• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I don't look at prices when I go grocery shopping"

KillLaCam

Banned
I barely ever pay attention to the price of groceries . I just get whatever brands I like. I dont think the guy was bragging or anything. Pretty sure alot of people dont pay attention to the prices of food like that. I'd notice if im paying like $10 for some soda or something though

Edit: Especially just something like a coconut. i'd just assume it would be like $2 and throw it in the cart.

Edit Edit: $8 Bacon is good though lol. Plus all I do is Travel so thats not an issue either. Just get a decent CS job

oti

Banned
I'm generally quite frugal and has lived on a very strict budget with little or no income for periods of my life, but I still have never paid much attention to the exact prices of groceries.

How? This doesn't make any sense at all.

Not really.

I mean as a kid I couldn't afford things, but now can afford to and tend not to look at the prices as much as I should.

Then I look at the near $100 spent on random groceries. 😫

Don't worry. You're not the only one with the humble brag.
It really was not meant to be.
Did you get $100 worth of groceries? I don't see a problem.

It takes seconds to compare prices. Also Bangkok lol where everything is cheap except tissues. I am currently on Samui and with my weekly budget I can live like a king here. Food is way cheaper here compared to the rest of the world.
Yeah, it's amazing. I never want to leave. Enjoy Samui!
We're talking about literally comparing like items and making a decision based on their sale price

Are we? some posters talking about having to know the history of prices, when sales occur, prices at different stores, etc. Different quantities for different prices, requiring you to look per ounce, etc. Some people just go in and buy what they want. It adds up.

partime

Real question is, do you look at prices shopping for wine or hard liquor. Everyone does, they have to, right?

Purexed

Banned
I do pretty well, but I cant even imagine a scenario where I wouldn't check prices while I'm grocery shopping. Sure there are some mandatories where the cost is what it is (E.g. Chobani greek yogurt, avocados, Tillamook cheese, etc.), but there are usually comparable choices where cost is going to be the determining factor.

Nevasleep

I look at prices for individual items to make sure I'm not getting ripped, but I'm fortunate (for now) that I don't have to worry about the overall cost.

I also choose my grocery store for reasons other than being the cheapest (though it is one of the cheaper options overall).

1. It's clean.
2. It's close.
3. Produce never lets me down.
4. The shopping carts are really tall which is better for my back. This is the most important reason.

Real question is, do you look at prices shopping for wine or hard liquor. Everyone does, they have to, right?
Yes. I don't buy it regularly enough to know the general price for my exact product off the top of my head.

cwmartin

I would rather wear cheap clothes, play cheap games, or drive a cheap car than eat cheap food or cheap coffee.

To those of you confused or unsure about people who don't bulk shop, or wait for sales, or drive all over the god damn town to multiple stores for the best price. I just buy what food I want to eat, regardless of the cost.

cwmartin

Wine, yes, mainly since I don't enjoy it enough to understand the difference. Hard liquor rarely. Hard liquor is nearly 100% brand and marketing anyway.

Zojirushi

I do look at prices of things I buy regularly because it's interesting to see how they develop over time. Then I know when it's time to switch it up if companies start getting greedy.

Zojirushi

I would rather wear cheap clothes, play cheap games, or drive a cheap car than eat cheap food or cheap coffee.

To those of you confused or unsure about people who don't bulk shop, or wait for sales, or drive all over the god damn town to multiple stores for the best price. I just buy what food I want to eat, regardless of the cost.

That's how brand names get you.

With food it's like with everything else, more expensive doesn't automatically mean better quality or healthier ingredients.

Clearos

I shop for food with zero regard for prices.

If it is clothes/shoes i get real cheap.

I think with food I am getting a reward where clothes and shoes feel like I am replacing my old stuff so i go cheap because I feel I'm not getting any value out of it.

Seirith

Surprised at the number of people in here not looking at prices.

Are you all super brand loyal or something?

There's so much variety in stores these days, without even sacrificing quality whatsoever, it's stupid to not look at the prices.

I'm not saying even hunt for bargains between different stores, but if you aren't doing a little bit of bargain hunting in the store you are actually in, just surprised I guess.

My go to is Super Target and using the cartwheel app. Occasionally Cub Foods as well using their discount card.

Using Cartwheel I have literally saved about $250 in only a year of using it. It tracks how much you are saving.

Coffee for example there are probably about 3-4 brands of the same relative quality, but one might be $3-4 cheaper a bag. Bacon y'all must be tripping because unless you're getting uncured bacon, thick cut bacon is thick cut bacon. Even the uncured bacon is sometimes on sale for $4-5 dollars. My $4 bacon that I put pepper and maple syrup on and bake in the oven will put any $8 bacon to shame. Preparation is a lot to do with it as well. Virtually any food there isn't really a gulf in quality any more, you're just paying extra for brand loyalty. Organic produce and range fed meat is sort of a different story but even that stuff can be had on sale for very close to regular prices, or go the farm share route and you get tons of awesome veggies for pretty cheap per week. Meat find a local butcher if you can and you'll be set.

I am not brand loyal to most things, but my husband and I pretty much buy the same things every week so I don't need to look at prices all the time. For example, he eats Smart One frozen meals for lunch at work, so we buy those. If we see them on sale we will stock up and buy extra but if they aren't on sale, we still buy them because he still eat them every day. I buy soy milk because I can't drink regular milk and I use it in cereal and cooking. I will look for the cheapest one but if none are on sale I still buy it. If I am buying something out of the ordinary then I will look at the price.

I am brand loyal to cat food and cat litter. One of our cats has food issues so we stick to the same type and flavor of food and I HATE cat litter so I buy whatever has the least dust and smell, even if it is the most expensive.

No, no, no, no. I am sorry, but she is your brother's wife, at that point it is basically their money unless she is breaking a budget they have both set.
I can sympathize with him. My brother has a lazy wife that spends all his money, but occasionally she gets a job. She usually loses the job within a month, but what disturbs me is that while she is working, she treats all of the money she earns as her own money and blows it. So basically, his money is her money, and her money is her money.

Regardless of whether you agree that in a relationship the money is completely shared (this is not universally agreed on, though you seem to assert it - my wife and I agree with you for our relationship but I know several couples that split the bills down the middle and then leftovers are their own), sometimes it's super obvious when one party is just taking advantage of the other.

I don't understand why you'd get angry about this. Getting angry is such an unpleasant feeling, it's really not worth getting worked up about.

meow

I look at prices but usually to compare options. That said, I usually shop at Trader Joe's so there's not usually an option to consider but I have a pretty good idea of what things cost there. I also look at price when I'm buying something new (like the last time I asked myself if I wanted that $6 bottle of cold coffee concentrate) or to gauge amount (like if I know I want less cheese, I pick the lowest price since it's proportional to weight). I pay the most attention to fruit, mostly because where I live, there are fruit carts all over that sell fruit for super cheap - like $2-3 for a big box of blackberries when the same box is $6 at the store.

I don't know anyone who straight up doesn't look at the price. More likely they look at the price and don't care. Also maybe OP's friend said that because it's tacky to ask a guest how much they spent on something they brought to a party.

I generally don't look at prices since if I want a certain food item I'm just gonna buy it. But I also only spend ~75 bucks on food per week so it's not like I'm breaking the bank to feed myself.

Of all the things I buy, food is something I buy based on quality and taste, not price. So when I do 'shop around' it's for stuff like grass-feed beef or cage-free eggs. I'll register the price maybe once the first time I'm buying it but after that, I don't pay too much attention.

Edit: I also buy exorbitant amounts of Avacado Toast! Pinky's up, neogaf

Zips

Does nobody here use a price-matching app? I use Flipp all the time. For groceries I keep a general mental tally, and will compare prices, sizes, and ingredients. Not paying attention you'll wind up with overpriced junk or get suckered into different fake deals (like buying two for twice the price or more).

I go to the closest grocery store out of convenience (and saving on transportation costs), but it has decent prices overall, and I price match using Flipp to shave off a few dollars or more here and there each time.

To do otherwise is just intentionally wasteful.

Shai-Tan

Banned
The big grocery here way overcharges for meat compared to the local butcher/grocery down the road. I could save 20+ dollars from just buying elsewhere. It's basically a convenience tax.

Brashnir

we eat it from bowls in the morning, while standing up in the kitchen, usually with our faces directly in the bowl....

yes. in fact if a bigger creature could pour it for us, that would pretty much clinch it.

When we're kids a bigger creature does, in fact, pour it for us.

bionic77

As others have said I already looked at prices for things year ago and so it barely registers when I go shopping at the grocery store.

I do notice the price of that fucking fresh juice at Wegmans, but I often still buy it despite it costing a fortune because it is amazingly good.

VegiHam

Man, GAF is full of rich people I guess.

If you can afford to just wonder around the supermarket picking up things you want to eat because you feel like it, then you are incredibly lucky.

I gotta keep it under £25 a week or I'll go broke.

Had a get together with some friends and family over the weekend and one of my friends who, let's say, has more money than the rest of us, said this when I asked him about something he bought at the grocery store.

And I get that he comes from a "different world" that he was born into, then us plebeians but saying that really upset me.

And I know it's on my end and it comes from a place of jealousy. I had just they after noon been grocery shopping and had to be mindful of what was a good value and what I could and couldn't afford that week.

And it just really bugs me. And makes me hate that I work 40 hours a week and sometimes can't afford to buy "the good cheese" or the "good bread".

Not to say he doesn't work as well and isn't an educated fellow. And he is aware that he can come off as arrogant sometimes. He's really a good dude. And as I said this all comes a place of jealousy.

I'm just.... in work and work and thats it. No vacations, gotta buy generic at the store, etc. Just frustrating. And I turn 40 tomorrow.

Don't hate the player, hate the game. If he works, he works, and he's working class. He lucked out and got his. Don't fetishize the concept of poverty and demand it of everyone else. Be angry at the system that keeps people poor.

bunbun777

My mom loves getting sales, it was drilled into me pretty quick, that and price is right. I usually am within a few dollars every time when I ring up.

Apath

If that's the case, then don't complain about pinching pennies and being broke all the time. Can save a lot per year on groceries alone.
Is that what we're discuss here? People who are tight on money stating they don't care about prices at the grocery store?

This is one of the most bizarre things ever to get mad about. Especially the weird "he comes from a different world" thing, there's a lot of things I don't know the prices of. Unless it's something on sale I usually wouldn't get or whatever I couldn't tell you the price of a lot of stuff. Like tomatoes, peppers, etc, aren't so budget breaking that I would memorize that they were $1.29/lb this week or $1.59/lb or whatever.

There's no "right" way to do this. My fiancée and I grocery shop together with a budget in mind informed by YNAB, and we notice the specials and bogos and take advantage when we can. We mostly buy the same things we like to eat weekly at Publix and buy some stuff in bulk at Costco every month. We're not going to pick up cheaper food just because it's cheaper.

If I'm running into the store to buy a specific item or two, the price doesn't matter (within reason) because we need or want those items and if we decide to make some changes and buy different things, we just adjust the budget and keep it moving.

Imagine that mindset while making a movie

220px-TheRoomMovie.jpg

When I found out how much this movie cost ($6 mil) I was totally dumbfounded. It's absolutely ridiculous that a film like this cost only a few mil less than something like Moon, and $1 mil more than something like Get Out.

Nivash

When I found out how much this movie cost ($6 mil) I was totally dumbfounded. It's absolutely ridiculous that a film like this cost only a few mil less than something like Moon, and $1 mil more than something like Get Out.

Eh, it's money laundering. It's not like he could have just put the money from that airplane heist in a bank account or anything.

As for the topic, I guess I'm in the group who doesn't notice grocery prices either. Always have been, even when I was a poor student. I've just always prioritised good food and cut back on stuff like eating out, expensive clothes or vanity items instead.

Peccavi

My job is literally forecasting grocery sales by price, but when shopping for myself I tend not to look too hard. Mostly it's targeted shopping where I go to the store for specific items so I'm not going to price compare.

Luckily our customers are more sale price aware than me or I'd be out of work.

The notion of not looking at prices was treated as heresy in my parents house, so yes I coupon and look at prices. The money you save by looking at things is pretty amazing.

KillLaCam

Banned
Man, GAF is full of rich people I guess.

If you can afford to just wonder around the supermarket picking up things you want to eat because you feel like it, then you are incredibly lucky.

I gotta keep it under £25 a week or I'll go broke.

I feel like the average person from a 1st world country should (they might not) be able to afford groceries. Like that shouldn't be considered lucky. Food is a basic necessity. Having enough money for food isnt rich (In a 1st world country)

I feel like the average person from a 1st world country should (they might not) be able to afford groceries. Like that shouldn't be considered lucky. Food is a basic necessity. Having enough money for food isnt rich (In a 1st world country)

It's simply not the reality for many.

Fuzzery

Maybe:) Depends on how big the notice was. Definitely if it were Rao's, because I check for a sale on it every time I buy pasta sauce, looking wistfully at its magnificent, but overpriced, splendor.
Raos is really that good eh. That's my main takeaway from this thread

That's true but that bacon goes on sale on occasion.

i have what, like 3 square feet of freezer space, not everyone is going to buy a year's supply of bacon to save $5 then realize nothing else fits. when it comes to value if it goes in the freezer that's when i'm least concerned about it. i really had a hankering for corn dogs last week but all walmart had was boxes of like 24 of them. i'm not going to eat corn dogs every day for a month and i don't want to dedicate a third of my freezer to them. so i waited and bought a 6 pack today at another store. price per dog was probably double or more i'm sure but what am i going to do, cook 20 corn dogs and go door to door offering em up? value is subjective

B.O.O.M

Or people just know what bacon is really expensive by the look of it because they have been shopping for over a decade.

If I am going for my normal stuff I hardly bother with the price, it is when I get into the unknown that I will start to register if it will fit my budget.

Yep this is me as well

Top Bottom