• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport - Review Thread

MaDKaT

Seems like this isn't good enough either. Guess PD just needs to deliver GT6 + GTS in one game, plus AI and Damage.

This review thread would be far less interesting if they did something like that.

on a different note

My copy showed up last night and Wow, the metal box and cover is exceptional. Easily the best cover for me.

darkwing

How can you be sure??? The game is already having a bad reception from the critics and is not casual friendly. If the game don't meet the Sony expectations they are going back to the numbers, thats for sure.

Kaz already has a different paradigm in GT games, for goodness sake, from GT1 to GT6, time for a change

Loudninja

Hardcore Gamer 4/5
Gran Turismo Sport boasts the best realistic online racing experience, but those looking for something offline with a career will want to look elsewhere. This game is Kazunori Yamauchi's vision of e-sports racing as it includes the ability to achieve a real FIA license. He truly provides the tools to turn players into literal racing drivers. There is enough content for driving mastery in the game, but the lack of real-world tracks and the need to always be online ultimately hurt the experience. With that being said, the most important aspect is how the cars are on the track, and the racing is excellent.
http://www.hardcoregamer.com/2017/09/19/review-divinity-original-sin-ii/272392/

Saudi Gamer 8/10
A new era for the series, and a focus on quality over quantity. The series has lost some of its extravagance with this installment but in return has gained a tighter focus on quality and consistency.
https://saudigamer.com/review/gran-turismo-sport/

Gestault

The solution to a problem in an otherwise popular mode is not to gut it. Particularly for someone like me, who thought the career in GT6 ended up being a pleasant improvement from GT5, and a clear step up from GT4 and GT PSP. "Different" doesn't always mean better, particularly if the experience loses the core of what many people enjoyed the game for. When "Different" almost literally means less in that scenario, some people are going to get less out of the game. Hence this range of reactions.

I've gotta admit, the people assuming because the traditional career mode had problems, the "obvious" solution is to basically eliminate it is like seeing early Street Fighter V players defending the lack of arcade mode because "who plays a fighting game single player."

Ascenion

Seems like this isn't good enough either. Guess PD just needs to deliver GT6 + GTS in one game, plus AI and Damage.

I mean GTS should basically just be the online component to a GT8. I think everyone would be fine with that. I’m honestly thinking now this game needed more time in the oven.

//DEVIL//

FOR. YOU.

/honestRant

exactly, like why this is hard to swallow ? I don't play online racing game. outside of Need for Speed HP on PS3, I never played a racing game for online purpose. sure I would try a game or two. but I like to finish the single player. that what matters to me. this one has a PSP like campaign, and that is horrible.

add to that an Online only functionality, and this might be the worst GT game along with the PSP version.

This is why we can't have good things. The series is finally evolving, Sport is on it's way to be the best GT since GT 3, and now the game is getting panned for something that it didn't want to be from the beginning. And people are moaning about career mode which was never that good. I get the content complaints, but we are eventually going to get all those cars and tracks. And the goddamned singleplayer races btw. PD is slow in terms of making content and they should do something about that, but they always deliver a great product.

The game is getting reviewed against pathetic ideas of what the game should be and what it actually is.

There's nothing wrong with the racing aspect, nothing wrong visually. Just the fact it had a limited amount of content compared to earlier gt's and is online focused. If this was a new studio with this as the debut it's getting much higher ratings. It's like knocking fifa down a few scores a because it doesn't have a world cup mode or liscensed champions league. Or the fact that career mode in sports game is taking more of a backseat and more efforts are put into online modes but they don't receive the same kind of negativity.

This is the problem. If you are going to shift towards an online-focused game, you need the content right now, not an undetermined time in the future. I am more than fine with career mode being a thing of the past, but when GTS has the least amount of tracks (28) since GT2 (27), and the least amount of cars (163) since the original (140), how long before people get bored?

It has been four years since the previous game and they removed a huge part of the game, why did the cars/tracks have to be gutted too?

I can't believe I just read pages of people arguing about a Jeff Gertsmann review (actually I can). I like Jeff, but I never trust his reviews. He might be perfectly right about Sport, but doesn't matter. It doesn't matter if he is a fan of these type of racers or not. I find Jeff wrong so many times (his pessimism at times can be hard to take and one the reasons I don't listen anymore) that I don't care what Jeff thinks. I hate saying that, because many years ago I did.

I actually would love to hear a review from someone who has never played a Gran Turismo game or prefers games like the old Burnouts, just to see if it has any crossover appeal.

I agree with a lot of what you're saying. I do think Jeff represents are larger part of the Gran Turismo fan base who Sport might not necessarily be for.

The more I hear about it the more it seems like Sport was made for a very small number of people. The whole thing is a little bizarre, but in a very car-obsessed game developer kind of way that seems entirely appropriate for Polyphony.

This is the problem. If you are going to shift towards an online-focused game, you need the content right now, not an undetermined time in the future. I am more than fine with career mode being a thing of the past, but when GTS has the least amount of tracks (28) since GT2 (27), and the least amount of cars (163) since the original (140), how long before people get bored?

It has been four years since the previous game and they removed a huge part of the game, why did the cars/tracks have to be gutted too?
DLCs

You can make an argument.....but it wont be a good one.

No, I could make a really good and long, very well thought through argument for both GTS and Forza not being sim. There are enough differences to what and how car tech and actual races, wear etc. is simulated when compared to most PC sims.

But since this is not my actual opinion, I'm not gonna waste my time on it. I definitely could though.

I can't believe I just read pages of people arguing about a Jeff Gertsmann review (actually I can). I like Jeff, but I never trust his reviews.
There is no GTS review on Giant Bomb. And this is not me being pedantic.

EBreda

Not everyone is as enlightened as we are. I have half a dozen friends that bought GTS hoping for the next GT mainline and were severely disappointed. 5 of them returned the game, 1 kept it.

It's anecdotal, sure, but it's something totally conceivable. People see a new GT game after half a decade, they will assume it's a new entry in their favorite series. Only it's not.

It will be damaging for the brand on the long run, I'm sure. People get jaded.

Synth

I've gotta admit, the people assuming because the traditional career mode had problems, the "obvious" solution is to basically eliminate it is like seeing early Street Fighter V players defending the lack of arcade mode because "who plays a fighting game single player."

The solution to a problem in an otherwise popular mode is not to gut it. Particularly for someone like me, who thought the career in GT6 ended up being a pleasant improvement from GT5, and a clear step up from GT4 and GT PSP.

Yea, I think a lot of the discussion about the game "not being reviewed for what it is", and comparisons being made to stuff like Titanfall or Overwatch are silly. GTS' online focus is really just a new mode with a new rating and matchmaking system. It's be like Leagues getting added to Forza Motorsport 6 resulting in the removal of most of its singleplayer component. It's not a justified tradeoff, because much like Street Fighter V's lack of arcade mode, it's not something that requires a completely set of content or gameplay from the mode that now being propped up as the focus. Adding significant singleplayer component to something like Titanfall or Overwatch (in the manner that Titanfall 2 actually did) requires a completely separate set of maps, enemy AI, story cutscene, etc. It's basically its own separate game that's just included in the package.

This not the case with GTS, just as it wasn't with Street Fighter V. The tracks you race on are the same whether you're playing single or multi, the cars you race against are the same, the AI is no different from the already existing arcade mode. The differences between the various modes is basically just one of curation (and this includes the new Sport mode), just as the lack of arcade mode in Street Fighter V, despite the existence of the character story mode and survival modes removing any good reason for it to be absent. The same goes for the VR mode not being playable in time trial. If you have 1v1 races on the various tracks, then you don't have a good reason to not have time trial on all of those courses either.

The term "focus" is being used to disguise what the real underlying issue it. A lack of overall content. Despite the game's "online focus" there's less content to play online than the competition offers in there own online modes, along with the obviously lacking singleplayer content. When you see other games that have actually shifted focus, and not just pretty much discarded existing elements (like say Rainbow Six Siege), then you can actually see how it's shift in focus has resulted in content being developed to facilitate that focus. That's not here with GTS... it's the same content that you'd have in the previous games.. only far less of it. It's not like everyone involved in the development of the game was tasked with contributing to the creation of the SR system.. so why is it an explanation for there just being less of everything?

MaDKaT

Not everyone is as enlightened as we are. I have half a dozen friends that bought GTS hoping for the next GT mainline and were severely disappointed. 5 of them returned the game, 1 kept it.

It's anecdotal, sure, but it's something totally conceivable. People see a new GT game after half a decade, they will assume it's a new entry in their favorite series. Only it's not.

I've had similar conversations in my group. They didn't buy though and are just waiting it out to see how it goes since none of them are really into online racing.

They had to be gutted because they started from scratch since ps3 premiuns were not good enough for ps4.

Thats the real issue here, its the lack of content. Sport mode is matchmaking and a rating system, its not something developed in detriment to the content.

They would sing a different tone if they had 1000 cars and 50 tracks ready.

Having matchmaking and a rating system is just a feature. It would be there if the game had 100, 500 or 1000 cars.

Saying the focus is on online mode so thats why content is so limited makes no sense at all.

Driving model is good enough, so the real issue is content, specially when you look into which models and tracks are in.

Calabi

This is why we can't have good things. The series is finally evolving, Sport is on it's way to be the best GT since GT 3, and now the game is getting panned for something that it didn't want to be from the beginning. And people are moaning about career mode which was never that good. I get the content complaints, but we are eventually going to get all those cars and tracks. And the goddamned singleplayer races btw. PD is slow in terms of making content and they should do something about that, but they always deliver a great product.

Its true, campaign was never very good, it was kind of a mess, but thats kind of what I liked about it. I'm a casual fan of the GT games. I dont understand all the intricacies of cars and racing, and I'm not interested in photographing them. The campaign allowed you to game the system and mess around and just have fun driving all these real world cars.

It feels like GT Sport has gone super hardcore and inaccessible to me. Like I hate the driving licences aspect of the previous games. And this feels like they've expanded that out to the whole game. All these tests to drive perfectly and strictly within these limits. Its just not fun to me. And neither is racing against other people.

I dont know but I think a lot of people will be disappointed in this, hopefully they arent misled to believing this game is similar to the previous ones.

Rodelero

GTS' online focus is really just a new mode with a new rating and matchmaking system

This is like saying PUBG is merely a variant of Deathmatch. It so completely understates what Sport mode represents and it massively undermines your point. Sport mode is, for me, a complete revelation. I was all but done with online racing until this game released - and that's because it's much more than 'just a new mode'. It combines a handful of things together and in doing so realises my dream of having great racing via public matchmaking. I've never experienced anything like this in any Gran Turismo game, any Forza game, or, in actual fact, any console racing game.

I broadly agree with the rest of what you say in regards to this game lacking content in various ways, but then I'm not sure many are actually debating that.

Gestault

I've had similar conversations in my group. They didn't buy though and are just waiting it out to see how it goes since none of them are really into online racing.

Two friends I've swapped times with on racing games for decades aren't buying GTS because of the changes. Gran Turismo is normally our jam.They don't care about online races, and specifically don't give a shit about a game trying to mimic penalties. They want career, and they want time trials on a lot of tracks.

Let me tell you, that's a huge disappointment for me, and I'm trying to keep things in perspective, because it's one of the ways I've kept up with them through adulthood. This is a change in a game series potentially having an impact on my personal connections. It is what it is, but that's a real-world result. Changing the nature of a series and offering less overall is a huge risk, and it hasn't really played out great for me.

Ridesh

Banned
nick-cage-lol.gif

This thread man is just amazing. The excuses, the meltdown, the deep philosophical internal debates people are obviously having- amazing :D
You can always trust on Sony exclusives to have the most entertaining reviews threads. People get crazy.

Dr.Phibes

Having just returned from the sweet real world track racing of the Porsche Challenge 911 GTS I honestly think you are wrong regarding GTS.

Real life track racing is not hard, proper cars handle like dream and you dont need slick tyres to have amazing levels of grip.

I find "hard" simulation games extremely unrealistic.

Modern street cars can be great handling wise, so I won't disagree on this.
My main gripe with Forza and GT is the FFB as it absolutely fails to capture how cars communicate with the driver through forces.
As an an avid amateur race car driver I vastly prefer what games like iRacing, AC and AMS are doing.

This is like saying PUBG is merely a variant of Deathmatch. It so completely understates what Sport mode represents.

Again, what is new in the sport mode?

Matchmaking was done beautifully in prologue and we all wanted back, open lobbies are a standard, so you have the new rating system.

Whatelse is new on the sport mode?

MaDKaT

Two friends I've swapped times with on racing games for decades aren't buying GTS because of the changes. Gran Turismo is normally our jam.They don't care about online races, and specifically don't give a shit about a game trying to mimic penalties. They want career, and they want time trials on a lot of tracks.

Let me tell you, that's a huge disappointment for me, and I'm trying to keep things in perspective, because it's one of the ways I've kept up with them through adulthood. This is a change in a game series potentially having an impact on my personal connections. It is what it is, but that's a real-world result. Changing the nature of a series and offering less overall is a huge risk, and it hasn't really played out great for me.

Yeah, that is mostly what we did. We really enjoyed chasing each others racing line in the previous game.

Synth

This is like saying PUBG is merely a variant of Deathmatch. It so completely understates what Sport mode represents.

No it's not. Because the game's mechanics, user interface, maps (or just map I guess), etc in PUBG are all tailored to that game's mode. You couldn't say turn Uncharted 4's MP into a PUBG type game without making a LOT of changes across the board to facilitate it... hell, to even facilitate its playercount alone. You'd basically be making a Counter-Strike level mod at that point. On track gameplay in GTS is the same as it always was, with the exception of the ghosting. There's nothing that facilitates a requirement for completely different assets to be created or mechanics to be established. It's a matchmaking and curation feature, much like a ton of different modes in the same games are. It doesn't justify the rest of the stuff being absent. Again, if Leagues in Forza Motorsport 6 somehow led to the car count being quartered and the Career mode resembling that of Forza Motorsport 6 Apex... you'd be hard pressed to explain how one has led to the other.

cackhyena

I thought I might want this after hearing what Forza 7 is doing. Then I listened to the Bombcast. Definitely not for me. I don't get who its for, really. Seems meagre as hell.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
My copy showed up last night and Wow, the metal box and cover is exceptional. Easily the best cover for me.

It’s that kind of exquisite detail that elevates a 6.2 game up to 7.6.

;-)

For some reason I though GTS was supposed to be on the arcady side of sim racers. Guess not.

Gonna stick to Forza Horza 3 then. I didn't pick up all the DLC yet and that Hot Wheels expansion looks dope

Unknown?

Wow I wake up and check this thread out and Metacritic still hasn’t added most of the reviews that are out there. Both Meta and Open are trash if you’re just looking for an average, but we already knew that. Lol

advion

Neo Member
For some reason I though GTS was supposed to be on the arcady side of sim racers. Guess not.

Gonna stick to Forza Horza 3 then. I didn't pick up all the DLC yet and that Hot Wheels expansion looks dope

GT and Forza have always been sim-cade racers. I didn't think FH3 felt much different from F6/7 and F7 doesn't feel very different from GTS to me. But I am a snob and come from iRacing/LFS/AC.

Loudninja

Gran Turismo has always boasted best-in-class handling, and Sport is no different in that regard - indeed, if it wasn't for the relatively recent arrival of Assetto Corsa, this could happily boast of being the finest driving pure driving experience available on console. It's not quite there - the lack of full support for clutch simulation, and a handful of other small gripes, hampers its cause somewhat - but it's a compelling ride all the same, acquitting itself well regardless of whether you're playing on pad or wheel. Gran Turismo Sport's weight transfer sets it apart from its peers, its cars feeling truly alive upon braking and cornering, and regardless of whether it's the most authentic of sims or not I don't think any driving game is able to communicate quite so effectively the difference between a FWD Golf GTI and a midship sportscar such as the Alfa Romeo 4C.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-10-17-gran-turismo-sport-review

Loudninja

Yea, that is some ridiculous bullshit right there. And Eurogamer reviews are usually the most well informed out there.
But it’s not really the modes which are the heart of the series’ appeal, and what’s most exciting about having Gran Turismo back is the handling. As good as Forza has gotten recently, GT Sport’s driving model is still the best in the business. It’s that rarest of all things: a compromise that pleases everyone. It’s more accessible than Project CARS and the Codemasters games, and yet the feeling of weight and balance is wonderfully nuanced and appropriately different for every car. And it all works perfectly well even with an ordinary DualShock controller.
http://metro.co.uk/2017/10/19/gran-turismo-sport-review-back-in-the-race-7010895/

As of right now GTS is the 2nd lowest scored GT to date. Im not sure if this is suppose to be GT7 or not, but if not then they may want to take GT7 in a different direction for the future. If this isnt GT7, then i dont understand what takes them so long.

Metacritic

Gran Turismo - 96
Gran Turismo 2 - 93
Gran turismo 3 - 95
Gran Turismo 4 - 89
Gran Turismo HD C - 82
Gran Turismo 5 P - 80
Gran Turismo PSP - 74
Gran Turismo 5 - 84
Gran Turismo 6 - 81
Gran Turismo Sport - 76 (TBD)

Synth

This is like saying PUBG is merely a variant of Deathmatch. It so completely understates what Sport mode represents and it massively undermines your point. Sport mode is, for me, a complete revelation. I was all but done with online racing until this game released - and that's because it's much more than 'just a new mode'. It combines a handful of things together and in doing so realises my dream of having great racing via public matchmaking. I've never experienced anything like this in any Gran Turismo game, any Forza game, or, in actual fact, any console racing game.

I broadly agree with the rest of what you say in regards to this game lacking content in various ways, but then I'm not sure many are actually debating that.

Since I didn't catch your edit with my original reply, I'll follow on from it here.

I'm not questioning how much the addition of Sport mode may mean to you. I'm only arguing against the idea that its inclusion should somehow invalidate reviewers contrasting the game's content and offering negatively against other racers. For a more direct comparison then, let's go with Halo 2.

I think we can all agree that Halo 2 (and pretty much every Halo since) placed a lot more of its focus on its MP offerings in comparison to the original, and much like GTS they added a new way to find other players that was as of the time uncommon in online games (Trueskill matchmaking, as opposed to just hopping onto a random server and hoping for the best). It can hardly be argued that this wasn't a huge deal to a lot of people also, and made online gaming fun for many people that would probably not have found playing something like Quake 3 or Unreal Tournament on Dreamcast very appealing. It was impactful enough, that basically every online game since has done the same. What didn't happen however, was the introduction of this new matchmaking system having a direct effect on everything else in the game, leaving it lacking in content (especially single-player) when compared with its predecessor and/or other FPS games of its time. And why should it? It's a goddamn matchmaking system... and (again like GTS) not even wholly original. It'd been done elsewhere, and all you needed to do was change the rules on how players are put together, and track some variables that occur during each match. It's the sort of thing that you just add to the game to make it better... it has no business being at the cost of pretty much any other area of development.

Prophane33

Now that there are 97 Amazon Japan reviews, there is enough of a a data set to compare with the US Amazon reviews (117 reviews). 2.3 (JP) and 2.5 (US) out of 5 stars.

One marked difference I see is that a lot of the Japanese reviewers are personally calling out Kaz, and some are complaining it's a "shoddy copy" of Iracing. They also seem to be quite frustrated at the volume of content (i.e., cars and tracks).

Something in common between both US and JP Amazon reviews is that many people have just always bought the series, sight unseen, and are surprised at what the new entry is.

It's a great game, but it's certainly not going to appeal to everyone, even those who have followed the series since the beginning. I REALLY wish they would have done a better job of making it 100% clear what this game is and what it has beforehand to a more general audience, because as it is the general audience (i.e., not people who are constantly reading info on GT forums) is surprised and disappointed by what this entry is (of course I'm hoping there are some outliers who actually do enjoy what it is). Sadly, this is going to be the biggest source of bad user reviews.

FZW

As of right now GTS is the 2nd lowest scored GT to date. Im not sure if this is suppose to be GT7 or not, but if not then they may want to take GT7 in a different direction for the future. If this isnt GT7, then i dont understand what takes them so long.

Metacritic

Gran Turismo - 96
Gran Turismo 2 - 93
Gran turismo 3 - 95
Gran Turismo 4 - 89
Gran Turismo HD C - 82
Gran Turismo 5 P - 80
Gran Turismo PSP - 74
Gran Turismo 5 - 84
Gran Turismo 6 - 81

I hope they do

Hojaho

It feels like GT Sport has gone super hardcore and inaccessible to me. Like I hate the driving licences aspect of the previous games. And this feels like they've expanded that out to the whole game. All these tests to drive perfectly and strictly within these limits. Its just not fun to me. And neither is racing against other people.

One of the focus of the game is to teach people the basics of driving on a racetrack. It’s only hardcore if you’re trying to gold every tests, the timing are not strict at all to get bronze (which is enough to progress). The game is very accessible. Moreover you can enable tons of assist to even make it easier.

One of the focus of the game is to teach people the basics of driving on a racetrack. It’s only hardcore if you’re trying to gold every tests, the timing are not strict at all to get bronze (which is enough to progress). The game is very accessible. Moreover you can enable tons of assist to even make it easier.

Its also teaching the same old bad habits of former GT games, like overtaking five cars in 20 seconds.

Or braking while turning.

Its just one of the many inconsistencies of this game, it says its teaching people how to drive properly, but it isnt.

Believe whatever you want. I'm not getting into a physics discussion with you.
Put on the comfort hard tire compound on a 100-150hp RWD car in GTS and turn traction control and abs of. Or take a FWD production car, make the ride height as high as it gets and when pushing it on the track mid-corner shift down 2 gears at once without rev matching and see how much lift-off oversteer you get.

Or braking while turning.
Well, braking while turning(or better, "turning in while still slightly on the brake") - if done right - is the right way for most corners. But in GTS cars usually just understeer under braking even with no wheel lock-up and on a rearward brake balance. Physics are made to be stable when playing with a controller.

I love how everyone is hating on giant bomb and quick looks because they didn't like the game. Even if they can't race like "pros" it still shows you all the game features, progression, menus, content or black there of. You can hate on them as much as you like but it's not like they were hiding any features or gameplay. It's shows the game as-is and a lot of people don't like what's being offered.

They do show elements off but they often have deductive abilities similar to that streamer who is popular because he couldn't figure out how to crouch jump in HL2. They also provide a lot of misinformation because of this or a lack of research. I have seen many quick looks where they have been consistently factually incorrect throughout and have failed to highlight basic functionality because they haven't read a six word sentence that is highlighted next to what they are trying to do. I haven't even watched the GT:S GB quick look because I know its not an accurate representation of the product (or any product) for an end user, it is just entertainment with a new product at the centre. I don't get why either side is holding it up as it isn't a review and going from many comments in this thread it was miss-informative.

No, I could make a really good and long, very well thought through argument for both GTS and Forza not being sim. There are enough differences to what and how car tech and actual races, wear etc. is simulated when compared to most PC sims.

But since this is not my actual opinion, I'm not gonna waste my time on it. I definitely could though.

There is no GTS review on Giant Bomb. And this is not me being pedantic.

You could argue the quality of the sim but by the definition of what a simulation is it is a sim.

Metacritic

Gran Turismo - 96
Gran Turismo 2 - 93
Gran turismo 3 - 95
Gran Turismo 4 - 89
Gran Turismo HD C - 82
Gran Turismo 5 P - 80
Gran Turismo PSP - 74
Gran Turismo 5 - 84
Gran Turismo 6 - 81

Once the reviews get up to around 40 - 45, the meta score will not deviate a lot from that point.

mojo2

Neo Member
The ghosting of other players, and the Sportsmanship stuff looks very frustrating in the Giantbomb Quick Look.

Those are the best parts of the game. Now part of me want's to watch that video.

E: 50 minutes? Nah.
E2: Playing with gamepad, driving line on, in qualifying moping "now we need to kill three minutes by driving these warm up rounds". Sigh.

F7 felt very different for me than FH3, but I'm a scrub that usually puts on assists :(

They are different. They use the same physics and all that, but horizon allows you to go off road without penalty making it very different. Im not sure if there is any other big differences between the two, but that alone will give it a very different feel.

Both excellent games though. Ive come to find myself preferring Horizon though. Frankly i think Horizon 3 is the best racing game Ive ever played.

Top Bottom