• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia 2 |OT| Return of the Bazongas

Necrovex

This was going to be a day one purchase until my car decided it wanted $400 from me yesterday. So I must wait for it to go bargin in now. :-(

khaaan

Wait, WHAT!?

I can't believe it's already here, crap. Guess I'll spend the next couple days powering through Xillia.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
This comes next week? Fuck Diablo 3 is also out.

It doesn't sound as appealing to me as Xillia but I am a stupid Tales fan so I'll probably just buy it.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I liked Xillia 1 so I'm all in for 2. The reused areas in a direct sequel don't really bother me. I haven't played the first since last August so I won't remember them anyway.

Ravage

Cleared 90% of my backlog in preparation for Xillia 2.
can't believe I managed to do that...
So hyped for this.

ys45

Damn, too much JRPGs coming out this month .
But of course this one is on my priority list .

I won't be playing this on release day unfortunately as I ordered the game from Amazon US
And live in Canada,was not sure if EBgames would be getting this here so I preordered from Amazon

HYPE

Celegus

Sounds super cool! I started ToX a couple months ago and I'm pretty close to the end (maybe?), enjoying it much much more than Graces. I'm a bit over 30 hours - I just fought
Maxwell and Gaius took his place.

Finalow

Q: Are there going to be Japanese Voices?
A: No. The next game? Maybe.
this sucks.

Q: Why is Ludger a silent protagonist?
A: Ask Baba. I don’t know. The game suffers quite a bit but you can unlock his voices when making choices in the second playthrough.
also this sucks, didn't know that he is a silent character.
what does this even mean, "unlock his voices in his second run". You can hear his voice only when you make a choice? And it doesn't happen in the first playthrough? What.

but hey, can't wait for my LE to arrive here.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Seda should have a review by embargo date and will probably give us his vague thoughts. I will be playing SAO in the meanwhile. =P

I can't find confirmation anywhere but is there a Day 1/Limited Edition (Not the big CE box) for Xillia 2 like there was for Xillia 1 in NA?
I'd just like my ToX1 to match my ToX2.

ohlawd

EO3 does a great job with the several endings thing.

I'm not gonna list everything that I give passes to lol. I just listed those two since they live on multiple endings

I can't find confirmation anywhere but is there a Day 1/Limited Edition (Not the big CE box) for Xillia 2 like there was for Xillia 1 in NA?
I'd just like my ToX1 to match my ToX2.
nah, I asked this earlier and there ain't no Day 1 Edition for NA. Bamco can surprise us though.

Voror

Very much looking forward to playing this. Curious about the new level up system though. I understand that you can either pick one element to focus on or two to split the experience, but do you keep any abilities you gain even if you switch elements in a similar manner to how titles worked in Graces?

I've been pretty disappointed by Tales dungeons for awhile. Though I don't recall Xillia having anything Wallbridge-tier.

Ugh, I'd forgotten about Wallbride.
I just meant that I can remember there being some puzzles in Graces f. I can't honestly remember doing much beyond moving from one spot to the next in Xillia. There's the ship level and that's all I've got.

Have yet to even beat Jude or Milla's sides of the first game, but will buy regardless because fuck yeah, Tales localizations.

I've been pretty disappointed by Tales dungeons for awhile. Though I don't recall Xillia having anything Wallbridge-tier.

Oh man, I somehow managed to forget about Wallbridge. One of the worst parts of Graces by far.

Zafir

Ugh, I'd forgotten about Wallbride.
I just meant that I can remember there being some puzzles in Graces f. I can't honestly remember doing much beyond moving from one spot to the next in Xillia. There's the ship level and that's all I've got.
There was Fort Gandala too, that was slightly different from going a to b. It also varied depending on what side of the story you're on. But yeah, dungeons really wasn't Xillia's strong point. The field maps were the worst, combined with my obsession of picking everything up they were the most repetitive experiences...

bodine1231

Is there a good spoiler filled overview of the story from the first Xillia? I got about 35 hours into it but ran out of steam and never finished it and would like a nice refresher.

abrack08

The silent protagonist, short story (for a JRPG), and weird pay-to-advance-the-story thing give me slight pause. Also hard to justify spending $60 for a game I'll probably be able to get for $20 on Black Friday (like Xillia 1), but it's coming out at the perfect drought-y time. I need something to bridge the gap between Trails In the Sky (which I just started on the Vita last week) and Danganronpa 2 in September.

ohlawd

a week from release I really don't think bamco can pull a surprise day 1 version out for NA... they would have announced it by now o_O;
and kill the surprise? why would they do that?

so someone goes to the store or wait for their package to arrive and they'll be like, "fucking Bamco, grumble grumble where's my Day One edition but EU gets one? man" then they get to reception or open their box and boom it's the day one edition

and Bamco will go "SURPRISE!!" later on and everyone in NA will go "oh you :)"

Rhapsody

Banned

so someone goes to the store or wait for their package to arrive and they'll be like, "fucking Bamco, grumble grumble where's my Day One edition but EU gets one? man" then they get to reception or open their box and boom it's the day one edition

Maybe they're trying to compete with Koei-Tecmo on getting news out.

zulux21

my guess is after they announced the day 1 edition for NA they saw a large drop in preorders for the LE... I know I dropped my LE as I had no interest in the statue and since everything of interest was in the day 1 edition I just went with that.

I mean they had an unusual amount of xillia LE left over compared to most of their LE releases.... so something must have happened for them to have so many extras.

if that was the case it wouldn't be surprising not to announce a day 1 version.

Pooya

Q: I hated Tales of Xillia. Will I enjoy this game?
A: Chances are you won’t. The gameplay isn’t much different from the first game. In fact, you will revisit all the old areas and it has not changed at all. However, if you’re in for the story then you should definitely give it a chance.

uh, roughly how much of this game is copy/pasted? I didn't hate the first game but it was overbearing how dull everywhere was by the end, don't exactly want to visit same places all over again looking exactly the same.

Rhapsody

Banned
uh, roughly how much of this game is copy/pasted? I didn't hate the first game but it was overbearing how dull everywhere was by the end, don't exactly want to visit same places all over again looking exactly the same.

You're able to revisit all the old places. It's basically copy/pasted. The good thing is that the story progression isn't about getting from one place to the next.

Chapters feature either new dungeons or being in a familiar area for the given chapter.

zulux21

You're able to revisit all the old places. It's basically copy/pasted. The good thing is that the story progression isn't about getting from one place to the next.

did they bother to put anything in the towns worth searching for in xillia 2?
I mean towns have quests... but in general it wasn't worth going in homes or wondering around town because there would only be 1-2 shiny spots and nothing of real interest hidden... which was weird given how much the dungeon maps have on them.

Rhapsody

Banned
did they bother to put anything in the towns worth searching for in xillia 2?
I mean towns have quests... but in general it wasn't worth going in homes or wondering around town because there would only be 1-2 shiny spots and nothing of real interest hidden... which was weird given how much the dungeon maps have on them.

Not really. I'd say exploration and discovery is still a weak part of Xillia. The highlight of ToX2 is freedom to move about early on and also initiating character episodes whenever you wanted a break from the main chapters.

kayos90

Were did you get that as a negative? What it lacks in time wasting story buffer it makes up in impact
and that not one ounce too little
, something I'd call a first in Tales games.

The length of Xillia 2 is perfect. impeccable.

Dice//

Banned
oh maaan...that bazongas joke was so stupid

Can't wait for reviews. It'll help with the August lull I guess. And after that gameplay for [hopefully incomplete] Zesteria footage I'm looking forward to this more again.

RPGCrazied

Going to wait on this one, which is first for a Tales of game. Still salty over the CE price and no LE/day 1 edition. I'll get it when it hits $30.

abrack08

Were did you get that as a negative? What it lacks in time wasting story buffer it makes up in impact
and that not one ounce too little
, something I'd call a first in Tales games.

I don't know anything about Xillia 2 other than what's in the OP, so I can't speak to the quality or impact of the story, hopefully it's as good as you say. Obviously, a good/well paced/impactful shorter story is better than a mediocre long one, but if everything else is equal, I'd prefer to get more mileage out of it (especially since I'm unlikely to play through the game more than once).

kayos90

I don't know anything about Xillia 2 other than what's in the OP, so I can't speak to the quality or impact of the story, hopefully it's as good as you say. Obviously, a good/well paced/impactful shorter story is better than a mediocre long one, but if everything else is equal, I'd prefer to get more mileage out of it (especially since I'm unlikely to play through the game more than once).

Xillia 2's story is one of the best in the genre for this gen. I liked it more than I thought I could with a Tales game.

Top Bottom