• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 8: Journey of the Cursed King (3DS) |OT| Cor Blimey!

Ohnonono

Pre-Ordered this today. Can't wait to pick it up tomorrow and get started. I have been waiting a long time to play this game.

B00TE

Waiting on UPS, gonna be torn between this and GR2 for a bit today. Can't wait to go back through the game and take it with me.

Just a PSA for everyone... I was very worried about the graphics and the audio quality watching the trailers on my computer... And by some kind of magic... it's really different on the actual 3DS. Audio definitely does not sound as compressed, and graphics also look good in motion.

Maybe simply because running on the intended hardware.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Really looking forward to this with all those enhancements. Apologies to hardcore I-VII and IX Dragon Quest fans, but VIII is way more special.

Just a PSA for everyone... I was very worried about the graphics and the audio quality watching the trailers on my computer... And by some kind of magic... it's really different on the actual 3DS. Audio definitely does not sound as compressed, and graphics also look good in motion.

Maybe simply because running on the intended hardware.
This has been the case with 3DS previews and screenshots since day 1. :p
When still, games are ugly as sin.

B00TE

Got my copy along with GR2, playing that first. But DQ8 is primed and ready to go tonight! Absolutely love the cover art, glad I got a physical copy.

Scrawnton

Just one more work day until my game is unlocked and ready to play. So excited to let this game carry me off to Switch-ville.

Was gonna grab this at the store, but went ahead and pre-ordered it online cause of that Prime discount.

Really excited and pumped up for this
but lmao haven't even started DQVII yet, and still working on finishing DQIX

I really, really hope SE sees how as fans we're supporting the series in the west. I have no doubt we'll get DQXI, but .... dare I hope maybe we'll see DQX in some form?

Arguably 5 can be considered as good if not better(story and narrative), but I certainly would rank 8 near the top.

Really looking forward to this with all those enhancements. Apologies to hardcore I-VII and IX Dragon Quest fans, but VIII is way more special.

VIII & V are the two in the series with grand, epic, non-episodic stories right? Or was it VI too? Which one's the one that has a plot that spans multiple generations?

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
5 is the one that spans generations.
7 and 9 are the notably episodic games in the series, not that it's a detriment at all.

VII was really just insane. Quite possibly the longest JRPG ever made, yet it's made up almost entirely made up of side stories. The pacing is unique; the PS1 version with the puzzle dungeon and sheer amount of time until your first battle even moreso. You either love it or hate it.

DQVIII is much less of an acquired taste.

Yeah I really don't know how Nintendo handles stuff like this.

Can some one please answer. :)

Nintendo is publishing, so if you prefer digital, it will release on the eShop at midnight for sure. Not sure if third-party published titles ever operate differently, but you'll be fine.

Kadin

Will I be able to play Dragon Quest 8 at midnight if I buy it from Nintendo online store?

I kinda have the same question , usually the eshop updates on tuesday, but the launch is on friday

Yeah I really don't know how Nintendo handles stuff like this.

Can some one please answer. :)

In the past, most titles like this have been available to play at 9PM PT which is roughly 7.5hrs from now if purchased through the eShop.

VII was really just insane. Quite possibly the longest JRPG ever made, yet it's made up almost entirely made up of side stories. The pacing is unique; the PS1 version with the puzzle dungeon and sheer amount of time until your first battle even moreso. You either love it or hate it.

DQVIII is much less of an acquired taste.
I agree! 8 is definitely much more accessible since it's closer I think to most westerner's idea of A JRPG. Doesn't hurt that it's fantastic to boot!

IV and VI have epic stories!

IV is episodic though. "Chapters of the Chosen"

In my opinion, Dragon Quest I-III can almost be treated as one game with multiple generations, but each stands alone nicely. IV is one of my favorites, and V, VI, VII all have very devoted advocates, so I'll leave praise singing up to them. IX is usually the overlooked entry, even though it moved a ton of units.

VIII is probably the strongest standalone entry that isn't episodic, if you're looking through a lens that places a lot of importance on a more modern/Western game.

Still waiting for the UPS guy. :(

He showed while I was writing this post!

Ray Down

Banned
Thanks for the answers guys :)

Okay now I'm wondering this game adds some cut scenes
Dhoulmagus gets some cut scenes I'm wondering how do you unlock them.

Dakhil

Dragon Quest VIII hasn't shipped yet either for me. I imagine Amazon will probably start shipping my copy later tonight.

kng3025

Got my copy a day early! Thanks Best Buy!

I have never played DQ8 so I am definitely excited to start this adventure.

Freaking Worst Buy disappointed me. Got an email and text from them stating that my order was ready for pick up, which was a nice surprise. Bolted there after class, got the game in hand, but the cashier was having issues with the register.. He tried to call a manager to sort out the issue, but it turned out that he couldn't give me the game until tomorrow.. Wouldn't have been an issue as I was planning on picking up tomorrow anyway, but getting an email and text saying that I could pick it up today only to have the game physically in hand, then told "nope" was some epic trolling..

Lucreto

Mine from Amazon UK has shipped at 4.30 this afternoon but it will arrive Saturday. I don't receive post on a Saturday.

Does this game have less back and forth backtracking than DQ VII? I stopped playing VII because of it. I really liked the game otherwise. It has that old school JRPG charm that I like and miss in today's JRPGs. I'm thinking of buying this one but if it's as backtracking heavy as VII I wouldn't finish it either.

Does this game have less back and forth backtracking than DQ VII? I stopped playing VII because of it. I really liked the game otherwise. It has that old school JRPG charm that I like and miss in today's JRPGs. I'm thinking of buying this one but if it's as backtracking heavy as VII I wouldn't finish it either.

Very little

jackdoe

I should be playing this right now, but UPS somehow decided to ship my package to a different state after arriving at my local distribution center.

Zesh

Can't wait to play this tomorrow. Played the PS2 version many years ago and loved it; excited to play it again with the new features.

One work day to go.

kadotsu

Banned

Some, but with this release you can dodge encounters, which cuts down on the backtracking time considerably.

Some, but with this release you can dodge encounters, which cuts down on the backtracking time considerably.
Yep, unlike VII, this game's dungeon corridors and world maps are more spacious. It is much easier to dodge enemies, especially since many of the monsters have proper pathing. I still wound up two more levels higher than I usually do at the same point in the PS2 version (at the first boss). Battles are very quick with the speed on high and being able to fight only the high exp/gold enemies is too tempting. Also, you can get Zoom/Evac very quickly. Level 4 or 5?

I haven't had much of a problem with loading speed either. Did they narrow it down some or am I imagining things because I have Dragon Quest fever? Or is it something that'll get worse as the enemies and my party gain in complexity?

Also, the UI is miles smoother than VII, for those who were worried about that.

boooga

Neo Member
Got my copy today (!), and for those wondering, you can turn the voices off of you want to (but why on earth would you?).

Looks really nice in person btw! Can't wait to see some of the new content—DQ8 is one of my favorite JRPGs of all time.

dwix

Pre-ordered this on the eShop yesterday! I've never played a Dragon Quest game and always wanted to play VIII back in the day -- can't wait.

Finally shipped. I cannot wait to finally play through this. I quit a couple hours in back when it was released. I was a bit busy when it was initially released with a new born.

Aeana

I was wondering if they'd record new voices for the parts that were voiced in the Japanese version but not in the original NA version. Looks like they did. Guy on top of the waterfall cave has a voice too!

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Got this today. Loving it, but boy does the soundtrack quality make a big difference. I miss the orchestrated OST. :(

Also, the UI is miles smoother than VII, for those who were worried about that.
Can confirm, UI is much smoother to use.

Dakhil

I was wondering if they'd record new voices for the parts that were voiced in the Japanese version but not in the original NA version. Looks like they did. Guy on top of the waterfall cave has a voice too!

Edit: Woops. I didn't read the comment carefully. My bad!

Top Bottom