• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

Hello
i am here for the storm blood, i figure talking here about it might be fun.
greetings

o/

be nice to white mages, they having a tough enough time they dont need your jokes.

iammeiam

The greatest tragedy are all the sweet animations we're losing.

RIP Scourge, Dancing Edge, and Rend Mind. How we get stuck with all the shitty ones instead is the true mystery.

It's pretty likely nobody on earth is bitching about Rend Mind animation loss as much as I am (or the general MCH situation because lolneverhappy) BUT

I will say

their choices were getting rid of Kneeling Shot or Wrench Throw animations; I can't fault them for keeping Wrench Throw.

I can however fault them for not finding another place to stick Kneeling Shot. it looked cool! and also like the only animation that made sense for a cast time! so of course it was on a hyper situation instant ogcd!

Grisby

Been logging in here and there for events only really. Last story stuff I finished was the end of the Dragonsong war so I got a ways to go to hit Stormblood I imagine.

Plus, there's just too many games right now. I'm buying SB day 1 to show my support but I probably wont get around to it until later this year/next year.

Going off the first few pages, maybe my WHM will be more useful when I finally start playing serious again.

Sillution

I really want to play this but I don't know if I really have the free time to justify the monthly fee which in itself is a slight issue at the moment. I played a bit when heavensward first came out but stopped and haven't touched it since. I really want to try RDM and Sam and I'd have to start fresh as well. What to do, what to do...

duckroll

Wait, really? I could swear I only bought Heavensward on one or the other.

You can check what licenses you own in the Mogstation site. They list licenses for each platform separately. In fact, even Steam and Windows PC are considered different platforms!

Square Enix rocks. :p

*cough*

Stuart444

so with AoE partly dead (compared to pre-SB), how likely is it for tanks to pull everything and then whine when they can't be aoe'd down fast?

so if i want my level 50 ninja to go into heavensward as a samurai, am i going to have to buy gear? Or will they start me off with level 50 samurai gear.

Luminaire

so with AoE partly dead (compared to pre-SB), how likely is it for tanks to pull everything and then whine when they can't be aoe'd down fast?

At the beginning of 4.0, it'll be hell. Low gear, new mechanics/enemies, possibly bigger packs, dungeon hazards, etc. All that will probably get blamed on AOE damage.

so if i want my level 50 ninja to go into heavensward as a samurai, am i going to have to buy gear? Or will they start me off with level 50 samurai gear.

I believe SAM shares MNK gear up to 60.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

Tanks did it anyways with classes that didnt have great aoe, so its gonna still happen if it's faster overall

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
AST will bring all the AoE we need.

Hail AST.

Stuart444

At the beginning of 4.0, it'll be hell. Low gear, new mechanics/enemies, possibly bigger packs, dungeon hazards, etc. All that will probably get blamed on AOE damage.

I remember wipes in Dusk Vigil by tanks who don't seem to get that things hit a lot harder now with new content etc. Pulling too much and dying and blaming healers/dps :(

duckroll

Geirskogul no longer reduces Blood of the Dragon timer, so between that, Dragonfire Dive, and spamming Doomspike, I think DRG is still good for AoE.

Qvoth

had my character logged out in rising stones, ready for SB!
only have the 3 days early access to play before leaving for 2 weeks vacation :<
gonna grind as much as i can

Luminaire

So i should buy level 50 monk gear?

Yes, Ironworks gear should hold you over until about level 54-55.

However, if you plan to smash your head into POTD until 60, it won't matter as gear there is separate.

I remember wipes in Dusk Vigil by tanks who don't seem to get that things hit a lot harder now with new content etc. Pulling too much and dying and blaming healers/dps :(

So many lustrates burned on the first pull...

LordKasual

Banned
The greatest tragedy are all the sweet animations we're losing.

RIP Scourge, Dancing Edge, and Rend Mind. How we get stuck with all the shitty ones instead is the true mystery.

this

Sourge was probably one of my favorite DRK animations. And all the other unique ones that are now in the trash can....

Unless you're a Black Mage

ohhhh unless you're a black mage

Rncewind

first time playing ffxiv!

buyed about 1 month ago and i got freshly to 50. now i parked my character to wait for samurai

Stuart444

Geirskogul no longer reduces Blood of the Dragon timer, so between that, Dragonfire Dive, and spamming Doomspike, I think DRG is still good for AoE.

Like I've said before, one of my favourite changes. It just stresses me out honestly so this change helps.

Also anyone else noticed the fact that HP seems... decreased in all recent footage? At level 70, your hp seems roughly what it is now or just a bit above that when 30ilvls with the usual vit increases should make hp be a lot higher.

Makes me worried that past fights may be more difficult if HP is indeed lower (and possibly other stats?) since unlike SB, none of the previous fights were tuned with these updates in mind.

Of course maybe it's just me and I have no reason to worry, we'll find out in about 29 hours or something :)

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
I never did get around to doing any of the Extreme primals after Ravana. I'm in full 270 gear and have my Lux weapon though. Might try to clear the 5 remaining fights tomorrow if I can find a group. Don't wanna miss the proper versions of the fights since everyone will just unsyc them after Stormblood. I couldn't beat T13 before HW launched and it was depressing just facerolling it at level 60.

Luminaire

Like I've said before, one of my favourite changes. It just stresses me out honestly so this change helps.

Also anyone else noticed the fact that HP seems... decreased in all recent footage? At level 70, your hp seems roughly what it is now or just a bit above that when 30ilvls with the usual vit increases should make hp be a lot higher.

Makes me worried that past fights may be more difficult if HP is indeed lower (and possibly other stats?) since unlike SB, none of the previous fights were tuned with these updates in mind.

Of course maybe it's just me and I have no reason to worry, we'll find out in about 29 hours or something :)

I noticed it too, only seemed to be about a 5k difference on BLM. I believe the gear was 290 though, was it not? 20~ ilvls only giving 5k makes sense, as our stats don't seem to scale all that high from levels alone. Could be wrong. Probably wrong.

Ettie

So, by chance, the SO and I were planning on buying the base game and trying this out in a few weekends from now. Should we expect queues and lag for awhile? When BDO hit steam and had that $6 sale at the same time it made for a terrible first impression. Would like to avoid that with ffxiv.

Stuart444

I noticed it too, only seemed to be about a 5k difference on BLM. I believe the gear was 290 though, was it not? 20~ ilvls only giving 5k makes sense, as our stats don't seem to scale all that high from levels alone. Could be wrong. Probably wrong.

Maybe. Might just be me overthinking it but the hp just seemed lower than expected.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I never did get around to doing any of the Extreme primals after Ravana. I'm in full 270 gear and have my Lux weapon though. Might try to clear the 5 remaining fights tomorrow if I can find a group. Don't wanna miss the proper versions of the fights since everyone will just unsyc them after Stormblood. I couldn't beat T13 before HW launched and it was depressing just facerolling it at level 60.

Server's go down in just over 5 hours.

duckroll

I'm really excited to tweak my crossbar and try out new rotations for BotD. Especially since it sounds like we can go WT/FC -> GEK -> FC/WT. Position for one, throw the AOE while repositioning for the second one. And that should boost BotD substantially so I don't feel rushed for the next set of normal combos. Exciting!

Luminaire

I'm really excited to tweak my crossbar and try out new rotations for BotD. Especially since it sounds like we can go WT/FC -> GEK -> FC/WT. Position for one, throw the AOE while repositioning for the second one. And that should boost BotD substantially so I don't feel rushed for the next set of normal combos. Exciting!

I don't play DRG anymore but I think my favorite change is the NOT RANDOM COMBO FINISHER.

Xux

EZzsryN.png
Just me, Archibald, and a low-poly bottle of wine until Stormblood.

scy

Define recent footage here? Susano trial is Level 63 synced so they're +3 levels but i270 otherwise so they should be around current values. The Live Letter footage was i290 and the WAR was some 5k or so HP over mine @i270. Off-hand, I want to say I had around 10k in Slaying pentamelds during Final Coil and entry into Gordias, 50-ish ilvls later, was around +7k HP.

jorgeton

Nice OT!

So ready for this HNNGG

Not sure which class to roll through the story with, but I did spend a good chunk of 2017 getting my shiny NIN relic.. so I guess it's Mudra time?

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Apparently Contre Sixte got AOE falloff too...
They really don't want you to ever AOE anything. Jesus H. Christ.
I wish whoever responsible for this decision got a fall off stairs.

iammeiam

Is this a "raid utility"?

If real.

I'm on team 'lolfake' but if it is real, they're going to have to cram mandatory LB3s into like... every single fight... or it's just gonna be double pld/double ast all day every day.

Feeroper

Alright, so I am going to join the Ultros server (have characters on Gilgamesh presently). I haven't ever completed the ARR campaign before, but I feel inspired to do so now and Heavensward as well so I can eventually get to the new expansion. I want to experience the story though and not pay to bypass it all.

I've currently created an Au Ra Thaumaturge with the intent to go into Black Mage

I also want to create another character eventually as well - maybe a Dragoon eventually?

Anyhow - I'm looking forward to diving in and actually getting to go through this content. Are there any tips or suggestions for someone who has not played through much of the game to date? Is Black Mage a good class to work towards? How about Dragoon?

I'd like to take the Dark Knight for a spin but I know that requires certain story elements to be completed.

Also - are there any suggestions for races to consider for certain classes that I mentioned here like the Dragoon?

duckroll

I would not recommend creating two characters. It is far better to just eventually learn multiple jobs on one character. Managing two different characters seems like additional grind that just isn't worth it.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Apparently Contre Sixte got AOE falloff too...
They really don't want you to ever AOE anything. Jesus H. Christ.
I wish whoever responsible for this decision got a fall off stairs.

He would only take full damage from the first step, then 80% from the next, 60% from the one after that, 40% for the fourth step, and then 20% for all the remaining steps.

Top Bottom