• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Playstation: First Party Studios & their Current Projects

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Sure, the SotC remake is better than any of the PSX remasters (and Wipeout wouldn't have even been at PSX if they'd had a Euro show last year), but who cares if we already expected an Uncharted 4 DLC announcement? A new standalone Uncharted featuring two established but unexpected characters was a big deal. The combination of that and TLOU2 alone made PSX 2016 one of the better shows in recent memory.

Unless Spider-Man's delayed, it's meant to be coming out in the first half of 2018, so we're going to have to get a release date at one of these two conferences. Same thing goes with God of War and Shadow of the Colossus. And then I think we're going to have to start hearing about release windows for games scheduled for the second half of 2018, which I assume will include Detroit and Days Gone.

As far as major announcements go, I'm not as pessimistic as you. I don't think we'll get any from Sony (outside of MLB obviously) but I absolutely think we'll get one or two from third parties. Capcom and Bandai Namco have both announced major games at PSX in previous years, so they're obvious candidates.

I agree with the unexpected characters being a big deal but at the same time, the expansion was still known and anticipated. While Chloe and Nadine were great, they were already known, especially Chloe. If one or both of them were new characters, then I would put that as a bigger deal. TLOUP2 was great but I was also expecting a sequel to the first game at some point as it made too much money for there not to be a sequel. The surprise wasn't that it was announced/shown but that it was announced/shown at PSX which could also be seen as a mistake because now, majority are looking for big announcements because of that.

I don't think that Spider Man is being delayed but I also don't see it pre-E3. I think that it will be a summer game at the earliest. I have Detroit pegged for mid to late April. If it hits in the fall, it will bomb in my opinion. Days Gone will be the September/October game. My guess is October more than September. And I also don't believe Layden when he said that every game shown was being released in the first half of next year. I think he was talking more about their fiscal year next year which would be from April through September.

SOTC remake is the perfect around E3/June game. Yeah, there could be major announcements from third parties but that depends on the publisher and if it's considered major. At this point, I don't really consider any announcement from Capcom at to be major. Namco/Bandai is a possibility but with them publishing Ni No Kuni 2 in January, are they really going to announce a game that could possibly overshadow Ni No Kuni 2 six weeks out from release?

Since before E3, I have said that 2017 will be more in line with 2014 as opposed to 2015/2016 and it will be E3 2018 where Sony "reloads". And when you truly think about it, do they even need to show anything? Seriously, they could hibernate for two years and it wouldn't even hurt them whatsoever.

You look at November 7th with The Frozen Wilds being released and this in of itself blows away anything and everything on Xbox One for the entire year of 2017. Seriously, it's not even close. Nintendo is doing great but quite simply, they have to in order to keep those who invested in a Switch to stay invested. It would also be wiser for Sony to hold off anyway because when you see Zelda/Mario in the same year, you pretty much know that you won't see either again for years so why announce/show any major games when you've already shown plenty and can wait another six months (from PSX) to E3 2018?

I simply believe that Sony has no reason to show off anything new whatsoever because you already know about games that are at least another two or more years away. Why show more when there's no reason to do so? Better off saving unannounced stuff for after other games have been released and people are ready to see new stuff.

Of course, this is just my own personal opinion/preference/prediction. Either way, I'll still be watching PGW and PSX regardless but I go in with low expectations because im more likely to be surprised, excited and satisfied as opposed to going in with high expectations. To each their own though.

AmuroChan

Polyphony Digital is about to release GT Sport, SSM God of War, MM is still working on Dreams,GG already release a game and their DLC is about to come out, Sony London is working on new PSVR games.

Bend Studio is working on Days Gone,QD is working on Detroit, Sony San Diego release MLB already this year.Sony Japan just release another 2 games back to back and releasing a VR game No Heroes Allowed next month.

Only studio that can announced something is Suckerpunch.

We don't know what Manchester studio or GG's Shadowfall team are working on. There's also Pixelopus and there are certainly some unannounced titles being worked on at Japan Studio as well since they have multiple teams.

I think that E3 was equal or better than PSX 2016. The Lost Legacy was expected due to Uncharted 4's season pass/dlc. It being a standalone expansion was the surprise but I was still fully expecting the dlc/expansion to be shown. SOTC remake crushes Wipeout and the trilogy of those three other games. TLOUP2 was the only real surprise but at the same time, Sony didn't want to show it most likely because they already knew what was going to be shown at E3. TLOUP2 should have been saved for E3's ending.

I think PGW and PSX will be all about what's being released before E3 2018 with updated gameplay videos of Spider Man and Days Gone. I don't see a single major announcement whatsoever at either conference. Sony not wanting to show TLOUP2 at PSX last year was because A) they wanted to save it for E3 since they knew the conference wouldn't match/surpass the previous two, B) they don't want to officially announce/show games that are further out and C) they prefer to double down on what they've already shown and announced the previous two years.

Eh I disagree with this even as a massive SotC fan. PSX last year was really good. It had a nice mix of new game announcements, new localization announcements and shadow drops. What hurt it was underwhelming trailers for things like Horizon: Zero Dawn, montage trailers without names and nothing interesting for PSVR. With E3 this year nearly half of their non-VR games were there last year and a few things that weren't leaked days before the show. For PSVR the quality they showed was really mixed. The year before they had Resident Evil 7, Farpoint (a first party game), Battlefront and Batman (and to a lesser extent FFXV). This year they had more games but nearly half of them came from unknown developers. Skyrim VR is a strong announcement but it not looking great didn't help either.

We don't know what Manchester studio or GG's Shadowfall team are working on. There's also Pixelopus and there are certainly some unannounced titles being worked on at Japan Studio as well since they have multiple teams.

Nearly everyone on Shadowfall worked on Horizon: Zero Dawn. Unless they salvaged a lot of people from their Cambridge studio you should expect their next game to be Horizon: Zero Dawn 2.

Loudninja

Sure I mean not far along enough to announced.

These studios right now are spent.

That's from an internal team + existing multi-game partnership studios perspective.

To me, the reduced scope of announcements so far this year hasn't bothered me a lot, because last year's announcement was very very strong... and for the time being, there's not indication that their actual release portfolio is weaker ( other than their pull-back of first-party indies )...

BUT- and this is an important but...

It doesn't really excuse weak showcases. I understand why E3 this year was weaker ( their only announcement was an early 2018 game, whereas in previous years Sony was willing to announce games that were >18 months off ), but just because there's a reason for a weaker show doesn't change the fact that it was a weaker showing period.

The lesson for Sony here is simple. A show like E3 2016 is great and all, but if that increased in announcement quantity/quality wasn't because you actually increased the number of games in your development pipeline but because you brought forward announcements that would had normally been reserved for 12 months later, maybe don't do that next time because sooner or later, there'll be one year that highlights that.

Also, I would hope Sony has more AAA stuff in the pipeline other than what Sucker Punch and other known internal/external teams are working on. More stuff like Spidey is always a good thing.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Eh I disagree with this even as a massive SotC fan. PSX last year was really good. It had a nice mix of new game announcements, new localization announcements and shadow drops. What hurt it was underwhelming trailers for things like Horizon: Zero Dawn, montage trailers without names and nothing interesting for PSVR. With E3 this year nearly half of their non-VR games were there last year and a few things that weren't leaked days before the show. For PSVR the quality they showed was really mixed. The year before they had Resident Evil 7, Farpoint (a first party game), Battlefront and Batman (and to a lesser extent FFXV). This year they had more games but nearly half of them came from unknown developers. Skyrim VR is a strong announcement but it not looking great didn't help either.

For me, E3 2017 was better than PSX 2016 for one simple reason - MORE GAMEPLAY for games that im interested in. Any game that can be played without VR, I simply don't count as a PSVR game. It's compatible but that's as far as it goes in my opinion. I'll give you Farpoint but the rest, meh.

To see more gameplay of The Lost Legacy, GOW, debut gameplay for Spider Man, Days Gone and Detroit was enough for me simply because these are the games that are closer to release and that's what I want to see.

Neith

Banned
Seriously, I have so many fucking games to play I want them to take their sweet ass time. Either some people have fucking NICHE tastes on here or you have way too much time on your hands.

Jesus christ there are so many games this year alone I have not played yet. Never mind the last ten years and then 20 before that with emulation.

The God

You look at November 7th with The Frozen Wilds being released and this in of itself blows away anything and everything on Xbox One for the entire year of 2017. Seriously, it's not even close. Nintendo is doing great but quite simply, they have to in order to keep those who invested in a Switch to stay invested. It would also be wiser for Sony to hold off anyway because when you see Zelda/Mario in the same year, you pretty much know that you won't see either again for years so why announce/show any major games when you've already shown plenty and can wait another six months (from PSX) to E3 2018?

I simply believe that Sony has no reason to show off anything new whatsoever because you already know about games that are at least another two or more years away. Why show more when there's no reason to do so? Better off saving unannounced stuff for after other games have been released and people are ready to see new stuff.
Because it's important to stay in the conversation and keep your base excited? They won't gain anything by staying quiet (which creates narratives like "they blew their load in 2016") while their competition is making noise
Nintendo?

Yeah, who cares about releasing games, it's all about the announcements.

damn you're right I forgot you couldn't do both

I agree with the unexpected characters being a big deal but at the same time, the expansion was still known and anticipated. While Chloe and Nadine were great, they were already known, especially Chloe. If one or both of them were new characters, then I would put that as a bigger deal. TLOUP2 was great but I was also expecting a sequel to the first game at some point as it made too much money for there not to be a sequel. The surprise wasn't that it was announced/shown but that it was announced/shown at PSX which could also be seen as a mistake because now, majority are looking for big announcements because of that.

You seem like you're trying way too hard to downplay what were two of the biggest announcements of that year. Like, how can anyone possibly argue that new characters would've made The Lost Legacy a bigger deal? You're just making shit up.

I don't think that Spider Man is being delayed but I also don't see it pre-E3. I think that it will be a summer game at the earliest. I have Detroit pegged for mid to late April. If it hits in the fall, it will bomb in my opinion. Days Gone will be the September/October game. My guess is October more than September. And I also don't believe Layden when he said that every game shown was being released in the first half of next year. I think he was talking more about their fiscal year next year which would be from April through September.

Well if you're not going to take a very clear statement Layden made at face value, there's not much point talking to you about this, is there? He's not some clueless Sony employee, he's the Chairman of WWS and knows what he's talking about. And no, he wasn't talking about the fiscal year because we know God of War was one of the games he was talking about and that's already been announced for Q1.

My guess are that God of War will come out in March, Shadow of the Colossus in April and then Spider-Man in May/early June. Then maybe Detroit around July/August and Days Gone in September/October. Though I wouldn't be surprised if Days Gone were delayed into early 2019 because that's generally what happens with Sony's Q3/Q4 scheduled games.

That's from an internal team + existing multi-game partnership studios perspective.

To me, the reduced scope of announcements so far this year hasn't bothered me a lot, because last year's announcement was very very strong... and for the time being, there's not indication that their actual release portfolio is weaker ( other than their pull-back of first-party indies )...

BUT- and this is an important but...

It doesn't really excuse weak showcases. I understand why E3 this year was weaker ( their only announcement was an early 2018 game, whereas in previous years Sony was willing to announce games that were >18 months off ), but just because there's a reason for a weaker show doesn't change the fact that it was a weaker showing period.

The lesson for Sony here is simple. A show like E3 2016 is great and all, but if that increased in announcement quantity/quality wasn't because you actually increased the number of games in your development pipeline but because you brought forward announcements that would had normally been reserved for 12 months later, maybe don't do that next time because sooner or later, there'll be one year that highlights that.

Also, I would hope Sony has more AAA stuff in the pipeline other than what Sucker Punch and other known internal/external teams are working on. More stuff like Spidey is always a good thing.

Agreed on all points. Another big problem with E3 2017 was the poor format, short length and deliberate lack of AA and indie games made the entire show seem less interesting and worse overall, especially in hindsight. It left a bad taste in people's mouths.

FelipeMGM

I dont think thats a thing anymore. Steven ter Heide was Shadowfall director and he worked with GC overseeing RIGS and left the studio earlier this year

Guerrilla should be 100% on Horizon Frozen Wilds and Horizon ''2''

mejin

This year some announcements made before the shows..I think it hurts a bit Sony. Of course Sony does have responsability for their decisions too.

In E3 we saw some leaks like Dissidia Final Fantasy NT and 13 Sentinels Aegis Rim localization. They would do good to be revelead at the conference. Sony also did a Pre-Show with content it could perfectly be in their show.

Pre-TGS conference could have both Kiwami 2 and Hokuto as announcements too.

Since we have new announcements from everywhere (ps blogs, famitsu, dengeki, 3rd party particular events, etc) we know there is a lot coming to PS4 but people always need to be disengeouns about it. So, maybe it's time to do less shows or start to concentrate more announcements for their show.

The God

You did but it is okay. You even used "comparable" lol.

Anyway, as I said, I think third party will carry more weight. The "holding back announcements" thing can still hold true in that regard. First party is almost entirely accounted for.

I compared the response to their announcement droughts, not their "first party situations"

If you wanna interpret it that way then do you, but that's not what I said.

Skeeter49

This year some announcements made before the shows..I think it hurts a bit Sony. Of course Sony does have responsability for their decisions too.

In E3 we saw some leaks like Dissidia Final Fantasy NT and 13 Sentinels Aegis Rim localization. They would do good to be revelead at the conference. Sony also did a Pre-Show with content it could perfectly be in their show.

Pre-TGS conference could have both Kiwami 2 and Hokuto as announcements too.

Since we have new announcements from everywhere (ps blogs, famitsu, dengeki, 3rd party particular events, etc) we know there is a lot coming to PS4 but people always need to be disengeouns about it. So, maybe it's time to do less shows or start to concentrate more announcements for their show.
It's weird we didn't get Kiwami 2 gameplay at TGS.

The pre show at E3 was definately Sony's fault, since most of that was First Party.

Maybe we didn't get it at Sony pre-TGS conference, but technically TGS hasn't started yet. It's starting tomorrow.

Yeah, we got the first Kiwami 2 trailer from the conference and then we'll undoubtedly get the first gameplay from one of the Sega live streams (there's four Yakuza ones but if I remember correctly, they just repeat the same stuff each time for the live audience).

Everybody's entitled to their opinions, but no matter what board I'm on, I hear polar opposite opinions which goes to show you can't please everybody.

Complaints I heard after E3 2015 and 2016: "Yeah, tons of announcements, but what's coming out this year lol? All that stuff is years away. Don't know when Horizon's coming. Don't know FFVII. Don't know Shenmue III. Other stuff is 2016."

Complaints I heard after E3 2017: "Not enough new announcements. They just showed stuff coming this year and next year, but what about new announcements of faraway stuff, the stuff coming in 2019 and 2020?"

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Because it's important to stay in the conversation and keep your base excited? They won't gain anything by staying quiet (which creates narratives like "they blew their load in 2016") while their competition is making noise

If the fan base isn't excited because new games aren't being announced at every conference, im sorry but that's just sad. Why not be excited for the games that have been announced and will be coming out in the present time and not to distant future because you know, you can finally play them? I will never understand why fans get excited for announcements of games that are literally years away but yet forget all the games that have been released or are right around the corner. I simply look at it in a different way and I simply think that Sony doesn't want to show games that are further out. I think they have realized that there's no positive in doing that. After all, what's the fan base going to do, sell their PS4? LOL. Seriously, come on. If you own a PS4, it's literally for the exclusives that you're waiting to be released so you can play them. How not getting an announcement at every conference changes that is beyond me. I just don't understand fans who get more excited and hyped for the announcement as opposed to when they're actually playing the game. Makes no sense to me. I care about the game and if it's good. Not when it's announced.

As for their competition, let's be honest, that's pretty much non-existent as they are simply too far ahead. Microsoft has literally nothing that's worth spending $500 on X in my opinion. As for Switch, it's the hot in demand item but at the same time, it's limited. If it wasn't for being limited, the Switch being in demand as much as it is may not be as much. Instead of the "noise" coming from the announcements, I prefer the "noise" to be from how good or great the game is. That's what I care about but to each their own.

LiquidSolid said:
You seem like you're trying way too hard to downplay what were two of the biggest announcements of that year. Like, how can anyone possibly argue that new characters would've made The Lost Legacy a bigger deal? You're just making shit up.

I'm not downplaying The Lost Legacy at all. In fact, it's my third best game of the generation but I don't get overhyped or excited when trailers and gameplay videos are shown for any game that's eight months away. I'll get that way when the game is less than a month away because barring some disaster, the game is being released 100% and I know that I'll definitely be playing it. I knew the announcement was coming. It was a given. I didn't know who the characters were going to be and yeah, it being Chloe as the lead was awesome with Nadine as the supporting character. It was an excellent gameplay video but im sorry, I wouldn't put that as a huge announcement or surprising because how can it be when you already know it's coming?

I do think The Last of Us Part II was a far bigger announcement because no one expected it but I still prefer E3 2017 because I was shown more gameplay videos of games I want and will play. Of course, I stopped getting hyped years ago so maybe that's just me. I get hyped when the game is close and when playing the actual game for myself. Reason why I said that new characters would have made TLL a bigger deal is because that would have been a true surprise and completely unexpected but this is just my own personal opinion.

LiquidSolid said:
Well if you're not going to take a very clear statement Layden made at face value, there's not much point talking to you about this, is there? He's not some clueless Sony employee, he's the Chairman of WWS and knows what he's talking about. And no, he wasn't talking about the fiscal year because we know God of War was one of the games he was talking about and that's already been announced for Q1.

My guess are that God of War will come out in March, Shadow of the Colossus in April and then Spider-Man in May/early June. Then maybe Detroit around July/August and Days Gone in September/October. Though I wouldn't be surprised if Days Gone were delayed into early 2019 because that's generally what happens with Sony's Q3/Q4 scheduled games.

Layden is also good at PR as well. He also said this after the E3 press conference simply because majority were disappointed in the lack of new game announcements and trailers. What else is he going to say? Do you honestly believe that GOW, Detroit, Spider Man, Days Gone and Spider Man are ALL coming out in the first half of 2018? Come on bud. It's just PR to get people to calm down after majority thought that it was a lackluster E3 press conference especially when compared to the previous two years.

Solid guesses. I have GOW as being released in March 100%. SOTC around E3 with my guess being after so they can do one last push at their conference. I have Detroit in April. Spider Man will be after E3 100%. I don't think that there's a chance in hell of it being released pre-E3. And in May? Unless RDR2 gets delayed out of May (Rockstar said Spring, my guess is May), there's no way Sony is going to release Spider Man close to RDR2 especially since they have the marketing for the game. Summer would be perfect. After July 4th sometime since the summer is always dead until late August. My guess for Days Gone is October but I wouldn't be surprised if it gets pushed into 2019.

One thing is for sure - any game that is getting released before next year's E3 is pretty much guaranteed to get a release date at PGW or PSX. If any game doesn't get a release date at either of those two conferences, then I see those games as being released after E3.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Everybody's entitled to their opinions, but no matter what board I'm on, I hear polar opposite opinions which goes to show you can't please everybody.

Complaints I heard after E3 2015 and 2016: "Yeah, tons of announcements, but what's coming out this year lol? All that stuff is years away. Don't know when Horizon's coming. Don't know FFVII. Don't know Shenmue III. Other stuff is 2016."

Complaints I heard after E3 2017: "Not enough new announcements. They just showed stuff coming this year and next year, but what about new announcements of faraway stuff, the stuff coming in 2019 and 2020?"

This 1000%.

I heard these very complaints on this very board almost certainty by the same ppl lol

I'm not downplaying The Lost Legacy at all. In fact, it's my third best game of the generation but I don't get overhyped or excited when trailers and gameplay videos are shown for any game that's eight months away. I'll get that way when the game is less than a month away because barring some disaster, the game is being released 100% and I know that I'll definitely be playing it. I knew the announcement was coming. It was a given. I didn't know who the characters were going to be and yeah, it being Chloe as the lead was awesome with Nadine as the supporting character. It was an excellent gameplay video but im sorry, I wouldn't put that as a huge announcement or surprising because how can it be when you already know it's coming?

I do think The Last of Us Part II was a far bigger announcement because no one expected it but I still prefer E3 2017 because I was shown more gameplay videos of games I want and will play. Of course, I stopped getting hyped years ago so maybe that's just me. I get hyped when the game is close and when playing the actual game for myself. Reason why I said that new characters would have made TLL a bigger deal is because that would have been a true surprise and completely unexpected but this is just my own personal opinion.

Because it WAS a major announcement?! Just because you knew something was coming, doesn't change the fact that it was a major announcement. Using your logic, God of War and Horizon weren't major announcements either because, thanks to leaks, we knew both were coming long beforehand. It's silly.

Layden is also good at PR as well. He also said this after the E3 press conference simply because majority were disappointed in the lack of new game announcements and trailers. What else is he going to say? Do you honestly believe that GOW, Detroit, Spider Man, Days Gone and Spider Man are ALL coming out in the first half of 2018? Come on bud. It's just PR to get people to calm down after majority thought that it was a lackluster E3 press conference especially when compared to the previous two years.

Solid guesses. I have GOW as being released in March 100%. SOTC around E3 with my guess being after so they can do one last push at their conference. I have Detroit in April. Spider Man will be after E3 100%. I don't think that there's a chance in hell of it being released pre-E3. And in May? Unless RDR2 gets delayed out of May (Rockstar said Spring, my guess is May), there's no way Sony is going to release Spider Man close to RDR2 especially since they have the marketing for the game. Summer would be perfect. After July 4th sometime since the summer is always dead until late August. My guess for Days Gone is October but I wouldn't be surprised if it gets pushed into 2019.

One thing is for sure - any game that is getting released before next year's E3 is pretty much guaranteed to get a release date at PGW or PSX. If any game doesn't get a release date at either of those two conferences, then I see those games as being released after E3.

Yes, Layden is good at PR and that's why he wouldn't just make up a blatant lie like that because he'd know that if any of those games slipped into the second half of the year, all the headlines would be saying "Sony delays yet another game." It's the entire reason why Sony stopped announcing release dates and windows early. If all he wanted to do was make a useless PR statement he would've been far more vague.

The idea of running away from RDR2's release date reminds me of all those people who said Sony should delay Horizon because it was coming out a week before BotW. Turns out it didn't make a difference whatsoever and neither did Ghost Recon Wildlands, which came out just a few days later and is the best selling game of 2017 so far. Sure, you probably wouldn't want to release it the same week as RDR2 but a week or two gap would be fine. Spider-Man's a huge game, it's not going to get lost in the shuffle.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Because it WAS a major announcement?! Just because you knew something was coming, doesn't change the fact that it was a major announcement. Using your logic, God of War and Horizon weren't major announcements either because, thanks to leaks, we knew both were coming long beforehand. It's silly.

I just didn't see The Lost Legacy the same way as you do but to each their own. Rumors regarding GOW and Horizon is a lot different than a season pass that includes single player DLC in which ND confirmed what it was going to be. The only surprise was that it was going to be a $40 standalone game. That you could say was the huge announcement but that wasn't said or confirmed until afterwards so I still don't see the announcement of The Lost Legacy like you do. Sorry.

Yes, Layden is good at PR and that's why he wouldn't just make up a blatant lie like that because he'd know that if any of those games slipped into the second half of the year, all the headlines would be saying "Sony delays yet another game." It's the entire reason why Sony stopped announcing release dates and windows early. If all he wanted to do was make a useless PR statement he would've been far more vague.

The idea of running away from RDR2's release date reminds me of all those people who said Sony should delay Horizon because it was coming out a week before BotW. Turns out it didn't make a difference whatsoever and neither did Ghost Recon Wildlands, which came out just a few days later and is the best selling game of 2017 so far. Sure, you probably wouldn't want to release it the same week as RDR2 but a week or two gap would be fine. Spider-Man's a huge game, it's not going to get lost in the shuffle.

First, ALL of these executives lie. Second, he could believe what he was saying to be the truth but it's funny how he only said what he said after the conference. If it was really true, he would have said that during the conference but he didn't. Again, just PR speak. And a game can't be delayed if it was never given a release date/window to begin with. Pushed back, sure but delayed, nope.

BOTW was exclusively for Switch. GRW's marketing was with Microsoft and it's a multi-platform game. While RDR2 is also a multi-platform game, the difference is that Sony has the marketing deal and more importantly, RDR2 will be a bigger game than GRW. Why would Sony release Spider Man around or near RDR2? GRW's sales are also across three platforms? BOTW and Horizon were/are only one. RDR2 would be two or three if there's a PC release.

Just don't see why Sony would release any exclusive they have in the same month as RDR2 when they could use RDR2 for it's release month to push PS4's and then use Spider Man in the summer when it's slow. Just have to wait and see.

I just didn't see The Lost Legacy the same way as you do but to each their own. Rumors regarding GOW and Horizon is a lot different than a season pass that includes single player DLC in which ND confirmed what it was going to be. The only surprise was that it was going to be a $40 standalone game. That you could say was the huge announcement but that wasn't said or confirmed until afterwards so I still don't see the announcement of The Lost Legacy like you do. Sorry.

First, ALL of these executives lie. Second, he could believe what he was saying to be the truth but it's funny how he only said what he said after the conference. If it was really true, he would have said that during the conference but he didn't. Again, just PR speak. And a game can't be delayed if it was never given a release date/window to begin with. Pushed back, sure but delayed, nope.

BOTW was exclusively for Switch. GRW's marketing was with Microsoft and it's a multi-platform game. While RDR2 is also a multi-platform game, the difference is that Sony has the marketing deal and more importantly, RDR2 will be a bigger game than GRW. Why would Sony release Spider Man around or near RDR2? GRW's sales are also across three platforms? BOTW and Horizon were/are only one. RDR2 would be two or three if there's a PC release.

Just don't see why Sony would release any exclusive they have in the same month as RDR2 when they could use RDR2 for it's release month to push PS4's and then use Spider Man in the summer when it's slow. Just have to wait and see.

We still don't know when exactly RDR2 is coming out. Releasing Spider-Man the same day as it would be stupid but 2-3 weeks of buffer is enough time for it to do well. I don't think we'll get an exact date for Spider-Man until they're confident they know when RDR2 is releasing.

"We're making single player Uncharted 4 DLC" isn't even remotely confirming what Lost Legacy eventually turned out as. But hey, even if we say it is, I'll then point to Cory Barlog confirming he was working on a new God of War at PSX 2014.

As an aside, we didn't just get rumours of God of War and Horizon, we got official concept art from them.

Really? Come on. "All of these executives lie" is a nothing argument. Go find sources where he's consistently lied if that's what you think, don't just throw accusations around in an attempt to win a silly internet argument. Christ. Of course he said it after the conference, he said it in an interview when asked a question about Sony's games lineup. And release window is exactly how everyone took that statement, whether you like it or not.

I know BotW was on different platforms but it's still the same silly argument. It's as if some people think the industry is far smaller than it is and can't handle two major releases in close proximity, And if Sony can handle GT Sport, Battlefront 2 and CoD WW2 all coming out within a month later this year, I think they can handle RDR2 and Spider-Man coming out around the same time (if that even happens).

Why would Sony release Spider-Man around or near RDR2? First off, as unknownstranger pointed out, you're acting as if your made-up RDR2 release date is fact. Second, a better question would be "why would Sony run like a terrified child from one major game release?"

The God

If the fan base isn't excited because new games aren't being announced at every conference, im sorry but that's just sad. Why not be excited for the games that have been announced and will be coming out in the present time and not to distant future because you know, you can finally play them? I will never understand why fans get excited for announcements of games that are literally years away but yet forget all the games that have been released or are right around the corner. I simply look at it in a different way and I simply think that Sony doesn't want to show games that are further out. I think they have realized that there's no positive in doing that. After all, what's the fan base going to do, sell their PS4? LOL. Seriously, come on. If you own a PS4, it's literally for the exclusives that you're waiting to be released so you can play them. How not getting an announcement at every conference changes that is beyond me. I just don't understand fans who get more excited and hyped for the announcement as opposed to when they're actually playing the game. Makes no sense to me. I care about the game and if it's good. Not when it's announced.

As for their competition, let's be honest, that's pretty much non-existent as they are simply too far ahead. Microsoft has literally nothing that's worth spending $500 on X in my opinion. As for Switch, it's the hot in demand item but at the same time, it's limited. If it wasn't for being limited, the Switch being in demand as much as it is may not be as much. Instead of the "noise" coming from the announcements, I prefer the "noise" to be from how good or great the game is. That's what I care about but to each their own.
Not trying to be /sound condescending but I'm not sure how to explain to you why people get excited by big game announcements. Sony announced The Last Guardian, Shenmue 3 and Final Fantasy 7 remake all in one show for a reason. They know what they're doing. These "roadmap" announcements have been their gameplan for most of the generation so I think it's less likely they decided "this is a bad idea" and instead the reason for the recent lack of new reveals is a different issue

and really the whole "Sony can do nothing and it won't affect them" thing is not based in reality

wapplew

So with mingol finally out
Sceja is working on absolutely nothing huh?
That we know of?

2 more out source games, No heroes allowed VR and SoTC, nothing internal.
Like many said, Japan studio internal team just release 3 games in 10 months, we probably won't see new internal project anytime soon.

FelipeMGM

I mean, different people having these different opinions is fine, the weird thing is seeing someone have this shift from one year to another...

So with mingol finally out
Sceja is working on absolutely nothing huh?
That we know of?

They have one internal project that has been announced and should come out this year still, No Heroes Allowed! DASH! for mobile devices

I think announcing games that are moderately far out is a net positive, overall. Creates hype around the brand, a roadmap with stuff people will look forwards to and keeps the userbase engaged with the brand.

There's always the risk a game will be cancelled, though, and both the platform and users should be aware of that. I think Sony (and MS and Nintendo) should strive to announce only games that are past the critical phases of design and development, the first year or so where gameplay and concept are set and you know whether you'll have a fun game or not. Games that are cancelled are usually ones that never gelled well, that never reached a point where gameplay was truly satisfactory.

Shin

Banned
Sony should acquire the name Battle Royale and make a PUBG like game, but more akin to the movie/original.
They got the characters to do so, even though I don't like PUBG or care for it, seems like a cool idea.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
We still don't know when exactly RDR2 is coming out. Releasing Spider-Man the same day as it would be stupid but 2-3 weeks of buffer is enough time for it to do well. I don't think we'll get an exact date for Spider-Man until they're confident they know when RDR2 is releasing.

I just don't see why Sony would release Spider Man or any top tier major exclusive close to RDR2 when they can use RDR2 to push PS4/PS4 Pro. To me, they have the marketing deal for RDR2 and I would use that to my upmost advantage as opposed to releasing Spider Man close to it especially when I can save Spider Man for the slow boring summer months. Rockstar said Spring 2018. If it stays, my guess is May. If not, then obviously it doesn't matter. I just wouldn't waste a month releasing a top tier major exclusive when I have a juggernaut like RDR2 in my back pocket. That's all.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
"We're making single player Uncharted 4 DLC" isn't even remotely confirming what Lost Legacy eventually turned out as. But hey, even if we say it is, I'll then point to Cory Barlog confirming he was working on a new God of War at PSX 2014.

As an aside, we didn't just get rumours of God of War and Horizon, we got official concept art from them.

Fair enough. You can look at TLL however you want. I just don't see it the same way as you do. Concept Art is all well and good but I always take stuff like that with a grain of salt simply because it can always change.

LiquidSolid said:
Really? Come on. "All of these executives lie" is a nothing argument. Go find sources where he's consistently lied if that's what you think, don't just throw accusations around in an attempt to win a silly internet argument. Christ. Of course he said it after the conference, he said it in an interview when asked a question about Sony's games lineup. And release window is exactly how everyone took that statement, whether you like it or not.

I know BotW was on different platforms but it's still the same silly argument. It's as if some people think the industry is far smaller than it is and can't handle two major releases in close proximity, And if Sony can handle GT Sport, Battlefront 2 and CoD WW2 all coming out within a month later this year, I think they can handle RDR2 and Spider-Man coming out around the same time (if that even happens).

Why would Sony release Spider-Man around or near RDR2? First off, as unknownstranger pointed out, you're acting as if your made-up RDR2 release date is fact. Second, a better question would be "why would Sony run like a terrified child from one major game release?"

I'm not trying to win anything and I didn't mean Layden personally. I meant in general and they all do more times than not. I just don't see all those games being released in the first half of 2018 but it all remains to be seen.

Regarding RDR2/Spider Man being released close together, I just don't see why Sony would do that when they can use the marketing deal for RDR2 in the month it's released and then use Spider Man for a separate month in order to maximize the sales for PS4/PS4 Pro. Get my drift? Why waste marketing for RDR2 and Spider Man in the same month when Sony can take advantage of it by having Spider Man in a different month than RDR2. That's all im saying.

I just don't see why Sony would release Spider Man or any top tier major exclusive close to RDR2 when they can use RDR2 to push PS4/PS4 Pro. To me, they have the marketing deal for RDR2 and I would use that to my upmost advantage as opposed to releasing Spider Man close to it especially when I can save Spider Man for the slow boring summer months. Rockstar said Spring 2018. If it stays, my guess is May. If not, then obviously it doesn't matter. I just wouldn't waste a month releasing a top tier major exclusive when I have a juggernaut like RDR2 in my back pocket. That's all.

I think people are slightly overestimating RDR2's appeal. The first one did well but it's not a juggernaut like GTA is. Games don't do well in July and if Spider-Man is ready in August you might as well wait until September for better sales. My guess is both RDR2 and Spider-Man release sometime in April or May, then Sony will do a big marketing push in June around E3 like they did this year.

farisr

Sony released three first party games within 2 weeks of Destiny 2. I don't think they'll have much issue shipping out a Spider-Man game within a month of RDR2 if that's how development turns out. Especially due to Spider-Man as a property holding appeal to a much wider demographic than RDR2 does.

Even top selling games only end up selling to a fraction of the install base, unless you're GTA (which RDR is not). The large majority of users not interested in that specific title will be open to other options.

Anecdotally, I'm the only one out of my group of friends that has a slight interest in RDR2. Everyone of us however, is excited for Spider-Man. And I'm sure there are groups of friends where the opposite applies as well.

Planet

how they talked about wanting the same in rdr.
You are building a strong case for RDR2 here! Think about the implications: a huge singleplayer campaign, backed by an insane amount of sp side quests, followed by a ridiculous amount of mp co-op and versus content, topped by complete official mods that turn the game into an ecosystem. All that for the entry fee of one game purchase. Just wow.

RSchmitz

You are building a strong case for RDR2 here! Think about the implications: a huge singleplayer campaign, backed by an insane amount of sp side quests, followed by a ridiculous amount of mp co-op and versus content, topped by complete official mods that turn the game into an ecosystem. All that for the entry fee of one game purchase. Just wow.

If you like online games and gaas stuff I''m sure you'll love it.

FelipeMGM

kinda off but, wouldnt this be a dreamy collaboration:

DKVjcYZWsAUQLTQ.jpg:large

https://twitter.com/genDESIGN_Inc/status/910720280581914624

I hope Ueda's next game is a gamey-ass game like Shadow of the Colossus. Pick a familiar idea/mechanic that is inherent in many games and then create an entire game around that.

Top Bottom