• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2017 - Toot toot, Cold Steel Warrior, shaka brah

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Hey Steam Gaf - I preordered a PES2018 key off an external site, then realised that the store page isn't available in my country yet (Malaysia), so I went to cancel the key. If the store page doesn't go up on the same date as everywhere else, would I still be able to use the steam key, or would that game be unavailable in my region?

I ask, because this seems to happen every year with PES in my country. It is so weird, that every other country gets prices but Malaysia and China always gets held off. Does anyone know what's going on here?

Store page availability key activation eligibility are completely unrelated. That said, in this case you'd need to use a VPN to activate the key, but you'd be able to play the game as you usually would (i.e. without a VPN).

zkylon

zkylewd
upMJfiM.png

shit man this guy was tough

took me like 10 tries to beat him, really fun and thrilling boss fight. dude is simple but quick and finding windows to heal is really tough and requires a lot of preparation which is pretty hard to do (and a bit of rng i guess). all the boss fights so far had been pretty easy, only taking me two or three tries at most, but this guy is the first one that really had my heart racing, i kept getting nervous and screwing up midway through hehe

i'm kind of lost of where to go so been just randomly exploring and finding crap. i've unlocked a couple new abilities but still not sure where i can make some serious progress. we'll see, this method of exploring everything hasn't failed me before so will continue doing so

also
went ahead and deposited my money. i feel it's the honest thing to do and i kind of want to see what happens hehe
. but yea fuck u tizoc :3

The worst thing about FFXV rarely ever gets mentioned and that is the godawful sidequests.

There are like two sidequests in the game that have a story and one of them is a literal advertisement..

All other sidequests are literally just collectng beans from a field or slaying random ass sheep in a forest.
i feel this is kind of a complicated thing

yeah quests can sometimes be really loosely justified fetch quests but that doesn't necessarily mean they're bad

take two of my favorite open world games, dragons dogma and stalker. both games have absolutely trash quests, often of the "go to x and kill y" variety. what makes these quests cool is that they're there to guide the player to different places in the world, so that they might get lost there, find interesting stuff, fight new enemies, unlock other quests, etc.

so while i agree generic quests aren't too interesting, they do serve a useufl purpose if you look at the game holistically

heck, even in nier the quests are all fetchquest trash but the writing is good so they help you get in the mood and soak in the themes of the game

so yeah, it's not always about being the fallout style billion different outcomes. sometimes they just serve a higher purpose

Just started up Pillars of Eternity.
I'm probably going to spend the next hour in the character creator, lol.

this is me with every character creator

i don't spend less than an hour on creating my character like ever, and if i'm able i often end up changing it multiple times during my playthrough

kionedrik

upMJfiM.png

took me like 10 tries to beat him, really fun and thrilling boss fight. dude is simple but quick and finding windows to heal is really tough and requires a lot of preparation which is pretty hard to do (and a bit of rng i guess). all the boss fights so far had been pretty easy, only taking me two or three tries at most, but this guy is the first one that really had my heart racing, i kept getting nervous and screwing up midway through hehe

i'm kind of lost of where to go so been just randomly exploring and finding crap. i've unlocked a couple new abilities but still not sure where i can make some serious progress. we'll see, this method of exploring everything hasn't failed me before so will continue doing so

You're going the right way. The mid-game is weirdly paced but if you managed to fight that guy you're making progress. The first time I reached that zone I hadn't explored the
Crystal Peak (or whatever it's called)
yet so I couldn't reach that boss which led to me circling the whole map twice in order to get back on track. Random exploration is the main mechanic of this type of games.
Also, do you have
the Dream Nail?
If you do you should try it on that boss's corpse.

zkylon

zkylewd
You're going the right way. The mid-game is weirdly paced but if you managed to fight that guy you're making progress. The first time I reached that zone I hadn't explored the
Crystal Peak (or whatever it's called)
yet so I couldn't reach that boss which led to me circling the whole map twice in order to get back on track. Random exploration is the main mechanic of this type of games.
Also, do you have
the Dream Nail?
If you do you should try it on that boss's corpse.

well to answer your question i'll just say there's a reason it took me like 10 tries lol

Hektor

i feel this is kind of a complicated thing

yeah quests can sometimes be really loosely justified fetch quests but that doesn't necessarily mean they're bad

take two of my favorite open world games, dragons dogma and stalker. both games have absolutely trash quests, often of the "go to x and kill y" variety. what makes these quests cool is that they're there to guide the player to different places in the world, so that they might get lost there, find interesting stuff, fight new enemies, unlock other quests, etc.

so while i agree generic quests aren't too interesting, they do serve a useufl purpose if you look at the game holistically

heck, even in nier the quests are all fetchquest trash but the writing is good so they help you get in the mood and soak in the themes of the game

so yeah, it's not always about being the fallout style billion different outcomes. sometimes they just serve a higher purpose

But they don't do that either. They don't lead you to interesting places, they don't offer you interesting narrative, they don't give you any cool new gameplay or enemies to fight.

All they do is spawn an item or a generic enemy somehwere and tell you to kill them.

Trust me when i say there's been no design thought put into these at all, just like with most of the rest of the game.

FFXV is a case study in what happens when you do not put much thought into gamedesign and just go with "Let us put that in too"

Endruen

upMJfiM.png

also
went ahead and deposited my money. i feel it's the honest thing to do and i kind of want to see what happens hehe
. but yea fuck u tizoc :3
I just beat the game yesterday. The normal version of that guy took me a couple of tries too, but I managed to defeat that fucker faster.
And yeah, if you haven't explored Crystal Peaks, it's the way to go.

I need to play something actiony that I own and don't suck at...hummm - what yea all play as your go to actiony game?

I was going to say Warhammer 40k: Space Marine but you don't appear to own it. You should rectify that at your earliest convenience.

Darksiders I or II or Enslaved, Lost planet 3?

Strangely while I was writing this post I got 2 achievements from the game Collisions, a game I haven't played since 2015, it wasn't running, and is not installed on my computer!

Jimrpg

Store page availability key activation eligibility are completely unrelated. That said, in this case you'd need to use a VPN to activate the key, but you'd be able to play the game as you usually would (i.e. without a VPN).

Thank you JaseC. But why if it's unrelated do I need to use a VPN for PES 2018. Also I'm just a little hesitant to use anything VPN related in case something goes wrong. Steam could ban my account right?

So is this literally Dragon Quest Minecraft or am I missing something?

Yep that's exactly what it is but it's minecraft with mission objectives and with a story. There are four acts/chapters. The first act is basically a massive tutorial. They'll tell you find materials and go build a room, a chair, cook food, defend your town etc. it's pretty fun, relaxing game. Just fun to explore the world.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Thank you JaseC. But why if it's unrelated do I need to use a VPN for PES 2018.

The rest-of-world retail packages are set up in such a way that they cannot be registered to your account from a Malaysian IP address, however this isn't a result of the store page not being available on the Malaysian store. The two aren't interconnected in any way.

Also I'm just a little hesitant to use anything VPN related in case something goes wrong. Steam could ban my account right?

In theory, yes (well, restricted rather than banned as Valve stopped banning/suspending accounts ~six-and-a-half years ago), but in reality there are no reputable reports of somebody being banned/having their account restricted for VPN use unrelated to cross-region purchasing on the Steam Store itself. You'll find no shortage of people here who've used a VPN to unlock a game early or circumvent a regional restriction on a retail key, myself included.

You only live once, so I ordered a 1440p 27" IPS G-Sync Monitor. Bye-bye crappy slightly yellowish Samsung Monitor/TV.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (bobnowhere, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Flow: The Sliding -- MB-1671C338E72F97E8 - Taken by abelasabel

Kudo

hmm probably not gonna be goty edition

how much is goty edition on the playstation store for?

Can find some comments that it has been 20$ in the past for PS+ members, probably lot more normally.
I guess grabbing the physical would be good choice then dlc separately from sale if you like it, it wasn't that expensive in the first place.

Diedac

ModBot said:
Instructions for Diedac:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

DEFENSE TECHNICA -- MB-C6B30060AEED8E53 - Taken by Purkake4
FOUL PLAY -- MB-22072B24389BF599 - Taken by TheGreenArrow

I just spent an unreasonable amount of time with XCOM 2's new character editor.

Also, the propaganda photobooth

Safe to say i'm excited

Looking good! I hope they die nicely... my premades always do.

The one bummer about XCOM 2's premade characters is that armour upgrades nuke their visuals. Hopefully weird stuff like that doesn't happen to the posters in-game.

maybe it's just me but that raccoon game doesn't inspire confidence in me because THQ Nordic

Everything they touch turns to ashes, yes. But at least we'll have that one brief moment to enjoy the idea of it all.

Edit: I was thinking of Deep Silver with the Saint's Row side of THQ... however, my statement stands.

Grief.exe

TIL mainline Monster Hunter games have been releasing on PC for years, but only in Japan. Mindblowing that they didn't bring at least one of the multiplatform releases west. The timing may have been strange since Capcom JP wasn't paying attention to PC back in ~2010.

There's also the MMO that they released for the Chinese market. That's more understandable as they likely made a deal with a local publisher, and they own the game at that point.

I just spent an unreasonable amount of time with XCOM 2's new character editor.

Also, the propaganda photobooth

Safe to say i'm excited

These are amazing, do these only come with the new expansion, or as part of the regular game?

TIL mainline Monster Hunter games have been releasing on PC for years, but only in Japan. Mindblowing that they didn't bring at least one of the multiplatform releases west. The timing may have been strange since Capcom JP wasn't paying attention to PC back in ~2010.

There's also the MMO that they released for the Chinese market. That's more understandable as they likely made a deal with a local publisher, and they own the game at that point.

These are amazing, do these only come with the new expansion, or as part of the regular game?
It's all available in the XCOM 2: War of the Chosen Propaganda Centre demo.

But, to answer your question, the character creator (first set of Hektor's screenshots) is part of XCOM 2 vanilla, while the Propaganda Center (poster creator, second set of Hektor's screenshots) is part of the War of the Chosen expansion. The posters will appear randomly in missions.

Hektor

It coming from Nordic means that you probably shouldn't expect absolute AAA production values. But you don't need those to make a good game afterall.

Looking good! I hope they die nicely... my premades always do.

The one bummer about XCOM 2's premade characters is that armour upgrades nuke their visuals. Hopefully weird stuff like that doesn't happen to the posters in-game.

I'd think the posters are a one and done kindathing since they're just saved as .png's, tho there's also some actual data file in that folder as well.

Some of these items require you to own the DLC(s), some are from the base game.
I think you don't need to own the DLC to make them in the propaganda center, tho i don't know what would happen if you then import them back into the game

Tonton

There's also the MMO that they released for the Chinese market. That's more understandable as they likely made a deal with a local publisher, and they own the game at that point
Are you talking about the Frontier games?
They're not really mainline, I think they're more like MMOs which is why they appear everywhere even on PC and get no Western release
I think they're also not as well regarded as the main games

I still want then because they have tonfas

Nah, this never happened; You're mixing with the other MMO, Monster Hunter Frontier, which is a different MMO than Monster Hunter Online which was meant for China.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Blandsiders wasn't made by them so that's hardly something against them.

so THQ Nordic is just a publisher then, and apparently the developers are a small indie group

well this is more of cautious optimism, but I still am not fond of most of what THQN have published

Tonton

so THQ Nordic is just a publisher then, and apparently the developers are a small indie group

well this is more of cautious optimism, but I still am not fond of most of what THQN have published
Have they published anything that isn't a port of some IP they bought?

Also Darksiders is great fight me

Grief.exe

Are you talking about the Frontier games?
They're not really mainline, I think they're more like MMOs which is why they appear everywhere even on PC and get no Western release
I think they're also not as well regarded as the main games

I still want then because they have tonfas

Nah, this never happened; You're mixing with the other MMO, Monster Hunter Frontier, which is a different MMO than Monster Hunter Online which was meant for China.

That's probably it. I was looking at a video on the history of Monster Hunter with brief gameplay footage covering every game.

So it's fair to say that this is the first mainline MH game on PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom