• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 4: "Your Portal to What's Hip and Happening in Sinnoh!"

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I don't understand why this made laugh out loud.
Because it was bad. It's not a black and white issue here. XY's exp growth was extremely bad because you were constantly overleveled and had to actively try not to be. SuMo's exp growth is great for the actual game since you're always just about on the curve they want you on, but they didn't put in a good way to level up for the post-game and for Hyper Training like they should have. This wouldn't be a problem is we still had secret bases because then we could just set up Blissey Bases every gen and there wouldn't ever be any lasting issues, but GameFreak hates feature creep and tries to cycle their ideas.

Secret Bases only worked because of the old EXP, since Blisseys always give high EXP.

It's why it's hard to level up in BW2 even with all the coliseum stuff and the tree.

GoldStarz

Secret Bases only worked because of the old EXP, since Blisseys always give high EXP.

It's why it's hard to level up in BW2 even with all the coliseum stuff and the tree.

EXP scales to the level AND pokemon, you fight a team Level 100 Blisseys, you're still going to make fucking bank on EXP, especially if you use a Level 1 Pokemon to beat them.

Mr-Joker

Banned
What's the best way to level up Pokémon to level 100 in Pokémon SM?

Is it literally just continually battling the Elite Four? :/

Pretty much, since you won't get much via wild Pokémon.

And people shat on XY's exp growth

Because it was horribly unbalanced and would sky rocket Pokémon levels to the point that it would make an easy game even easier.

Because it was bad. It's not a black and white issue here. XY's exp growth was extremely bad because you were constantly overleveled and had to actively try not to be. SuMo's exp growth is great for the actual game since you're always just about on the curve they want you on, but they didn't put in a good way to level up for the post-game and for Hyper Training like they should have. This wouldn't be a problem is we still had secret bases because then we could just set up Blissey Bases every gen and there wouldn't ever be any lasting issues, but GameFreak hates feature creep and tries to cycle their ideas.

Agreed, the gen 5 exp formula was good because Audino appear often in shaking grass and would give tons of experience plus you get given the Lucky egg thus making training easier and quicker.

However in gen 7 they don't give players the Lucky Egg until post game and only if they have 50 Pokémon in their Pokédex plus Audino isn't in Alola and while Chansey is in Alola she's a SOS Pokémon meaning it isn't a fast and easy way to train.

High, if you're willing to sell a limb.
Well I have been the hospital these past few days. Maybe I can ask them to clone my limb haha!
Used HG/SS with pokewalker alone sells at higher price than it cost at launch. Limited edition with Ho-oh figurine... yikes.
The last two times that I almost got this was on eBay and the B/S/T thread. Both around 120 to 150. I just really want one that isn't damaged (including the box, game case and manuals) haha!

stn

So I made some trades between X and Sun. I noticed that my legendary caught in X (the one from the story) did not transfer. Would the transfer work if no items are being held?

In general, can you store any Pokemon in the bank as long as they are not holding an item or have a move that needs to be unlearned? Thanks.

Mr-Joker

Banned
tumblr_n9wvhrzu5x1ttdkobo1_400.gif

All hail Whimsicott.

Anyway that was an interesting match with an interesting team with Garchomp once again proving that he's superior to his counterpart even if he lost.

You know next year they're going to open the floodgates again and let every Pokemon (excluding main legendaries) back in lol.

I wonder if they'll still ban megas.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
How has the Sun and Moon dub been?

I'm asking because for once it's actually surpassed where the subs are at.

So I made some trades between X and Sun. I noticed that my legendary caught in X (the one from the story) did not transfer. Would the transfer work if no items are being held?

In general, can you store any Pokemon in the bank as long as they are not holding an item or have a move that needs to be unlearned? Thanks.
Pokémon in your party must be placed in the PC to be transfered. Any items a Pokémon in the PC may have will go straight to your bag once they are placed in the bank. The bank will not accept any hacked Pokémon, so if your legendary ended up in the bank, then it shouldn't be hacked. I don't think Pokémon Sun/Moon block any moves from previous gens, so I'm not sure what the problem could be, my best guess is if it's an event legendary there could something with that?

Bladenic

So I bought Platinum a few weeks ago and I'm up to Pastoria.

My planned team completely switched. I really wanted to use Houndoom, Drapion, and Hippowdon. But due to rarity, lateness of appearance, and bad luck catching a good nature/ability, I'm unlikely to use any of those.

Still, my team is all mons I've never used but liked/loved. Team is:

Monferno
Rotom (probably the most likely to get replaced)
Leafeon (ugh that trash level up movepool)
Gabite
Golduck
Gliscor

Mr-Joker

Banned

My planned team completely switched. I really wanted to use Houndoom, Drapion, and Hippowdon. But due to rarity, lateness of appearance, and bad luck catching a good nature/ability, I'm unlikely to use any of those.

It's all about patient, plus if you have a Pokémon with Synchronize plus with the ability you want it will make hunting for a Pokémon with the nature you want easier, that's what I did during my Pokémon Diamond playthrough and it reduced the work load as I all needed to focus on is ability and gender.

Monferno
Gabite
Golduck
Gliscor

Leafeon is a great Pokémon if he has a strong grass type move, if you have the Johto remake and another DS trade your Leafeon over and teach it Seed Bomb and trade it back into Platinum, that's what I did with mine on my Platinum team and my god he very quickly became one of my strongest Pokémon due to having strong defense and high attack stats.

GoldStarz

How has the Sun and Moon dub been?

I'm asking because for once it's actually surpassed where the subs are at.

Man, the subbers really are pretty slow aren't they? I really wish there was another group that was subbing the anime since between their (lack of) speed and their insistence on using the JP names for basically everything and not giving any alternative, they are pretty lackluster.

You know next year they're going to open the floodgates again and let every Pokemon (excluding main legendaries) back in lol.

I wonder if they'll still ban megas.

My guess it'll be either a new alolan dex, or a national dex with no megas. If 2018 doesn't give us a new game, then VGC 19 will be national dex with megas

Mr-Joker

Banned
Man, the subbers really are pretty slow aren't they? I really wish there was another group that was subbing the anime since between their (lack of) speed and their insistence on using the JP names for basically everything and not giving any alternative, they are pretty lackluster.

Reminds me of the days when I used to hang out at Serebii forum and some post for some baffling reason were intent in sticking to using Pokémon Japanese names because it sounds better.

They also used to get pissy when someone would tell them to stop being a weebo and use the official English name which makes sense not everyone knows what a "Hitokage" is.

Ah good times.

brinstar

I used to be a mod on the serebii forums back in the day, around 3rd gen. I think i recognize some of the posters I knew back then on GAF floating around every once in a while lol

WPS

They also used to get pissy when someone would tell them to stop being a weebo and use the official English name which makes sense not everyone knows what a "Hitokage" is.

Isn't that a naruto thing?

I wonder if this crap has died down in the age of simulatenous releases? Gen 5 especially it took me a long time to unlearn the japanese names, but now that the time between japanese reveals and international reveals are a few days I never need to bother memorising them.

(Never forget Naetoru is betteru)

wmlk

Monferno
Gabite
Golduck
Gliscor

Man, I remember I lost my shit when I knew that I could get Houndour before getting to Pastoria. What a cool Pokémon.

Whoever nicknames their Pokémon and trades them away are scum.

Yes I know I have brought this up before in this thread. It just happened to me just alittle while ago.

GoldStarz

Whoever nicknames their Pokémon and trades them away are scum.

Yes I know I have brought this up before in this thread. It just happened to me just alittle while ago.

You know some people consider it as something cute or nice to do, right?

It's not like you'd be able to nickname them either way.

You know some people consider it as something cute or nice to do, right?

It's not like you'd be able to nickname them either way.

No, what's cute for one isn't for another.

At the beginning of 6 gen I put up one of the Lake Guardians for trade for a Registeel and I got back a Registeel nicknamed "THNX4MEWDICK".

Now I can brush it off because I have a completed living dex but back then I was just getting back into Pokémon after 4 gens of not playing and I had nothing. Losing that lake guardian to that untradable trash because of its nickname was a major loss at that time because again I had very few bargaining chips. I don't nickname my Pokémon and I don't want anyone else's nicknamed Pokémon.

Also, almost all nickname Pokémon lose their trading value from my experience.

Nicknames are great. My daughter made me name my Snorlax Baymax.

That's actually pretty nice. I would roll with a Pokémon my daughters nickname but I wouldn't trade them to anyone else.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Well to be fair, until Gen VI you had a good 6 months or so where all we had were the Japanese names so I can actually understand people using the Japanese names---after using them for quite awhile one can argue it's the dub names that are harder to remember.

Of course I learn both sets so I don't have that issue, but use the dub names once they come out.

SuperOrez

No, what's cute for one isn't for another.

At the beginning of 6 gen I put up one of the Lake Guardians for trade for a Registeel and I got back a Registeel nicknamed "THNX4MEWDICK".

Now I can brush it off because I have a completed living dex but back then I was just getting back into Pokémon after 4 gens of not playing and I had nothing. Losing that lake guardian to that untradable trash because of its nickname was a major loss at that time because again I had very few bargaining chips. I don't nickname my Pokémon and I don't want anyone else's nicknamed Pokémon.

Also, almost all nickname Pokémon lose their trading value from my experience.

Yeah that makes sense. I usually try not to nickname if I'm gonna trade, unless it's with a friend. Even then though I don't go for troll names for others. I did name my Kangaskan Prolife though. I wish you could see nick names on BS though. I'd love to see what people come up with.

brinstar

I personally like getting nicknamed Pokemon in a trade. It makes me feel like I got a Pokemon that at least some care was put into.

I have a few codes for the GameStop Salazzle event Pokémon that is currently being handed out. I know the thread about it wasn't that happy with the idea of it so I wanted to know if anyone here would like one.

MarkusRJR

This is definitely a dumb question, but does Poké Pelago's time only move when you're in it and in stand by? I put berries in weeks ago when I started my new Pokémon Sun playthrough and checked again today. The timer says I still have almost 6 hours left until the berry's effect will end.

Is this a glitch or am I just doing something wrong? I totally ignored Poké Pelago and Festival Plaza on my original playthrough and am finally exploring the extra features. They seem a bit confusing.

I have a few codes for the GameStop Salazzle event Pokémon that is currently being handed out. I know the thread about it wasn't that happy with the idea of it so I wanted to know if anyone here would like one.
If you still have any I'd love one. It'll help with filling my Pokédex! :)

Suspicious_Jug

Neo Member
It's been a while since Sun/Moon came out, but I'd like Ultra to have more pokemon variety. I remember constantly running into Yungoos and Gumshoos. There weren't as many pokemon that I would instantly want in my team, though that might have been a problem specific to myself.

KingBroly

Banned

I'd like one so I don't have to go out of my way for the next few weeks if you don't mind.

I've recently picked Sun back up (and re-authorized Bank) to complete my Pokedex in Sun before US/UM hit. I'm not exactly a fan of some of the tedium involved in getting the Pokemon in this, although it's more likely my frustration with the mess of a Pokedex.

Mr-Joker

Banned
So I just finished up the post game of Pokémon Diamond, with the exception of re-battling my rival which I will do on Friday.

But as I was exploring Battle Island it really highlight why I found Kalos to be a meh region with it feeling more of Game Freak testing the 3D engine.

And the reason for that is that Game Freak gave a logical reasoning to Battle Island design.

For starter Battle Island has a massive Volcano so the region was mountainous and on route 228 the game map actually gave a reason so why the route was bombarded by sand storm and it was because of the wind from the sea blowing up the sand, thus giving a logical reasoning behind that design.

Now compare that to Route 13 in Kalos, it's a desert route that exist because...well the game never exactly explains how the desert was form, which is odd as Hoenn, Sinnoh and Unova and Alola both gave reasoning to how their desert route were formed.

But it just doesn't just the Kalos desert Route that feels off, it's also the rest of Kalos route where their theme just doesn't flow as well as past region and Kalos successor.

Well to be fair, until Gen VI you had a good 6 months or so where all we had were the Japanese names so I can actually understand people using the Japanese names---after using them for quite awhile one can argue it's the dub names that are harder to remember.

Of course I learn both sets so I don't have that issue, but use the dub names once they come out.

True, I recently found paper documents from Gen 4 and 5 when I was planing my teams and the Pokémon had their Japanese name, since the game had just released in Japan.

I should also point out that with some Pokémon I have given them nicknames based on their Japanese name as my nickname theme is that I take a part of their name but in some case I dip into their Japanese name if I feel that the English naming doesn't lend itself to a decent nickname.

For example my Charizard is nicknamed Char but my Blastoise on my Yellow team is nicknamed Zeni, which is taken from "Zenigame", Squirtle Japanese name.

I personally like getting nicknamed Pokemon in a trade. It makes me feel like I got a Pokemon that at least some care was put into.

Same, ever since I started nicknaming my Pokémon I end up feeling more of a bond with them, thus making them feel less like data.

Can I just consider Blue the final boss of HGSS because there's no chance I stand against Red

The beauty of Pokémon is that you can pretty much end it where ever you want to end it, so if you want to stop after defeating Blue you can do so.

I myself stop after defeating Blue in my Silver and Soul Silver version and only fight Red in my Crystal version.

Bought this for my friend. Took a while to make but it was great!

Man, Moltres looks like a rubber chicken.

Macka

So...what are everyone's ten favourite Pokemon? The last time I asked this was well before the release of Sun & Moon, so it'll be interesting to see which of the new 'mons hit the right notes with people. Mine hasn't changed much since XY:

charizard.png
gengar.png
arcanine.png
gliscor.png
tyranitar.png
noivern.png

aZZbdOu.png
umbreon.png
steelix.png
latios.png

Sprites here.

Top Bottom