• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA4 Freezing/Crashing Thread - PS3 patch is up, no fix for 360 yet.

Have you experienced the GTA IV crashing/freezing?

Results are only viewable after voting.
When it happens in the cut scene is random so swapping discs and it being earlier doesn't mean anything.

Anyway, I got to work and installed it on the devkit and it's working perfectly fine. I'll try our retail system to see what happens but at this point I'm assuming it's not the disc and swapping it out at the store would be a wasted trip.

I sure hope Rockstar comes up with a solution.

Forsete

sajj316 said:
Wonder if there is some commonality here. Looks like the general consensus is 60 GB models right around launch time. I wonder if there is conflicting files on the PS3 HDD maybe caused by another game that also installed files to the HDD. Maybe its Rachet :) Maybe its VF5 ... I don't know. Just trying to think of something since the problem is so inconsistent yet consistent to 60 GB models.

Does it seem "locked" to US systems?

I have a launch EU PS3 60GB (upgraded to 160GB) and I own these games (all saves and installations should still be on the system)

MotorStorm (US)
Resistance (US)
F1 CE (EU)
Virtua Tennis 3 (US)
Oblivion (US)
The Darkness (US)
Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2 (EU)
Colin McRae Dirt (EU)
Folklore (EU)
Ratchet and Clank Future - Tools of Destruction (US)
Assassins Creed (EU)
Kane and Lynch (US)
Uncharted Drakes Fortune (US) - GOTY 2007
Unreal Tournament 3 (US)
Burnout Paradise (EU)
Star Wars Complete Saga (EU)
Army of TWO (EU)
Everybody’s Golf: World Tour (EU)
Gran Turismo 5 Prologue (EU)

sajj316 said:
Wonder if there is some commonality here. Looks like the general consensus is 60 GB models right around launch time. I wonder if there is conflicting files on the PS3 HDD maybe caused by another game that also installed files to the HDD. Maybe its Rachet :) Maybe its VF5 ... I don't know. Just trying to think of something since the problem is so inconsistent yet consistent to 60 GB models.

again, 20gig launch here, deleted basically everything accept Warhawk and Hotshots. I still use the SIXAXIS, I have over 5000MB left on the HD (the original one, not an upgrade). I just don't know.

jet-
not sure about that one, pal. :(

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Tried joining a multiplayer game last night(360 Elite) and it froze briefly because a story cellphone call came in just as I hit the join multiplayer option. At the exatc same moment my friends list also updated with a popup of someone coming online, so with that trifecta the game kinda shrugged for a minute or so while the music kept playing...eventually it all snapped back and ran just fine without needing to do anything.

Other than that, smooth as silk!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
jetjevons said:
Am I pretty God Damn furious right about now.
Your office should have other PS3s available, right? Perhaps, if you have the chance, you could test your copy out on other machines. I know that's probably the last thing you want to do right now, but what other options are there?

Anyway, I got to work and installed it on the devkit and it's working perfectly fine. I'll try our retail system to see what happens but at this point I'm assuming it's not the disc and swapping it out at the store would be a wasted trip.
Nevermind, that answers that.

Shit, this seems bad. This could be a real problem for casual gamers who lack an internet connection, I'd imagine (in the event that a patch is issued).

At least you've confirmed that the problem exists with specific systems. I don't know what else you could do to solve this problem, however.

Banned
Opiate said:
Can any 360 owners of the game verify freezing issues? Thus far everyone who has posted in here with issues has been a PS3 owner.

I have played the 360 version for over 10 hours with zero problems. During multiplayer I asked if anyone had problems and no one did.

sajj316

TheJollyCorner said:
again, 20gig launch here, deleted basically everything accept Warhawk and Hotshots. I still use the SIXAXIS, I have over 5000MB left on the HD (the original one, not an upgrade). I just don't know.

jet-
not sure about that one, pal. :(

Just trying to help out bud. I haven't gotten my copy of GTA IV yet but I do have a right around launch 60 GB PS3. Very excited about the game but I'm sure Rockstar will fix the issue when properly identified. Sucks that it did happen. QA QA QA .... key to any software release :(

dark10x said:
I have a feeling that Microsoft is extremely pleased by this turn of events...

well, you gotta believe Sony isn't... and hopefully R* and Sony have their tech heads on the phones right now trying to work this out.

right?..................right? :(

dark10x said:

Wasn't it written right at the start of this thread that the problem affects 360s too? I don't see how they would be pleased about this.

I'm not sure about anyone else, but I would think it would be best if people who don't have a problem to stop posting that they don't have a problem. All it's doing is clouding up the thread with really useless info.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
No luck. Nothing is working. Can't get past the opening cinema.

I am SO glad I paid the extra $$$ to get this thing overnighted to me.

Nightz

Ok, so I should be getting my copy from Gamefly soon and this is making me nervous. It seems like it's more common with 60 gig systems, but I think we need to get everyone's configurations and see if we can pinpoint any other common themes. So how about everyone having the problem fill out the following:

PS3 model (20/40/60/80):
Region:
When PS3 was purchased:
Have you upgraded your hard drive?
If so, what make/model/size HDD are you using?
PS3 flat or on its side? (hey you never know...)
Any other information that you think might be relevant:

And it seems less frequent with the 360 version, but if you have one, post your configuration as well.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
ScrabbleBanshee said:
Wasn't it written right at the start of this thread that the problem affects 360s too? I don't see how they would be pleased about this.
Indeed it was, but evidence suggests that 360 occurances are significantly more rare. In fact, I'd imagine any issues 360 users encounter are likely due to the typical buggy 360 hardware issues. How many actual reports have surfaced in regards to 360 crashing problems? Very few.

There seems to be a real software compatibility issue between early model PS3 systems and this game, however. Look at just how many regular posters here have encountered the PS3 bug.

ScrabbleBanshee said:

Except we're not really hearing many (and none thus far at GAF) direct reports that this is the case.

I know because we're all trying to be fair about this we don't want to peg this as a PS3 only issue, but it certainly is looking like at the least it is more widespread with PS3 users, specifically launch PS3 hardware users.

Baker

Banned
dark10x said:

Yeah. After Marty's comment that the disc worked in other PS3's, I think I'll just switch the preorder over to 360. If Gamestop lets me trade a defective PS3 version for 360, I'll try that first just so I can see if it works.

Big-E

Fuck I am worried now. Got my copy this morning but can't play till tomorrow do to school and a party. How the fuck did this get by cert? Any crash like this is designated a serious issue and is an automatic fail and the game must be resubmitted. Rockstar must have did something or promised something to MS and Sony to get it through.

dark10x said:
Indeed it was, but evidence suggests that 360 occurances are significantly more rare. In fact, I'd imagine any issues 360 users encounter are likely due to the typical buggy 360 hardware issues. How many actual reports have surfaced in regards to 360 crashing problems? Very few.

There seems to be a real software compatibility issue between early model PS3 systems and this game, however. Look at just how many regular posters here have encountered the PS3 bug.

So Microsoft should be pleased that the majority of the problems people are having are due to hardware failures that cannot be patched for, whereas any problems people are having with their PS3 are due to buggy R* code that will be patched and go away?

I dunno about this logic.

sprocket

Banned
Come on dont start arguing which console crashes the most and just give the facts people. This is a serious situation. not time for BS fanboyism.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Nightz said:
Ok, so I should be getting my copy from Gamefly soon and this is making me nervous. It seems like it's more common with 60 gig systems, but I think we need to get everyone's configurations and see if we can pinpoint any other common themes. So how about everyone having the problem fill out the following:

PS3 model (20/40/60/80): 60GB
Region: NA
When PS3 was purchased: Last Xmas.
Have you upgraded your hard drive? No.
PS3 flat or on its side? (hey you never know...) Side
Any other information that you think might be relevant:
I've been folding a lot? Dunno

And it seems less frequent with the 360 version, but if you have one, post your configuration as well.

PS3 model (20/40/60/80): 60GB
Region: NA
When PS3 was purchased: Xmas 2007.
PS3 flat or on its side? (hey you never know...) Side
Any other information that you think might be relevant: I've been folding a lot? Dunno

theBishop

Banned
jetjevons said:
So I deleted every single save game and game data file from my work PS3.

Gonna try again completely fresh.

Welcome to 2AM last night at thebishop's apartment. It won't do a goddamn thing... :(

jetjevons said:
No luck. Nothing is working. Can't get past the opening cinema.

I am SO glad I paid the extra $$$ to get this thing overnighted to me.

not that it'll help, but have you tried skipping the opening scene and moving right into gameplay?

generally I can move a bit down the streets, but then FREEZE.

and going by Nightz template:

PS3 model (20/40/60/80): 20gig
Region: US
When PS3 was purchased: launch 2006
If so, what make/model/size HDD are you using? N/A
PS3 flat or on its side? flat
Any other information that you think might be relevant: still decent amount of HD space left, newest firmware downloaded (2.30)

theBishop

Banned
Choke on the Magic said:
US 60gb owner and I played from 12:40 am til 7:00 am no problems. No problems with the framerate and I saw only one minor pop in.

We're talking about a specific problem, not framerate hitches and pop-in.

The game is unplayable. The screen randomly freezes on a single frame while the audio keeps playing. The controller is no longer responsive and you must hard reset.

Baker

Banned
I'm bored sorry...

I wonder if it could be a problem like Ratchet had. If there's a glitch with how much HDD space you have available, that could be why the 60gig models are showing the most problems.

Edit: Or I guess not, since people have been deleting crap off their HDDs anyways.

theBishop said:
We're talking about a specific problem, not framerate hitches and pop-in.

The game is unplayable. The screen randomly freezes on a single frame while the audio keeps playing. The controller is no longer responsive and you must hard reset.

So no signs or symptoms leading up to the problem? Just freezing mid game play? Does it continue to happen after the hard reset or what? I'm reading about people uninstalling/reinstalling, is that helping?

Either way this is totally pathetic that R* missed such a seemingly obvious gigantic bug. The only positive thing I can say to those with launch units having a problem with the game is that it's a high profile game and that there is no way they don't have their best people on it debugging it as we speak. I expect you'll be patched within the week.

Still, release day patches are pathetic.

I'm an 80GB owner, and Dell still hasn't even shipped the game to me anyway, so I can't add anything else to this conversation.

ScrabbleBanshee said:
Either way this is totally pathetic that R* missed such a seemingly obvious gigantic bug. The only positive thing I can say to those with launch units having a problem with the game is that it's a high profile game and that there is no way they don't have their best people on it debugging it as we speak. I expect you'll be patched within the week.

Still, release day patches are pathetic.

The QA credits are on the side of Romans car door in opening credits. I say it's time for a nasty letter.

Core407

Banned
Goddamn, game just froze on me during a cutscene with Vlad and it was right after he cockblocked me! Damnit.

Got a 20GB PS3 too

Baker

Banned
ScrabbleBanshee said:
The only positive thing I can say to those with launch units having a problem with the game is that it's a high profile game and that there is no way they don't have their best people on it debugging it as we speak.

Lazlo (sp?) was on O&A a couple weeks ago. He said pretty much the entire office was going on a month vacation after launch. :D

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
This might be a dumb question, but are you forced to install the game to the hard drive? Can you run it directly from disc?

If the problem is read/writes from the HDD, then it would make sens that the 360 would showcase the freeze less often, as less data is being streamed from the HDD. That said, this exact same thing happened with Oblivion on 360, and that title made heavy use of HDD streaming. The game would freeze, the audio would continue, and then you'd get a "Disc Unreadable" error if you waited around long enough.

:(

Big-E

Choke on the Magic said:
The QA credits are on the side of Romans car door in opening credits. I say it's time for a nasty letter.

Don't blame QA. QA usually finds everything in the game of note. Its the higher ups that decide to ship a bug. QA's job is to find them, producers and such decide if its worth fixing.

antiloop

urk said:
This might be a dumb question, but are you forced to install the game to the hard drive? Can you run it directly from disc?

If the problem is read/writes from the HDD, then it would make sens that the 360 would showcase the freeze less often, as less data is being streamed from the HDD. That said, this exact same thing happened with Oblivion on 360, and that title made heavy use of HDD streaming. The game would freeze, the audio would continue, and then you'd get a "Disc Unreadable" error if you waited around long enough.

Forced.

It could be a streaming engine bug. If it is, a patch should be on it's way. If it's faulty harddrives.. not so much. :(

I have had so many harddrives failing on me over the years so it wouldn't surprise me.

dark10x said:
Your office should have other PS3s available, right? Perhaps, if you have the chance, you could test your copy out on other machines. I know that's probably the last thing you want to do right now, but what other options are there?

Nevermind, that answers that.

Shit, this seems bad. This could be a real problem for casual gamers who lack an internet connection, I'd imagine (in the event that a patch is issued).

At least you've confirmed that the problem exists with specific systems. I don't know what else you could do to solve this problem, however.
only upside... not many casuals are likely to have launch PS3s.

Evlar

Banned
urk said:

PS3 has a forced install (not the entire game, but a sizeable chunk of it).

DeadGzuz

Banned
Here is what I see so far:

Marty Chinn xxGB PS3 Into lock-up?
Almyn EU 60GB (one lock-up)
dalin80's friend 360 (one lock-up)
ThirstyFly 60GB (lock-up on exit)
TheJollyCorner 20GB Into lock-up
TheMissingLink PS3 (one lock-up)
EviLore 60GB multi-freezes in game
DopeyFish 360 Elite (lock-up)
Chumly's roomate 60GB Into lock-up
Argyle 60GB Into lock-up?
J_Mourinho 360 Pal lock-up
jetjevons 60GB Into lock-up
Core407 20GB cut-scene lock-up
theBishop PS3 Into lock-up

Most are plain old in game bug lock-ups. Reset and play on. Some (PS3 specific) are the kind you get stuck in the intro or just after start of play and seem fatal. Still a pretty small list considering how many replies are in the thread.

Top Bottom