• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

343: Explanation of What Happened with the MCC & Why It Was Left Unpatched Until Now

YuShtink

The fact that they continued (and still continue) to sell this game is one of the most disgusting things I've ever seen in this industry, and that's saying a lot. This is all far too little, far too late. Instead of sinking more money into this utter turd of a product they should be paying off the people who paid and wasted their time being strung along month after month trying to play such a broken POS. With interest.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Also a big slap in the face to say "most users were able to play no problems". That wasn't the case at all.

If you're going to "quote" me please at least cut and paste what I actually said on this very page rather than paraphrasing it to mean something completely different.

StereoVsn

True story - MCC issues made me avoid Xbone. I was going to buy it pretty much for Halo and backwards compatibility but MCC and crappy Halo 5 campaign made me avoid it. Good for them that they are going to fix it. I wonder whats the chance of them releasing it on PC once its fixed.

SpartanN92

Banned
Best I can say is good luck.

I just hope this brings back the player base but I think that ship has sailed.
I really hope it works though! Thanks for the update.

TheXbox

Vocal minority is a real thing.

I wasn't on message boards screaming about it not working - I was playing it at launch.

He acknowledges the launch issues so I don't think you have to document that any further than the OP.
If you think the game's okay as long as >50% of all players have a functional experience, I don't know what to tell you. Maybe you think the players affected should just be quiet?

The point is this: excepting matchmaking, the game launched with too many issues. Too many players had a bad, broken experience. How many is too many? What's an acceptable "minority?" I'm not arguing that the majority of MCC players had a shitty time - only too many. If you look at any of the reactions post-launch or the early patch notes, I believe that's self-evident, and launching the game in that state was irresponsible. I'm actually kind of shocked that this is even controversial.

Akai__

2 things that I have a very hard time to believe and want further clarification on, if possible:

1st: Game working for the "vast majority". What does this entail, because SP worked for everyone (with a couple bugs)... MP? Well, I don't buy that for a second with all the outrage behind it.

2nd: It was not tested in a retail environment and worked fine in internal testing. Hard to believe, when you guys travelled to almost every gaming relevant convention arround the world and had a playable build on those events that had to be restarted AFTER EVERY MATCH/MAP. Can't tell me that nobody noticed this...

It's been so long that my memory might be wrong but didn't reviewers play through the game without having any of the matchmaking problems prior to the launch? It wasn't until the game went live for everybody that it was clear the game was broken but like I said, I'm not 100% certain.

I also can't really remember, but wasn't that the case, because reviewers never got to play Matchmaking? I know that reviewers (and YouTuber's) were all whitelisted a week before launch and they were allowed to stream a couple specific H2A missions. I vaguely remember that they couldn't play Matchmaking, because it was not available to them and that makes sense, since the 20GB Patch was made available on release.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong here.

Keinning

If you think the game's okay as long as >50% of all players have a functional experience, I don't know what to tell you. Maybe you think the players affected should just be quiet?

The point is this: excepting matchmaking, the game launched with too many issues. Too many players had a bad, broken experience. How many is too many? What's an acceptable "minority?" I'm not arguing that the majority of MCC players had a shitty time - only too many. If you look at any of the reactions post-launch or the early patch notes, I believe that's self-evident, and launching the game in that state was irresponsible. I'm actually kind of shocked that this is even controversial.

It's not controversial. But you're banging on a nail frankie already did, in his statement. Read the OP.

meirl

Banned
So if I wanted to play some multiplayer right now does it work?
Yes of course. It always worked. Some people Just had to wait a Little longer in the Lobby. But for me it always worked. I also played through the while Coop campaigns online. No issue.

rokkerkory

i hope lots of lessons learned here and never to repeat again.

looking fwd to jumping back in once the update is out

Keinning

i hope lots of lessons learned here and never to repeat again.

I doubt microsoft will ever release another big compilation like this. It's not worth the trouble.

And i doubt gamers jaded with the MCC would even buy it to begin with. I know i wouldn't.

Knock it out of the park this time and the make the MCC the game that so many were expecting! Good luck and keep us updated!

Even though it's far too late for some and others will never believe you or forgive you, I'm glad you're trying to fix these problems. I hope it all works out well.

SpartanN92

Banned
Question for Stinkles:

Please do not misinterpret this as me calling you out or calling you a liar. I am not doing so and that is most definitely not my intention but please help me understand...

I went to PAX Prime 2014 and MCC Halo 2 Anniversary was playable there. The line was over an hour long not because there were so many people lined up nescessarily but because the demo units kept crashing at the end of every game. I remember them having to reset every unit for each round and it took forever.... Granted I imagine these were older builds of the game and I guess stuff like this happens with those builds but was the expierience there A: Not seen in internal testing? and B: Not indicative of the performance of the consumer version?

I remember leaving that event slightly nervous about if that would happen with retail copies but then shrugged it off as “It’s probably some old alpha build. That stuff probably happens all the time.”

I doubt microsoft will ever release another big compilation like this. It's not worth the trouble.

And i doubt gamers jaded with the MCC would even buy it to begin with. I know i wouldn't.

It's probably the biggest reason why the first GoW was remastered instead of remastering the entire trilogy.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Interesting to read finally.
Halo means a lot to a lot of people.

ADS

The "technical" side of the explanation wasn't remotely technical. I hope someday they do an actual deep dive into what went wrong.

One of my big questions, where was QA in all this? How did their test environment end up so wrong?

hollomat

Banned
They didn't know about the issues until after release though so how could they have?

They didn't test it correctly, which is stated in the OP. That's completely their fault. The fact that they didn't even test it correctly doesn't surprise me at all considering all of the issues with the MCC.

It's also not an excuse that they bit off more then they could chew and we should be glad they were ambitious. I would've much rather had them realize it was too much for them and do something like do the games one at a time so they could've actually provided a working product.

Yes of course. It always worked. Some people Just had to wait a Little longer in the Lobby. But for me it always worked. I also played through the while Coop campaigns online. No issue.

I guess I just got unlucky every single time I tried to connect to multiplayer. Weird that many many other people had the same experience as me.

BHK3

Banned
I will buy a One X if this update truly fixes everything if not most problems. If I can co-op through all the games with no issues, that's all I need.

and add reach please

TheXbox

It's not controversial. But you're banging on a nail frankie already did, in his statement. Read the OP.
He's talking about matchmaking, and I believe every word he said. I'm talking about EVERYTHING ELSE. His explanation doesn't address those other, numerous issues. MCC's launch woes are so much more expansive than matchmaking alone, and the argument about faulty assumptions in QA only goes so far.

Papacheeks

Banned
Wow, so this confirms my theory that they wouldn't have done the fix without the push for xbox one x.

So thanks new hardware I guess?

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?

Bullshit. I never got it to work. Neither did any of my friends. Even my huge MS fanboy of a friend with three Surface devices and four Xbox Ones admits it barely functioned even when he last logged on maybe, I don’t know, a year ago?

THAT SAID, I’m glad they’re going back to it, and wish them all the best. Truly. I’d love to have a 4K (?) 60fps online version of Halo 2 to go back to until my dying days. I’ll happily take that, even if it meant being frustrated along the way.

KDC720

Thanks for the explanation Frankie. I am glad MCC is getting fixed and hopefully it will finally be the game it was meant to be.

Alucrid

Banned
sounds good. hope the collection can get to the point it deserves and shrug off that rocky past. also thoroughly confused because i thought waypoint was the vice site and forgot that it was the halo site.

Fox Mulder

This is more than I thought 343 would do at this point, good for those that still care I guess.

The MCC killed the franchise for me, I bought the original Xbox for halo in 2002 and was there for each game. I didn't even give halo 5 a second look after they removed the local co-op. MS lost their way with halo.

It's still interesting reading about how this kind of stuff happens with big AAA projects though.

Keinning

He's talking about matchmaking, and I believe every word he said. I'm talking about EVERYTHING ELSE. His explanation doesn't address those other, numerous issues. MCC's launch woes are so much more expansive than matchmaking alone, and the argument about faulty assumptions in QA only goes so far.

Fair enough. To be honest i never had much trouble outside matchmaking (and most of the complains i heard were about matchmaking too) but i never played it much either, i never bought the MCC to play single player again - i wanted online gaming and the matchmaking problems made me livid.

I want to make clear that i'm not against bashing MCC for the sorry fiasco it ended up being (and that this late fix, despite being very necessary and appreciated, will never erase) - i just don't find fair shooting the messenger (frankie in this case) when he is a fellow poster and always tried his best to answer what he could despite having his hands tied

So why did they take this long to acknowledge this? They could have written this post years ago.

they must have a lot of faith in the patch. didnt want to admit their fault without having the solution for it right after, a hit and a kiss.

Natiko

Banned
So why did they take this long to acknowledge this? They could have written this post years ago.
I imagine it wasn’t going to be a useful explanation until they could tell fans about their intention to finally be able to fix it.

nynt9

Wut?

It is an explanation, not an acknowledgement.

343i acknowledged the issues years ago.

Acknowledging that they're definitively trying to fix the issues, that is. Many of us considered the project to be abandoned for a year or more until now. Just look at relevant threads here. Or see the post above mine. The game was basically abandoned and left as broken.

TheXbox

Fair enough. To be honest i never had much trouble outside matchmaking (and most of the complains i heard were about matchmaking too) but i never played it much either, i never bought the MCC to play single player again - i wanted online gaming and the matchmaking problems made me livid.

I want to make clear that i'm not against bashing MCC for the sorry fiasco it ended up being (and that this late fix, despite being very necessary and appreciated, will never erase) - i just don't find fair shooting the messenger (frankie in this case) when he is a fellow poster and always tried his best to answer what he could despite having his hands tied
I'm not trying to chuck shit at Frankie. I really, truly am not. I have a ton of respect for him, for sticking with the franchise, for communicating with the fans - now and for years. I believe him 100%. All I'm saying is that there's another big elephant in the room, and likely some stuff 343 and Microsoft were actually aware of. Maybe they'll address those issues later. I've been waiting for three years now.

blakep267

The "technical" side of the explanation wasn't remotely technical. I hope someday they do an actual deep dive into what went wrong.

One of my big questions, where was QA in all this? How did their test environment end up so wrong?
Well from my understanding of what he said, the test environment was a perfect case scenario. A real world beta would've probably found the issue ahead of time

Cels

Well he says some of the stuff enabling improvements they're working on didn't come around until recently but yea the complete silence on the other aspects does not look good

VeeP

I appreciate the post Frankie. Like I said in another thread, better late than never. When I first bought a Xbox One and MCC, I was so hyped. But then, I tried playing online, and uh, it was pretty difficult. It was hard to party up with friends, etc. It was pretty much a cluster fuck.

I think with an update released 3 months later or so, it smoothed out some of the major issues. I could actually find games and played, but overall the experience wasn't smooth. I know some gamers on this forum still weren't able to get into matches (like you said).

With that said, hopefully you guys can work out all the kinks and make MCC the experience every Halo gamer wants. I'm looking forward to the update & the part 2 of your MCC explanation.

Toa TAK

Banned
I really appreciate this write up and that you guys are operating under transparency for this undertaking, 343i. At this point, I'm just thankful MCC is still getting the attention it needs. I’ve yet to delete it because it’s still such a great way to have the older titles on the One and I still play it with my friends to this day. Looking forward to the next half of this when the update drops.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
If the game still doesn't work 100% after this, I will officially refrain from ever purchasing anything 343-related ever again.

FyreWulff

Well, they can't go too far into detail because some of it is propietary stuff and some stuff around devkits is NDA'd into eternity.

The matchmaking ticket system was a pretty good explanation of what it was trying to do and why certain stuff occurred.

2 things that I have a very hard time to believe and want further clarification on, if possible:

1st: Game working for the "vast majority". What does this entail, because SP worked for everyone (with a couple bugs)... MP? Well, I don't buy that for a second with all the outrage behind it.

He's saying it works for the vast majority now, not that it did so at launch.

I also can't really remember, but wasn't that the case, because reviewers never got to play Matchmaking? I know that reviewers (and YouTuber's) were all whitelisted a week before launch and they were allowed to stream a couple specific H2A missions. I vaguely remember that they couldn't play Matchmaking, because it was not available to them and that makes sense, since the 20GB Patch was made available on release.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong here.

You may well be right. I expunged a lot of that time out of my memory.

I literally never had an issue with the game. I only bought it for the SP campaigns, and I've yet to have a problem with any of it. But this is always good to see that improvements are being made.

Ok, let's see if my understanding of what he said is correct.

He's saying that it's only because they got the green light to enhance and improve it for the One X, that's why they're able to fix all the existing problems at the same time?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Doesn't explain all of the single player/local bugs. My friend didn't even have gold and it was the single worst flagship game compilation I've played. Silent Hill HD is the only one worse and I wouldn't consider it on the same tier. Made me swear off buying an XB One and ever buying a Halo game again.

Thanks for the info, Frankie.

Everyone who is bitter and angry about the MCC launch and the state it was in when it was abandoned is completely justified. I don't blame anyone who says they'll never buy a 343 product again.

I played Halo 3 last night. 1080p, 60fps.
There's no going back to the original version.

I enjoy Halo too much to stay mad at 343.
This is their chance to make it right. I also appreciate how difficult it is for individuals working at a company to live with decisions made at a higher level.

I've worked in QA and put out some buggy games because a suit from the publisher wants to make street date instead of letting the devs finish the game. It's a horrible feeling. I can only imagine that getting surprised by the matchmaking issues even if they knew about the non-matchmaking bugs amplified that horrible feeling.

Good luck.

Top Bottom