• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Genesis/MegaDrive Appreciation Thread: Alien Storm > Golden Axe

IrishNinja

i guess i look at it on my backloggery and decide if its something i wanna see the end of or not, god knows a lotta arcadey type games are a blast & not an experience i need to see completed.

some of my all-time favorites - Zombies Ate My Neighbors, Rolling Thunder 2 etc - i just never finish. ive thought about using cheat devices & may one day if i really wanna see what happens but it's not so much the point of it. there's stuff like ToeJam & Earl or Fatal Labyrinth that i've beaten but often pick up & play just to see how far i get, and i enjoy them more that way too.

but, say, if i hadn't finally beaten Alex Kidd in Miracle World as a kid, i totally would've cheesed it to see how shit went down, cause the soul would still burn.

IrishNinja

i never learned if there was a right pattern there, just that changing your sign at the last possible second usually tied, if not won it

i hated so much stuff more than those things personally, like you spend hours & get to a new castle and there's just so many traps each room and you only had 1 life *sobs*

the dumbest one was this room of underwater spikes, right? like 3 rows of em i wanna say, and my sweaty palms, i got there twice in one afternoon just to die...even came in with a cane just to levitate & carefully maneuver around em...years later i find that if you just keep pushing right/left and don't tap up/down at all alex will not drift into said spikes on his own, despite that never being true in any other underwater sequence i know of

how the fuck was i supposed to know that shit, sega

how the fuck

i was just a kid

Khaz

i never learned if there was a right pattern there, just that changing your sign at the last possible second usually tied, if not won it

It's pseudoRNG based on your previous input, so the first sequence is always the same as long as yours is too. But mess up once, and you're back on guessing. You can find it on cheat websites.

tumblr_nc0fcb9VuO1s6mxo0o1_540.jpg

lmao

EmiPrime

Speaking of save states, I thought I should upgrade from my old Everdrive to get them. I made an account on Krikkz's new store and after registration my password was sent in plaintext as part of the welcome email!

Friendly reminder that websites with poor security like that are why you never reuse passwords.

I started playing Alex Kidd In the Enchanted Castle today. I'm not a big fan. Somehow it's the first Alex Kidd game I've ever played.

And oh yeah I had an activator and it is trash.The vhs that came with it is great though. I thought it would at least be fun to bat in world series baseball with it but it never even worked reliably enough for that.

IrishNinja

it's an alright game, it's not his best - those'd be miracle world & shinobi world on the SMS. as an alex kidd fan (as all classic sega fans should be) it was a conclusion to the series, though.

eXistor

Finally decided to get Contra Hard Corps. I've been wanting that one for ages (like so many other games), but the price was always a bit too high for my liking (like so many other games). So I decided to just pony up the dough and get it before it gets too ridiculous (like so many other games). I'll post pics when I get it in. Never played it too, I'm ready to get my ass kicked! (like so many other games)

Finally decided to get Contra Hard Corps. I've been wanting that one for ages (like so many other games), but the price was always a bit too high for my liking (like so many other games). So I decided to just pony up the dough and get it before it gets too ridiculous (like so many other games). I'll post pics when I get it in. Never played it too, I'm ready to get my ass kicked! (like so many other games)
Grats on the pickup. It's near the top of my list on games I need to grab. The price is at least a little more reasonable than Bloodlines which I also want.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Glad i got both of them about ten years ago. Still, for some reason i was happy getting only a cart of Contra which i still kick myself for.

Anyways, i know there are different versions of the six button controller. I only own a thirdparty one which kinda sucks, so i wonder if anybody could point me in the right direction to the best official one.

eXistor

Grats on the pickup. It's near the top of my list on games I need to grab. The price is at least a little more reasonable than Bloodlines which I also want.

I actually used to own that twice (got another one in a package deal) But I was a giant idiot back then and sold it to a retail store for maybe €20,-. I kept the one in the best condition, but I still regret that move.

/edit: it's the PAL version though, that one's prpbably not worth quitre as much as the US and especially JP version.

Best RPG. Enjoy!
i want shining series, soon!
Nice pickups, David. I always love to see your haul posts.
thanks man!
Nice pick up David! Not a bad price for how clean it looks... wasn't it $100 when it first came out?
yeah i believe so it was $100.

since i paid alot, hope you don't mind me sharing more photos =)
the manual has no creases, i don't think anyone even used the manual.

TheShinobi

Neo Member
I finally *almost* beat The Revenge of Shinobi. I got to the final boss but it kicked my ass. I love what I played though and its definitely one of my favorites of all time even though I suck at it.

Finally got an email update about my Paprium preorder. In true Watermelon fashion, it was filled with drama and despair. I'm glad they've resolved their paypal issues but I wonder how it got that way in the first place.

I finally *almost* beat The Revenge of Shinobi. I got to the final boss but it kicked my ass. I love what I played though and its definitely one of my favorites of all time even though I suck at it.

Not sure if I've ever beaten a Shinobi game. That's fine though. I think gamers get so stuck on the idea of finishing games that they stop being fun. I blame modern games where all you need to beat most titles is time.

IrishNinja

damn Dave, that PS IV is clean as fuck! miss the manual to mine, haha...and yeah again i had a $100 EB gift card that barely left me enough change for the bus ride hope when i bought mine at launch in '95...still a top 10 RPG for me too

butwhy.gif

haha yeah id have to see how this went first, god knows Sacred Line was a port and i dug it for what it was but man was it weird/short/unfinished

It's a tough one, that's for sure.

I started playing Alisia Dragoon for the first time today. I think I've got my work cut out for me as I only made it to the level two boss. It is definitely fun I need to experiment with the companions and get a better grasp on all the upgrades. Seems there are a lot of hidden areas and secrets.

Congrats on PS4.
I still need Shining Force 2 to complete my set.
i was on the hunt for those titles for a while but slipped my mind, need to find them.
i just remember not having ninja magic for the final boss is difficult. but if you have a POW and ninja magic it's very short.
using lighting force field it's the POW sword kills him fast.

Shinobi arcade is one of my favorite games ever. i can beat it in 1 quarter still. at times 1 or 2 lives depending on destroying all those Mandara statues (mission 3 boss) almost impossible to do on the 1st life but second try they weaken.

damn Dave, that PS IV is clean as fuck! miss the manual to mine, haha...and yeah again i had a $100 EB gift card that barely left me enough change for the bus ride hope when i bought mine at launch in '95...still a top 10 RPG for me too
thanks man! pretty excited =)

It's a tough one, that's for sure.

I started playing Alisia Dragoon for the first time today. I think I've got my work cut out for me as I only made it to the level two boss. It is definitely fun I need to experiment with the companions and get a better grasp on all the upgrades. Seems there are a lot of hidden areas and secrets.
hey i think i was blind bidding on Alisia Dragoon, is that a side scroller action game?

Top Bottom