• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Odyssey finally arrives in one week! What's your favorite ever Mario series power-up?

maxcriden

photo.jpg

The Mario series has offered several power-ups through its 2D and 3D incarnations, and even some interesting takes on power-ups in its spin-offs.

So, I'd like to hear some of your faves, and please please please don't just list power-ups list threads are boring and don't engender discussion and they suck. So, yeah. Let's hear about those power-ups and what fun you had when you discovered them, and all that jazz.

Here's a list of all the power-ups from the mainline games.

180px-Mario_%28Defeated%29_-_Super_Mario_Sticker.gif

I really like Boo Mario from SMG/2. It has a great floaty feeling to it and being able to go through walls is a fun ability. I like the look of it quite a bit, too. Doesn't hurt that the levels it's featured in are very memorable.

Super_Mario_Land_2_(GB)_15.gif

I suppose in looking over the list I have a weird soft spot for Bunny Mario, obtained with the Carrot power-up. It feels kinda of janky to control, but intentionally so, and in a game filled with offbeat quirks, it fits right in.

tumblr_mod7595vJ01qbc2ylo1_500.gif

The cat suit is just a genius power-up as it does for the 3D space what the Tanooki suit did for the 2D space - it allows interaction with the world in a way that accommodates mistakes while simultaneously also assisting in top-notch platforming. So it serves as a safety net for players and also as a true power-up that imbues some extra special abilities to pull off some neat moves. The Lucky Bell is even more special, as it offers invincibility.

The Penguin Suit is also a fave. Slip-sliding through levels is delightfully fun, especially on a time trial in NSMBU.

(Let's keep this thread clean of Odyssey details for any and all who are trying to go in as fresh as possible.)

Cat Mario.

The variety of movement abilities it brought was great.

Need to see it explored even more.

Also I loved by the
Lucky Cat
variation.

I agree it's the Tanooki suit for 3D games.

Tanooki Mario [Edit:] + Kuribo's Shoe. Both awesome additions that were only marginally explored in Super Mario 3. Part of why I'm so fond of the game - these seemingly random little additions that mixed things up just enough to stand out.

This is where it's at. A completely fun power up to use on enemies and moving around stages. Also overpowered and lets you just fly over everything if you're bored of a stage and want to get past it quick.

Nothing has since been as overpowered.

jph139

I remember being super surprised by the Cat Suit - like, it seems like a dumb idea on paper, but it just feels so good to control. So smooth.

Boomerang Flower is the best though. The Hammer Bro suit was my favorite before that, and this is the same outfit with boomerangs, which are WAY better than hammers.

Piscus

MAX!

Genius thread idea, and there are too many power ups to choose from! I will probably edit more in later, but if I had to pick one single power up, I would have to say....

THE WINGED CAP.

Mario%2B64%2Bwing%2Bcap%2Bgif.gif

Mario 64 was revolutionary for me in a lot of ways, and traversing through each painted world expanded my mind. Mario had so many moves, and being able to explore the castle's secrets and search for stars in each level filled me with constant wonder. By land, by sea.... or by air. I wasn't just running and jumping through levels, but like the leaf and feather before it, Mario 64 provided a way to fly. Fly! With sound effects and momentum and smokey whooshes as you tried to ascend! Fire me out of dat cannon, keep me in the skies!

Definitely bunny Mario from 6 Golden Coins. Gliding large distances (I believe you could gain extra air by jumping on enemies mid-air?) was magical. It legitimately felt like flying when I was a kid.

Same goes for the winged cap in Mario 64, which was even more impressive. My favorite levels were the ones with winged caps and cannons next to each other.

I'm going with the penguin suit. It combines the "this terrain is no longer a problem" virtue of the frog suit with ice powers and a nifty slide.

SMG2 cloud suit is also great.

Griss

I'll give you my five best and three worst

Best:
Power Cap (SM64) - The moment you first get this is the moment the true potential of 3D gaming unfurled itself in my mind. A masterpiece moment in gaming history.

Other favs
Super Acorn (NSMBU) - Love this thing - less overpowered than the Racoon Tail and yet it feels so good to use, and looks great too. Best power-up in years.
Frog Mario (SMB3) - Made torturous water levels so much more fun by totally changing the swimming mechanics for the better. What was even cooler was how it totally ruined your normal movement mechanics so keeping it was really hard. Was always super happy to see one of these.
Double Cherry (3D World) - Led to a bunch of awesome gameplay puzzles, and was just really fun to watch.
Hammer Suit (SMB3) - Felt so super rare, looked awesome, and really helped in the later, difficult challenges.

Least Favourites:
Ice Flower (NSMB Series) - A lame copy of the fire flower with floaty, unsatisfying ice balls of very little use.
Mega Mushroom (NSMB Series) - Just running forward crushing everything in your path is nowhere near as exciting as the designers obviously thought it was.
Light Box (3D World) - Using this with 8-directional movement in a 3d space was a real pain in the ass.

sphinx

the piano man
Hammer Mario on SMB3 felt awesome and powerful back in the day, it was a power up harder to get than frog and tanooki mario

I think it took 2 or 3 Hammers to beat Bowser too,

Kuribo's Shoe.

I also thought of this but maybe just becauae it's rare.

doesn't it appear only in world 6 in one level in SMB3?

mavo

Banned
MAX!

Genius thread idea, and there are too many power ups to choose from! I will probably edit more in later, but if I had to pick one single power up, I would have to say....

THE WINGED CAP.

Mario%2B64%2Bwing%2Bcap%2Bgif.gif

Mario 64 was revolutionary for me in a lot of ways, and traversing through each painted world expanded my mind. Mario had so many moves, and being able to explore the castle's secrets and search for stars in each level filled me with constant wonder. By land, by sea.... or by air. I wasn't just running and jumping through levels, but like the leaf and feather before it, Mario 64 provided a way to fly. Fly! With sound effects and momentum and smokey whooshes as you tried to ascend! Fire me out of dat cannon, keep me in the skies!

I agree, even the way you get is cool.

The cape and the cat suit are also pretty good.

Varjet

Fire Flower. The sound effect makes me happy. Well, but not the one in the 3D games.

Also, they should have used Bunny Mario instead of Tanooki in 3D Land.

Mr Swine

Banned
Starman being able to beat the snot out of bowser, his kid, koopalings and the rest by touching them while having that awesome music play is just glorious!

Top Bottom