• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft will ‘show the world what’s next’ at May 23rd event in Shanghai

You're derailing his faux outrage, brehs.

Ah yes, my faux and completely unjustified outrage over them removing the pen, which was associated with the model for at least 4 years now, while keeping the price the same and marketing it as a laptop without a keyboard.

How dare I.

Do those Germany prices include the keyboard? If not, how much is it?

I hope SP4 price drops a lot... the improvements are nice but not dealbreakers.

edit. why the fuck does Microsoft insist in having 4GB RAM laptops/hybrids in the middle of 2017?

Pen and keyboard are sold separately. The new models aren't in the store yet. The old keyboard is 149€ (on sale for 119€ right now) and the pen is 69€.

Futureman

Cheap! LOL

Microsoft's hardware lines will always be at a premium so they don't piss off OEMs. This has always been the case. They are definitely making the best Windows hardware out there so it's worth it IMO if you want the best.

Ah yes, my faux and completely unjustified outrage over them removing the pen, which was associated with the model for at least 4 years now, while keeping the price the same and marketing it as a laptop without a keyboard.

How dare I.

I'm not sure about the other models, but my SP4 m3 was $899 when I bought it on release day. The new m3 is $799 so it oddly looks like they just dropped the pen and price.

How dare I.

Are you buying it? Yes? No?
It's a tablet without keyboard. A pens is not needed to use it. If you must buy a pen, Surface pens are $30.

So by reducing the price and not including the pen, you actually have more choice.

Are you buying it? Yes? No?
It's a tablet without keyboard. A pens is not needed to use it. If you must buy a pen, Surface pens are $30.

So by reducing the price and not including the pen, you actually have more choice.

I already own the Surface Pro 4 and while I don't love it, I like it enough to upgrade to a Surface Book when I feel like upgrading

Why is this a question again?

giga

They are selling them for $100 less.
Only one I see that's $100 less is the base model, which no one should get anyway. Otherwise they're still the same price.

hT8CW8d.png

fPRb7xq.png

dont like lenovo, also i want 32gb of ram.

You ain't getting 32GB of RAM and pen capability in a mobile device until they actually start producing 32GB SoDIMMs.

But since Yoga 720 has 8GB on mobo PLUS a SoDIMM slot, it's the only pen device that you can have 24GB of RAM atm. Too bad you don't like Lenovos.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
You ain't getting 32GB of RAM and pen capability in a mobile device until they actually start producing 32GB SoDIMMs.

who said i wanted 32gb of RAM and pen capability?

I said Dell (an XPS) gets my money, I was waiting to see what the surface book 2 looked like, but apparently microsoft doesnt want to do anything with it. Someone said it was "refreshed" in december, all they added a different performance base.

who said i wanted 32gb of RAM and pen capability?

I said Dell (an XPS) gets my money, I was waiting to see what the surface book 2 looked like, but apparently microsoft doesnt want to do anything with it. Someone said it was "refreshed" in december, all they added a different performance base.

If you don't want pen capability, why the fuck would you waste your money on Surface Book or any of the 2 in 1s? That's just cray cray...

captive

If you don't want pen capability, why the fuck would you waste your money on Surface Book or any of the 2 in 1s? That's just cray cray...

because microsoft design > everyone elses hardware design. That lenovo you keep recommending is ugly as fuck.

also i do use a pen *occaisionally* to dust large film scans i have, but its not a big deal, ive used a mouse to do it before.

Meatfist

Looks really impressive, but that price is absolute booty compared to its competitors (Spectre x360, XPS 15, Yoga). My Spectre was ~1300 for i7/16GB/512GB, 900 less :O

because microsoft design > everyone elses hardware design. That lenovo you keep recommending is ugly as fuck.

also i do use a pen *occaisionally* to dust large film scans i have, but its not a big deal, ive used a mouse to do it before.

Better to look good than to feel good? Thanks Fernando.

Kyoufu

Can't fathom spending so much on something that doesn't even have the latest USB standard. Dual core CPUs also feel bad now that I've gotten a taste of quad cores. You're just better off getting a Dell XPS or something similar for that much money IMO.

I would love a 15" Surface device tbh.

Can't fathom spending so much on something that doesn't even have the latest USB standard. Dual core CPUs also feel bad now that I've gotten a taste of quad cores. You're just better off getting a Dell XPS or something similar for that much money IMO.

Quad core isn't necessary for most ppl, but for those kinds of prices, they really should be quad core. But unfortunately Intel's most efficient quad core i5/i7 are hogs that require at least 35W. Even Ryzen wouldn't get that down to probably around 25W for quad core. So for these light and thin devices, dual core is gonna be it for a while.

Yoga 720

Looks like another generation where I'll be keeping my Surface Pro 3 and just buying the new pen...

I'm really curious about the backwards compatibility with the new pen. I somehow doubt that the SP4 will get all the new features, if any. The SP4 pen also worked on the SP3, but you didn't get the higher pressure sensitivity.

captive

Better to look good than to feel good? Thanks Fernando.

guess you've never heard the phrase look good, feel good.

In my experience, something that looks like a piece of shit, often performs like a piece of shit, or eventually falls apart like a piece of shit because it was built like a piece of shit.

My work sent me a lenovo, and its a piece of shit. I've had to deploy lenovos for clients and their driver support is crap. I actually had to fly out to phoenix to help a client because the driver pack we downloaded directly from Lenovo contained a server gbic driver which was being selected which windows then freaked out about. Left a bad taste in my mouth, if you can't take care of your primary customers, Lenovo being mostly business based, i dont expect you to take care of regular consumers.

giga

Quads aren't fitting in this thermal profile. And I'm not sure making the i5 passively cooled was the right decision unless they're not targeting pros with this anymore.

Hana-Bi

With the price of the i7/512GB/16 GB RAM version I might just wait for the Surface Book 2. Really want a Surface but with no pen and type cover out of the box, the Book is almost the same price with the performance base.

I'm really curious about the backwards compatibility with the new pen. I somehow doubt that the SP4 will get all the new features, if any. The SP4 pen also worked on the SP3, but you didn't get the higher pressure sensitivity.

Oh, really? I'm using the SP4 pen on my SP3, and it's definitely a higher pressure sensitivity than the original pen I got with the SP3. Is there even higher pressure sensitivity when used on an SP4? I honestly didn't know that, though I knew that there are other improvements like less parallax on the SP4's thinner screen.

Zaph

DXbM5Wx.png

Am I missing something here? To get a reasonable amount of storage space to use as a daily driver laptop (400GB+ imo), you have to upgrade to the i7 which is a £900 bump? You can't customise the i5?

Spy

DXbM5Wx.png

Am I missing something here? To get a reasonable amount of storage space to use as a daily driver laptop (400GB+ imo), you have to upgrade to the i7 which is a £900 bump? You can't customise the i5?
It annoys me so much. I wanted a 256GB Surface Laptop with 16GB RAM but there was no option. I would have had to get a 512GB SSD that costed like $600 more.

Oh, really? I'm using the SP4 pen on my SP3, and it's definitely a higher pressure sensitivity than the original pen I got with the SP3. Is there even higher pressure sensitivity when used on an SP4? I honestly didn't know that, though I knew that there are other improvements like less parallax on the SP4's thinner screen.

Ppl often confuse lower IAF with higher pressure levels. PS4 pen and SP3 pen probably operate at same pressure levels on SP3.

BTW I'm reading conflicting reports on IAF from The Verge. They say that MS lowered the IAF, but in another instance they say it 12 grams. Old pen's IAF was 10 grams. WTF... Maybe it's a typo and it's 2 grams now, which is a huge improvement.

Top Bottom