the_coolest/

Toki767

My S7 on AT&T has May's update amazingly.

Seems like only a matter of time before carriers drop the ball on monthly updates though.

Hasney

Doesn't Google post images for those updates?

https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/ota

Also Google maintains an AOSP page for guidelines on updating. Really helps out the Cyanogenmod team.

https://source.android.com/security/bulletin/index.html

Google is going to even out up the OTA links for updates of Nexus lines in the future instead of just factory images just not sure if that's for security updates as well

Right, but "everyone should be on May" on the 15th is kind of dumb when anything in there could break something on a changed ROM and Google doesn't even push their own shit out properly. My factory unlocked Nexus 6P still waiting for that May update. With all the custom software and carrier bullshit the manufacturers have to put up with, I'm amazed they're even on April.

clav

You said Nexus 6P, so I thought you were talking about Nexus phones.

As for non-Nexus phones, that's the manufacturers fault although I complimented Samsung for keeping up with updates.

I still don't like them for removing the battery replacement feature. At least make it easy like Apple has done to its iPhones.

My phone has the latest updates thanks to Cyanogenmod. I don't understand why Android has to be like this though.

On my 5.0.1 Android tablet and 5.1.1 Galaxy S6, whenever I click a YouTube or external app link, it goes to the mobile site in my browser instead of opening the external app like it used to. I tried multiple browsers and resetting default apps on both devices. What else can I try? I'll provide more information if needed.

Edit: Ignore what was posted here before. Other people are having the full screen ad issue, according to another thread.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Speaking of that May Update.....

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/05/15/some-pixel-c-owners-are-reporting-random-reboots-after-the-may-over-the-air-update/

Google's commitment to Android in the form of monthly updates for its own branded hardware is pretty great... until it's not. That's the case with the May security and stability update for the top-of-the-line Pixel C tablet, which has created some serious headaches for owners. Some (but by no means all) owners of the Pixel C are reporting more or less random reboots of the tablet, usually occurring every five to thirty minutes when the Pixel C is off its charger.

#Google'd

Right, but "everyone should be on May" on the 15th is kind of dumb when anything in there could break something on a changed ROM and Google doesn't even push their own shit out properly. My factory unlocked Nexus 6P still waiting for that May update. With all the custom software and carrier bullshit the manufacturers have to put up with, I'm amazed they're even on April.
Oddly enough my n7 got it on the 4th and it's usually way late compared to the 6p

The above my be why it's being held

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
The may update has been fine for me. His bootloader was unlocked when he did the ota which Google has been warning to keep locked on Nexus devices for a while now. Unlock > Flash > Lock
LOL journalism

You guys think Android Pay will ever be supported by smaller, local banks? Or only the big guys?

I switched from Capital One to a local bank that has most of the major features of big banks (mobile deposit, etc.) right before Android Pay became a thing. Google Wallet supports my Visa debit card, but Android Pay does not. =(

And I can get $10 in Uber credit if I start paying with AP.

Hasney

I'm waking up to my Pixel C asking for the startup password since the May update. Don't know if it makes a difference, but it's shut face down on the keyboard to charge that while plugged in overnight.

It never seems to randomly reboot when I'm actually using it or during the day, just while on charge overnight, so it's the most minor of annoyances.

Ok, I brought this over from the previous thread. Hopefully you get to see them here. I have absolutely no regrets about my new phone purchase or the companion smart watch. I find that the apps that the integration of app notification is pleasant and allows me to decide when I actually need to go to my phone to handle something.

I haven't really delved much into the gestures or other aspects of the smart watch but I do love the customization, the use of OK Google making me look like an international spy and simply how stylish it looks. If you have any specific questions I suppose I could answer better? Let me know.

I have had a few smart watches and fitness trackers. LG Watch R, Sony Smartwatch 3, Fitbit Surge, Fitbit Blaze, and have finally settled on a Withings Activite Pop.

My opinion of smart watches were that they just aren't ready for what we want, although I'm not even sure of what I want from them. The battery life would be about 2 days on them both including the SW3 when using GPS. Added bonus was the fact it was waterproof. But for functionality, well it was kinda pointless at the time. This may have improved with updates to Android Wear. In the end, both watches developed faults resulting in hard locks that caused the device to just heat up and be unable to reset, leaving myself to wait for the battery to die.

Regarding the fitness watches, both were good, but again the charging once every 4-5 days become tiresome. I don't mind a phone, but I don't really want to be putting a watch down on my desk, I want to be wearing it. I ended up settling with the Withings as it comes with an estimated 8 month battery life, it's water proof, something the Fitbits aren't and it still tracks my sleep and steps. It's not flash, but it easily passes as a normal watch, I actually got it for free via Withings and I'm already thinking about upgrading to either the Steel or the top line Activité

Quasar

I have had a few smart watches and fitness trackers. LG Watch R, Sony Smartwatch 3, Fitbit Surge, Fitbit Blaze, and have finally settled on a Withings Activite Pop.

My opinion of smart watches were that they just aren't ready for what we want, although I'm not even sure of what I want from them. The battery life would be about 2 days on them both including the SW3 when using GPS. Added bonus was the fact it was waterproof. But for functionality, well it was kinda pointless at the time. This may have improved with updates to Android Wear. In the end, both watches developed faults resulting in hard locks that caused the device to just heat up and be unable to reset, leaving myself to wait for the battery to die.

Regarding the fitness watches, both were good, but again the charging once every 4-5 days become tiresome. I don't mind a phone, but I don't really want to be putting a watch down on my desk, I want to be wearing it. I ended up settling with the Withings as it comes with an estimated 8 month battery life, it's water proof, something the Fitbits aren't and it still tracks my sleep and steps. It's not flash, but it easily passes as a normal watch, I actually got it for free via Withings and I'm already thinking about upgrading to either the Steel or the top line Activité

Speaking of...I bought my first wearable the weekend, a garmin vivoactive hr. Its a fitness gps watch with a little bit of smart (notifications, music control and a store for watchfaces and a few other things). I wish I could have bought a proper smartwatch, but simply the featureset isnt there yet and daily recharges would be insane. Probably my gripes so far are:

Proprietary interface to charge it rather than microusb
The hassle of data being siloed and hassles getting all the apps I want access to said data.

Quasar

Dat standalone Android VR Headset though. Being just a standalone device makes it the most compelling VR headset so far.

Well that depends on how shit it is when it comes to vr. I'm not xpectng much better than cardboard with a 5x powering it. Even that might be generous.

jetsetrez

Man where the hell is This American Life in GPM podcasts? It has everything else I listen to. I'd really like to consolidate another app, but I need TAL.

Asgaro

Knowing NeoGAF is mostly a US based audience
("We need to build a wall" - Evilore)
and Sony having shitty presence there, I feel like the drunk man living in the streets preaching about religion, but anyways...

Sony has a 'Sony Concept ROM' which they keep updated (OTA supported). Currently it has the April security updates.

On top of that, Sony tries to stay as close to stock as possible. While adding useful enhancements: note the battery percentage icon being way more readibly than the shitty stock battery percentage.

If you want to read up on it: Sony's Marshmallow Concept shows how Android should be in 2016
Quotes:
Meaningful differentiation, speedy performance and fast-moving updates.
A fast-moving yet surprisingly-stable software track for power users.
The Xperia Z3 on the Marshmallow Concept firmware is probably the fastest Android phone I've used.
Nowhere has Sony seen fit to reinvent the wheel, and that's great.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
If you're looking to buy a new phone, the first question out of your mouth should be: Can it play Hearthstone?

Chorazin

I'm waking up to my Pixel C asking for the startup password since the May update. Don't know if it makes a difference, but it's shut face down on the keyboard to charge that while plugged in overnight.

It never seems to randomly reboot when I'm actually using it or during the day, just while on charge overnight, so it's the most minor of annoyances.

I'm noticing that as well, and mine's not attached to the keyboard. Seems to happen once or twice a week.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Dat standalone Android VR Headset though. Being just a standalone device makes it the most compelling VR headset so far.

It's nice in that everything being built in should all for a better viewing experience, and the addons like the sensors and shit should be better.

You're fucked in that the hardware can't be upgraded though. So if it's underpowered Meek doge hardware you're fucked. The only thing you could do is buy next year's headset with better internals.

Smh at you jabronis still bumping the old thread.

I can't blame them. Some people only browse their subscriptions instead of the individual forums (much less the community ghettos) and just dumping a link without any indication that it's a new thread and not PMing a mod to close the old thread does that.

I don't know why anyone bought a phone with the 810 to begin with.

No kidding, 2015 phones were a skip year. It was hard to even recommend the S6 even without a qualcomm because the battery life was so bad. That's why I went cheap with the 5x.

2016 is shaping up much better. Anyone with an 810 should sell it off and upgrade asap. Those 2015 qualcomm phones are not going to last with that weak single threaded performance and thermal issues. My coworkers 6p just kicked the bucket even. Wouldn't be surprised if it was do to the constant thermal issues.

Toki767

I traded in my S6 for an S7 over the weekend thanks to AT&T Next. The S7 is kind of amazing. Was getting 5 hours of SOT thanks to Doze.

clav

If you're looking to buy a new phone, the first question out of your mouth should be: Can it play Hearthstone?

Hearthstone doesn't require much. ~ 250 MB of RAM when running.

My current phone can play it.

Even those $40-$50 Amazon Fire tablets with MediaTek SoCs can play it.

Knowing NeoGAF is mostly a US based audience and Sony having shitty presence there, I feel like the drunk man living in the streets preaching about religion, but anyways...

Sony has a 'Sony Concept ROM' which they keep updated (OTA supported). Currently it has the April security updates.

On top of that, Sony tries to stay as close to stock as possible. While adding useful enhancements: note the battery percentage icon being way more readibly than the shitty stock battery percentage.

Really sucks how Sony signed a contract with Verizon.

I remember saying something about how devs should follow Sony in terms of Android development by releasing drivers publicly.

Keeping everything closed source doesn't help post launch support.

Some of us still remain skeptical at how long support will last.

Removing the article link because I don't see it screenshotting dev pages. Taking pictures of apps is not what updates are all about.

Article should screenshot and talk about this in depth: http://developer.sonymobile.com/kno...e/open-devices/list-of-devices-and-resources/

clav

It talked more about "feelings" and how the ROM looks stock.

I get that, but I don't think my message was about looking like stock. Anyone can write the above, too, including ourselves. No one wants to write about the difficult part and actually understanding the update process with some logical technical reasons.

The fact Samsung mostly has started updating frequently surprised me.

Top Bottom