• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ZombiU |OT| Zombi Emergency! WiiU WiiU WiiU WiiU

Mael

earvcunanan, I'm weak I watched your 1rst vid and I can say that it's actually very good (the only stream with both Pad view and screen view I think).
Also I'm actually having fun watching streams of the game online like some sort of horror movie with the twist that I don't know if the hero will live and when he will die (that usually don't happen in films because there wouldn't be any film to speak of and you can't possibly introduce a new character as the protagonist 50min into the film either :/).
I get a Eternal Darkness vibe in how IDK when the characters arc will end and when a new one will appear.
I don't know if I'm making sense, I can't wait to get my hands on it...

So...
The game is bad and its excellent at the same time.
If you like shooter, this is not your game.
If you like classic survival, this is your game.
Gaming press did a poor job reviewing this game, it's hard to believe press at this time.

Question:
I loved Alone in the dark, RE:1, RE:2 and Silent Hill 1. May I buy ZombiU?
Thanks.

Buy it, you're very unlikely to be disappointed.

oatmeal

Banned
I've put in about 2 and a half hours.

2 of those hours were with 2 survivors, and then 4 other survivors made up the other 30 minutes.

What a crazy fucking game.

I'm in the Buckingham basement and...that big set piece (You know what one) was terrifying. I ran out of ammo and just ran away and then used flares and the bat to pick the last 4 or 5 off.

Wowzers.

The save rooms are cruel, though. They don't really mean that much...I guess if you save, you are able to quit there? Can you save and quit during gameplay anywhere else?

So...
Gaming press did a poor job reviewing this game, it's hard to believe press at this time.

Question:
Thanks.

I really like all of the games you listed and I'm liking ZombiU. Definitely buy this game - it's a breath of fresh air despite a setting we're all familiar to.

earvcunanan, I'm weak I watched your 1rst vid and I can say that it's actually very good (the only stream with both Pad view and screen view I think).
Also I'm actually having fun watching streams of the game online like some sort of horror movie with the twist that I don't know if the hero will live and when he will die (that usually don't happen in films because there wouldn't be any film to speak of and you can't possibly introduce a new character as the protagonist 50min into the film either :/).
I get a Eternal Darkness vibe in how IDK when the characters arc will end and when a new one will appear.
I don't know if I'm making sense, I can't wait to get my hands on it...

Heh, thanks! If you're liking what you've been seeing so far, you're going to even have a greater time experiencing it yourself. Play in the dark with headphones on if you can :p

I've put in about 2 and a half hours.

2 of those hours were with 2 survivors, and then 4 other survivors made up the other 30 minutes.

What a crazy fucking game.

I'm in the Buckingham basement and...that big set piece (You know what one) was terrifying. I ran out of ammo and just ran away and then used flares and the bat to pick the last 4 or 5 off.

Wowzers.

The save rooms are cruel, though. They don't really mean that much...I guess if you save, you are able to quit there? Can you save and quit during gameplay anywhere else?

Can only save in those rooms, it seems. It's crazy, but I like it.

Sanctuary

So far I'm mostly enjoying the atmosphere, and I don't have too much of a problem (yet) with the cricket bat, but what the hell is up with the dingy overlay that ruins the look of the game? I'm all for a "movie" type film grain or overlay that tints the color for flavor, but the way Ubisoft handled it in this game has me scratching my head. It literally makes the Wii U look like it's barely running above 480p most of the time, and it has nothing to do with the power of the system. Whenever you scan the environment it's completely clear that it's a design choice, because the environment looks quite a bit better through the scanner instead of all dithered and washed out.

Also, what's up with the "camera" view? Do you have a camera strapped to your chest or something, and you're the first person eyes for Prepper? I can't tell if it's supposed to be a camera or a compass, but the whole disembodied look just adds a level of disconnect between you and your current avatar. It never actually feels like I'm walking anywhere either, but instead gliding.

So...

Question:
Thanks.

You shouldn't try to imply that if you love FPS's you won't enjoy the game. I play tons of FPS games and I dont really like survival horror games but I love this game.

BossRoss

Banned
What I really enjoy about this game is that every zombie encounter is meaningful. It starts when you hear the ping on your sonar, all of a sudden you are on full alert. Then you hear two separate pings...oh shit...not 3 pings!!!

This aint resident evil, if you have more than one zombie pursuing you, you are most likely fucked. The brutal way in which you must beat zombies to death with a club really amps up the tension of each encounter. One wrong move and the try to bite you....game over.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Has anyone in the world been able to finish this game on one survivor?

Not likely. Devs posted a message about the first people who beat the game at all, which was yesterday, so I'm sure we'll hear about the first to be Survival mode too. But it might be a while.

I'm picking up my WiiU today. Mario or ZombiU?

If you have other people to play with, Mario. Playing 2-4 players in the game (and NSMB Wii) is amazing. You can play with highly skilled players and complete new comers. Oh and it's a really amazing Mario title by itself.

Get ZombiU if you're playing single player, and if you enjoy slow paced.. really punishing games that live on atmosphere more than anything. If you get easily frustrated it's not for you.

Downhome

I'm starting to regret starting my first play through on survival mode. Ah, I can't decide if I should stop my game and restart it on the normal mode or try to soldier through. This isn't easy not knowing what to do at all!

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I'm starting to regret starting my first play through on survival mode. Ah, I can't decide if I should stop my game and restart it on the normal mode or try to soldier through. This isn't easy not knowing what to do at all!

Might as well just keep pushing on and learning. When do you eventually die, you'll be able to use that knowledge for your next playthrough.

Downhome

Might as well just keep pushing on and learning. When do you eventually die, you'll be able to use that knowledge for your next playthrough.

True enough, I'll likely continue on. I know one thing though, it sure as heck makes my playthough for the first time even that much more tense!

Most of my time playing, I almost dread advancing, it's that awesome to me.

Beckx

Got my copy last night. I'm starting to think placing my Wii U in the game room in the dark basement was a bad idea. After about an hour I was too creeped out to keep playing (surround sound is the worst for horror games - that constant feeling that something really *is* behind you).

Would love to have some GAF zombies populate my world, feel free to shoot me a friend request - NNID is beck-x.

Glass Joe

Most of my time playing, I almost dread advancing, it's that awesome to me.

That's the charm of the game, even on normal mode. You just expressed that wonderfully. I think that's why reviews are all over the map. Either people will pick up on the dread & challenge and feel thrilled, or they'll pick up on it and be turned off. Stashing away your goods is an important part of the game. It's not just typical inventory management, but more "oh man what if I die, I don't want to lose all this stuff."

Downhome

I haven't even gone into any details of my love for this game. Just really quick, I love the immersion that the gamepad offers you as you are playing. At the very start, before your character (spoilered just in case, although nothing major at all)
acquires the receiver, I thought something was going on with my gamepad. I could hear the audio on the TV fine, the prepper sounded very faint and far away, and then BAM, I got the receiver and the audio on the gamepad started to work,
and even just that simple touch was an amazing experience.

As long as developers make use of the funtions of the gamepad, this could lead to so many new and different things that it could truly be amazing, and a much larger leap than things like the Wii remotes, Move, and even Kinect offered us all.

That's the charm of the game, even on normal mode. You just expressed that wonderfully. I think that's why reviews are all over the map. Either people will pick up on the dread & challenge and feel thrilled, or they'll pick up on it and be turned off. Stashing away your goods is an important part of the game. It's not just typical inventory management, but more "oh man what if I die, I don't want to lose all this stuff."

It really pisses me off that some people are bashing it for certain reasons. It's insane, no doubt, and a legitimate lack of professionalism in my opinion.

Two moments early in the game should also be noted. The first, at the very start, the entire scene surrounding the "ladder" that everyone talks about, all the way up until you get to the safe house. Just an awesome way to start the game. Then when you are walking around, start to go around a corner, and the prepper advises you not to head towards the hoard, and then other little touches like him helping guide you to items and lets you know that you just passed one. Just all around great touches, to what I can tell so far, an all around great game, especially for a freakin' launch title.

My wife was watching me play last night and she literally shrieked out loud.

So...

Question:
Thanks.

I've played way more shooters than any type of survival horror game and I really like ZombiU.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Found my first major complaint:

Disappearing Zombie bodies. I noticed it when I mowed some down with a turrent a little bit eariler, but it didn't actually hurt my gameplaying method until I decided to pick some Zombies off from a high perch with my crossbow, assuming that later on I could pull the arrow out of their dead Zombie brain, Daryl-style. So I went searching for their corpses after climbing down the ladder leading to my perch, and all I could find was blood. No arrow, no zombie body. :/

Patrick Klepek

furiously molesting tim burton
I lost my shit when I realized how many zombies were pouring into the safe house during that "oh, fuck" moment early in the game. Ugh. Can't believe I survived it.

Also, good tactic that worked for me throughout the game: always have a flare + molotov cocktail/grenade/mine as quick use items. Toss a flare to distract/attract enemies, then lob one of those items at them, or in the case of the mine, wait for the flare to die out, and lure them over to the mine. Always do that instead of wasting bullets on crowds.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I lost my shit when I realized how many zombies were pouring into the safe house during that "oh, fuck" moment early in the game. Ugh. Can't believe I survived it.

Also, good tactic that worked for me throughout the game: always have a flare + molotov cocktail/grenade/mine as quick use items. Toss a flare to distract/attract enemies, then lob one of those items at them, or in the case of the mine, wait for the flare to die out, and lure them over to the mine. Always do that instead of wasting bullets on crowds.

One of my hilarious moments early on was putting a mine down right outside my safehouse door. I thought the zombies were going to break the door down, but apparently they didn't get a good enough look at me. So I was stuck with a mine trapping me in my own safehouse. Had to eventually shoot it from a distance.

Alright... for those that got to the apartment area...
That scene with the dance music...HOLY SHIT. I turned that music off and all those zombies turned to me the moment I did it.
Which lead to me being chased by about 7 walkers and man... talk about one of the most intense gaming experiences I've ever had. I was literally running for my life not knowing what was ahead of me but I had to go that way to progress. Talk about anxiety inducing.

oatmeal

Banned

I died three times on that part. I was so ill-equipped going into it.

Horrifying.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I've finally accepted that I'm going to die a lot in this game (I'm on the 4th survivor around 5 hours in), and almost dying before I reached my last survivor taught me that you only need to take the bare essentials with you, and stockpile to hell and back in your safe house. Losing all your loot in this game would be devastating.

A couple of quick, dumb things:

How do you store loot in your safe house? I haven't been arsed to figure this out yet and it's becoming evident I need to figure it out soon. That last death stung HARD.

More importantly, I'm stuck on something that should be dead simple. In Buckingham Palace,
after you retrieve the book for the doctor he asks you to scan a zombie. I'm presuming it's the one marked as green but the option isn't available. Am I doing something wrong or is this a game breaking bug? If it is, my guess is that it's due to me killing the zombies in the cage outside the door ahead of time.

fart town usa

Gold Member
My final thoughts,

It took me roughly 16 hours to beat it. I played conservatively too and tried to find everything, secret rooms, upgrades, CCTV's. Which I didn't though, I missed at least one
C4 room
and 2 or 3 CCTV's. I think 100% the game would take me closer to 20 hours.

I think I know the twist, I dunno though. The story is interesting but not that important.

However, something else happened and I won't mention anything because it would be a huge spoiler.

The development team seems to have executed their vision extremely well though.

It really is one of the best games I've ever played. It's mind blowing how well done everything is.

The only time, IMO, the game comes off as janky is when you're fighting enemies on stairs. Other than that just ugly textures here and there and all that could be fixed with a longer development cycle/bigger budget. I'll be really happy if they make a sequel, there are so many things they could do with this type of gameplay.

As for bugs, I only ran into one and I had to reset the game, I clipped into a small space and couldn't move out of it.

I think the "nexgen" aspect of it, besides the controller immersion is definitely melee combat. It's fight or flight the entire way through and fighting with the cricket bat is so intense. It's really cinematic is how it looks and plays, but it's entirely up to the player to survive. It's extremely well done. Some reviews call it boring or repetitive, I call it balls to the wall, "holy shit how the hell am I going to live through this??" It's exhilarating for sure.

If I were to compare this to other games I would describe it as the original Resident Evil in first person (combat/inventory) combined with the exploration (scanning/closed off areas/secrets) of Metroid Prime. Souls comparisons go without saying.

That being said, it's time to go jump back in and do another playthrough. I want to switch up how I play and completely uncover everything the game has to offer.

My final thoughts,

It took me roughly 16 hours to beat it. I played conservatively too and tried to find everything, secret rooms, upgrades, CCTV's. Which I didn't though, I missed at least one
C4 room

I think I know the twist, I dunno though. The story is interesting but not that important.

However, something else happened and I won't mention anything because it would be a huge spoiler.

It really is one of the best games I've ever played. It's mind blowing how well done everything is.

The only time, IMO, the game comes off as janky is when you're fighting enemies on stairs. Other than that just ugly textures here and there and all that could be fixed with a longer development cycle/bigger budget. I'll be really happy if they make a sequel, there are so many things they could do with this type of gameplay.

As for bugs, I only ran into one and I had to reset the game, I clipped into a small space and couldn't move out of it.

I think the "nexgen" aspect of it, besides the controller immersion is definitely melee combat. It's fight or flight the entire way through and fighting with the cricket bat is so intense. It's really cinematic is how it looks and plays, but it's entirely up to the player to survive. It's extremely well done. Some reviews call it boring or repetitive, I call it balls to the wall, "holy shit how the hell am I going to live through this??" It's exhilarating for sure.

If I were to compare this to other games I would describe it as the original Resident Evil in first person (combat/inventory) combined with the exploration (scanning/closed off areas/secrets) of Metroid Prime. Souls comparisons go without saying.

That being said, it's time to go jump back in and do another playthrough. I want to switch up how I play and completely uncover everything the game has to offer.
Damn, that sounds like a great game.

A couple of quick, dumb things:

How do you store loot in your safe house? I haven't been arsed to figure this out yet and it's becoming evident I need to figure it out soon. That last death stung HARD.

More importantly, I'm stuck on something that should be dead simple. In Buckingham Palace,
after you retrieve the book for the doctor he asks you to scan a zombie. I'm presuming it's the one marked as green but the option isn't available. Am I doing something wrong or is this a game breaking bug? If it is, my guess is that it's due to me killing the zombies in the cage outside the door ahead of time.

There's a blue bin the monitors. to store your stuff in.

ElRenoRaven

Gold Member
My final thoughts,

C4 room

God. Work can't be over soon enough today. It really can't. I just hope UPS has arrived by the time I get home. lol

Top Bottom