• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Night: IGN Article [Quack Quack Slurp Slurp]

I can't tell if you're being serious or not...
So you're just going to play dumb, got it.
I think it's fair to get pissy at McAffrey for promoting a shitty guy's video game built around a shitty gamergate wet dream. Especially when his own co-workers were harassed by Gamergate (Chloi Rad, Alanna Pierce)
He's merely doing his job and, no, I don't think it's fair to get pissy at him for posting a video and trying to promote it. If his co-workers have a problem with promoting a particular videogame on the website that they all work for, then surely they'd have let him know.
Riding hard for some goobergater shit cuz it's an Xbox exclusive is definitely something worthy of derision.

(And as a side note, completely unsurprising from Mccaffrey.)
I'm unaware of any history of the guy (I don't visit IGN), so if that "calling out" post is based on some previously known knowledge then that's my mistake. I just didn't like the way it was framed as a target to go after.

Just don't see a point in passing judgement on how much of the creator's dumb personal views influenced the final project until it's actually done. Until then, I will continue to hope that the gameplay can match the visuals. I have a high tolerance for shit bag creators who make interesting art, but if others don't want to support it, I understand why.

See:

KmpDjSb.png

^ I love that people are tweeting that at Ryan M. now.

Oh it got everyone's attention alt-right.

FTFY

Shaanyboi

Banned
I'm not defending the game itself insofar as I'm defending it's right to exist, be covered by media, and for people to express interest in it without be slandered outright.

It has every right to exist. And everyone here has the right to tell it and its creator to fuck off.

Arguing that a game's central themes or identity won't, at the very least, subconsciously influence the person playing the game is disingenuous. Sure not everyone will walk away an alt-righter, but subtle propaganda is still propaganda.
What are your thoughts on GTA and those who play it?

MoogleMan

I'm not even intending to defend a specific poster. I'm just not a fan of the mob mentality that says 'This person isn't aware this game was made by an asshole! Clearly, they are also an asshole!'.

That's typical neogaf. I tend to ignore the drama culture that seems to be so popular these days.

The game looks good.

His beliefs are not my own.

Because I buy the game does not mean I support his beliefs, regardless of what neogaf says, thinks, or believes. It means I like the game and support his work on the game.

There's a reason it's never a good idea to bring your personal life to the workplace.

Wamb0wneD

I'm not defending the game itself insofar as I'm defending it's right to exist, be covered by media, and for people to express interest in it without be slandered outright.

Ah, muh freeze peach. When a game is made by an alt righter about a dystopia where America is ruled by a mexican president and where the (((globalists)))) are the ones secretly in power I'm looking forward to see you in that thread arguing it should get covered and people being interested on it are completely fine.

What are your thoughts on GTA and those who play it?

The fuck has GTA to do with this? GTA isn't made to spread a harmful and amoral political stance.

Speely

Banned

The premise of the game calls feminism a road to a dystopia. Who is more worthy of defense here, that game's creator and his supporters or women in general?

If we can't use free speech to call it like we see it, what good is it? ;)

Alucrid

Banned
That's typical neogaf. I tend to ignore the drama culture that seems to be so popular these days.

The game looks good.

Because I buy the game does not mean I support his beliefs, regardless of what neogaf says, thinks, or believes. It means I like the game and support his work on the game.

There's a reason it's never a good idea to bring your personal life to the workplace.

you sure seem to loathe neogaf

Right.

I'll just continue to hope this game bombs to the high heavens so that the creator doesn't subject the world to another shitty take of his.

kevin1025

Banned
Bullshit. Closing your eyes and ears to contrary opinions is not the way forward.

I don't support this game's supposed message. But I'm happy to explore it even if it means at the end of the game I sit back and say "well that was fucking dumb"

Both sides, am I right?

jacobeid

Banned

The game looks good.

You know you can leave, right?

The premise of the game calls feminism a road to a dystopia. Who is more worthy of defense here, that game's creator and his supporters or women in general?

If we can't use free speech to call it like we see it, what good is it? ;)

Unless we make it off-world, every conceivable future for this world ends in dystopia.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

His beliefs are the game.

You are directly supporting that by giving him money.

This is not difficult.

At least have some semblance of perspective.

Animal cruelty, human exploitation and destroying our planet = A-OK.

Someone with shitty views about feminism = I hope his career is ruined and he rots in hell

Bullshit. Closing your eyes and ears to contrary opinions is not the way forward.

I don't support this game's supposed message. But I'm happy to explore it even if it means at the end of the game I sit back and say "well that was fucking dumb"

You aren't anywhere near as enlightened as you like to pretend you are.

05d.jpg

I honestly wish I was that creative!
The comparison is even weirder when you consider that Phil Fish was actually a target of G*G.
That's the crazy thing. I don't know why people are bringing in Fez as an example. Phil Fish may have not been on everybody's friend list (he sure wasn't on mine with the way he talked about Japan's game development) but he was attacked by GG themselves. The Last Night isn't even comparable with that.

Thanks for the link by the way!

Arkage

Banned
Still hyped for this game.

The specific dev later said this game is not influence by GG or feminism, and that he has since changed his mind on the statements he made back then. And the team behind it put out a statement distancing themselves from the tweets and said the team doesn't tolerate those concepts. Good enough for me.

Viewing this game as a moral soapbox for demonstrating pro or anti GG sentiment is a bit (very) overly dramatic for me, but to each their own.

MoogleMan

you sure seem to loathe neogaf

I love gaf for the news, dev interaction, game impressions, etc. But the mob mentality on gaf is really tedious at times. I usually just avoid threads like this but the dog pile is crazy sometimes.

Basically according to gaf, if you've ever said anything even remotely racist or misogynistic, you're a pile of shit and deserve to die. I don't follow that belief system at all. And absolutely no one is completely innocent.

jacobeid

Banned
I love gaf for the news, dev interaction, game impressions, etc. But the mob mentality on gaf is really tedious at times. I usually just avoid threads like this but the dog pile is crazy sometimes.

Basically according to gaf, if you've ever said anything even remotely racist or misogynistic, you're a pile of shit and deserve to die. I don't follow that belief system at all. And absolutely no one is completely innocent.

Do you know anything about this game? At all?

Like, maybe the entire premise of the game?

Wamb0wneD

The game looks good.

You support his beliefs by giving him money for his misogynistic game. It's not only that he has mysoginistic views, the freaking game itself has a mysoginistic premise. Why the hell would you want to play that? Because it looks good and to stick it to outraged people?

I'm the last person going with the outrage bandwagon, but this is so blatantly wrong that just supporting it because it has a nice artstyle comes across as indifferent and superficial at best.

This is not the same thing. And in all honesty any Miramax movies Weinstein had personal hands in should be obscured or removed from views.

IGN should have done the research before trying to promote this game. It has a clear negative spiel that needs to be looked at and rejected.

There's absolutely no chance McCaffrey and IGN didn't know. Everyone was talking about this asshole after it appeared at Microsoft's conference, including Shannon Loftis. They either don't give a shit or are supporters of those views.

IGN can fuck off and take this game with them.

Every time I get reminded of this game, it sucks. As a huge fan of modern pixel art and cyberpunk and cinematic platformer, this was clicking every box for me. Even posted about its GIFs and dev updates a ton on GAF. It was probably my most anticipated indie game after Rain World

So of course it turns out to be about an alt-right’s nightmare of a “dystopia” built upon and based around the dev’s fucked-up beliefs. A very story-driven, choice-heavy adventure based on all that, to the point that the creator wanted to put a Gamergate mascot in the game as a character.

Fuck that. Such a disappointing turn-of-events. You can’t separate creator from creation when the creator’s beliefs form the backbone and story of that creation.

Ashodin

There's absolutely no chance McCaffrey and IGN didn't know. Everyone was talking about this asshole after it appeared at Microsoft's conference, including Shannon Loftis. They either don't give a shit or are supporters of those views.

IGN can fuck off and take this game with them.

I mean both are pretty fucking low outcomes here.

• If they didn't give a shit - Likely they just want to get money any way they can
  • Support the views (albeit not outright) - Shitty all around. Want Gaming to continue to be filled with assholetry.

The game looks good.

Wait, this doesn't make any sense. The game propagates his beliefs. The game's story premise is his beliefs. He put his beliefs in his work on the game. If you liked the game, wouldn't that mean you're happy with those beliefs?

Every time I get reminded of this game, it sucks. As a huge fan of modern pixel art and cyberpunk and cinematic platformer, this was clicking every box for me. Even posted about its GIFs and dev updates a ton on GAF. It was probably my most anticipated indie game after Rain World

So of course it turns out to be about an alt-right’s nightmare of a “dystopia” built upon and based arond the dev’s fucked-up beliefs. A very story-driven, choice-heavy adventure based on all that, to the point that the creator wanted to put a Gamergate mascot in the game as a character.

Is that all still the premise of the game? I've read a few articles now and it seems to have changed but I can't see to what?

Orayn

I personally feel that some opinions truly suck ass and don't deserve your time, money, or attention. Merely exposing yourself to garbage isn't an enlightened exercise in moderation and centrism that automatically makes you a wiser person.

At the very least, I would recommend consuming such media with an acknowledgement that you're doing so out of bile fascination, and do it in a way that gives the creator as little money as possible if materially rewarding them furthers their ability to go out and be a bad person.

kevin1025

Banned
I do, but it's fiction. Fiction is not reality. Nor do I want it to be. I like to experience things in fiction.

But what if people creating that fiction believe in that fiction and are making it to push their agenda on you? And what if that agenda is misogynistic and Gamergate ridden?

Wamb0wneD

I do, but it's fiction. Fiction is not reality. Nor do I want it to be. I like to experience things in fiction.
You can't be serious...

So of course it turns out to be about an alt-right's nightmare of a ”dystopia" built upon and based arond the dev's fucked-up beliefs. A very story-driven, choice-heavy adventure based on all that, to the point that the creator wanted to put a Gamergate mascot in the game as a character.

Fuck that. Such a disappointing turn-of-events. You can't separate creator from creation when the creator's beliefs form the backbone and story of that creation.

"The game looks good though, such mob mentality, it's just fiction!"

Alucrid

Banned

oh wow, where does neogaf say that?

Speely

Banned

So of course it turns out to be about an alt-right’s nightmare of a “dystopia” built upon and based arond the dev’s fucked-up beliefs. A very story-driven, choice-heavy adventure based on all that, to the point that the creator wanted to put a Gamergate mascot in the game as a character.

Exactly where I am at, bud. :( I remember your early coverage, and it was great. Goes to show you how far a concept can fall from grace when it's legit toxic and ugly.

Cerium

Fuck that. Such a disappointing turn-of-events. You can’t separate creator from creation when the creator’s beliefs form the backbone and story of that creation.

Could we get an update to the OP so that people who only read the first post are informed?

Ashodin

Okay follow my logic here.

You want to experience fiction. ✓
Fiction is not reality. ✓
The game's creator is describing a (very negative, hateful) fiction that he believes will become reality someday due to his ideologies. ✓
You support the creator financially by purchasing his game. ✓
The creator goes on to create another game, piece of media, or grows more influential due to your monetary support to continue to spout his views. ✓

You have just now been party to spreading the word of his beliefs. This is how it works, yes? Indirectly you have supported his views.

Regardless of whatever happens with your purchase of the game, if even you tell some other people about how great it is (and how shitty the premise is as well trying to be truthful) that person might get the wrong idea and follow these beliefs, etc, etc.

Top Bottom