• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon’s Dogma: Dark Arisen PS4/XB1 |OT| They're master ports all, you can't go wrong

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Hard mode sucks. Ends up being as easy as normal but with the stamina nerf.

Damnit! I was banking on this purchase being better with the expansion and 'Hard' difficulty that I never had with vanilla. Game was so stupid easy in vanilla and all the praise it got was lost in how godlike you became in maybe 3 hours of play.

Debating not bothering now, I won't replay this game if I won't feel challenged.

Zeta Oni

Picking this up tomorrow and playing for the first time.

Assassin class any good?

Assassin was at one point the absolute best vocation in the game, in its vanilla version.

With Dark Arisen they nerfed the things that made it so ridiculously OP, yet it's still arguably the second most powerful vocation in the game.

I might actually pick this up. I never got very far with the PS3 version - I loved the combat, but for me the world never felt as expansive or "alive" as other open world games around the same time, and it eventually got lost in the backlog. I've been itching to give it another chance.

I don't think it ever does but the combat is SO GOOD. Loved my time with it, I recommend playing it.

Burglekutt

Played original but never played the expansion, is the loot you get from the new island better than the loot from
the Ur dragon
?

I found her!

Had to log into my ancient photobucket account but I did in fact save the screens of my og assassin!

So glad I found these as I'll be able to recreate her much easier. :D

Here's some five-year-old compressed ps3 captures

eT0BNnH.jpg

BO3HE3o.jpg

Q2xDpq1.jpg

idmVXGd.jpg

6zQA0AU.jpg

JyeWaF2.jpg

IA3TYfN.jpg

YdqJGf9.jpg

jonjonaug

Played original but never played the expansion, is the loot you get from the new island better than the loot from
the Ur dragon
?

Kinda. Level 2 Bitterblack items can be about as good as
Ur Dragon
items, and Level 3 items are better. But level 3 Bitterblack items are like how like
Ur Dragon
items were in the original release where once you start grinding them out you've already cleared the hardest challenges the game has to offer.

Just set the Red Dragon as my avatar on PSN!

I would have set it as the Ur Dragon but the picture is like really small =/

Anywho, hyped and ready for tonight!

Kinda. Level 2 Bitterblack items can be about as good as
Ur Dragon
items, and Level 3 items are better. But level 3 Bitterblack items are like how like
Ur Dragon
items were in the original release where once you get them you've already cleared the hardest challenges the game has to offer.

Man, I was so hyped when I defeated the online version of the
Ur Dragon
Loot was flying from everywhere. haha. I just got lucky. Defeated the offline version many times.

Damnit! I was banking on this purchase being better with the expansion and 'Hard' difficulty that I never had with vanilla. Game was so stupid easy in vanilla and all the praise it got was lost in how godlike you became in maybe 3 hours of play.

Debating not bothering now, I won't replay this game if I won't feel challenged.

I finished the game on hard and the main story doesn't get hard until the very last boss which is a challenging fight. Post game and BBI are hard.

the Ur dragon
?

Aesthetically speaking is subjective
Stat wise yes.

that's one of the coolest thing I love about the game tho
at some point you stop caring about your stats and focus purely on looks
the catch is that you have to explore the entire world to be able to obtain every piece of clothing.

daftstar

Assassin was at one point the absolute best vocation in the game, in its vanilla version.

With Dark Arisen they nerfed the things that made it so ridiculously OP, yet it's still arguably the second most powerful vocation in the game.

I see. What's the most OP vocation?

Hey! I just bought your avatar on PSN too!

I'm currently using this one though.

DFZyS6V.jpg

Sick!

I have never seen greogori looks so good :D

I want to say is Ranger,
but don't quote me on this since I haven't played in years.

I remember I had a rusty bow that would slow down enemies and throw like 10 arrows at the same time at the cyclops face and and watch his poor health drain fast.

$24 with amazon :D

some peeps combined it with the $10 freebie and payed $15

Ok cool..

I got that promo $10, but put it on psn right away.
I already have it preordered at Gstop, got like $12 on it ...
But I'm kinda feeling like getting it digital tonight but Ima wait till tomorrow to pick it up.

Ok cool..

I got that promo $10, but put it on psn right away.
I already have it preordered at Gstop, got like $12 on it ...
But I'm kinda feeling like getting it digital tonight but Ima wait till tomorrow to pick it up.

with the switch closing e shop all together I no longer support digital (like at all)
unless I don't have a choice.

so yeah, physical all the way :D

im going to be in the character creator forever

same here , I'm such a perfectionist when it comes to this.

I highly recommend you to write down the stats once satisfied -launch the game and watch the opening cinematic
-sometimes you character might look completely off from the character select screen, the in game cinemas will give you a better idea of what to fix.

Vaseline factor aside XD

daftstar

*takes out soapbox*

Magick Archer

*puts away soapbox*

Oh snap that was my first choice too. But after seeing some footage I'm not sure how I feel about constant circles on the HUD.

Sick!

I have never seen greogori looks so good :D

I want to say is Ranger,
but don't quote me on this since I haven't played in years.

I remember I had a rusty bow that would slow down enemies and throw like 10 arrows at the same time at the cyclops face and and watch his poor health drain fast.

Gonna look into it.

blackjon24

Assassin is the only true answer. Assassins unlock a skill that boosts your stats to absurd level when you play the game without a party. When I unlocked it I soloed the entire game including dlc without too much trouble besides the final boss in the dark arisen content

Weirdly I actually enjoyed the game a lot more without a party

Assassin is the only true answer. Assassins unlock a skill that boosts your stats to absurd level when you play the game without a party. When I unlocked it I soloed the entire game including dlc without too much trouble besides the final boss in the dark arisen content

It's the only way to go if you roll assassin. I loved my main pawn but solo'ing is such a fun way to play the game at higher levels.

Zeta Oni

Yes but Autonomy is an augment if I'm not mistaken, meaning any vocation can use it once unlocked.

That's not to say Assassins aren't absurdly powerful, but I don't think its as easy to decide whose the top between MA and Assassin as it was in vanilla DD.

Baalzebup

Question about MA, does equipping a staff instead of daggers increase your magick arrows damage?
Nope. The weapon linked to the skills determines the power of the attacks. You shoot the Magic Bow, you get the attack power of the bow. You cast the spells with the staff, you get the staffs attack power.

Luckily they nerfed that ability by a ton.

It used to increase strength by 70%, so in combination with other augments you could get a ridiculous 500% strength or even more.

In Dark Arisen it only increases strength 20%, and there is hard limit of 180% strength even if your combined augments would mathematically make it higher.

I really like Assassin versatility (being able to equip 12 skills and 4 weapon types, including the best sniping ability, explosive area of effect, counter moves, perfect blocks, climbing, etc) so I'm glad it isn't super OP like before.

Got the game early thanks to Best Buy being GOAT for preorders. The game is so fun and so bizarre. Playing it again five years later, I feel like it might have influenced open world console games much more than it's been given credit for. I'm so happy this got a current gen console release.

Kard8p3

Played the original on the 360, never did get around to getting the expansion. 30 bucks isn't sounding too bad..

Is good.

after like 30 minutes in.

It's an item called fairy stone and it allows you to travel back to the main hub castle,
but you can also set these crystals all over the map to allow you to create warp points.

All in due time.

A great friggin game that will surprise you on how good it is. Once you get through the initial stuff of any RPG, you'll find great quests. Great dungeons... ahh.. I can't wait!

Soooo good and I say that from vanilla,which had some problems like traveling(or lack of it) and so on...if you like the genre you should enjoy this,a lot.

Nice OT.
Yeah definitely look forward tonight

I played a few hours of it on 360 but it never quite got going for me. Quests weren't exactly all that special and eventually just put it down. I might give it another chance though.

bargeparty

I found her!

Had to log into my ancient photobucket account but I did in fact save the screens of my og assassin!

So glad I found these as I'll be able to recreate her much easier. :D

Here's some five-year-old compressed ps3 captures

If you figure out how to recreate her can you post the settings please?

lonerism

Anyone got a discount code to spare for a poor Brazilian soul? :(

I want to play this game so bad, but I have no job atm lol

Top Bottom