• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Attorney Community Thread - MUNCHMUNCHMUNCHMUNCHMUNCH

FluxWaveZ

Klavier's definitely the weakest prosecutor in the series. Dude sucks. For me, no one's really achieved the level of Manfred again.

That DGS prosecutor looks cool. But I wouldn't know for sure.

I don't know, I didn't dislike Sad Monk as much as the rest of ya.
wtzgU.gif

He was pretty boring and one-dimensional, but I still feel like Klavier is weakest in the series.

Yeah, Klavier spent a whole lot of time doing nothing. Sad Monk at least felt like a threat.

Klavier's definitely the weakest prosecutor in the series. Dude sucks. For me, no one's really achieved the level of Manfred again.

I have to disagree. One thing that really bothers me about Nahyuta is that he doesn't ever try to truly engage you in a battle of wits. He's more about insulting you and basically telling you to shut up, and he came across as completely impotent because of it.

Another thing that rubs me the wrong way about him is about how fake he is. He's not nearly as competent as the characters in the game would have you believe, and his "mysterious power of foresight" amounted to absolutely nothing.

With Klavier, you at least knew what you were getting from the onset: a laid back but fair prosecutor, and that's exactly how he is from beginning to end. It was kinda refreshing in that sense, since we haven't had a prosecutor like him in the series. Nahyuta was just a whole bag of hot air with completely undeserved qualifications and he comes off worse for it.

To put it simply, while I'm indifferent to Klavier's presence, I never wanna see Nahyuta ever again. AA6 is great despite of him.

Klavier >>> Nahyuta

Klav should probably become a defense lawyer instead, and just ask Apollo out on a damn date or something, but he's actually enjoyable to interact with.

Nahyuta has 20 minute butterflies, broken beads, and some of the worst justification for still feckless actions in the series to date.

spiritfox

Yeah, I think sad monk is the worst prosecutor of the series. Even though Klavier is an easy opponent, he's a likeable character. Nayuta's just a pain.

Groof

The only memorable thing about Nahyuta was that he had a pretty decent theme song. Waste of a character otherwise

PK Gaming

Nahyuta is extremely repetitive and basic, with a sob story that doesn't impress and he becomes progresively more grating as the game goes along. He also has like, every worst prosecutor trait in the series. Klavier was a huge step down from previous prosecutors, and he barely had any aggression but the select few moments when he turned up the heat were great.

klavier-guitars.gif

I just wish the writing behind the character stronger. He could have been really good.

FluxWaveZ

I have to disagree. One thing that really bothers me about Nahyuta is that he doesn't ever try to truly engage you in a battle of wits. He's more about insulting you and basically telling you to shut up, and he came across as completely impotent because of it.

Another thing that rubs me the wrong way about him is about how fake he is. He's not nearly as competent as the characters in the game would have you believe, and his "mysterious power of foresight" amounted to absolutely nothing.

With Klavier, you at least knew what you were getting from the onset: a laid back but fair prosecutor, and that's exactly how he is from beginning to end. It was kinda refreshing in that sense, since we haven't had a prosecutor like him in the series. Nahyuta was just a whole bag of hot air with completely undeserved qualifications and he comes off worse for it.

To put it simply, while I'm indifferent to Klavier's presence, I never wanna see Nahyuta ever again. AA6 is great despite of him.

I can kinda agree with this, but I don't need a laid back, buddy prosecutor. The only real antagonistic flair Klavier had was making fun of Apollo's forehead, and I wasn't really too into that. At least Nahyuta acts like he hates your guts which, as superficial as it may be, at least goes closer to the dynamic I want in the courtroom. Even after AA1, Phoenix vs. Edgeworth is some good stuff. Miles makes for a compelling opponent, even if he ultimately wants the same thing Wright does. Klavier just annoyed me.

I just really want a prosecutor who is actually awesome, and doesn't simply make childish jabs at the defense all the time, but actually feels like a real, genuine threat.

(AA6 SPOILERS):
Really wish they could have pulled off Wright as a prosecutor better. It was really cool, but still lacking due to the circumstances he was put in. If he had been on the opposing side because there was an actual clash of beliefs going on, that could have been really magical.

GSR

I'll go to bat for Klavier. He's definitely a bit too passive at times, and he definitely lacks the bite of some of the other prosecutors, but there are moments where he shines through his seeming passivity - like when he lets Apollo, Ema, and Trucy spend the first court day of 4-3 under the impression that
Machi is blind and can't speak English
, or of course
the flashback case with him and Phoenix
. I get the sense that he's capable of lot more cunning than he lets on. I also think his being an ally of sorts to Apollo was meant to play into AA4's broader sense of taking the AA standards and world and distorting them a bit from what the player would expect.

My real Klavier hill I'll die on is Klavier should have been the prosecutor of AA5's DLC case. Given his desire to seek the truth and his tendency to think several steps ahead, I can easily see
him suspecting Sasha from the start, same as Blackquill
, and he could've taken the case as a favor to Apollo after no other prosecutor would, thinking it would be a good opportunity to get to the bottom of things and all too happy to let Phoenix walk into the same end-of-day-1 trap Blackquill does. We also would have had
Phoenix's first case back be against the man who got him wrongly disbarred
, which could've had some meaty opportunities for character work. And hell, from a business perspective, Capcom gets to market "DLC case with a special prosecutor".

van Zieks is... alright. He's a bit like Klavier in that he doesn't freak out nearly as much as most of the prosecutors and he does honestly want to find the truth, but he's much more serious overall and more aggressive in pursuing Ryuunosuke's clients. He's also got some great animation gags. But like a lot of DGS, they punted much of his backstory to the sequel, so he winds up feeling underbaked even though there was the potential for DGS1 to examine a dynamic between him and Ryuunosuke that the series doesn't often address. (Going into more detail would be DGS spoilers unfortunately.)

(AA6 SPOILERS):
Really wish they could have pulled off Wright as a prosecutor better. It was really cool, but still lacking due to the circumstances he was put in. If he had been on the opposing side because there was an actual clash of beliefs going on, that could have been really magical.

Yeah, agreed. I mean, they kind of put themselves between a rock and a hard place with that one;
I think you could tell a story where, as Apollo, you prove that Phoenix's client (who he honestly believes in) is guilty, and it could be a pretty good showcase of two of the series' themes ("always trust in your client" - generally Phoenix's gig - vs. "always seek the truth" - generally Apollo's). But you'd have to spend time setting up this fall for Phoenix and then dealing with the aftermath. There just wasn't time for that in AA6, because it had to get back to international conspiracies.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Hi guys, I've only played the first game but was wondering if the games ever had you defend someone that was obviously guilty and evil.

I finally decided to finish the DLC case of AA6, I was about an hour from finishing anyway it seems.

Safe to say, the nearly 10 month gap between starting and finishing it tells you that I wasn't particularly enthralled.

GSR

AA6-DLC feels like AA madlibs. Edgeworth's prosecuting! Maya and Larry are there! Something seemingly impossible is the basis of the crime!
Bishie villain who reveals his true form when cornered! Tragic accident a few years ago!

I realize they were going for a trilogy throwback, but it was a bit much, lol.

AA6-DLC feels like AA madlibs. Edgeworth's prosecuting! Maya and Larry are there! Something seemingly impossible is the basis of the crime!
Bishie villain who reveals his true form when cornered! Tragic accident a few years ago!

I realize they were going for a trilogy throwback, but it was a bit much, lol.

Oh I completely forgot about that case. Complete yawn-fest. Not good playing that after AA6's heart-pounding final case.

Dantero

Hey guys,
I'm currently playing through the ace attorney trilogy and the new layton game cause I'm in the mood for the whole detective/mystery solving thing.
Played through zero escape, dangan ronpa and tried sherlock holmes. Not really sure what else there is, any recommendations?

Golnei

Hey guys,
I'm currently playing through the ace attorney trilogy and the new layton game cause I'm in the mood for the whole detective/mystery solving thing.
Played through zero escape, dangan ronpa and tried sherlock holmes. Not really sure what else there is, any recommendations?

Definitely try Ghost Trick if you enjoy Ace Attorney, it's from the same writer as the original trilogy with a similarly eccentric cast, but more of an emphasis on puzzles and focus on a central overarching plotline.

Dantero

Definitely try Ghost Trick if you enjoy Ace Attorney, it's from the same writer as the original trilogy with a similarly eccentric cast, but more of an emphasis on puzzles and focus on a central overarching plotline.

Oh right, I never got around to that, cause I don't have a DS and no iOS. I wish Nintendo would put DS games on the 3ds e-shop : /

The only thing I really liked about the DLC case was how vicious Wright and Edgeworth taunt each other in the first trial. Hearing the way they talk to each other you wouldn't even think they are friends.

FluxWaveZ

Just listened to one of the DGS2 Objection tracks for the first time. I haven't listened to pretty much any of the DGS series OST outside of what's been in trailers and the 1 and 2 objection tracks, but I bet these games have good music.

Knowing nothing about the story, I bet there'll also be a third game we won't get. Fucking hell.

I have good faith that if the DGS games aren't localized by Capcom that the great fan community will do it and do it on par than the regular games, like AAI2. It will take time though.

GSR

I have good faith that if the DGS games aren't localized by Capcom that the great fan community will do it and do it on par than the regular games, like AAI2. It will take time though.

Well, the patch for the first case of DGS1 is already out and pretty solid, so the future is looking bright.

DGS2 has been solid so far, though you can tell Takumi had to squish two games into one, lol.

I just got Trilogy at the current EU eshop sale, since I wanted to play 1 and 2 in english (3 was released long after Apollo Justice and I ended grabbing the NA version). The original DS release for EU was into an EN / FR version and another with spanish, italian and german, which weren't exactly great translations.

The thing is, how do you feel about the new visuals? The GBA / DS felt nice and left a lot for imagination, but this one looks like straight out artwork. Dated artwork, tbh. I'm sure I can get used to it, but that new face of the judge... Also, have the backgrounds been cropped? They are giving me a "zoomed" feeling.

I just got Trilogy at the current EU eshop sale, since I wanted to play 1 and 2 in english (3 was released long after Apollo Justice and I ended grabbing the NA version). The original DS release for EU was into an EN / FR version and another with spanish, italian and german, which weren't exactly great translations.

The thing is, how do you feel about the new visuals? The GBA / DS felt nice and left a lot for imagination, but this one looks like straight out artwork. Dated artwork, tbh. I'm sure I can get used to it, but that new face of the judge... Also, have the backgrounds been cropped? They are giving me a "zoomed" feeling.

The new artwork is fine for the most part, but the animation of the original sprites is still way better. It's not nearly as bad as the iOS port, though.

You're also imagining things when it comes to the background. It wouldn't make sense since you need to explore every inch when examining. It's the best update about the trilogy collection, in my opinion.

Menitta

Finally getting back to AA6. Im on case 3. Nahyuta is the worst prosecutor in the series. He just insults you. I was told that he comes around, but I can't see him not being the worst one to me. It also doesn't help that I find the Spirit medium stuff in this series interesting on its own and that's like one of the main aspects of this entry. Still enjoying the game though.

Edit: oh my god I thought Klavier was the prosecutor of case 4. It's Yuty. I'm so disappointed.

Just Started Spirit of Justice , Funny Story is that I have an IPad which I played all of AA titles on it ( Except for Apollo Justice ) and I was going to buy a 3DS especially in order to play AA6 , I was going to pay for a used one in Friday 22 Seb ..... and Capcom Released it on IOS on Thursday 21 Seb , So thanks Capcom for saving me the price of buying a console in the nick of time even though I like Nintendo consoles and games but I wasn't originally had a plan to buy a 3DS for the moment if it wasn't for AA6 , But I will get one later for sure

Anyway I finished Case 2 and Something is bothering me without much Spoilers , Are the Remaining cases twists as obvious as this one , They gave away Two Major hints early in the case and a Final Major hint in the middle of it that led me to know the True identify of the Culprit , They could had revealed one and save the other late in the case in order to clear any suspicious but I was bothered that they gave away it that easy early in the case , The Old Games " except for the cases where they show the true Culprit in the prologue " gave hints here and there but Nothing was too obvious like this one

I get where people are coming from with Nahyuta. He's certainly not my favourite prosecutor in the series (there have been some really, really great prosecutors in past games.. Godot, Franziska, and Blackquill just to name a few). But for some reason, I still like Nahyuta WAY better than Klavier. I found Klavier annoying as hell tbh.

Top Bottom