• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movie properties that can be made into a great game through a good developer

HussiZooT

I was rummaging through my old PS2 collection of games and came across The Matrix: Path of Neo, and the thought instantly went into my head - why haven't we had more Matrix games? It's a world full of possibilities and still, we only have 3 bad to above average games.

I personally loved Path of Neo. Yes the game had quite a lot of technical problems and it was far from perfect but the journey was great. And it was a fun beat-em-up with super clunky shooting mechanics. But maybe if the reigns were given to a proven developer, maybe they could make something amazing out of this universe?

3RM79h.gif

Similarly we could get a good James Bond game that's not tied to a movie's release and is a stand-alone title. Imagine having the likes of Naughty Dog or Remedy working on an IP like this. How great could that Bond game turnout?

10313.jpg

The last great James Bond game according to me.

And while we're at it, I really feel we lack real-world beat-em-ups off lately. I remember playing Jackie Chan Stuntmaster on the PS1 and had a blast going through it. Why can't we have more Jackie Chan'esque games that are beat-em-ups and platformers with epic set pieces? Basically an Uncharted minus the guns? Or maybe add guns too? I don't know.

a0b76f50b26053863a67d09f55063dc9ba3e7691_hq.gif

But yeah, we all know about the fate of movie based games and how they usually turn out. But maybe at the hands of the right developer, it could be a goldmine?

My picks are:
The Matrix - Sucker Punch/Insomniac games
James Bond - Naughty Dog/Remedy
Jackie Chan'esque adventure/action beat-em-up - Rocksteady Games
John Wick - Platinum Games/Remedy/Rockstar Games

What about you guys? What're your picks?

Rick1o1

I would love to see another Jurassic Park action or horror type game. You could make it more dino crisis style or something. I think it could work but I don't know what dev would be a good pick.

A cyberpunk style game set in the world of ghost in the shell could also be cool. It wasn't a great movie (anime was better) but I like the visuals and the world.

I would also like a good x-men game, but I don't see that happening anytime soon with all the Disney Fox nonsense.

McLovin

I have to admit it OP, John Wick by Platinum games would be god like. How about Edge of Tomorrow? Not sure who could make it good though.

TimFL

I have to admit it OP, John Wick by Platinum games would be god like. How about Edge of Tomorrow? Not sure who could make it good though.

I think Edge of Tomorrow could get old very fast. They'd have to do hardcore scripted stuff so it's always the same behavior if you repeat steps (so you can learn to evade attacks) which is a huge task in itself. And the die and start from day 0 again isn't really appealing.

Taker666

I've always liked the idea of the team behind Pikmin making a 'Gremlins' game.

Instead of Olimar you play as Stripe...and command other Gremlins to do your bidding by attacking/sabotaging vehicles & electronic equipment, stealing, finding water sources, food etc.

LordRaptor

I think Edge of Tomorrow could get old very fast. They'd have to do hardcore scripted stuff so it's always the same behavior if you repeat steps (so you can learn to evade attacks) which is a huge task in itself. And the die and start from day 0 again isn't really appealing.

The thing about Edge Of Tomorrow (or Groundhog day) is that their entire premise is literally how most videogames work - thats why you can do things like tools assisted speedruns for most games, because the vast majority of games things go down exactly the same way each time outside of player urgency.
The ones that don't are the ones heavily steeped in physics interactions - the World of Goos and Goat Simulators of the world.

I agree with the 'start from the start' monotony, but thats easily skipped with a checkpoint when you do a 'perfect run' section.

Top Bottom