• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 11 GM leak, new info from 9to5mac (Face ID, Animoji, LTE Watch, True Tone, etc.)

Do you guys know how to read lol. That's not the UI for Face ID. that's for the initial setup. Referring to the posts from last page.

I hope the actual Face ID doesn't need nearly 8 secs to authenticate like this video.

that's the setup....it's akin to when you first set up your iPhone now and you have to keep pressing your finger down on different angles and stuff until the setup is over.

Crisis averted :p

Yeah, I just hope it's at least as fast if not faster than current fingerprint readers.

I feel like companies have only now gotten those to the point where they're nice and fast, and now we're jumping away from it and going for something completely different.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Nice to see the Braun inspired round calculator buttons back. I think apple's color / button layout is better though :p

Also the White fronts need to die. They don't (and won't ever) exist on the watches, laptops or iMacs. They look bad on the phones, and worse on the iPhone X bezel.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Why’s that? It’d be easier to drive on a smaller display, no?
I'm not certain Samsung's OLED displays can achieve that high of a refresh rate yet. Also not entirely sure it's needed for the phone... on an iPad Pro with Pencil input that's where you see a lot of benefits of ProMotion (it does look great in general, I'll admit).

Vuze

Imagine when cops can unlock your phone just by holding it up to your face
You can disable any biometric authentication by tapping the power button multiple times (iirc) in iOS 11. So if you attend any events or locales where you suspect to be checked, use this precautionary feature. It’s still unbelievable they are allowed to unlock it via fingerprint etc in the US (right? I think that’s where the highest court ruled about this vs PIN)

I'm not certain Samsung's OLED displays can achieve that high of a refresh rate yet. Also not entirely sure it's needed for the phone... on an iPad Pro with Pencil input that's where you see a lot of benefits of ProMotion (it does look great in general, I'll admit).
VR headsets run Samsung’s OLEDs at 90hz, not quite 120hz but I could see Apple calling that ProMotion on a phone.

IIRC OLED tech has an insanely fast refresh rate, much faster than LCD.

hirokazu

"Lines for privacy lorem ipsum and a second line that might include."

I love placeholder text.
Yeah, stuff like that are probably the reason the new phones are sometimes a couple build numbers higher than the GM released for existing devices. We’ve just never had the GM become available for dissection prior to the keynote before. This year has been crazy.

hirokazu

Switching to OLED for the iPhone would’ve been the perfect time to showcase it too because of OLED’s superior blacks.
Yeah I thought the smart invert was a good compromise to have it for those who wanted it but I tried it on iOS 11 and it was still super hit and miss on whether it inverted images or not. Wonder if they actually want to implement a dark mode at all.

hirokazu

I think that's being overly optimistic. I can't see Apple fully transitioning until they have multiple suppliers for each component (Samsung is their sole OLED supplier at the moment) and can absolutely guarantee they're able to produce 500 million iPhones a year or whatever.

I expect the traditional form factor to stick around until at least Fall 2019.
Even if the current form factor hangs around for one more year I don’t see all of the X-exclusive features trickling down to it. It’d likely become their budget range.

ronco2000

past rumors said no face id for apple pay because it's not secure enough

giphy.gif

KtSlime

I wonder how FaceID is going to work with Suica, it would be dangerous trying to walk through the gate trying to scan your face before tapping your phone.

I wonder how FaceID is going to work with Suica, it would be dangerous trying to walk through the gate trying to scan your face before tapping your phone.
Who says you have to point the phone right at your face to use it. My bet is it will even work at odd angles. Rumours say it could even work flat on a table.

You'd probably just tap it and by the time the phone gets there it'll have scanned you.

snap

Banned
that's not what's been said for at least a month now. Face ID is supposedly more secure (as in fewer false positives) than Touch ID.

i find that incredibly hard to believe, given how good Touch ID is and how okay my Windows Hello devices are

even adding in apple magic and assuming their implementation is far superior, still don't buy the idea it's better than touch id. plus if it was why were there rumors that they weren't going to let you use it for apple pay?

KtSlime

Who says you have to point the phone right at your face to use it. My bet is it will even work at odd angles. Rumours say it could even work flat on a table.

You'd probably just tap it and by the time the phone gets there it'll have scanned you.

My phone and my head are probably at a 110 degree angle when walking through the ticket gate, I'd be surprised if the phone can see my face from there, but I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

SuperPac

i find that incredibly hard to believe, given how good Touch ID is and how okay my Windows Hello devices are

even adding in apple magic and assuming their implementation is far superior, still don't buy the idea it's better than touch id. plus if it was why were there rumors that they weren't going to let you use it for apple pay?

Kinda similar to how Touch ID was way better than other fingerprint scanners on other phones pre-5s. They'd have to have a huge amount of confidence in face id if they’re replacing Touch ID completely with it. I expect to see demos of things like twins, facial hair, tans, glasses, piercings, hair color and more. If they got it right then they fixed everything about face identification that’s so far been wrong.

I hadn’t read any rumor that they weren’t going to use face id for Apple Pay. They would no way ditch Apple Pay on the X. It’s too big a feature.

Bad timing for the new The Talk Show podcast; Gruber's opening words were "I'm excited for this Apple event since we know almost nothing" or something to that extent. He recorded it Friday, I think.

Garou

Suica doesn't need TouchID, so it wouldn't need FaceID either. It's using the "Express"-option of ApplePay.

Blackhead

Redarse
Bad timing for the new The Talk Show podcast; Gruber's opening words were "I'm excited for this Apple event since we know almost nothing" or something to that extent. He recorded it Friday, I think.

Marco and Viticci said similar stuff on their podcasts in recent weeks. almost a meme already

lwDuQyi.png

snap

Banned
Kinda similar to how Touch ID was way better than other fingerprint scanners on other phones pre-5s. They'd have to have a huge amount of confidence in face id if they’re replacing Touch ID completely with it. I expect to see demos of things like twins, facial hair, tans, glasses, piercings, hair color and more. If they got it right then they fixed everything about face identification that’s so far been wrong.

I hadn’t read any rumor that they weren’t going to use face id for Apple Pay. They would no way ditch Apple Pay on the X. It’s too big a feature.

Touch ID was a completely new and different type of fingerprint scanner. Face ID is using technology that actually exists and is implemented in Windows Hello.

And Apple Pay would work with a passcode or password.

Top Bottom