• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming August 2017 | Better Layton Never

killercow

Wait something's weird. Plants Vs Zombies (and its HD version) are 64Bit. Seems EA wanted people to get on the free to play version.
At least if you bought it beforehand you still have it in your purchased list.

awp69

Still have trouble getting App Store links to copy correctly, but thought I’d recommend picking up Data Wing.

Very cool little minimalist top-down racer where you need to create speed by boosting off sides and using gravity pads to your advantage. Nice electronic music and cute little “data” story to go along with it. And it’s completely free — no ads, no IAPs.

Pachimari

Gotta create that Canadian account today, need in on that Tekken!

It's so weird that I can't create a new account directly from my iPad.

HotHamBoy

Gotta create that Canadian account today, need in on that Tekken!

It's so weird that I can't create a new account directly from my iPad.

Man, I was excited for it when I saw the headline on touch arcade but no thanks. I don't really want to play another gacha tap-swipe fighting game ala Injustice, MKX, Skullgirls.

Wait something's weird. Plants Vs Zombies (and its HD version) are 64Bit. Seems EA wanted people to get on the free to play version.
At least if you bought it beforehand you still have it in your purchased list.
Yeah, they wanted to phase out the paid version for a long time.

On Android the paid version stopped getting patches and certain features only came to the free version, not sure if the iOS version did the same thing, but it wouldn't surprise me.

In all honesty, I think the free version of PvZ1 is actually decently done. It just added some ads and gives you the option of buying some powerups. They didn't seem to fuck up the balance of the original game which is still great.

It just sucks that there doesn't seem to be an option to remove ads if you paid for the game originally.

HotHamBoy

Solforge, my favorite digital CCG (I spent around $300 over two years despite it also being easily the most generous of all CCGs I've played) is still alive and kicking!

solforge-blight-witch.jpg

If you didn't know, the game was set to die in January. The devs were no longer able to support the operation, which sucks because it's a super cool game with very unique mechanics. Well, they managed to get a donated server from another dev so those of us who really loved the game would still have a place to play.

All the same, without new card cycles I kind of just drifted away and games like Krosmaga, Elder Scrolls Legends and Faeria took its place.

On a whim, I just checked the website and was shocked to find that not only is the game still active, they even pushed a significant balance patch out on August 3rd.

If you guys are curious about the game or want to join me for a match I'd love to play.

In fact... to date, Solforge is the only digital CCG (that I'm aware of) that allows players to share cards. What this means is that you can give one copy of any card acquired with premium currency to another player while still keeping your original copy for yourself - effectively making every purchase a two for one and an awesome way to easily acquire specific cards you want in "trades."

I have a shitload of cards I can still share so, again, if there are any former (or current) players or people interested in a F2P account (I'll give you commons and uncommons for nothing, they are worthless to me) then let's play!

My user name is HotHamBoy

HotHamBoy

Another cross-post but just as a PSA:

RE: Legendary DXP

The game has an IAP of $2 that unlocks everything but the cosmetics you can buy with free and premium currency. Like Star Realms, basically.

The app is busted as fuck. I couldn't even get through a game against the bots without the UI breaking and making it impossible to continue. People are reporting a lot of problems like that as well as not being able to find matches.

Basically, the game feels like it was released in an alpha state to coincide with GenCon. It doesn't just lack polish, it lacks playability.

Devs have been actively communicating though and I'm sure it will be patched up, still not good.

I honestly don't know how the game passed cert, it's that bad.

awp69

^^ Sad to hear. But $2 is awesome if it unlocks all but cosmetics if they get it working right.

Wonder if they’ll increase that once it is (if it ever is)?

HotHamBoy

^^ Sad to hear. But $2 is awesome if it unlocks all but cosmetics if they get it working right.

Wonder if they’ll increase that once it is (if it ever is)?

I think the $2 tag is a launch special which makes sense because a) that's pretty low for such a big brand & b) the app is totally borked. So get it now if you want it cheap, it's not like they won't fix it. They've been really active talking to users online about it.

But still, word of warning. If you want a new, polished Deck Building Game you should grab Age of Rivals :)

As for cosmetics, the physical game isn't designed in a way that they could sell packs, just expansions. I'd expect expansions down the line but so far the shop just has fancy foil cards, card backs and playmats.

In fact, you can play unlimited quick match for free as far as I can tell. If you can get it to work.

awp69

Damn, i didnt realize AvSI had ingame timers... anyone played Pigeon Wings? Is it good?

Timers? Huh? I know there’s power ups you can buy with coins. And there are timed levels, but nothing that I’m aware of as far as something that stops gameplay.

And, yeah, mentioned Pigeon Wings earlier. Fun little game that combines short flying race levels and shmup like bosses. Think they added touch controls, but the motion controls work great. I’m enjoying it.

Matt Frost

Timers? Huh? I know there’s power ups you can buy with coins. And there are timed levels, but nothing that I’m aware of as far as something that stops gameplay.

And, yeah, mentioned Pigeon Wings earlier. Fun little game that combines short flying race levels and shmup like bosses. Think they added touch controls, but the motion controls work great. I’m enjoying it.

Ok maybe i should not called them timers but timed levels... my bad... ok, so... are all levels timed?

Im tired of BLUK and deciding between AvSI or Pigeon Wings

awp69

Ok maybe i should not called them timers but timed levels... my bad... ok, so... are all levels timed?

Im tired of BLUK and deciding between AvSI or Pigeon Wings

Now that I think about it, yeah they are all timed. That’s really the challenge of the game. You don’t have “lives”.

AvSI will be a much longer game with way more content. But Pigeon Wings is also fun. Hard call.

Matt Frost

Now that I think about it, yeah they are all timed. That’s really the challenge of the game. You don’t have “lives”.

AvSI will be a much longer game with way more content. But Pigeon Wings is also fun. Hard call.

Went with Pigeon Wings lets see

Man, seems like it has been ages since I owned an iOS product.

I got rid my iPad 2 (already on it's last breath) in the end of 2015 and just got me an iPad Mini 4 so I'm kind of lost!

I've been reviewing my past purchases and downloading them alongside with some new stuff like Vainglory.

Looks like Albion Online is going to be a fun MMORPG with PC and iOS crossplay, but there is still no launch date.

Are there any good MMORPG already? Not like WoW clones, something adapted to touchscreens?

Matt Frost

Pigeon Wings is quite nice and fun and everything is polished. Touch controls works well. Nice variety of mechanics put into it. Lovely theme. Glad i bought it.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Man, seems like it has been ages since I owned an iOS product.

I got rid my iPad 2 (already on it's last breath) in the end of 2015 and just got me an iPad Mini 4 so I'm kind of lost!

I've been reviewing my past purchases and downloading them alongside with some new stuff like Vainglory.

Looks like Albion Online is going to be a fun MMORPG with PC and iOS crossplay, but there is still no launch date.

Are there any good MMORPG already? Not like WoW clones, something adapted to touchscreens?

I mean, I have played a TON of Adventure Quest 3D. It's nothing ground breaking, but it's a neat little MMO. Simple dumb fun. But it's not for everyone...It's a bit grindy, and end-game grouping is hit or miss. But if you're just looking for a wander around with other people and kill shit game, it will work. Also it's free.

awp69

Guess Dream Quest got a 64-bit support in an update. For some reason never picked it up. Might have to grab it.

baconcow

Guess Dream Quest got a 64-bit support in an update. For some reason never picked it up. Might have to grab it.

It has had 64-but support for a long time (June 30, 2015 update). I’ve had it on my iOS 11 beta for some time. It’s odd that the notes would say “Update for iOS 11”. Must be bug fixes for iOS 11.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Is Super Phantom Cat 2 worth spending money to remove the timers? It seems like a neat little platformer, but not sure how much depth there is to the game at $5.

awp69

Is Super Phantom Cat 2 worth spending money to remove the timers? It seems like a neat little platformer, but not sure how much depth there is to the game at $5.

Have you played the first one? Haven’t played the second TBH since I hadn’t quite finished it and lost my progress due to iOS 11 upgrade issues.

But I love the first game and sounds like the second is along the same lines. So basically, if you liked the first, I’m sure the second is worth it.

Oynox

No talking about DATA WING around here? It is a completely free (seriously, without any ads or IAP) stylish racer which tinkles with gravity and is super satisfactory to play because you often pull such cool drifts when gliding along the curves. Absolutely fantastic game for the asking price of $0.

screen520x924.jpeg

PittaGAF

I played it a bit and it's really nice, tough I really suck badly at it.

Also, no one plays Cave fall?
I'm really addicted to it, unlocked almost everything already.

Oynox

played through this in one session. Really well made and somehow addicting despise the not exactly new gameplay. But I really had no ambition to unlock the other perks because I did not feel the value there.

awp69

I played it a bit and it's really nice, tough I really suck badly at it.

Cave Fall? Is that on iOS? Just searched and couldn’t find it.

Edit: never mind. Found it: Cavefall

PittaGAF

Yeah somewhat.

It's this one.

Cavefall: Endless Adventure di Isak Persson
https://itunes.apple.com/it/app/cavefall-endless-adventure/id1250622359?mt=8

At first I played curious about the 'story' then I unlocked the power ups, then I was hooked.
I've still 2 minor power ups to unlock...then it's all high score chasing.
My best is around 30K I think.

Nothing groundbreaking but it's well done and fun. I like how the screen shakes with the bombs and react to your pike slamming the walls.

PittaGAF

I feel bad for other devs this week....Darkest Dungeon is probably going to steal the lights for many, at least among TBS and iPad lovers.
I know I'll play the hell out of it as soon as it finishes downloading.

But let's not forget the second chapter of Ticket to Earth will be out too...it will probably start where the first chapter ended, difficulty wise, so we are in for awesomeness there too.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Have you played the first one? Haven’t played the second TBH since I hadn’t quite finished it and lost my progress due to iOS 11 upgrade issues.

But I love the first game and sounds like the second is along the same lines. So basically, if you liked the first, I’m sure the second is worth it.

I have not. So this is a first for me.

Also, Data Wing is OK. A biiiit floaty for me, though.

killercow

Final Fantasy XV Pocket Edition announced on Twitch, wants to be the same experience but "chibi-sized" and episodic, coming this autumn. Ten episodes, first one free.

PittaGAF

The one and the only.
Starbase Orion is terrific.

Plays wonderfully async too.
I had an EPIC game with 3 real friends and AI that lasted almost a year playing turns several times per day.
Alliances formed and were broken, the galaxy was shattered :p

The dev was incredible at the time, constantly supporting and adding features.
I understand he is working on the proper sequel now, after two 'minor' games (a card game on the same universe and a tactical naval battle game, which I loved too).

Top Bottom