• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Morning or evening workouts/exercise?

Finding it tough to go after work, I have started going to the gym and/or going for a bike ride in the mornings. I do get tired, but I feel that I would prefer to workout in the morning, as I feel too mentally drained in the evenings to even show up at the gym.

How about you? Do you guys do morning, noontime (wish my workplace provided a gym!), or evenings?

Edit: I also take a pre-workout supplement and find that I'll stay up unit at least midnight if I end up taking it anytime past 5pm. So I guess this is somewhat self-inflicted.

maxcriden

Late afternoon for me. I'm too beat in the morning for a good workout, and after sitting at work all day I want to work out.

Morning. It gets me up and ready to face the day. Plus, I can fully enjoy my evening without the need to exercise and waste precious socializing/free time.

Krakn3Dfx

I get into the office around 6am, we have a gym as well. Hit the gym for about an hour, shower up, and head upstairs. Gives me energy for the rest of the day, and the last thing I want to do after getting done with work is exercise, lol.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Definitely would like to start working out in the mornings but I have no willpower to get up early enough. Hopefully once I open up the pool I will as I have had success in the past waking up in the morning to at least go for a swim.

I don't mind working out in the evenings after work in terms of mental or physical exhaustion but I feel like my time is so limited then that I hate doing it then.

marrec

Banned
Love doing evening workouts. Start with a nice 3m jog around the park and then a 30-45 minute workout at home while catching up on TV. Right into a shower and then dinner and am super invigorated for the rest of the afternoon.

Also I simply don't want to wake up early enough to be able to fit in my routine.

Licas1355

Morning, can't do anything in the evening because gym is packed with people. Also I have to get to work til 930 so morning for me.

neerg

Used to hate going after work, but after forcing myself to for a few weeks I soon came to look forward to it, a great way to rid yourself of the stress and tension from work.
Well that and I hate getting up in the mornings

Maximo

I get up before 5am now for the gym way too many in the afternoon and feel like I have to force myself when it gets late.

Weetrick

I would love to exercise before work but I get up at 5am and only have time to shower and pour coffee. No way I'm getting up even earlier. I try to run or bike ride a couple times a week after work and on weekends. We have a community gym that I should be using a lot more.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Morning. Its a good way to both wake up and get yourself focused for the day and for me personally, I feel far more energized after an early workout.

Edit: Not that I don't mind or work out after I'm done with my job but if I can I like having my evenings free.

HylianTom

Banned
I get up at 0515 and run. It's cooler then, I feel better for the rest of the day, and I lack the energy/willpower to exercise after a long shift.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
I find that I have much more energy to exercise with after work than before. I've tried going in the morning a few times but my body just doesn't feel optimal. It feels lethargic and like it's still waking up.

After work I feel pumped and ready to end my day strong, that and I've already eaten food for energy, so it makes it easier.

Years ago I used to always go on the mornings (which is cheaper). Nowadays I go in the evenings, and some saturday mornings if I have missed a day.

Morning: Not as empty as you would think. Fairly low on energy by the time I arrive to the office.

Evening: Ok while it is not peak time. Helps me with sleeping.

Kyne

evenings, every day from 6:45-8:00PM.

you get used to it, and then it just becomes the norm. Stick to it to make it easier.

daveo42

Banned
Afternoon or late evening. I tend to do strength in the afternoons after work, then running in the late evening. Running tends to happen late out of habit and because in the summer it's cooler outside.

I've been doing morning workouts for a year and a half now. At the gym 5 by am and I'm energized throughout the day. I do find myself going to bed around 9:30pm which isn't a bad thing.

I find that I am less likely to skip your workout if you start your day with it; in the last year I probably missed 10 workouts. I know a lot of people that will call off a workout because they had a long day at work. That's fair, but it won't help you achieve your wellness goals.

Also the gym is so empty in the morning. It's great. No waiting for quarter squatters.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Once you get used to going in the morning you'll reap the benefits of a relatively empty gym compared to the after 9 to 5 rush hour. If you find it tough at first, stick with it, you'll acclimate.

SDCowboy

Back when I lifted weights, I had to do it in the morning. Any time past around noon and I just didn't have the physical energy to get the kind of lift in I could in the morning.

If I haven't worked out by dinner it's not happening. Sometimes my fiancé drags me on a walk after dinner but I don't make it easy lol. She hasn't been trying to do that lately.

About to take my dog on a walk right in a few minutes. If I wait any longer it will be too bloody hot.

Currently working construction so I'm forced to work out after, around 5ish PM. I just get small cup of black coffee and I'm usually ready to go.

I go at lunchtime on weekdays and at the weekend I go around 2pm at the latest, evening workouts always feel horrendous to me.

I'd do morning if I never had a dog to walk and feed before work every day.

UrAvgGuy

Morning workouts when I have to go into the office. It takes a bit to get used to but there's a gym at the office so I go straight into work after gym/shower. A little bit of caffeine helps too.

Afternoon workouts when I'm working from home because I like to sleep in.

Evening after work.

It kind of sucks because I'm tired and hungry, but I need to get workouts in and really can't make time in the morning or during lunch.

RDreamer

Morning. I have to shower in the morning anyway, so I do it after my workout rather than once in the morning and once at night.

Fewr

Early morning always. After 10am I've lost all motivation.
Evenings I'm still at work, and at night I'm too exhausted.

Ensoul

Go on my lunch hour which is around 1:30 or 2:00.

I'd love to exercise in the morning but sleep wins out every single time.

meow

I started going mornings because my work is too erratic/unpredictable to make it reliably in the evenings. Now it's a habit and I feel gross/bad if I don't go (barring extreme circumstances, like very little sleep the night before).

blackflag

I had a sick private gym at work. Had everything a real gym would have. Hammer strength power racks, etc.

I would just go over there for 2 hours during lunch and kill it.

Most crowded it would ever be is like 5 or 6 people in a full sized gym.

Well, they closed it last month and now I'm having a hell of a time adjusting. I can't go to busy ass gyms during prime time so I wait until 9pm and workout till 11pm. Then I can't fucking sleep and I get up at 6am. I thought about going at 4am but there's just no way I can shift my schedule that much.

I am going on Saturday and sundays so that means really only 3 - 4 days during the week.

I have a home gym with power rack, reverse hyper, bench, leg extension and curls, single cable, dumbells to 75lb. I just have a hard time working out at home. I get distracted. I know that's my own fault and if I can fix that I can do my workouts during the week at home. I just like going to the gym better.

Tldr: it sucks.

Khasim

I used to go to the gym after work, but it was always horribly crowded. So, even though I am one of those people who are barely alive after waking up, I forced myself to get up very early in the morning since last week (5 a.m.) and I eat a light breakfast, get to the gym at 7 a.m., work out a little under 2h to get to work at 9-9:30, and then start working.

Aside from less people at the gym, I found I no longer need energy drinks / tea with a bucket of sugar in it to be alive in the early hours, I'm much more productive and if I'm having a particularly bad day then I don't have have to worry about skipping my workout if I don't feel like it.

Literally the only downside is that I have to go to sleep earlier than usual (10-11 p.m. at the latest), but it's worth it.

Shy Fingers

Banned
Used to be evenings, but the gym was always full.

Started getting there at 5am before work and its a ghost town. Never looked back.

bchamba

I go after work and also have trouble sleeping unless after my workout I eat a lot of food and/or have a few beers, or take some melatonin

lsslave

Jew Gamer
During the summer I usually run outside and it's too damn hot if you don't burn it out in morning. Get a nice long run in shower up and then just feel on top of the world all day long.

During the winter whenever I get around to it because Canadian winter is cold and terrible.

MJLord

At the minute I do in the evening because of my commute being so far away.

If I bring that down I'd much rather do the morning, I can be physically tired at work because I'm at a desk. Trying to get the willpower to go in the evening after a tiring day is just the worst..

G-Bus

Banned
Usually around 9pm on weeknights. Wife thinks I'm crazy.

Not many people there at that time. Just the way I like it.

wamberz1

Late afternoon/night. Usually find I have way more energy around 9-10. Plus it makes jogging easier since no one is around.

Top Bottom